Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts On Any Imporvements Made Or Needed

jessi05

The Colts brought in a bunch of new players this year. What do you think they improved and what do you think they still need to change/improve? Do you honestly think our running game, O-line, and overall defense has improved and will be much better this year? What players are you excited about and what players do you wish they would cut? Personally I wish they would cut Brown and keep Evans and Carter. I also wish they would cut Lacey and start Tryon.

It will be interesting to see who makes the team at RB and WR. I think the biggest improvement the D can make is to improve tackling. I'll have to re-watch the game, and hope that the guys missing the tackles won't be playing or maybe won't even be on the team.

Evans and James really do deserve to be ahead of DB but one or both of them may be getting ... uh... bolted???

It will be interesting to see who makes the team at RB and WR. I think the biggest improvement the D can make is to improve tackling. I'll have to re-watch the game, and hope that the guys missing the tackles won't be playing or maybe won't even be on the team.

Evans and James really do deserve to be ahead of DB but one or both of them may be getting ... uh... bolted???

Evans deserves to make the team after the way he played tonight and they would be down right stupid to cut him. Brown played pitiful. I can't understand why they would want to keep him. If they really want to improve our running game at all this year they need to cut him.

The Colts brought in a bunch of new players this year. What do you think they improved and what do you think they still need to change/improve? Do you honestly think our running game, O-line, and overall defense has improved and will be much better this year? What players are you excited about and what players do you wish they would cut? Personally I wish they would cut Brown and keep Evans and Carter. I also wish they would cut Lacey and start Tryon.

I think most people agree, even though it's preseason. Any argument against Lacey ahead of Tryon or not keepin Evans on the PS squad would be seriously difficult to make. Cutting Brown might be alitle to extreme in THEIR opinion, we won't cut Brown this year, it's his make or break year. IMO they will put Evans on the PS and if Brown doesn't perform, or if Carter monumentally fails as a 3rd down/ short yet back, Evans will have all the potential in the world next season. I do think Carter surpases JJ as a 3rd down/ short yardage back. I'm the end DO NOT LET Evans go, reminds me alot of Arian Foster.

Since I live in CA, this was the only pre-season game that I was able to see. I have to say that I was a little disappointed. I know that this was just a pre-season game. I've been a fan for long enough to know that pre-season doesn't give you any real indication of the real strength of the team. However, I've been reading lately on this forum about the defense and all of the improvements that were made and I guess I was expecting to see more from them. There were some great individual performances tonight. Mostly on Offense though (from what I could see). I'm hoping that I see a different defense come week one. The one I saw tonight looked (from what I could see)as mediocre as always. I don't know I guess I got my hopes up too high.

I kind of agree to a certain extent, I do think our DL has improved but the backfield has weakened with the loss of Hayden and injured Powers/Bullitt coming back. I do like the play of some of the young guys but we are getting killed primarily from the right, LB core will be mediocre at best and doesnt seem like a very strong core as usual, they will be efficient enough. I picture a 15th ranked D overall and that's being very lenient. I think takles and ends will be solid with an inconsistent LB core playing top 10 one day, bottom of the pack the week after. Safteys I see solid overall, (Bethea primarily) while the right (Bullitt & Lacey) getting demolished.

I do think Caldwell seems solid though if MB gets injured He will definitely be better than Fransisco.

PS: by right backfield I state would be coming from the offenses perspective..

Since I live in CA, this was the only pre-season game that I was able to see. I have to say that I was a little disappointed. I know that this was just a pre-season game. I've been a fan for long enough to know that pre-season doesn't give you any real indication of the real strength of the team. However, I've been reading lately on this forum about the defense and all of the improvements that were made and I guess I was expecting to see more from them. There were some great individual performances tonight. Mostly on Offense though (from what I could see). I'm hoping that I see a different defense come week one. The one I saw tonight looked (from what I could see)as mediocre as always. I don't know I guess I got my hopes up too high.

I said last week after the GB game that many of the fans seem to be exaggerating the improvement of the defense.

I think our O-line got better up front run blocking especially on the left side with Reitz and Costanzo. One thing that worries me is the defensive play calling. I hope we play a little more man to man vs zones and also play our DB'S closer to the line instead of 5-10 yds off. Other than that i think we have improved on all areas of the game.

