Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning Update

HitStick21

On the current SportsCenter Special, Bob Holtzman is in Cincinnati and reported about Peyton and Kerry Collins. In regards to Peyton, he confirmed Peyton is still on his "restricted practice schedule". However, he stated that Peyton will continue to lead you to believe he is right on track to start the Week 1 Opener. Also, he said that Peyton had pleaded his case to let the coaching staff and medical staff allow "HIM" to make the decision whether he goes. They appear to have agreed to this so if he does not play it is only becuase he deemed himself unfit to help the team.

Great news that he is feeling better and still feels that all is going well. Until next time, let the watch continue!

On the current SportsCenter Special, Bob Holtzman is in Cincinnati and reported about Peyton and Kerry Collins. In regards to Peyton, he confirmed Peyton is still on his "restricted practice schedule". However, he stated that Peyton will continue to lead you to believe he is right on track to start the Week 1 Opener. Also, he said that Peyton had pleaded his case to let the coaching staff and medical staff allow "HIM" to make the decision whether he goes. They appear to have agreed to this so if he does not play it is only becuase he deemed himself unfit to help the team.

Great news that he is feeling better and still feels that all is going well. Until next time, let the watch continue!

many indy star articles earlier this week said that its peyton's decision earlier, that the staff gave him that green light and all said he was on that restricted sched at least through this game , but that he is getting snaps and thats what he needs at first

He'll shock the world and come out in week 1 throwing with his left arm.

Gary Kubiak will just sit down on the sideline and cry, as will jack del rio, and Mike Munchak when the news gets out.

You read it here first.

Yea he wasn't able to work on his upper body in the offseason, so all he did was strengthen his legs. He will come out throwing left handed and show signs of vastly improved quickness in his lower body. He will now be known as Peyton Vick, not Peyton Manning. the bootleg last year was just a glimpse of what's to come! lmao

Gary Kubiak will just sit down on the sideline and cry, as will jack del rio, and Mike Munchak when the news gets out.

lol Perfect.

You're right, he's like "The Black Knight" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. He could have blood spurting from the ragged remains of most of his limbs and still find a way to win.

At no time should an athlete be the one deciding if he is physcially able to play. This is just bad and something that shows me that Peyton is more concerned with himself over the team in some ways. Right now there is no reason at all Peyton should be starting game 1 vs. Houston. The smart money is to have Collins go in game 1 and 2 and have Peyton ready for the big sunday night home game vs. the Steelers. But no, Peyton will be out there in Houston, we will lose he will struggle. The smart thing is to treat him just like every other player, have him practice and get ready and then bring him in at the right time. It's sad management refuses to stand up to Peyton.

At no time should an athlete be the one deciding if he is physcially able to play. This is just bad and something that shows me that Peyton is more concerned with himself over the team in some ways. Right now there is no reason at all Peyton should be starting game 1 vs. Houston.

Really? How do you know?

Since Peyton has the choice, I don't see him in a million years not starting the game. Even if only he plays the first drive or just the first snap, he doesn't want to end his record short. With all of the garbage I've heard on ESPN with them saying that Peyton won't be any good without much practice and we won't make the preseason I would oh so love to see Peyton have a 450 yards, 5 TDs, 0 Ints, 75% completion rating type game.

At no time should an athlete be the one deciding if he is physcially able to play. This is just bad and something that shows me that Peyton is more concerned with himself over the team in some ways. Right now there is no reason at all Peyton should be starting game 1 vs. Houston. The smart money is to have Collins go in game 1 and 2 and have Peyton ready for the big sunday night home game vs. the Steelers. But no, Peyton will be out there in Houston, we will lose he will struggle. The smart thing is to treat him just like every other player, have him practice and get ready and then bring him in at the right time. It's sad management refuses to stand up to Peyton.

Right. We should be trying to start 0-1 in the division against our biggest divisional rival, and 0-1 at the start of a tough schedule instead of winning a very winnable game in Houston... Our schedule is too tough to give up some winnable games early on to try and make it up down the stretch.

What are you basing any of your opinion on?? You think Kerry Collins at 100% being here for two weeks is better than Peyton at 80%... Bottom line Peyton isnt just "every other" player. He is one of the greatest to ever play. Even if Peyton was 100% we could still lose to Houston, just like last year.. Why would management not want him out there if he is phyicaly fit enough to go??

Its not that management refuses to stand up to him. This was an elective procedure to eleviate pain in his throwing arm. The fact of the matter is that this recovery is one that only Peyton can honestly know when he is ready. He has to feel that his throwing arm and the nerve regeneration is where it needs to be. The coaches can't look at him and say that he is ready because they aren't feeling what he is. Also, once again stating, its not that they refuse to stand up to him, but they respect him and trust him. They also recognize the respect Peyton has for the game and for his team, and they know that if Peyton isn't capable of playing, he'll be the first to say it. They recognize their own human error and acknowledge that they may say he's ready before he is if its purely their choice. If Peyton is or isn't ready, he'll be the first to say and I've said from day one, don't listen to any reporters, to Irsay, to Caldwell. The only person who can say if he'll be ready to play is Manning. Plain and simple. If you're honestly a Colts fan, the line "But no, Peyton will be out there in Houston, we will lose he will struggle" is not called for, because if he says he's ready to go out there, then you need to stand and support his decision to take the field. He's being a man by asking for this decision, because if he plays and does badly, its on him. If he doesn't play and they lose, its on him. The surgery was elective, and no one should take any flac for him, that's the way Peyton is. He takes his blame and is positioning for that to be the case if anything goes wrong, but also realizing that only he can truly know what's going on with his own body.

