Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taj Smith

GoColts8818

Do we keep him or cut him?

I think he out did anyone else competing for a WR job tonight. He had 140 yards of offense the rest of the ream had 128 yards combined. He also gives us a lift at special teams and as we can see we need all the help on special teams we can get.

Looks like a keeper to me but hey what do I know. lol I'm still confused as to why they played Orlovsky if he will be getting cut. I would have liked to see Collins get more snaps. Didn't make much sense to me.

He also drops ones he should catch just like Garcon.

yes he does, but Gilreath and Brooks weren't even giving us that tonight. I think Gilreath makes it as the punt returner but I am not sure we can use him as a WR. Honestly Smith's biggest compatation might be from two guys who didn't even play tonight, Gonzo and White.

Looks like a keeper to me but hey what do I know. lol I'm still confused as to why they played Orlovsky if he will be getting cut. I would have liked to see Collins get more snaps. Didn't make much sense to me.

I think they were trying to do right by Orvlosky and give him a chance to show other teams he can be their back up. They didn't want to play Collins behind the back up line and they had seen enough from Painter to know what they had in him.

It's between him and Gilreath.

Gilreath: Offers more. Returner and fast as heck

Smith: Good ST player, and ok receiver

You be the judge. I think we don't need him, and I hope we cut him. Gilreath can be used more than Smith. He can be used in screen plays, and Smith is not that fast. We can live without a ST player, Tamme doesn't play ST anymore, and he was our best ST player in 2008 and 2009; not too big of a difference. Keep David Gilreath, get rid of Taj Smith. To answer the question, do the Colts keep him, I say NO.

yes he does, but Gilreath and Brooks weren't even giving us that tonight. I think Gilreath makes it as the punt returner but I am not sure we can use him as a WR. Honestly Smith's biggest compatation might be from two guys who didn't even play tonight, Gonzo and White.

Thats very true, I just dont know if Gonzo is going to come back. I mean he is like the bob sanders of WR's and his injuries are getting a bit old. I think Taj did good tonight, but he did have a 1 dropped pass(from what I saw) and that one pass could have added alot to his stats/ratings in my book.

I think Gilreath will be our preferred PR and Im not sure about Brooks...Maybe PS, I dont really know on him!

Smith has repeatedly stood out for special teams play since joining the Colts, but he is about the least comfortable looking receiver I can think of. He may make the squad, but I hope it isn't at the expense of much needed receiver depth (IE: Brooks for example).

Speaking of White, when is he assumed to return???

From what i remember i think he always does good in preseason games against 2nd and 3rd stringers but disappears when given a chance in meaningful games. No doubt he is a pretty good special teamer but i don't think he will make the squad. I think Gonzo deserves one final chance to prove his worth and durability.

Speaking of White, when is he assumed to return???

He's still on the PUP so if we don't put him on the active roster he's out the firt six weeks for sure. I think there is a good chance we might just stash him on IR with Wayne, Garcon, and Gonzo's contracts all being up at years end.

Do we keep him or cut him?

I think he out did anyone else competing for a WR job tonight. He had 140 yards of offense the rest of the ream had 128 yards combined. He also gives us a lift at special teams and as we can see we need all the help on special teams we can get.

Keep him. Gonzo is going to get cut and even if not, he's not going to play due to injury. Our depth at the WR position is pretty slim. Better question is if we cut him, who do we keep in his place?

I think they were trying to do right by Orvlosky and give him a chance to show other teams he can be their back up. They didn't want to play Collins behind the back up line and they had seen enough from Painter to know what they had in him.

Orlovsky is better than Painter. If they want to do right by him, they would cut Painter and make him the #3 QB if they carry 3.

based on what? Orlovksy played well vs. the Bengals third stringers. Painter did it vs. the Packers starters.

He played okay against the Packers. Orlovsky is more accurate and acts more like a leader. Orlovsky has also been stuck behind the worse olineman and has had Taj drop long balls in two different games now.

Wamted collins in longer too, Castonzo let him get to much pressure on him & he isnt peyton getting rid of ball that fast

I think they will make their roster cuts today. They want the weekend to survey the final roster and they are generous enough to give the guys who get the axe a chance to get to another team before the season starts.

As for Taj Smith....I think he makes the squad. It looked to me like the huge gainer last night was under-thrown and he adjusted to make that catch. He also looked like he played hurt following that play, so I am willing to give him a pass on dropping a couple of balls. I think he has tremendous upside and if he can make Dan the Man look good imagine what Peyton can do to him.

He played okay against the Packers. Orlovsky is more accurate and acts more like a leader. Orlovsky has also been stuck behind the worse olineman and has had Taj drop long balls in two different games now.

Painter did good vs. the Packers starters. Painter is giong to be the third QB. Till Orvlovsky went a head of Painter of the depth chart (which he never did) Painter wasn't going to lose their job. No chance the Colts go into the season with two QBs who are new to the system. They'll keep Painter around for that if nothing else.

This team lacks so much in the special teams department. I think it would be foolish to let go probably our best player on that side of the ball go just to hold a roster spot for either White who is on the pup list or Gonzo who will just be hurt by week 2.

It is a hard decision because of how limited the roster space is, but I much rather go with the guy who has been able to contribute to the team over the past few years then a guy who has spent all of his time with the medical staff.

I could live with Wayne, Garcon, Collie, Smith, and Gonzo while White is on the PUP list. When White is ready to come off you either place him on IR or if Gonzo has shown nothing you just cut Gonzo and put White on the active roster. I think Brooks makes the active roster or the PS.

Taj smith isnt close to catching passes like garcon... taj has the hands of a brick layer plus he catches the ball with his chest alot, he's really inconsistent.

I've been pushing the same point. He looks muscle bound or something, and and catches balls like a linebacker. Sometimes they stick, but you cringe every time. I can't imagine that he would be given serious consideration as a wide receiver. Considering his special teams play - which is akin to playing defense - I'm surprised they haven't tried to turn him into a DB.

You keep him

...A. Gonzalez cant play right now and Austin Collie is one hit from being out for good..

Of course you keep him..

Why is everyone all of a sudden saying Collie is injury prone? He had half a year ONCE that he suffered some pretty nasty concussions. He isn't even close to being Sanders breakable or even Gonzo breakable. I don't get it?

Gilreath is soooo much more valuable to the Colts right now than Brooks. Brooks can't return punts and Gilreath is a beast in return situations. Advantage=Gilreath

He does look good back there, but I'm not sure that I care at this point with the new kickoff rules. The important thing is having a returner who never fumbles. The extra few yards per return on average that a better returner might provide seems to be far less important than the other things that roster spot might offer in a year when we'll have three QBs and three WRs who are starting the year as question marks.

Besides, when the Colts offense is in gear I'm actually happy to get the ball at the 20. Peyton will make up the difference in a play or two, and it's a heck of a lot more enjoyable to watch.