Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Evans

Malakai432

Wasnt maybin cut after his second year? But brown has improved tremendously in his blocking skills and knowing who to block, he gave collins extra time to get rid of the ball... Brown is not gonna be cut under no circumstances, addai can go down with an injury anytime and isnt durable.

You question Addais durability when Brown has played in 11 games his rookie year and 13 his 2nd... He has alittle bit of a durability issue himself..

Did y'all miss the game where Donald Brown gained 125 yards and put us in the playoffs last December..

Exhibition games mean nothing.

I'd keep Evans but Brown proved himself late last year when we needed him.

James is probably out but he could be called back if there's an injury

You can only ride one game for so long. Brown has done next to nothing outside of that Jags games. Again it's one thing to struggle when everyone else around you is struggling which has been the case most of Brown's career. It's another to struggle when all the other backs in your system are making nice plays in the pre-season. I think Brown makes the roster just because I think the Colts are going to give him his last chance but I am not holding my breath on him.

You can only ride one game for so long. Brown has done next to nothing outside of that Jags games. Again it's one thing to struggle when everyone else around you is struggling which has been the case most of Brown's career. It's another to struggle when all the other backs in your system are making nice plays in the pre-season. I think Brown makes the roster just because I think the Colts are going to give him his last chance but I am not holding my breath on him.

Ride one game?

That was the 14th game of last season.

There's a disconnect here. Manning got bounced around last year because our line isnt good, right?

But Donald Brown's failure to gain 1,000 yards were all his own fault?

I saw (and you probably did, too) what I wanted to see in a do-or-die game against Jacksonville.

He can run. He can catch and he knows the protections.

...to talk about cutting him for an undrafted rookie in a year when we hope to make a big playoff run seems crazy to me.

Very true on another note he didn't play vs the Jets last year, (I assume he was injured) also. Looking back in the game logs during his rookie year his post season statistics were so minuscule, I'll give him that since it was his rookie year and Addai Played fair vs the Jets & Saints averaging 5.0 vs NY & a whooping 5.9 vs the Saints even though they lost..

I'm pulling for the guy, I hope he does well but just have 0 confidence. It's funny also people think Brown is an exceptional blocking back now because of decent pre season blocking. I'll give him props when he blocks Mario Williams during a heavy blitz, game one lol!!!!

Ride one game?

That was the 14th game of last season.

There's a disconnect here. Manning got bounced around last year because our line isnt good, right?

But Donald Brown's failure to gain 1,000 yards were all his own fault?

I saw (and you probably did, too) what I wanted to see in a do-or-die game against Jacksonville.

He can run. He can catch and he knows the protections.

...to talk about cutting him for an undrafted rookie in a year when we hope to make a big playoff run seems crazy to me.

Exactly it was ONE game. What did he do after that one game? He played his way to getting benched in the Jets playoff game in favor of Addai and Rhodes. Where was he in that do or die game? The coaches didn't even trust him to put him on the field. Had the Colts trusted him they wouldn't have brought back Rhodes last year, resigned Addai, drafted Carter and given a very serious look at Evans this pre-season.

Did you not see the part where I put it's one thing to struggle when the rest of the team is struggling because of the line? I am fully aware it hasn't just been Brown who couldn't run behind the line his first two years here. However, this pre-season, which is all that matters when talking about bubble players, Addai, Evans, Carter, James, and Spann have all had nice runs behind that same line. The only one who hasn't? Brown. At some point Brown has to step it up for more than one game vs. the Jags.

Very true on another note he didn't play vs the Jets last year, (I assume he was injured) also. Looking back in the game logs during his rookie year his post season statistics were so minuscule, I'll give him that since it was his rookie year and Addai Played fair vs the Jets & Saints averaging 5.0 vs NY & a whooping 5.9 vs the Saints even though they lost..

I'm pulling for the guy, I hope he does well but just have 0 confidence. It's funny also people think Brown is an exceptional blocking back now because of decent pre season blocking. I'll give him props when he blocks Mario Williams during a heavy blitz, game one lol!!!!

Yet they also turn around and say pre-season doesn't matter when you point out his struggles in the pre-season vs. the other backs performances this pre-season...

I'd also say his blocking has improved but he's still not good at it. Last night he whiffted on a guy and was trying to block him by lowering his head and trying to run it into the guy. He had a couple of nice blocks in the Packers game but I don't feel safe with him back there protecting the franchise like I do with Addai.

Please tell me you are chick. The thought of a guy on a football message board quoting Shania Twain lyrics is sort of unsettling ;)

Heh! That's a great song, and she is something to look at too. Nothing wrong with liking Shania.

