Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can Someone Please Explain Why We Stunt Our D-Line?

John Waylon

I got the impression that Mathis stunted around on his own accord a couple of times. We had him playing the joker role on a few downs, and generally the joker has the freedom to bring pressure however he sees fit. May have been designed stunts, and ordinarily I'd expect that they were. But when he's playing joker, it could be either way.

I was watching Football Night in America before the game and Tony Dungy explained how they would be stunting either Freeney or Mathis.

With the pressure that one of the ends would bring (in the video they showed Mathis bringing pressure and Freeney stunting) Roethlisberger would then be forced to step up into the pocket and into one of his favorite passing lanes and when Ben steps up into the passing lane Freeney (which would be stunting) would meet him and get the sack.

It was something along those lines Dungy explained it way better than I did

True, but Dungy showed diagram of stunting the DE around to penetrate between the G/C, not stunt around the entire defensive line. Superman could be right, Mathis was playing a lot more of a Joker role than I've seen before so it could have been that he had intended to stunt and go between a G/C but there was too much clutter and he had to go all the way around to keep from getting lost in traffic.

Stunting is an OK tactic when you have the DTs do it, but when you have mathis and freeney stunt that is about as bad as it can get when pressuring the QB. You can't get pressure like that when you have mathis going from the RT to the LT and expect him to still get pressure or get a sack.

Stunting is an OK tactic when you have the DTs do it, but when you have mathis and freeney stunt that is about as bad as it can get when pressuring the QB. You can't get pressure like that when you have mathis going from the RT to the LT and expect him to still get pressure or get a sack.

The only thing I can think is they might have stunted so much to prevent Ben from being able to move around the pocket and then take off scrambling. This way they could try to reroute the blockers to create what appears to be an open running lane for Ben (or the RB) but they wouldn't see the guy stunting who would be waiting to make the tackle.

I still think it would have been more effective to do this with the DT's or the bigger DE's like Anderson and Brayton though because Freeney and Mathis both easily have the speed to track Ben down from behind.

Colts over used the stunt last night but I heard someone saying the Steelers were suspect against stunts.

Why are we questioning the D line again??

Steelers made about 2 more plays than the Colts did, they win. If Painter could've hit Garcon or if Foster finished that sack, who knows...

Colts over used the stunt last night but I heard someone saying the Steelers were suspect against stunts.

Why are we questioning the D line again??

Steelers made about 2 more plays than the Colts did, they win. If Painter could've hit Garcon or if Foster finished that sack, who knows...

Personally I'm not questioning the DL, I'm questioning the playcalling and game plan of the defensive coaches. I think our guys played outstanding (DL and LBs in particular but some good play from the secondary as well). However, I keep wondering how much better yet they could still be if the coaches would stop putting playmakers in a disadvantage, like Mathis with the stunt all the way around the play and the constant dropping of Angerer into deep zone coverage.