Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Very Disturbing Story about Players and Family Pressure.....

NewColtsFan

This is from NFL.com....

Tyronn Smith, the Cowboys #1 pick last year had to call police because family members showed up at his home in Dallas demanding money from him.

He had already filed a restraining order to have the family stay away while he was in training camp in Southern California where the Cowboys train for a month.

And before you think Smith is being cheap, the story says he gave his family a big chunk of his signing bonus when he got drafted last year. But apparently they've come back for more....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000088492/article/tyron-smith-of-dallas-cowboys-calls-police-on-family

ESPN's Marcellus Wiley, who has a radio show here in L.A., talks about this a lot. How players who come from nothing, the rest of the family treats that person like their ticket out of poverty. And suddenly the distant relatives do too, and all the long time friends. Suddenly, you're everyone's ATM and this is, in part, why so many athletes have money problems.

Very disturbing....

This has happened all through the history of sports from boxing to football....and it is disturbing.

ESPN's Marcellus Wiley does a great job of telling the challenges of our professional athletes. He should be commended. He has his own tough stories to tell, and he is a great role model for today's youth. :thmup:

Thanks for sharing the article NCF.

This is so very sad.

In the same vein, have you guys seen the episode "Broke" of ESPN 30 for 30? It's heartbreaking that majority of the NFL and NBA players go broke. Here is the description of it:

According to a 2009 Sports Illustrated article, 60 percent of NBA players are broke within five years of retirement. For 78 percent of NFL players, it takes only three years. Sucked into bad investments, stalked by freeloaders, saddled with medical problems, and naturally prone to showing off, many pro athletes get shocked by harsh economic realities after years of living the high life. Drawing surprisingly vulnerable confessions from retired stars like Keith McCants, Bernie Kosar and Andre Rison, as well as Marvin Miller, the former executive director of the MLB Players Association, this fascinating documentary digs into the psychology of men whose competitive nature can carry them to victory on the field and ruin off it.

This is from NFL.com....

Tyronn Smith, the Cowboys #1 pick last year had to call police because family members showed up at his home in Dallas demanding money from him.

He had already filed a restraining order to have the family stay away while he was in training camp in Southern California where the Cowboys train for a month.

And before you think Smith is being cheap, the story says he gave his family a big chunk of his signing bonus when he got drafted last year. But apparently they've come back for more....

http://www.nfl.com/n...olice-on-family

ESPN's Marcellus Wiley, who has a radio show here in L.A., talks about this a lot. How players who come from nothing, the rest of the family treats that person like their ticket out of poverty. And suddenly the distant relatives do too, and all the long time friends. Suddenly, you're everyone's ATM and this is, in part, why so many athletes have money problems.

Very disturbing....

Sponges... These men have got to stand up for themselves and live "their" lives.

I have seen it first hand... Marion has had a couple Big Name BB players make it all the way. One ALL the WAY. ... Zack R

And everyone is their best friend.. . wink wink... Truly SAD

They come at them from all directions... and when the money runs out.... POOF>>>> !!! Gone

This has happened all through the history of sports from boxing to football....and it is disturbing.

ESPN's Marcellus Wiley does a great job of telling the challenges of our professional athletes. He should be commended. He has his own tough stories to tell, and he is a great role model for today's youth. :thmup:

Thanks for sharing the article NCF.

Right,... but MW is an IVY league man. He is not a "sucker" ... Some of these other cats think they "owe" some one something because the grew up together. It's just not like that.

Born in Compton.....and he is a role model.

I agree.. not saying he was not.. just pointing out he is the "exception" .... And good for him. But MW was surrounded by people early at college who did now want anything from him. Big Difference.

One can move on This is the classic downfall of underprivileged kids. They cannot break away.

"favors" every one will want one. But they will never be repaid. It's a old song and dance.

I agree.. not saying he was not.. just pointing out he is the "exception" .... And good for him. But MW was surrounded by people early at college who did now want anything from him. Big Difference.

