Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Player Are You Going To Watch The Most, Thursday Night?

Coffeedrinker

This is probably just another way of asking who's your favorite. Now I know a lot of people will say Collins, etc. but for me, I will be paying the most attention to:

Kevin Thomas - This kid has been very impressive this preseason. He gets the biggest compliment of all from the other teams because they just do not throw to his side of the field much. When they do he either gets the PD or makes the tackle for a short gain. Before training camp, I stated that I thought KT would be the primary nickle back this year, but if he has a strong game against Cincy, I think he will replace Lacey as the starter. According to NFL.com he is 2nd on the team in solo tackles at 9.

Jamaal Anderson - Missed the first two games with an injury. Played well in the Packers game, so it will be interesting to see how he does with another week under his belt in the system.

The offensive tackles - Hopefully they keep AC and Link in longer than usual; AC to help with his learning curve and Link because he needs all the time and help he can get.

Lefeged/Caldwell - Both have looked good in preseason games. I will be watching to see how quickly they come up in run support and how quickly they close on the receiver once he has the ball in his hands.

Wheeler - He's been inconsistent in the off season (same as last season). Played well against the Rams, not so good against the Skins and played a solid game getting the start against the Pack.

Sims - I stated in another thread that I think Sims is auditioning for a starting job. If he shows he can do his assignments properly and not try to ad lib, I think he could be the starter. He covers more ground, faster than just about any LB I have seen.

The reason I did not put Nevis on this list is because he's already been impressive and IMO he doesn't have anything more to show or prove.

This is probably just another way of asking who's your favorite. Now I know a lot of people will say Collins, etc. but for me, I will be paying the most attention to:

Kevin Thomas - This kid has been very impressive this preseason. He gets the biggest compliment of all from the other teams because they just do not throw to his side of the field much. When they do he either gets the PD or makes the tackle for a short gain. Before training camp, I stated that I thought KT would be the primary nickle back this year, but if he has a strong game against Cincy, I think he will replace Lacey as the starter. According to NFL.com he is 2nd on the team in solo tackles at 9.

Jamaal Anderson - Missed the first two games with an injury. Played well in the Packers game, so it will be interesting to see how he does with another week under his belt in the system.

The offensive tackles - Hopefully they keep AC and Link in longer than usual; AC to help with his learning curve and Link because he needs all the time and help he can get.

Lefeged/Caldwell - Both have looked good in preseason games. I will be watching to see how quickly they come up in run support and how quickly they close on the receiver once he has the ball in his hands.

Wheeler - He's been inconsistent in the off season (same as last season). Played well against the Rams, not so good against the Skins and played a solid game getting the start against the Pack.

Sims - I stated in another thread that I think Sims is auditioning for a starting job. If he shows he can do his assignments properly and not try to ad lib, I think he could be the starter. He covers more ground, faster than just about any LB I have seen.

The reason I did not put Nevis on this list is because he's already been impressive and IMO he doesn't have anything more to show or prove.

jerry hughes to see if they use him at middle linebacker on third and 1 or fourth and 1. there might be a use for him on short yd defense

Gilreath - would like to see him with a few big plays at WR

Brooks - I don't know that he "has it" right now... but for some reason I think he'll be awesome in the future.

Harris - would like to see a bit more from him to solidify a spot.

And I totally agree with your list as well.

I think this guy may send Gonzo to the .... waiver wire.. or wherever they go...

Brown- I want this guy to suceed and I think he has something to prove this year

Hughes- Im wondering if we need to go back and draft another 1st round end next year. The position is too important not to have a guy waiting behind Freeney and Mathis,\ Chick- I watched this guy in the CFL and Im wondering if he can adjust to the NFL or if he has the skills

Harris- Im super interested in how our new DL will look with someone like him in there. If he plays well and stays healthy, all of the sudden we may have a dayum good line.

Bullit- Im interested if he can step it up to be a true strater in the NFL. He has always been #2 on the depth chart this is his first year where its his position to lose.

Kevin Tomas- I want this guy to work out on the simple fact I think this is our biggest need in terms of a single position.

I will be watching for Sims, Harris, Anderson, Hughs and Thomas on Defense. I want to see Sims and Harris secure starting spots. Jerry Hughs just needs to make a play. Show some enthusiasm, act like your fighting for your career. Thomas I just want to show consistency in coverage and possibly work his way into the starting spot.

On offense I will be watching Collins to see how his arm is, and how much of the offense he knows by now, and if he has a favorite target yet. Which I'm sure will have a lot to do with his comfort level in the offense. I'm curious how long the starters will play with Collins, just have to wait and see. Bring on Delone Carter. I would like to see him a lot in this game. I enjoyed the way he played against the Packers last week. Donald Brown needs to step up in my opinion. Hopefully he will look sharp when he is out there this week.

Kerry Collins. He's going to get significant time, and our chances of beating the Texans and Browns may rest on his shoulders.

Kevin Thomas. I've knocked on him for being injury prone, but he's quickly making me a believer. He's just a well rounded corner who can straight up play ball. I expect him to play most of the game tonight, just so the coaching staff can continue to evaluate him to see if he can take the spot away from lacey.

Tommie Harris. A week ago I figured he wouldn't make the 53 with his injury, and Drake Nevis being Drake Nevis. He had a pretty good game last week in limited time, and I think he gets a bigger role tonight to see what he's made of.

