Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL fines referee for swearing on open mic

shakedownstreet

I suppose this fine is justifiable, but in general I am getting quite sick of all the fines the NFL is handing out now days. I'm more upset with the amount of the fines for plays that when you watch them seem so silly. Assessing fines of $30,000 or more for very mild helmet to helmet contact is just robbery to me. Especially when a player is making a very good tackle, and the contact is made due to hustle and not purposefully flagrant. These fines are definitely very serious on players who are not making the top tier pay in the NFL.

A player who is making $300,000 a year who gets 4 $30,000 fines in one year has lost $120,000. That is some serious cash, and they make the process almost impossible to appeal, or get the fine significantly reduced. I think they need to do a heck of a lot better job with how they arrive at what deserves a fine, and how much they should assess for the fine. The current process sucks to me, and it discourages players from executing their job properly because they are afraid of being fined.

I suppose this fine is justifiable, but in general I am getting quite sick of all the fines the NFL is handing out now days. I'm more upset with the amount of the fines for plays that when you watch them seem so silly. Assessing fines of $30,000 or more for very mild helmet to helmet contact is just robbery to me. Especially when a player is making a very good tackle, and the contact is made due to hustle and not purposefully flagrant. These fines are definitely very serious on players who are not making the top tier pay in the NFL.

A player who is making $300,000 a year who gets 4 $30,000 fines in one year has lost $120,000. That is some serious cash, and they make the process almost impossible to appeal, or get the fine significantly reduced. I think they need to do a heck of a lot better job with how they arrive at what deserves a fine, and how much they should assess for the fine. The current process sucks to me, and it discourages players from executing their job properly because they are afraid of being fined.

An excellent point Krunk! Not every player in the NFL has a $5 million dollar contract and you are paid to hit, tackle, & stop your opponent by any means necessary. If you don't, you get cut, & replaced usually within 1 week. These fines are getting ridiculous IMO. So all swearing is finable now? Um did Goodell have a swear jar in his office during CBA negotiations too? I highly doubt it. haha

An excellent point Krunk! Not every player in the NFL has a $5 million dollar contract and you are paid to hit, tackle, & stop your opponent by any means necessary. If you don't, you get cut, & replaced usually within 1 week. These fines are getting ridiculous IMO. So all swearing is finable now? Um did Goodell have a swear jar in his office during CBA negotiations too? I highly doubt it. haha

I've hated almost every last minute of his time as commissioner. Football was real when Rozelle, and Tagliabue where running things. I liked the game much more. Goodell just makes you want to throw up with all of his stubborn ways and heavy handedness!

I've hated almost every last minute of his time as commissioner. Football was real when Rozelle, and Tagliabue where running things. I liked the game much more. Goodell just makes you want to throw up with all of his stubborn ways and heavy handedness!

I used to kind of admire his attempt to crack down on discipline and player unruliness until I saw how Goodell's sloppy rush to judgment on the NO Saints.

Sorry Bogie & all Saints fans you deserve better than this as a fan base. :facepalm::sigh:

new_orleans_saints_wallpaper-926881-278961.jpeg

They have to crack down on things like this. The NFL, mainly Goodell is so concerned with PR and safety (off topic) that they'll do what they must. Not to say a player caught swearing on the field will get fined, but a ref who has full control of what is said during the game should be fined. If I opened my mic on accident or purpose and said the things like that, I'd expect to be fined as well.