Let me ask you a few questions:

How do you know that "there is no reason at all Peyton should be starting game 1"? Are you treating him? Do you have access to his medical examinations? Are you practicing with him?

Can you see into the future? You did claim he will lose and struggle in weeks 1 and 2, so you must know something.

Were you in the room when the conversation between Manning, management, and the medical staff went down?

For all we know, the medical staff cleared him as "healthy." Manning is sticking to a light practice schedule, however, just to be cautious. He obviously knows the playbook, so the coaches aren't worried there. In other words, Peyton will decide, himself, if he is a hindrance to the team, or the weapon we all know and love. Nobody knows what he's feeling better than he does. Peyton has been the consummate team player throughout his career; this only further exemplifies that. If he can't help them win, he'll sit himself down.

The smart money is with the player that gives us the best chance to win. Manning will know who that is when the time comes. Not you.

You read it here first.

So I took this idea and ran with it and posted a spoof news story about it on my satire Colts blog.

With much of the focus in the world of NFL news being centered on Peyton Manning and his impending availability for the Colts week 1 season opener in Houston, I can now confirm to you that Manning will play, but it will look quite different from the Manning we're used to.

"Well, I got the idea while watching "Rocky II" last week," says Manning in an exclusive interview with lolcoltz. "Micky wanted Rocky to change his stance halfway through the fight to confuse Apollo Creed and it just made sense to me, you know? So I went out and started practicing it in the backyard and sure enough, I was no worse with my left arm than Curtis Painter is with any hand, so I was just like 'heck yeah, lets roll with it' and that's how it came about.

"I started doing it in practice this week, and it was going so well Coach Caldwell had to take a sick day. He was afraid he'd suddenly become dyslexic," Manning confided...

The switch in a blind side has taken the pressure of protection from rookie left tackle Anthony Costanzo and instead put it on newly christened RT Jeff Linkenbach's shoulders. In a telephone interview with lolcoltz Linkenbach confided that the change has not changed the way he approaches his game.

"I really have no idea what's going on when I'm out there. Never have, in fact. I just kinda hang out and push someone and see if it works."

The change in Manning's throwing arm will certainly cause even more sleepless nights for the fellow coaches in the AFC South. I took the liberty of calling Texans Head Coach Gary Kubiak Thursday afternoon and asking him how the possibility of such a thing would affect he and his team for week 1. I got no answer from Kubiak, who simply started sobbing uncontrollably on the other end, hanging up seconds later.

As I asked the same question to Jack Del Rio this afternoon I heard only a single gunshot in response. The call ended abruptly after that. Titans coach Mike Munchak was unavailable for comment, most likely breaking up a wild brawl taking place in Titans practice. It's also possible that he has become a hostage to the beard of Jake Scott, but undoubtedly no one will get close enough to find out, fearing a similar fate for themselves.

This undoubtedly means Manning will be starting in week 1, which means newly signed Kerry Collins won't get the chance. When asked if this upset Collins any he was quick to answer "Absolutely not... Getting paid to do nothing is the American dream. I live the dream and a half: I'll be getting paid to do nothing, and be free to haze Curtis Painter in my free time." (I'm not sure what a "Tennessee Teapot" is but Collins says Painter should be ready for one next time they meet in the showers.)

The newly trained left handed Manning will make his debut in Houston next Sunday, September 11th 2011.

http://lolcoltz.blogspot.com/

If Peyton has gotten the green light to decide on whether he should play in week one, and he does in fact decide to play, then we have to trust his decision. Peyton cares only about his team winning, and if he doesn't think he can give them the best shot then he will not play. Just recall the Afc championship game against the pats. Peyton on the last drive of the game injured his fingers and he told Sorgi to start warming up. Peyton would not jepordize his career and the colt's chance of winning just to show some bravdo by playing.

Also, a 10% Manning is better than any qb on our roster.

I think he would take himself out if he felt like Mario was breathing down his neck and he was getting knocked around too much, he wants to be sharp for week 2 and on obviously

Am I the only one who sees humor in this?

Peyton having neck problems...and a pass rusher breathing down his neck...

lol...

Peyton cares only about his team winning, and if he doesn't think he can give them the best shot then he will not play. Just recall the Afc championship game against the pats. Peyton on the last drive of the game injured his fingers and he told Sorgi to start warming up. Peyton would not jepordize his career and the colt's chance of winning just to show some bravdo by playing.

I'm pretty sure he was just trying to see if he could get Sorgi to pee his pants. He and Saturday probably had a bet riding on it.

He past the physical, but it's his choice if he wants to play.

That doesn't mean he forced the Doctors to put it in his hands, it just means if he feels that he can't give the Colts a competitive advantage, he'll sit this one out until he finds his legs again, and familiarizes himself with the game again.

Bottom line is I hope he plays in Houston on September 11th.