Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Linkenbeast

The Peytonator

Per PFF

Control Up Front

Few would mistake the Indianapolis Colts in recent seasons for a physical, mauling football team likely to take control of a game up front. Even entering this game their offensive line’s run block grading varied from average to poor. However, in this game the Colts’ offensive line unexpectedly took charge of the Titans’ defensive line in the running game, both individually and as a unit. Every single member of the Colts’ line earned a run blocking grade higher than +1.0, and two players topped out at +3.1Anthony Castonzo and Jeff Linkenbach. While Castonzo’s grade may not be a great surprise, going up against the undersized Kamerion Wimbley, the work of the interior was very surprising. The way in which Jurrell Casey in particular was shut down by single and double-team blocks was a shock, and Casey was blanked in terms of stops in run defense for the second week in a row.

^^^^^Nice to hear something positive about everyone's favorite whipping boy.

Castanzo's grade surprised me. It seems like Luck was chased from the left side a lot. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm glad AC has developed so well, I had my doubts, but he looks to protect Luck's blindside for awhile.

This article is referring to run blocking, which to be honest he's been solid all year at. However, this past game was one I'm sure he'd like to forget in terms of pass blocking.

Ok, Link has had a few good games. Still a good deal of bad to atone for... Let's not go forgiving all sins just yet.

It's a what have you done for me lately league and Link has done well lately. Don't worry if he struggles again people will be just as harsh on him as they were before.

It is definitely a 'what have you done for me lately' league, just like this is a 'never satisfied' forum. If Luck goes on and wins 2 Super Bowls with the Colts, this forum will vibrate for years with 'it should have been 3 or 4...... '

We all want perfection (apart from Polian), but it does need to be coupled with realism.

McGlynn was also getting some love from PFF in the Secret Superstars for week 8......

Is it cheating to use two players here? Perhaps, but I just couldn’t give credit to one over the other after Mike McGlynn and Jeff Linkenbach came out of Week 8 as our third- and fourth-highest graded guards. Bouncing between teams, McGlynn has been up and down this season, though the past three weeks he has gradually played better. Linkenbach, meanwhile, has struggled since entering the league as an undrafted free agent in 2010, with most of his play coming at offensive tackle, yet has excelled in his last two starts at left guard.

While neither was a liability of any form as a pass blocker on Sunday, giving up just two hits and two hurries between them, it was in the running game that they really made an impact. On runs to the gap either side of McGlynn, the Colts averaged 7.5 yards per carry. That number dropped a little on runs either side of Linkenbach, but they still averaged 6.5 yards per carry there. Considering the Colts’ running backs weren’t breaking any tackles on those runs, that highlights just how good a job they both did. Linkenbach was particularly effective going up against impressive Titans rookie defensive tackle Mike Martin on 1st-and-10 with 12:09 left in the second quarter. Turning him at the line of scrimmage, he was able to drive him down the line and open up a huge hole for running back Vick Ballard to ease his way through.

Castanzo's grade surprised me. It seems like Luck was chased from the left side a lot. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm glad AC has developed so well, I had my doubts, but he looks to protect Luck's blindside for awhile.

These were grades from the running game, not the passing game. I would think Costanzos' pass blocking grade in the Titans game would be lower than the run blocking grade. He gave up a decent amount of pass rushing pressure at times during the game.

I had a smart aleck post here, thought better of it, and erased it. I will say this.....

All the fans have had to endure a great deal of negative posting about our O-lineman. It wasn't just a post or two....it was an all out verbal mauling of guys who are now a benefit to this team. My opinion?

Coaching staff - 1

Armchair Gm's - 0

It is definitely a 'what have you done for me lately' league, just like this is a 'never satisfied' forum. If Luck goes on and wins 2 Super Bowls with the Colts, this forum will vibrate for years with 'it should have been 3 or 4...... '

We all want perfection (apart from Polian), but it does need to be coupled with realism.

lol apart from polian I'm still mad about that i feel he messed up our momentum

If Luck goes on to win 2? I'm mad he hasn't won one yet.

These were grades from the running game, not the passing game. I would think Costanzos' pass blocking grade in the Titans game would be lower than the run blocking grade. He gave up a decent amount of pass rushing pressure at times during the game.

And by the term of "at times" you meant every time he was pass blocking a defender, right? :)

I must say, he has some gaffs here or there so far in his young career but against the titans, AC was horrific. Chalk that up to a really bad game and move on though unless he starts trending.

And by the term of "at times" you meant every time he was pass blocking a defender, right? :)

I must say, he has some gaffs here or there so far in his young career but against the titans, AC was horrific. Chalk that up to a really bad game and move on though unless he starts trending.

Wasn't one of his best games, but every snap was not bad. That's stretching it.

That was the knock on him coming out of college. Although I thought he handled himself well against Clay Matthews. As I posted earlier in the thread, I'm sure last week is a week he would like to forget.

I dont see Castonzo ever being elite for that reason, what would help is if Luck didn't hold onto the ball so much(which he does), but with that said sometimes our O Linemen do get beat from the get go, Maybe Castonzo would be a better RT, I dont know, I do know I dont want Justice having to go against speed rushers as well from Lucks blind side

Am I reading this correctly? Horrific? If I can borrow from The Princess Bride, "I don't think that word means what you think it means."

Let me put it this way, if our Left Tackle had played an 'horrific' game, the Colts would not have won. We would have lost. We likely would have lost big. And Luck would've been sacked many, many, many times.

Horrific?!? Holy Cow!!!

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I said at the beginning of the season linkenbach would do good at guard, if he does good against the dolphins then it seems reitz might sit for a while, although I still don't trust mcglynn at right guard, linkenbach needs to have a good game against the dolphins to earn the rest of my trust

They tried him at RG 2 years ago and it didn't go too well as he got abused BAD. He's really improved this year though playing the LG spot.