Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CFL Players coming to the NFL

CanuckColtsFan

I pay attention to CFL players moving to the NFL as I live in a town with a CFL team, the Calgary Stampeders. It's been great to see the recent sucess stories with Jerrell Freeman and Brandon Browner.

Freeman used to come into Calgary and rip it up. I always thought Brandon Browner was special. He played for the Stamps and I went to many games and always figured he was our best defensive player.

I find the way the NFL has changed into a passing league really gives CFL defensive players more of a chance to make and impact in the NFL. The CFL has been a monster passing league for as long as I can remember. With 3 downs and a much bigger feild including a massive end zone the CFL is just made for bombs. I find a lot of the defensive player coming out of the CFL have tons of range and ball skills. Im waiting for a CFL DE to make a big splash soon, I was hoping it would be John Chick but I guess I was wrong.

Any ways our playoffs are starting this week and I invite you all to check it out. The stamps look great this year and we have a RB, John Cornish, who just set the league record for most rushing yards by a Canadian RB. A 50 year old record. I think it would be cool if he got picked up by an NFL team.

In closing I expect too see more guys hone their skills in the CFL before moving into the NFL. The last few years our league has really upped its quality.

Thanks for the post CanuckColtsFan!!!

I know we are very happy with the play of Jerrell Freeman (4th in the league in tackles) and Justin Hickman has contributed on special teams as well as some plays spelling a tired LB core. Seattle is mesmerized over the size and abilitiy of 6'4 220 cornerback Brandon Browner for sure! I love watching him play.

That said, I had heard of Cornish, but it was for his now famous 'moon job.' :) Undrafted and straight to Calgary...now 28. Getting close to that 30 yrs old that worry scouts and GMs on RBs. Here are very little highlights from college I could find. Maybe you could find more from a Canadian source to support his running and style that 'fits' the NFL. Thanks for the post! :)

Im waiting for a CFL DE to make a big splash soon, I was hoping it would be John Chick but I guess I was wrong.

Didn't Cameron Wake come from the CFL?

I agree though, I know we've added 3 or 4 defensive players from the CFL to our roster in recent years; Chick, Hickman, Freeman. Since it's such a passing league, I'd love it if Grigson found us a nice Brandon Browner success story at CB.....especially if he's 6'4.

Didn't Cameron Wake come from the CFL?

I agree though, I know we've added 3 or 4 defensive players from the CFL to our roster in recent years; Chick, Hickman, Freeman. Since it's such a passing league, I'd love it if Grigson found us a nice Brandon Browner success story at CB.....especially if he's 6'4.

Derek Cameron Wake (born January 30, 1982) is an American football Defensive End for the Miami Dolphins of the National Football League. He was signed by the New York Giants as an undrafted free agent in 2005. He played college football at Penn State.

Wake has also played for the BC Lions of the Canadian Football League, earning the league's Most Outstanding Rookie Awardin 2007. He recorded 39 sacks over his first two seasons in the CFL, earning Western Division All-Star honors as well as theMost Outstanding Defensive Player Award both years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameron_Wake

Yeah, there's some good talent in the CFL. There have been many players that have been able to make the jump. I think part of the reason is that the CFL field is bigger, so the players (especially defensive players) might have to be more athletic to cover more area despite having 12 players on the field at all times per side. Overall though, I think the NFL is a far better league than the CFL.

No one is questioning that. Still it has some good games. This year I had 50 yard line tickets for a 24 point comeback ending in OT. This will be the 100th Grey Cup. It's actually a pretty old league with a lot of history

Gotta respect our football brothers to the north. I wish I could watch CFL games, it would be a thousand times better than Arena League.

Gotta respect our football brothers to the north. I wish I could watch CFL games, it would be a thousand times better than Arena League.

I wish we would still get CFL games down here. I do not watch the Arena 'stuff.' I remember first getting cable....watching the snow flying to the games. Then again back then we got a dose of Australian rules Football too :)

21 is correct....nothing like the NFL, but the CFL has brought us some recent talent and would be fun if we could readily evaluate said talent better as fans. I guess we can leave that to Grigs.....and Telesco..... :thmup: