Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Drake Nevis Made Tommie Harris Expendable

Colts20593

Don't get me wrong, I wanted to keep Harris. However I feel that the play of Drake Nevis along with Harris' injury history made him expendable. In the preseason Nevis impressed the most out of probably anybody along the d line. Now I'm just kind of wondering what this rumored trade would be for, DT? Corner?

Drake Nevis stepped it up in the preseason, and Tommie Harris didn't. Tommie Harris doesn't know the playbook that well either, and he has a history of injury problems. Looking at it now, it's not such a big cut.

Probably right. We'll know if it was a good decision or not if Harris is picked up and performs for someone else.

but he has been a beast at stopping the run this pre-season along with Johnson. Even without Harris I am feeling pretty good about our DT spot going into the season. We'll see how it works out.

Johnson and Moala was solid in the final games against Titans (x2), Jaguars and Raiders last season too.

I'm a bit disappointed that Tommie Harris didn't stay on the team, but I guess he was cut for a reason.

But the positive of that is, that Drake Nevis will se the field plenty. Nevis really catched my eye for LSU in 2010 college football season, and he stood out everytime I watched LSU Tigers. I was thrilled when the Colts drafted him!!!

Drake Nevis stepped it up in the preseason, and Tommie Harris didn't. Tommie Harris doesn't know the playbook that well either, and he has a history of injury problems. Looking at it now, it's not such a big cut.

The playbook? He's a 3-technique Under Tackle in a cover-2 scheme just like he was for the Bears. Everyone focuses on the Colts run defense, but the fact of the matter, they also struggled getting off the field on 3rd downs because off a poor pass rush last season. On 3rd downs, Foster and Dawson would come in together and provide nothing. Imagine what Freeney and Mathis could do with Harris and Nevis going after the QB with them. For some reason, this coaching staff thinks Foster provides more of a pass rush than Harris.

Are you serious? tommie performed very well in the preseason he was in on some tackles and got a sack id say thats pretty good. im guessing they are gonna go with youth rather than veteran presence on the line this season. i really like nevis but my mentality is that you cant have enough talent and harris was pretty good.

Eric Foster 2010 - 3.5 sacks

Tommie Harris 2010 - 1.5 sacks

I'm pretty sure foster can provide a good pass rush. I would have liked to keep harris, but if nevis steps up like the colts staff think he can then I see no problem in letting him go.

Foster cannot play the run at all like harris, plus harris was never on a team with two book ends like the colts have.

Foster cannot play the run at all like harris, plus harris was never on a team with two book ends like the colts have.

Well there is clearly a reason we cut him. I am guessing that they liked what they saw from who we kept more than what they did what they saw from Harris. I think the fact he did miss two games due to injury in the pre-season did not help his cause.

It's cause we have never needed foster to play against the run. Moala and Johnson are there for that purpose. For whatever reason they cut harris I don't know, but they did it for a reason.

Eric Foster 2010 - 3.5 sacks

Tommie Harris 2010 - 1.5 sacks

I'm pretty sure foster can provide a good pass rush. I would have liked to keep harris, but if nevis steps up like the colts staff think he can then I see no problem in letting him go.

Give me the last four years and were any of Foster's sacks from DE. Listen, I'm not dogging Foster. He's a decent player and what he brings to the table at DT was often negated by lining up next to Dawson. He can help at DE too. You can't tell me the Colts couldn't use Harris for depth and experience when his contract was only $900,000 this season though. John Gill makes the team over Harris and Mathews, I don't get it.

Look, I would have liked to have seen Harris make it also.

The fact of the matter is that he was available for a reason.

Here in Chicago, they were thrilled to have him out of town, and wondered what Indy saw in him recently to interest them.

Perhaps he's a bad attitude guy in the locker room, and his play didn't justify overlooking it. We wouldn't see that on the field, nor in a press snippet.

We all knew this was a little risk, high reward issue, and it didn't work out. We'll move on now.

Are you serious? tommie performed very well in the preseason he was in on some tackles and got a sack id say thats pretty good. im guessing they are gonna go with youth rather than veteran presence on the line this season. i really like nevis but my mentality is that you cant have enough talent and harris was pretty good.

What I meant is that Harris didn't step it up like Nevis did.

Give me the last four years and were any of Foster's sacks from DE. Listen, I'm not dogging Foster. He's a decent player and what he brings to the table at DT was often negated by lining up next to Dawson. He can help at DE too. You can't tell me the Colts couldn't use Harris for depth and experience when his contract was only $900,000 this season though. John Gill makes the team over Harris and Mathews, I don't get it.

