Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rewatching The Game

Coffeedrinker

Here is one example of why I like Thomas

It's 3rd and 8 the ball is at Cincy's 33 yard line.

Thomas%252520Jam.JPG

Nice Jame within 1 yard of the LOS

Thomas%252520Jam2.JPG

Then after the jam he is in position to make the stop well short of the first down, even if they throw to his receiver.

Unfortunately, on this play either Johnson did not go deep enough in his zone or Caldwell went too deep (or maybe Thomas was not supposed to jam but rather drop back into an 8-12 yard zone) and Shipley was wide open on a post to the sideline for a first down.

While I think Lacey is a good CB to have for as a nickle and dime back, he is just not physical enough to do this.

I love the fact that he's not 10 yards off of the receiver like some of our other CBs. My question is: is Coyer teaching only CBs like Lacey, Power, and Tryon to play so far off and not Thomas or is Thomas taking matters into his own hands on this play? I am really liking what I am seeing from Thomas. Hopefully he plays a significant amount of time in the regular season to get some experience under his belt.

I love the fact that he's not 10 yards off of the receiver like some of our other CBs. My question is: is Coyer teaching only CBs like Lacey, Power, and Tryon to play so far off and not Thomas or is Thomas taking matters into his own hands on this play? I am really liking what I am seeing from Thomas. Hopefully he plays a significant amount of time in the regular season to get some experience under his belt.

i think it was just thomas doing what he wanted because as coffee pointed out, there was a busted coverage leaving shipley wide open course could be it was someone elses fault and thomas was doing what he was suppose to who knows all i know is someone got an ear full when the coaches played footage of that play haha

Back when I played (I really hate guys who start with that, sorry) all of us had a sense of our closing abilities. We knew how much gap we could give and recover. Especially when you had some tape or played the other team before. Of course, I'm talking HS. I never played against anything at the pro level facing a QB that could fire a frozen rope to the receiver.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that a coach usually knows what he has to work with, and sets the D up accordingly. I have to assume Coyer is the same way. All that said, and I still wonder why our guys give so much cushion when we're counting on the ball coming out in no time due to our Dline pressure.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Thread of the Week

• Topics

• I don't accept your description that its trolling.  Trolling is intentionally saying something simply to stir the pot...to muck up the works.   If this got to a national level.... to a general football loving base, sports loving base, or general population, you don't know that the responses would be limited to just Colts fans.  You may have thousands of people who would see the Jeff hire as simply a rich white billionaire hiring is buddy over more qualified candidates.....maybe even minorities.....and would sign the petition to voice their concerns over such .    Which would be a concern to them beyond caring how many Ws and Ls Jeff might cause.     If Jeff is hired, there will be questions from general football fans, sports fans, or the population asking "What does this hire say about the NFL?"   I'd wager that the possibility of Irsay "hiring his buddy over other candidates" already has grated on enough people to contribute to their existing opinion about whether or not Jeff should be hired.    And this is the type of emotion the media morphs into and taps into.  Effectively, the media trolls the population trying to get them all triggered up.   Besides.  Petitions by their nature are one sided.  10,000 signatures may sound like a lot, but it may be less than the 11,000 signatures that would support Jeff for HC if an actual poll was the medium used for fan expression.  Or less than the 150,000 opinions who are comfortable leaving it up to the owner to hire the HC he wants for the reasons he wants.  These opinions would never be known, because if you are comfortable leaving it up to the owner, you are the type of person who is not going to sign a petition in the first place.  Petitions are a form of activism, and most people aren't activists.  And most activists could care less if their opinion is in the minority, they just want their opinion to prevail.
    • If Ballard believed in Br that much he would have drafted him in R2at 53.  He was considered by some to be 1st R talent.  BR slid from where he was projected.  He was there and CB took him, but this certainly wasn’t the strategy .  We will wait until a projected 1st or 2nd rounder whom I really like slips to 77.    
    • I don’t watch ball but I’m curious why you think he’s gonna bust?  He produced pretty good for perennial cellar dwelling SEC team with a brutal schedule just looking at it in oveRview ,  especially his junior year.
    • I have this feeling about Richardson becoming a stud in the NFL, not backed up by any data, he just feels like someone who can compete in this age
  • Members

• ClaytonC

ClaytonC 54

• Boss7894

Boss7894 96

• jvan1973

jvan1973 8,741

• Trace Pyott

Trace Pyott 256

• DougDew

DougDew 6,611

• crazycolt1