I think the O-line needs more time together to gel. As far as the defense goes we need to be more aggressive and tackle much better. One thing about the Colts defense is the ball carrier whether it be a running back, tight end or wide receiver always gains extra yardage after the initial hit. Our tackling needs to vastly improve in my opinion. We have got to get a running game going this year. O-line that means you! Hopefully more practice time will pay off and make a difference come week 1.

I feel that the only area that needs improvement is the secondary. I was pretty bummed about losing hayden and not so much sanders. IMO i would rather have a solid player at ss who plays most of the time (bullitt) then a great player who plays less then half the time. With that said I would say we have a good safety duo in bethea and bullitt. As far as corners go, i have always been impressed with powers, imo he established himself as our best corner his rookie season, but lacey needs some improvement. I thought he was good the last two seasons though. I also think its a matter of coaching. Our cbs give WAY too much cushion, its time to play some man coverage and jam the wrs at the line. Powers is a very physical, tough corner and I've seen him lay some nasty hits. I can't say the same about lacey he's more of a zone guy. Other then that, I think our defense will suprise a lot of people this year. We still have the best de tandem in the league and I like our dt's with harris and nevis, which will give us some depth at the position. Brackett will continue to make plays, angerer has improved, and I've heard some good things about conner as well as a solid vet in sims. Offense wise, manning will start week one, and we have some talent on the oline. Castonzo seems to be doing well as well as ijalana. I've seen the run blocking improve and that will only open up opportunities for the old staple: the stretch. And of course the play action pass. With the ability to run the ball, teams will have to keep guessing rather then know the game rests solely on 18's shoulders. Receivers and tight ends, I couldn't really ask for better. Wayne of course is a beast and garcon has been known to make big plays, and collie is a pro bowler this year. Clark will have a pro bowl year, and tamme was a big difference maker last season. Great tight end duo. As for running backs, I still like addai, we have seen what he can do once he finds a hole and he is very elusive. Cut brown. I like what I've seen from carter, I'm definitely on this kids bandwagon, he's a tough hard nosed north south runner which is what we've needed for a while. As well as evans, I was impressed with him in the cincinnatti game. So those are my thoughts, there is no reason the super bowl won't be a home game for the colts. Btw this is my first post. Thanks to those who took time to read all this. Go colts!

I wanted to start a post about Lance Briggs wanting out of Chicago and thinking how great it would be if by some miracle he could be brought to Indy! The D-Line at least has a solid rotation for passing downs and run downs, by the Lb's were the weak spot where a physical presence like Briggs would help. Too many missed tackles, and Lb's getting blocked out of the play, typically by tight ends and running backs. If we could trade maybe Hughes (And get an actually worth player) and a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Briggs and fit him in the cap, that would make our front seven SOLID! The LB depth chart would read Briggs (Conner), Brackett (Angerer), and Simms (Wheeler, Moten). That would make us have a very quality front seven, with quality replacements under great veteran leaders! The secondary is a mess, in the old forum I was calling for a starting SS (Whitner) to come to Indy, cause I think Bullit is a quality backup/special teamer. Since we play in that Cover 2 Shell, we don't need big name corners persay, and I like Powers, so another quality safety would have been the FA aquisition the Colts should have targeted. But if we got Briggs and worked some cap magic, I think the front seven would be very strong!

I am a little dissapointed in the O-Line, and have my fingers crossed they will come together. And I think Collins was a vastly overpaid insurance policy as I expect Manning to start week one, his contract could have gone towards a veteran safety, and a player like LANCE BRIGGS! But there is some cap room left, hopefully the FO makes some needed acquisitions (SS, T/G) and Briggs is on my Christmas list!

I just do not get some people. All day I have heard people talking about how they wanted to see more last night. News flash...they are not going to show a lot to a team that they play again, on the road, in week six.

That being said, Darren Evans made Donald Brown look like he is clueless. If you just look at the point of attack Evans welcomes the hit and pushes through, Brown tip toes and quits. Not that Polian will pull the trigger, but I think Brown has signed his pink slip and that sucks because I really like him.

I also feel like the Defense will become more active now that we are leaving the preseason. I find it hard to believe that Larry Coyer isn't going to use some of the tackling strength we have at safety and LB. I think we will see a bigger push from our DT's and LB's....we were just never going to show it in the preseason.