One can move on This is the classic downfall of underprivileged kids. They cannot break away.

"favors" every one will want one. But they will never be repaid. It's a old song and dance.

I don't understand the significance of saying he was surrounded by people in college who didn't want anything from him. With all due respect, who cares? Marcellus didn't have any money in college.

But, once he made it to the NFL and started making serious money -- THEN he started hearing from people back home in Compton. Family, and friends, and those who wanted to be friends. THATS' the point. When you don't have money, who is around you? Family, friends, those who love you for you. But, when you've got serious bank, 'jackpot' type money, suddenly lots of those people have their hands out. Some for good causes. Some not so good. Then, there are those who want to be your friend with their hands out. And don't forget the posse. Those hands are always out.

I've said to plenty of people.... money makes people do lots of strange things. Lots. And people who you think you know well, will surprise you, all because of money.

I don't understand the significance of saying he was surrounded by people in college who didn't want anything from him. With all due respect, who cares? Marcellus didn't have any money in college.

But, once he made it to the NFL and started making serious money -- THEN he started hearing from people back home in Compton. Family, and friends, and those who wanted to be friends. THATS' the point. When you don't have money, who is around you? Family, friends, those who love you for you. But, when you've got serious bank, 'jackpot' type money, suddenly lots of those people have their hands out. Some for good causes. Some not so good. Then, there are those who want to be your friend with their hands out. And don't forget the posse. Those hands are always out.

I've said to plenty of people.... money makes people do lots of strange things. Lots. And people who you think you know well, will surprise you, all because of money.

First statement.... WOW...

Second................... Isn't that what I just said?

sigh.....

First statement.... WOW...

Second................... Isn't that what I just said?

sigh.....

Now I don't understand. The part you DIDN'T put into bold, the part where I noted that Marcellus didn't have money in college explains things. If he didn't have money, then the people who were around him were more likely to have his best interest at heart... though he'd also tell you that some were simply waiting for him to make money in the NFL.

But things changed for him once he got to the NFL and started making Big Money. THEN, family and friends put their hands out. Hence, my point about money making people do strange things....

Not sure why were not understanding each other.....

I know you were making a point. I was just wanting it short and sweet. No problem. here. I want to make it clear that Ivy League does not equal "life is good" either....

In football sense, we have a coach of the Dallas Cowboys who cannot manage a clock or his personnel.......(granted this is football...not life's tragic/disturbing events :( )

I just want it known I am proud of Mr. Wiley. :) Not to say he and I both might not make a mistake tomorrow JD! :)

That is why I roll my eyes at people who talk about oh if I was an professional athlete I would never go broke like they do.

Yes, a lot of them live well beyond their means and do not have the foresight to think about how they can have their money make them money for retirement. A lot of them though struggle with things just like this. They have family and friends who are right there with their hands out wanting their cut. Many of them grow up in rough situations and feel this connection to their community because in a lot of cases their first out of their group friends or family to get out of there. So they feel this obligation to take care of their family, community, and friends.

It is easy to scoff at the idea of taking care of family and friends, but how many of us are actually put in the position that we can take care of them? How do you look at the family you grew up with or friends that you ran around with your entire life and just say to bad? Like I said it is easy to say I would say no, but when you have your best friend or your little cousin asking for money to help them with their rent because they got laid off at work it is a lot harder.

The sad thing is a lot of these family members and friends are just to selfish to see what they put the player through. All they see is the golden goose and a lot of them will just suck as much money as they can get out of a player.

It's an unfortunate problem that many successful athletes and businesspeople have to deal with. It's brutal when you get the feeling the friends and family you grew up with look at you like a walking ATM. For every athlete that goes broke because they were buying Hummers and Maseratis like the money tree was always in bloom, there's another one who lost everything because he thought he was doing the right thing in giving back to the people who helped him before he hit it big. Lord knows many of those people have no problem reminding him what they're owed once his check's start clearing.