Im right there with on Foster. Yes he has a good motor, but he is more suited for the DE posisition IMO. In all fairness, we don't actually know Gill has made the team to my knowledge. He could also be gone.

Foster hasn't even been in the league a full 4 years. What do you think the stats are going to look like? Ricardo was cut and it isn't even set in stone if Gill made it on the roster. For all we know Harris could be signed again by the colts within the next 24 hours and Gill gets cut. I'm not saying the Colts couldn't have used him for depth and experience that's not even my point. I would have liked to see Harris make it, but he had to be cut for a reason. It could have been medical or it could have been financial (from making room on cap, to setting up for a trade, etc.), but it had to be for a valid reason.

Look, I would have liked to have seen Harris make it also.

The fact of the matter is that he was available for a reason.

Here in Chicago, they were thrilled to have him out of town, and wondered what Indy saw in him recently to interest them.

Perhaps he's a bad attitude guy in the locker room, and his play didn't justify overlooking it. We wouldn't see that on the field, nor in a press snippet.

We all knew this was a little risk, high reward issue, and it didn't work out. We'll move on now.

Exactly I think a lot of Colts decided we were getting the Harris of three or four years ago before he ever steped on the field. If he was still that player we wouldn't have gotten him for so cheap and there is no way we would have cut him. For whatever reason, (and it could be stuff in the lockerroom or what they saw of him in practice) they didn't like what they saw or at least didn't like him more than the other guys we kept. I think we already lost one DT due to numbers in Mathews, Harris could have been in the same boat.

Exactly I think a lot of Colts decided we were getting the Harris of three or four years ago before he ever steped on the field. If he was still that player we wouldn't have gotten him for so cheap and there is no way we would have cut him. For whatever reason, (and it could be stuff in the lockerroom or what they saw of him in practice) they didn't like what they saw or at least didn't like him more than the other guys we kept. I think we already lost one DT due to numbers in Mathews, Harris could have been in the same boat.

I had no illusions of getting the all-pro Tommie Harris, but a guy who could provide 12-15 snaps a game in passing situations. Teamed with Nevis, Mathis, and Freeney that could have been a line that really got after the QB. Mathis tweeted that he was disappointed that Harris was released and her learned a lot from his friend, Tommie Harris. So, I have a hard time believing that he was bad in the locker room. This team has had zero pass rush from the DT position. I was excited about the depth at DT.

I had no illusions of getting the all-pro Tommie Harris, but a guy who could provide 12-15 snaps a game in passing situations. Teamed with Nevis, Mathis, and Freeney that could have been a line that really got after the QB. Mathis tweeted that he was disappointed that Harris was released and her learned a lot from his friend, Tommie Harris. So, I have a hard time believing that he was bad in the locker room. This team has had zero pass rush from the DT position. I was excited about the depth at DT.

The playbook? He's a 3-technique Under Tackle in a cover-2 scheme just like he was for the Bears. Everyone focuses on the Colts run defense, but the fact of the matter, they also struggled getting off the field on 3rd downs because off a poor pass rush last season. On 3rd downs, Foster and Dawson would come in together and provide nothing. Imagine what Freeney and Mathis could do with Harris and Nevis going after the QB with them. For some reason, this coaching staff thinks Foster provides more of a pass rush than Harris.

agree with you, wanted Harris, unless was an injury issue

What I meant is that Harris didn't step it up like Nevis did.

Well that is true Nevis seems like the real deal... I remember someone saying there are players who come into the league and just get it and you know they are gonna be good players... nevis is that guy... he could very well be our tommie harris.

Well there is clearly a reason we cut him. I am guessing that they liked what they saw from who we kept more than what they did what they saw from Harris. I think the fact he did miss two games due to injury in the pre-season did not help his cause.

I has to be because of those two games, kinda shows the colts really like where they are at DT... though im not sold on moala i think nevis should have his spot but we'll see.

So what if he was "in on some tackles"? A lot of people were also.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. I didn't get the chance to watch any preseason games this year so I don't have an opinion one way or the other on this, but being "in on some tackles" is not exactly a glowing accolade for a DT.

2 plays in 4 games is pretty good? Wow. So what if he was "in on some tackles"? A lot of people were also. Seriously, give it a rest man, your song and dance is getting old.

Who is this character? he got that sack against the packers on a critical down so yea i would say thats pretty good and big..

Who is this character? he got that sack against the packers on a critical down so yea i would say thats pretty good and big..