Now if someone were to start quoting Justin Beeberhead or whatever his name is they should be banned immediately! :D

Brown can't pass block to save his life. Not sure who said anything good about his pass blocking skills but obviously they haven't ever watched him. It really wouldn't surprise me if they cut Brown. I don't expect it, but still wouldn't surprise me.

Have you watched any games in the preseason? He has blocked better than oline has. Its hard to run when you are tackled once you get the ball. Barry Sanders couldn't run behind this line.

I would hate to see James be taken off of the roster. When the off-season started, I thought our biggest weaknesses on the team were the O-line, D-line, and special teams. I would hate to see James be cut when he is a big contributor on special teams. I really wish Brown would be cut, because I feel any of the younger guys can do what Brown does in the running game, and James can help shore up or terrible special teams.

Yet they also turn around and say pre-season doesn't matter when you point out his struggles in the pre-season vs. the other backs performances this pre-season...

I'd also say his blocking has improved but he's still not good at it. Last night he whiffted on a guy and was trying to block him by lowering his head and trying to run it into the guy. He had a couple of nice blocks in the Packers game but I don't feel safe with him back there protecting the franchise like I do with Addai.

The other backs have been doing it against 3rd and 4th string players. Remember each team is allowed to carry more people this time of year compared to past years. YOu are going to have some duds out there on defense and so on.

Im not saying Brown is the new Edge, but give him a hole and he will produce well.

Also Evans scored a TD last night, on his 4th try. We also brought in Costanzo to help get him in the endzone. If the endzone wasn't there he would've fumbled the ball. Ball security is a must in this league. My money is on Evans to either be picked up by another team or practice squad.

Brown just doesn't have that passion or smash mouth running that I'm so used to seeing on other teams. I know not every Offensive is the same but he's had a few seasons to prove his worth. I wanna see what he does a couple games into this season, and if nothing happens he needs to go. That Carter guy is something special. The kid runs like he's ticked and his hair is on fire. Evans looked pretty good too.

Have you watched any games in the preseason? He has blocked better than oline has. Its hard to run when you are tackled once you get the ball. Barry Sanders couldn't run behind this line.

Are u joking sanders carried a team to the playoffs behind a line that would be lucky to block the indiana highschool of the blinds front 4, back on topic...

Brown has shown flashes that he can get it done, but he hasnt consistently performed, I think the guy has great potential in a different style of offense. I can for see brown traded for a second or third rounder evans being called up from ps early in the season.

Every play of every game. What I also saw, was every single RB on the roster out perform him this preseason. I really don't put a whole lot of stock into what I see in the preseason, but we've had 2 yrs. of watching Brown and he has been flat out terrible except for 2 games I think. The thing you have to ask yourself is: Is the few blocks he's actually picked up this preseason worth him retaining a roster spot over guys that have played better? I don't think so, but the team might so we'll just have to wait and see.

Every play of every game. What I also saw, was every single RB on the roster out perform him this preseason. I really don't put a whole lot of stock into what I see in the preseason, but we've had 2 yrs. of watching Brown and he has been flat out terrible except for 2 games I think. The thing you have to ask yourself is: Is the few blocks he's actually picked up this preseason worth him retaining a roster spot over guys that have played better? I don't think so, but the team might so we'll just have to wait and see.

There is something to be said for having a variety of skill sets amongst your running backs. I've been very impressed with Carter and Evans and would be very disappointed if they don't both make the team. Their size, effort, attitude, etc (ie: style of running) has been sorely lacking from this team. However, they are replacing Hart, James, Rhodes, etc. Not Brown.

A quick count shows a minimum of 25 plays from scrimmage covering 10 yards+. There was a 72 yard TD pass, a 45 yard run. Several more in the 20's. Many people want a roster spot kept open for Gilbreath because - if everything goes perfectly - he might potentially pick up an extra few yards (compared to the alternatives) on one of the handful of times per game he touches the ball. Brown will get you a lot more, a lot more frequently. He isn't here to run up the middle on 3rd and 2. He stinks at that. However he could turn a delayed handoff, a screen pass, a stretch play or a toss around end into a 20-40 yard gain any time he touches the ball. What's wrong with having your cake and eating it too?

I think we all need to be a little bit more patient on Hughes... Yes, we all want to see more promise from him. But isn't it expect for DE's to take a little bit of time to improve? He is playing behind two pro-bowlers. Then there is Foster who gets playing time at end, along with the new DE's. Maybe he will become better, we really cannot know. As for Brown. I think he can be good. But he just isn't doing that. Every RB on the roster has done pretty darn good compared to DB... Its not the line anymore. Its the RB.