I think we also saw that the Colts have given up on Painter. Collins is the back up for this season and 2012. At that point we will need to be looking for Peyton's successor. Painter and Orlovsky have shown little more than rookies or undrafted rookies that we could carry on a practice squad instead of wasting a roster spot.

All in all...the sky is NOT falling chicken little. 12-4 this year. Typical year from Peyton, mid pack defensively.

I wanted to start a post about Lance Briggs wanting out of Chicago and thinking how great it would be if by some miracle he could be brought to Indy! The D-Line at least has a solid rotation for passing downs and run downs, by the Lb's were the weak spot where a physical presence like Briggs would help. Too many missed tackles, and Lb's getting blocked out of the play, typically by tight ends and running backs. If we could trade maybe Hughes (And get an actually worth player) and a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Briggs and fit him in the cap, that would make our front seven SOLID! The LB depth chart would read Briggs (Conner), Brackett (Angerer), and Simms (Wheeler, Moten). That would make us have a very quality front seven, with quality replacements under great veteran leaders! The secondary is a mess, in the old forum I was calling for a starting SS (Whitner) to come to Indy, cause I think Bullit is a quality backup/special teamer. Since we play in that Cover 2 Shell, we don't need big name corners persay, and I like Powers, so another quality safety would have been the FA aquisition the Colts should have targeted. But if we got Briggs and worked some cap magic, I think the front seven would be very strong!

I am a little dissapointed in the O-Line, and have my fingers crossed they will come together. And I think Collins was a vastly overpaid insurance policy as I expect Manning to start week one, his contract could have gone towards a veteran safety, and a player like LANCE BRIGGS! But there is some cap room left, hopefully the FO makes some needed acquisitions (SS, T/G) and Briggs is on my Christmas list!

You have made 2 posts now and both of them are about a guy thats not on the team and has no shot of being on the team. The Colts LBers are set and they are probably the best core we've had for a long time. Sorry, not trying to be rude but the Colts can't afford him and quite frankly im glad. He's a crybaby that whines about his contract every few yrs. and the Colts don't need that kind of guy.

Little late to help you, but all preseason games are shown on the NFL network at some point. Of course some of them are 3 in the morning. A DVR is a big help.

Cut lacey and brown? thats insane not only do they add depth but they know what they are suppose to do and they do it, with that being said i can honestly say the colts dont need to add anyone on defense they just need to pick the right starters for example nevis needs to start over moala. On offense the colts offense might need to get some more athletic receivers that are healthy of course.

The issue I would love to see improved is a better push from the DT. If the Colts can get a good push from the DT on all downs it will take the pressure off of the CB. That will require the DT to stay fresh meaning a good rotation. We can look back to when Tampa Bay was really stomping teams there front line was a BREAST, and there linebackers were free to roam, and or corners can press more. I believe that will cause more interceptions.

If the Colts front four can get that push I believe they will surprise alot of teams this year because they have already been counted out by the so called expects.

Go Colts.

Can't run, can't stop the run. Thar's the evaluation Colts nation unified around.

Nevis & Harris have made the UT position much, much stronger. Moala & Johnson both will be strong at Over Tackle. Brayton & Anderson make the front four much more stout on 1st and 10. Mathis & Freeney with that 2 UT (twin 3-gap) front will be a hand full for O-lines to deal with. I fully expect the Colts to blitz the A gap disallowing the UT double. They will be a difficult group to deal with. They'll need to choose they're 3rd undertackle. Will it be Foster or will they rotate Anderson inside and hold onto Hughes? Don't know, but do know they are much better with those 8 on the D-Line

The O-Line is still a work in progress. Moving Diem inside this late in the preseason tells me they want to run the football. That move also indicates DeVan and Pollak are now officially back-ups. The 323 lb Tepper may just have a legit shot of unseating one of those two. Finally, I don't think Link is the answer at RT. A bus load of OT's will be on the market in a day or two. Is he better then all of them? We'll see. There are tough decisions at hand and I believe more work to be done on the O-Line.

LB's; Bracket, Angerer, Wheeler, Conner & Moten. That's my order of merit too, with Moten's stock rising. Who's #6 Sims?

