Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Would Like To See Us Bring Donald Strickland Back

Guest BlueShoe

Guest BlueShoe

He is currently playing for the Jets but might not make the team.

At one time he was a great corner/safety for us. He showed up every day to play until the injuries piled up on him too much.

I believe that we hurt his career by playing him at safety, but he has found a home in a few different places over the years and stayed working in the NFL. He would be really cheap to bring in and he has played in our system before.

He could be a lifesaver if one of our starting corners go down this year and he would likely be an upgrade to Lacey anyway.

Just food for thoughts...

At one time he was a great corner/safety for us. He showed up every day to play until the injuries piled up on him too much.

I believe that we hurt his career by playing him at safety, but he has found a home in a few different places over the years and stayed working in the NFL. He would be really cheap to bring in and he has played in our system before.

He could be a lifesaver if one of our starting corners go down this year and he would likely be an upgrade to Lacey anyway.

Strickland is a solid CB, IMO. If I remember correctly when he left the Colts they wanted to put him on IR even though his injury was not a season ending injury, he did not want to do that so they put him on IR and then agreed to a settlement/release and he signed with the Eagles. But at 30 years old and no INTs since his rookie season, I don't think he offers anything more than Tryon or KT. It is an interesting thought though.

I'm in the minority, however, I'm not worried about the CBs. I think Powers, Tryon, Lacey and KT are a solid group of corners (with Lacey being the weak point) and we will get a good look at Rucker tonight.

I'm more worried about LB depth. Outside of the top 5 (Angerer, Brackett, Conner, Wheeler, Sims) I haven't seen anyone worthy of a roster spot. I think Mouton will be on the practice squad but that is about it. I think the Colts are covered unless both Brackett and Angerer get injured because then the Colts are without a MIKE in which case I think we would see Conner (WILL), Sims (MIKE) and Wheeler (SAM).

I imagine there will be pick ups after the cuts are made but I doubt Strickland is one of those additions.

Madness, Stickland got lit up in one game by peyton on time I dont see how strickland is even close to being better than lacey, lacey has much better stats than him and he has more INT's than strickland has had in his whole career lol no thank you.

I'm more worried about LB depth. Outside of the top 5 (Angerer, Brackett, Conner, Wheeler, Sims) I haven't seen anyone worthy of a roster spot. I think Mouton will be on the practice squad but that is about it. I think the Colts are covered unless both Brackett and Angerer get injured because then the Colts are without a MIKE in which case I think we would see Conner (WILL), Sims (MIKE) and Wheeler (SAM).

Depth concerns because only five maybe, but a darn good five compared to a lot of years. Hoping for health.

I was under the impression that Mouton had made a good impression. The Sporting News draft guide had him rated as a sixth rounder. Why do you think he won't make the 53?

Did we play Strickland at safety? Are you confusing him with Marlin Jackson? Or am I?

Guest BlueShoe

Did we play Strickland at safety? Are you confusing him with Marlin Jackson? Or am I?

Nope. we played Strickland at safety for a while because we didn't have anyone else who could do it. He took a beating for us.

When I see the name "Mouton" im assuming people are talking about Adrian Moten or am I not aware of another LBer on the squad?(Not trying to be a smartelic. Honestly just asking)? Anyway, I think Moten has played pretty good in his time. IMO he has stood out over Colasanti, Neal, Tripplett, or the samoan guy.

Depth concerns because only five maybe, but a darn good five compared to a lot of years. Hoping for health.

I do agree with that. Conner is much better against the run than the pass, so having Sims as the nickle is great. Wheeler, IMO, is a good LB but too inconsistent to be a starter, but is a very solid, reliable back-up.
I was under the impression that Mouton had made a good impression. The Sporting News draft guide had him rated as a sixth rounder. Why do you think he won't make the 53?

lol, neither of us spelled his name correctly (I just looked it up), it's Moten. Mainly it's just because he's too green yet. he is slow to read and react, he's taken himself out of several plays trying to run around blocks or taking poor angles. On the positive side he has excellent speed and seems to be a good form tackler, from what I have read about him, he seems to be a smart, hard-working, studious player. I just think he needs some time to better learn zone coverage and get used to the "speed" of the game. Probably the best way I can put it, he reminds me of former Colts LB, Thornton, now imagine if Thornton came out of college a year too early.

That, combined with (my assumption) that the Colts will keep 10 or 11 dlineman is why I think the Colts will only keep 5 LBers on the 53 man roster.

I do agree with that. Conner is much better against the run than the pass, so having Sims as the nickle is great. Wheeler, IMO, is a good LB but too inconsistent to be a starter, but is a very solid, reliable back-up.

lol, neither of us spelled his name correctly (I just looked it up), it's Moten. Mainly it's just because he's too green yet. he is slow to read and react, he's taken himself out of several plays trying to run around blocks or taking poor angles. On the positive side he has excellent speed and seems to be a good form tackler, from what I have read about him, he seems to be a smart, hard-working, studious player. I just think he needs some time to better learn zone coverage and get used to the "speed" of the game. Probably the best way I can put it, he reminds me of former Colts LB, Thornton, now imagine if Thornton came out of college a year too early.

That, combined with (my assumption) that the Colts will keep 10 or 11 dlineman is why I think the Colts will only keep 5 LBers on the 53 man roster.

OK, Even though you weren't responding to me you answered my question. I agree with your assessment of Moten. He just looks quicker and is a better tackler IMO than the other backup choices we would have.

OK, Even though you weren't responding to me you answered my question. I agree with your assessment of Moten. He just looks quicker and is a better tackler IMO than the other backup choices we would have.

Outside of our top five (Brackett, Conner, Angerer, Wheeler, Sims), Moten is the only linebacker I think should make the final roster. Seems to me like he makes sense as a special teamer, at the least. Athletic, never stops working, decent size. He's practice squad eligible, so I hope if he doesn't make the 53 we'll at least have a shot to retain him and maybe activate him later. But if I were doing the 53, he'd make it.