Brown just doesn't have that passion or smash mouth running that I'm so used to seeing on other teams. I know not every Offensive is the same but he's had a few seasons to prove his worth. I wanna see what he does a couple games into this season, and if nothing happens he needs to go. That Carter guy is something special. The kid runs like he's ticked and his hair is on fire. Evans looked pretty good too.

Other teams have a run game, evans avg 1.9 yds in the bengals game it wasnt his fault it was the Olines fault... brown has plenty of passion for the game but it dont matter how big of a back or fast you are you will not succeed behind a performance the line put up last night.

Keep in mind too that Evans just seems to get stronger and stronger as the game goes on. In the 2008 Maryland game Darren carried 32 times for 253 yards, and with 4 mintues to go, lowered him head and put a vicious hit on a Maryland defender. I guarantee you from the time Darren hit him, until he hit the ground, couldn't have taken 25 hundreths of a second. I did see a comment in this thread or another that Darren was undrafted due to injury or durability concerns. That isn't correct. I have no idea why he is was undrafted. He was assured by one NFL coach that he would be taken in the 3rd or 4th round. Darren missed 2009 with the ACL injury, but came back with a very strong year last year, despite splitting carries with Ryan Williams and David Wilson. To the best of my knowledge in the 2008 and 2010 football seasons, Darren never missed a single play due to injury.

Sure hope he makes the cut

Keep in mind too that Evans just seems to get stronger and stronger as the game goes on. In the 2008 Maryland game Darren carried 32 times for 253 yards, and with 4 mintues to go, lowered him head and put a vicious hit on a Maryland defender. I guarantee you from the time Darren hit him, until he hit the ground, couldn't have taken 25 hundreths of a second. I did see a comment in this thread or another that Darren was undrafted due to injury or durability concerns. That isn't correct. I have no idea why he is was undrafted. He was assured by one NFL coach that he would be taken in the 3rd or 4th round. Darren missed 2009 with the ACL injury, but came back with a very strong year last year, despite splitting carries with Ryan Williams and David Wilson. To the best of my knowledge in the 2008 and 2010 football seasons, Darren never missed a single play due to injury.

Sure hope he makes the cut

Yea there should be no concern with with him and his durability, i honestly like him more than carter.. but i do not think neither of them have showed much to take over Donalds spot. Let them play against starters and see how they play.

I am a jarvis james fan, but really i think the depth chart should be.

1. Addai

2. Carter

3. Evans

4. Spann

Goodbye Brown!

YES!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!! THIS IS 100% CORRECT! THESE NEED TO BE OUR RUNNING BACKS!!! THEY ARE THE FUTURE!!! Although i like James and wouldnt be mad if we had 5rbs but if we can only have 4 these 4 are IT!!!!!!!!

The other backs have been doing it against 3rd and 4th string players. Remember each team is allowed to carry more people this time of year compared to past years. YOu are going to have some duds out there on defense and so on.

Im not saying Brown is the new Edge, but give him a hole and he will produce well.

Also Evans scored a TD last night, on his 4th try. We also brought in Costanzo to help get him in the endzone. If the endzone wasn't there he would've fumbled the ball. Ball security is a must in this league. My money is on Evans to either be picked up by another team or practice squad.

Addai had some very solid runs vs. the Packers first unit. We put Brown in and what happened? He got two or three yards a carry. We put Carter in for a few carries vs. the Packers first unit and what happened he got yards. It's pretty clearly the Colts have not liked what they have seen from Brown or you wouldn't have seen us do all the other moves I listed before and that's without factorng in a guy like Evans.

Did y'all miss the game where Donald Brown gained 125 yards and put us in the playoffs last December..

Exhibition games mean nothing.

I'd keep Evans but Brown proved himself late last year when we needed him.

James is probably out but he could be called back if there's an injury

:thmsup:

Other teams have a run game, evans avg 1.9 yds in the bengals game it wasnt his fault it was the Olines fault... brown has plenty of passion for the game but it dont matter how big of a back or fast you are you will not succeed behind a performance the line put up last night.

People aren't just looking at this years preseason games when it comes to Brown. They're looking at his entire career so far playing for the Colts. It isn't that pretty. If Addai can do ok and if Carter can turn some heads his way so far then why make excuses for Brown? We can't always blame the Oline, sure they can do better but if everyone wasn't putting up numbers then you could claim that. I think Brown is in the same boat as Gonzo. One more year to show something then it's time to go.