RB's; Does Don Brown deserve a shot behind an improved offensive line? Didn't Evans earn a shot?

DB's; The consensus is Powers, Lacey, Tryon, Thomas, Rucker - Bethea, Bullitt, Lefeged & Caldwell. 4 are UDFA's and 4 are 1st year players. This group will need to develop quick.

WR's; I'd take Blair and/or Taj before the other contenders. Question marks continue to loom over the position.

The issue I would love to see improved is a better push from the DT. If the Colts can get a good push from the DT on all downs it will take the pressure off of the CB. That will require the DT to stay fresh meaning a good rotation. We can look back to when Tampa Bay was really stomping teams there front line was a BREAST, and there linebackers were free to roam, and or corners can press more. I believe that will cause more interceptions.

If the Colts front four can get that push I believe they will surprise alot of teams this year because they have already been counted out by the so called expects.

Go Colts.

you obviously have not been watching the preseason

The defense definitely looked like they took a step back against Cincinnati...however, aside from what was already pointed out about them not going to show too much in a preseason game especially against a team we play later this year....but did anyone actually pay attention to who was playing? I only recall seeing Nevis in on like 1 play (I'm sure it was more than that but I didn't see him very much). I don't recall seeing Tommy Harris at all. I don't even think Johnson and Moala played very much. At DT I remember seeing Ogbu, Gill and Matthews more than anyone else. At DE, Hughes did play a good majority of the game, and I saw Anderson and Brayton early but later on Chick was playing a lot. At LB Sims did play quite a bit but Brackett wasn't out there and I don't recall seeing much of Angerer after the first quarter. Wheeler, Moten and Tripplet were playing quite a bit. I hope we keep both Moten and Tripplet even if it's just on the practice squad.

Basically the point I'm trying to make is that for the majority of the game, the defense consisted of the guys towards the bottom of the depth chart who needed to be out there so the coaches could determine who they are going to keep and who they are going to let go. IMO, the defense will look more like they did vs. Green Bay than they did against Cincy and they should only get better as guys get more comfortable in our system and playing together.

Although in theroy that sounds great. But I don't want any part of Briggs. The guy wants to renegotiate his contract and still has 3 years left on it. No Thank you.

Blazer- I do not take offense, I am glad you took the time to read and respond with constructive criticism; however many NFL players complain about their contract especially when they are out performing their existing contract. I have noticed the weakness with the Colts D this pre season is the lack of tackling and support from the LB's in stopping the run. They have gap discipline issues, over run the play, poor tackling, washed out of the play by not only linemen but tight ends and running backs (this includes Brackett, Angerer, Conner). This is a major problem, this is why Bob Sanders was always hurt, running backs hitting the second level untouched, not to mention he recklessly through his body around. But the D front (with the run stopping and pass rushing rotation) is better than I have ever seen it. (which doesn't say much) Briggs would bring system familiarity, toughness, and leadership, afterall he is regarded as the best OLB in a 4-3 scheme in the NFL! A large # of people want to see Hughes and Brown cut, well maybe one of them or both of them with the addition of a draft pick could bring Briggs our way. Collins contract is two years 14 Mil, and reported it only takes a 2.5 Mil dollar cap hit, leaving roughly 5 Mil left if the cap articles are accurate, how do you figure for a guy scheduled to make only 3.5 Mil from the Bears this year couldn't be added to the team, when Polian worked cap magic with collins (OVERPAID) deal? The logic behind my rant and wishful thinking is clearly there!

On a side note, there needs to be a veteran SS brought on to this team because Bullit is not the answer, and if the Colts don't bring a veteran starter, I could really see Lefeged starting by mid season!

In the Bengals game, I was watching our new DE Jamaal Anderson, and I was not impressed.

Anderson made one nice tackle at the very beginning, but he was mostly manhandled the rest of the game.

From what I saw, Anderson didn't seem to be really trying to get off the blocks.

His effort showed me why he has been called a "first round bust"

If Anderson makes the team, I fear he will be this years Keyunta Dawson.

For the record, I have not been overly impressed with Tyler Brayton either.

From what Ive seen, of the two, I would pick Brayton over Anderson.

However, I feel that both John Chick and John Gill have outperformed the competition on the D-line.

Both Chick and Gill seem to give 100% effort all the time. And they deserve the jobs.