Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Are Retaining Chad Spann

Andy

Why would we keep him. Addai, Brown, james, Carter , and Evans are better than him. Could this mean we're trading Brown or Addai...? Thoughts on his retaining, and the possibility of a trade?

Reports we are keeping him till a "trade" is completed and then he will released to go to the Practice Squad.

Reports we are keeping him till a "trade" is completed and then he will released to go to the Practice Squad.

Spann is an excellent, natural runner. He has the best running form of any Rb on the Colts roster.

I don't understand though having him on the active roster until a trade is made and then moving him to the PS. Unless they think he would get picked up if released right now but that the dust will settle and they will have a better chance to sign him to the practice squad a week later. I would like to your explanation, you seem to have a better grasp of that kind of stuff.

I hope they trade Brown but who will they trade for...OL?

Well the trade will probably be a draft pick in next year's draft that we give up. If we were giving up a player there would be no reason to release Spann after the trade was made.

Your guess is as good as mine as to what the trade is for.

Spann is an excellent, natural runner. He has the best running form of any Rb on the Colts roster.

I don't understand though having him on the active roster until a trade is made and then moving him to the PS. Unless they think he would get picked up if released right now but that the dust will settle and they will have a better chance to sign him to the practice squad a week later. I would like to your explanation, you seem to have a better grasp of that kind of stuff.

I read it on the message board that JMV was tweeting it. I have no insider info.

I read it on the message board that JMV was tweeting it. I have no insider info.

I'm not looking for inside info, just your speculation. I understand the Xs and Os of football and game planning but I don't have a good enough understanding of the operations side, your speculation of what the team is thinking usually proves to be fairly accurate, so that is what I was looking for, just your ideas on how the trade would work and why Spann is on the active roster but then to the PS after the trade.

I'm not looking for inside info, just your speculation. I understand the Xs and Os of football and game planning but I don't have a good enough understanding of the operations side, your speculation of what the team is thinking usually proves to be fairly accurate, so that is what I was looking for, just your ideas on how the trade would work and why Spann is on the active roster but then to the PS after the trade.

Oh I am basing that off the reports that they are planning to release Spann to the PS after the trade. If we were going to give up a player there would be no reason to release Spann since the traded player would open up a roster spot. So that's why I am guessing if the reports are true it would be a pick we gave up for him.

My guess is they didn't cut Spann right now becuase the trade could fall threw and Spann was the next guy they wanted on the roster.

Why would we keep him. Addai, Brown, james, Carter , and Evans are better than him. Could this mean we're trading Brown or Addai...? Thoughts on his retaining, and the possibility of a trade?

Personally, I felt that both Spann and Evans outperformed James and Brown (definitely Brown). Plus if you look at the stats (which yes I know it's not all about stats) then you see that in the preseason Spann averaged 3.9 ypc, James at 3.7 ypc and Brown with an abysmal 1.9 ypc.

THIS explains everything, 4rbs on the roster signing a FB, signing of the former 1st round picks.... lol the colts are never truthful when it comes to injury.. I was saying it when the colts started signing these defensive players something aint right with peyton.

Please tell me you're kidding. Yes he failed at the return position which is what some seem to focus on. But he was far from the worst RB we have. He was arguably the third best back we have. I say arguably because he and Evans were very similar. But most fans seem to favor Evans. I suspect that has something to do with the hometown hero sentiment. But you need not worry about it this year. We put him on IR so we can keep him for next year.