Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rewatching The Game

Coffeedrinker

Here is one example of why I like Thomas

It's 3rd and 8 the ball is at Cincy's 33 yard line.

Thomas%252520Jam.JPG

Nice Jame within 1 yard of the LOS

Thomas%252520Jam2.JPG

Then after the jam he is in position to make the stop well short of the first down, even if they throw to his receiver.

Unfortunately, on this play either Johnson did not go deep enough in his zone or Caldwell went too deep (or maybe Thomas was not supposed to jam but rather drop back into an 8-12 yard zone) and Shipley was wide open on a post to the sideline for a first down.

While I think Lacey is a good CB to have for as a nickle and dime back, he is just not physical enough to do this.

I love the fact that he's not 10 yards off of the receiver like some of our other CBs. My question is: is Coyer teaching only CBs like Lacey, Power, and Tryon to play so far off and not Thomas or is Thomas taking matters into his own hands on this play? I am really liking what I am seeing from Thomas. Hopefully he plays a significant amount of time in the regular season to get some experience under his belt.

I love the fact that he's not 10 yards off of the receiver like some of our other CBs. My question is: is Coyer teaching only CBs like Lacey, Power, and Tryon to play so far off and not Thomas or is Thomas taking matters into his own hands on this play? I am really liking what I am seeing from Thomas. Hopefully he plays a significant amount of time in the regular season to get some experience under his belt.

i think it was just thomas doing what he wanted because as coffee pointed out, there was a busted coverage leaving shipley wide open course could be it was someone elses fault and thomas was doing what he was suppose to who knows all i know is someone got an ear full when the coaches played footage of that play haha

Back when I played (I really hate guys who start with that, sorry) all of us had a sense of our closing abilities. We knew how much gap we could give and recover. Especially when you had some tape or played the other team before. Of course, I'm talking HS. I never played against anything at the pro level facing a QB that could fire a frozen rope to the receiver.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that a coach usually knows what he has to work with, and sets the D up accordingly. I have to assume Coyer is the same way. All that said, and I still wonder why our guys give so much cushion when we're counting on the ball coming out in no time due to our Dline pressure.