Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Tressel Now A Colts Employee (Merge)

grmasterb

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My gut tells me there is more to this than Tressel just brought in to watch replays and game clock.

The NFL has increased the number of plays that they(the refs) automatically check.

For example, ALL scores are automatically checked by the officials upstairs.

I think there is a bigger reason he was brought in. I just can't put my finger on it.........yet.

Guest BlueShoe

This hiring disturbs me too.

People think Tressel's misconduct at Ohio State was minor, but remember that his suspensions were issued while information was still coming out - his decision to resign was an attempt to avoid stronger punishments still to come. No, he did not cheat on the field, his players were breaking NCAA rules (taking cash, cars, and tattoos) and he not only did not report them, he lied to cover up what they were doing and did nothing to stop them from continuing. It started at Youngstown State, continued almost immediately after he was hired at Ohio State, and went on until he resigned in disgrace. During the whole time, he wore an image of almost saintly propriety... while urinating on the rules behind everyone's back.

He may not be the worst coach out there, but he puts winning ahead of honor, and that is NOT something I have ever until now associated with the Colts.

I guess we should just tell Vick that we changed our minds and the football world has decided not to give him a second chance after all. Tressel's issues are just way more harsh than Vicks were. :rollseyes:

I can't say that I have a strong opinion either way about hiring Tressel, there is one thing that seems inconsistent. How is Pete Carroll not being penalized for having been a part of all the cheating at USC? While I understand the sensitivity to appearances and PC approach by Goodell, in some ways it's another hypocritical move similar to the whole Rush Limbo ownership brewhaha from a couple of years ago.

Apparently if you get out of Dodge before the NCAA renders their verdict, you're scot free as far as the NFL is concerned. If you wait too long you have to "do some time".

I can't say that I have a strong opinion either way about hiring Tressel, there is one thing that seems inconsistent. How is Pete Carroll not being penalized for having been a part of all the cheating at USC? While I understand the sensitivity to appearances and PC approach by Goodell, in some ways it's another hypocritical move similar to the whole Rush Limbo ownership brewhaha from a couple of years ago.

Apparently if you get out of Dodge before the NCAA renders their verdict, you're scot free as far as the NFL is concerned. If you wait too long you have to "do some time".

As a Buckeye, and a USC hater, I hate to say this... but... Carroll was never implicated in the USC scandal. Yes, he did leave before the sanctions came down. And personally, I find it hard to believe that he didn't know what was going on with Bush, etc. But the fact is that he was never implicated. So, he shouldn't be held responsible by the NFL if the NCAA felt he wasn't responsible.

Boy, that was hard to write.

My gut tells me there is more to this than Tressel just brought in to watch replays and game clock.

The NFL has increased the number of plays that they(the refs) automatically check.

For example, ALL scores are automatically checked by the officials upstairs.

I think there is a bigger reason he was brought in. I just can't put my finger on it.........yet.

You may be correct, but I think it is just a case of helping a friend, who will never coach in College football again, get a foot in at the NFL. When the Colts drafted Gonzo, Pitcock and Hall Dungy talked about how he and Tressel were friends and they all came highly recommended.

As a Buckeye, and a USC hater, I hate to say this... but... Carroll was never implicated in the USC scandal. Yes, he did leave before the sanctions came down. And personally, I find it hard to believe that he didn't know what was going on with Bush, etc. But the fact is that he was never implicated. So, he shouldn't be held responsible by the NFL if the NCAA felt he wasn't responsible.

Boy, that was hard to write.

Pete Carroll never was implicated because he did nothing wrong. It was Reggie's stepdad who set the deal up with the agents. His stepdad got the free rent and he was going into business with the agents. Just like in Tressel's case and Miami, college football is becoming less about the players and coaches playing games, outcomes are being determined by people outside the university such as parents, agents and boosters. It's a sad state of affairs for college football fans.

Regarding Tressel, I wish the Colts would man up. Are they hiring Tressel and bringing him onto their staff or aren't they? Either hire him or don't. By hiring him and kowtowing to pressure to suspend him, they look like a bunch of whimps. What happened at Ohio State has NOTHING to do with his current employment, so if you are hiring him put him to work and don't suspend him for college related incidents primarily involving free tattooes for his players and the sale of memorabilia that his players personally owned. I hope Tressel gets a better job elsewhere soon, he's a good man and a great coach. He deserves better than the Colts, their crappy entry level position and their whimpy management.

...Regarding Tressel, I wish the Colts would man up. Are they hiring Tressel and bringing him onto their staff or aren't they? Either hire him or don't. By hiring him and kowtowing to pressure to suspend him, they look like a bunch of whimps...

Totally agree. The Colts should have gone by the book and cleared his hiring with the NFL and let them make the decision on if/how long he should be suspended.

I am tired of talking Manning for the moment so I thought I would talk the other major Colts news of the day...

So now he's been suspended longer than Pryor was can we get off the Colts hirng hm since he's going to do his time for his crime?

In a way he's paying twice because Pryor wasn't going to get kicked out of OSU for it and Tressel lost his job over it. You can't tell me he's not getting a huge pay cut from what OSU was paying him to what we'll be paying him.