Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Remember when we didnt have a team?

oldunclemark

Remember.....?

Grigson and Pagano deserve credit and they will get it but they were not with the organization in January

There was a time last winter when we didnt have any quarterbacks on the roster..at all

..at one time, we didnt have enough players under contract to hold a scrimmage..

Remember the day we let all the old favorites go...6 of them?

remember when we didnt have a team? It was too sad to think about and It wasnt that long ago...

Look at where we are now. :mod:

.......It really is a miracle

Remember when we had to shove toothpicks in our eyelids to watch Curtis Painter?

*shudders*

As a STH, I don't ever recall having so much trouble staying focused on the games as I did last year. This year has been markedly more interesting, W/L record aside.

Last year was fine. Even the losses. It was all setting up the days of Andrew Luck

I thought last year was a nightmare..I would never want to go through it against a fan....

..to lose all those stars and to be so barren and broken ....to watch everybody kicked out...including a legend and an icon

Not even to get some body like Andrew..I would never want to see any franchise do that ..

.....but it has turned around and I can t help marvel at how fast its all come new

Remember when we had to shove toothpicks in our eyelids to watch Curtis Painter?

*shudders*

*shudders*

Remember when the act of shoving those toothpicks into our eyelids was far less painful than watching Curtis Painter?

No doubt in my mind Polian "Managed" the season to go for Luck. I will Always be grateful for that.

I understand the sentiment, and can get fans feeling that way, but really struggle to imagine that a whole team of proud and accomplished men would just lie down and intentionally lose for rights to a draft prospect.

I thought last year was a nightmare..I would never want to go through it against a fan....

..to lose all those stars and to be so barren and broken ....to watch everybody kicked out...including a legend and an icon

Not even to get some body like Andrew..I would never want to see any franchise do that ..

.....but it has turned around and I can t help marvel at how fast its all come new

Last year was awful, and I was more upset that we let The Three C's (Caldwell, Coyer and Christiansen) continue leading the team than anything else. Especially after the Saints game, it was just painfully obvious that our coaches didn't get it.

But once the season was over, even with the releases, it was easy to see that brighter days were coming. There was a period in March where it hurt to be a Colts fan. That will always be a painful memory. But I always thought that, with smart moves, we could get back on track.

The other releases weren't that big of a deal to me; in my mind, we'd been without those players for two years anyways. You're right though: there was a stretch there where our roster was threadbare. We had no quarterbacks, one tight end, two receivers, two corners, etc. There was a lot of work to be done.

Once Grigson and Pagano rounded out their staff, they got to work filling the roster. The first signing Grigson made was Jerrell Freeman. I think that gets a passing grade. He continued working on the roster, making trades and low level moves. Then he started setting up his draft board, and we came away with a draft class that's already seen six of the ten picks make significant contributions to the team.

He's done a great job. I thought so before camp started. He made more moves in camp that have had an impact on our team (Fokou, Davis, etc.) I think our front office knocked this offseason out of the park. The more the results show up on the field, the more convinced I am of it. It's like Jim Irsay said the other day: If Ryan Grigson isn't already the Executive of the Year, I don't know what to say.

*shudders*

I didn't really blame Painter he was trying to do the best job he could. It's not his fault he was in a situation he should have never been in. That goes on the coaches and GM and that's why they are no longer here.

Last year was a nightmare, it had to be for Colts fans.

I'm sure the St. Louis Rams fans thought it was a nightmare as well. I wouldn't know personally from their perspective since I'm not a Rams fan but looking at it from here, I would say they would consider it a nightmare since their team was also losing nearly every game they played.

I understand the sentiment, and can get fans feeling that way, but really struggle to imagine that a whole team of proud and accomplished men would just lie down and intentionally lose for rights to a draft prospect.

well we never really thought that these proud and accomplished men we call football players (not the colts but players in general) would ever take money to intentionally hurt other players either.

I can't stand it when people say we "sucked for Luck"....b/c it is not true. Last year was hard, but the team fought in every game (well maybe they gave up in the Saints game). They took Pittsburgh to the wire, Tampa Bay as well, came back late on New England, and showed a lot of fight. An organization "tanking" for a QB generally doesn't clean out the entire front office and release 75% of the veteran players. Last season showed us all that Polian had built a house of cards and losing Peyton caused the house to collapse. Polian did some great things, I won't take it away from him, but it became increasingly clear he wasn't getting the job done the past several seasons. Irsay saw this. Remember too, no one was sure Peyton would come back (hindsight is 20/20), at the time a lot said he may not play EVER again. That's a big risk to take. I think we got lucky (pun intended), Manning was in a lot of pain in 2010 and what if a hard hit put him out then? But signing Collins late in training camp and paying him $4 million tells me they weren't tanking. They just had never prepared for a team without Manning. And when the losses mounted, Irsay saw the writing on the wall and blew up the whole thing. The "suck for Luck" crap is illogical, and stupid.