It's also one play. I think now that he's been cut it's safe to say the Colts either liked what the other guys did as a whole more or didn't like what Harris did the rest of the time as a whole.

Paul kuharsky's take:

Surprise moves: Tommie Harris seemed to play well enough to stick, but the former first-round defensive tackle apparently wanted to be treated like the team’s top defensive linemen and the team didn’t like the attitude. Defensive end John Chick had solid games, but couldn’t get past Jerry Hughes. Undrafted rookie tight end Mike McNeill made it as did four others who were not April selections: running backs Darren Evans and Chad Spann, linebackerAdrian Moten and safety Joe Lefeged.

What’s next: They’ve got only four defensive tackles in Fili Moala, Antonio Johnson, Eric Foster and Drake Nevis. It could be a spot where they look to add or updrade on Foster. Offensive linemen Mike Pollak and Jamey Richard will have to prove they deserved to stick ahead of Kyle DeVan.

That could very well explain the Harris cut it might have been something that had nothing to do with on the field issues and something that happened where none of us saw. There Bears dumped him for his attitude and it could be the Colts did the same.

It's also one play. I think now that he's been cut it's safe to say the Colts either liked what the other guys did as a whole more or didn't like what Harris did the rest of the time as a whole.

I think the liked what they saw in the players they have and the fact that he got injured in the preseason, cause he showed enough to stay on the team i think.

Paul kuharsky's take:

Surprise moves: Tommie Harris seemed to play well enough to stick, but the former first-round defensive tackle apparently wanted to be treated like the team’s top defensive linemen and the team didn’t like the attitude. Defensive end John Chick had solid games, but couldn’t get past Jerry Hughes. Undrafted rookie tight end Mike McNeill made it as did four others who were not April selections: running backs Darren Evans and Chad Spann, linebackerAdrian Moten and safety Joe Lefeged.

What’s next: They’ve got only four defensive tackles in Fili Moala, Antonio Johnson, Eric Foster and Drake Nevis. It could be a spot where they look to add or updrade on Foster. Offensive linemen Mike Pollak and Jamey Richard will have to prove they deserved to stick ahead of Kyle DeVan.

That could very well explain the Harris cut it might have been something that had nothing to do with on the field issues and something that happened where none of us saw. There Bears dumped him for his attitude and it could be the Colts did the same.

If thats the case then i think it was a bad move by the colts i mean fine if he wants to be treated like that let him get that play time if he shows anything less than stellar dump him... You never know but the colts may regret letting him go later on.

I think the liked what they saw in the players they have and the fact that he got injured in the preseason, cause he showed enough to stay on the team i think.

Read what I said above from Paul Kuharsky. Sounds like he was let go because of issues in the lockerroom which is something none of us were ever going to see and reneforces the idea that once again the Polians and Caldwell have access to information we don't when these cuts are made.

Read what I said above from Paul Kuharsky. Sounds like he was let go because of issues in the lockerroom which is something none of us were ever going to see and reneforces the idea that once again the Polians and Caldwell have access to information we don't when these cuts are made.

"Tommie Harris seemed to play well enough to stick, but the former first-round defensive tackle apparently wanted to be treated like the team’s top defensive linemen and the team didn’t like the attitude." - PK

A definite shame if that is the true reason he was cut. Definitely a disappointment in Harris and in the situation it put the Colts in.

To say that Tommie Harris didn't know the play book is not true. He comes from the Tampa Two system, and for a D- Lineman it is nothing but gap control and getting a put up the field that is not hard to understand. What I believe it was the Colts front office loves young guys Nevis is young and he had a good preseason. Harris is a veteran that had has a few injuries to his knees. I hate to see him go but why take a change during the season when you have to pay him is contract. I feel with Harris not in there it is going to hurt, he brings the veteran leadership that you need on a team. Moila gets blown off of the ball, Foster gets washed down the line alot but has shown signs that he is making progress. I'm in between on this one, I wish Harris was still with the team but the money they were going to spend on Harris can be put somewhere else. GO Colts.

That is too funny, he thought he was the best tackle on the team. Funny because.....he was!!!!!! I was actually excited about him and Nevis on the inside. That would've been a decent front four. Front office really needs to wake up. So they would rather keep a terrible player that is quiet, than a boisterous one with talent? I'm talking about Painter btw!!!!!! If I'm a GM, every signing a make is with the vision of that player being able to start now or eventually down the road in a few years. Clearly, Painter doesn't have a future of ever running the show with the Colts so why hang on to him......Oh, I forgot this was about Tommie Harris.....that wasn't a smart cut!!!!