Ernie Sims. Dude's out for a starting spot, and he's shooting from behind the 8 ball. I expect him to get extended time tonight to make more of a case for a starting spot.

And WR not named "Wayne" or "Garçon". Chris Brooks, Taj Smith, and David Gilreath are all in a battle for a roster spot. If we don't cut Gonzalez, two of the three will make the 53,the odd man out to the practice squad. Smith has an advantage of being here longer than the others, and that's going to help him. Brooks should get extended time tonight to see if he can continue to play as well as he has. If he can, I'd say he gets a spot, while Gilreath heads to the PS. IMO, though, Gonzo should go. He's already injured, he's going to continue to be injured, and we're wasting a spot on him, keeping someone who could actually produce off the field.

Jerry Hughes. Depending on how much Harris and Nevis play, he's going to be in there with a guy who can penetrate the pocket and let him do some good work off the end. If he can't, it's just going to be another chapter in the story of a man who is re-inventing "disappointing".

Not going to read into much else. I'll be watching the starting O-line as long as they're in, but I think that will be their usual one series, and then out. Not going to read much into the run game, either. We know Carter and Spann are better, and more deserving of a spot than some (I won't mention names, donald brown, so don't worry) and they can run, but the blocking behind the starters is pretty sub-par, so if they each have duds for games, I'll not be concerned in the least.

Jerry Hughes. Depending on how much Harris and Nevis play, he's going to be in there with a guy who can penetrate the pocket and let him do some good work off the end. If he can't, it's just going to be another chapter in the story of a man who is re-inventing "disappointing".

I guess I might be setting the bar too high here... For a guy who doesn't yet have a hurry, sack, or even tackle to his credit this pre-season, I guess if he simply had ANY kind of impact on a play (even just a half tackle) it's an improvement over what he's shown so far...

How truly sad is that?

I am going to be looking for Sims, as he is playing for a starting job IMO. He missed the first two pre-season games, and he has some ground to make up to prove he can play in the Colts system

I will look at Gilreath/Taj as I think they are playing for a job

I will look to see who plays the least (Nevis maybe) because if they don't play a lot in the 4th pre-season game that is a good indicator they are a starter. Even if they are not a starter it is a good indicator of who will try and be utilized the team a lot during the regular season.

I want to see how Linkenback plays and hopefully he can give Collins some time to pass the ball

I guess I might be setting the bar too high here... For a guy who doesn't yet have a hurry, sack, or even tackle to his credit this pre-season, I guess if he simply had ANY kind of impact on a play (even just a half tackle) it's an improvement over what he's shown so far...

How truly sad is that?

What are you talking about? According to NFL.com (which is not the most accurate) he has 5 tackles and 0.5 sacks). NFL.com does not count QH(at least outside their Gamebook.pdf files which I can't find since they went to the new format) On the stats I've kept while watching the game, I have him in on 8 tackles, 0.5 sack, 4 QB hurries.

What are you talking about? According to NFL.com (which is not the most accurate) he has 5 tackles and 0.5 sacks). NFL.com does not count QH(at least outside their Gamebook.pdf files which I can't find since they went to the new format) On the stats I've kept while watching the game, I have him in on 8 tackles, 0.5 sack, 4 QB hurries.

Talking with someone elsewhere about Hughes he brought that up. I mis-read his post, though. According to the post, he's had two games where he's gotten nothing, and since I haven't noticed him at all in the pre-season, it sounded about right to me. Not sure where he got his stats from.

But still, he's having much less of an impact than he should, which in, and of itself is sad.

John Chick

Nate Tripplet

I'll also be keeping a close eye on Tripplet as well as the other LB's. Actually I'll be watching the defense as a whole pretty closely, as well as the offense so yeah..lol. Tripplet is a guy though that I really hope has something to bring to the table and can make the final 53 man roster. He seemed to be around the ball quite a bit in the Packer game in the limited playing time he had. :)

Sims. Last game, he seemed like he was always around the ball.

Brown and Hughes... They really need to start showing something.

I can honestly see Brown, Hughes, and Gonzo getting cut this weekend. And that would suck. But.....

We MIGHT cut Gonzo and Brown but we aren't cutting Hughes after only one season. Not when it's clear Polian believes it can take up to three years for a defensive lineman to develop.

Talking with someone elsewhere about Hughes he brought that up. I mis-read his post, though. According to the post, he's had two games where he's gotten nothing, and since I haven't noticed him at all in the pre-season, it sounded about right to me. Not sure where he got his stats from.

But still, he's having much less of an impact than he should, which in, and of itself is sad.

What kind of stats should he have?

I don't understand why some of you think Sims is playing for a starting spot. Wheeler nor Conner have really outplayed him, he has the most talent of true outside LBers and its obvious when watching. He's alittle sloppy but that's why he's getting so much playing time, to get sharper.

I think all the FA pick ups will be on the team.

Sims will start, Anderson and Harris will be back up/ special packages players. Im hoping Nevis earns a playing spot at some point this season.

I don't understand why some of you think Sims is playing for a starting spot. Wheeler nor Conner have really outplayed him, he has the most talent of true outside LBers and its obvious when watching. He's alittle sloppy but that's why he's getting so much playing time, to get sharper.

Sims will start, Anderson and Harris will be back up/ special packages players. Im hoping Nevis earns a playing spot at some point this season.

I think the same thing about Sims. I think the reason why they said he would be playing a lot is because he missed the first 2 preseason games and he needs to get up to speed. IMO he's locked in as one of the starters.

I remember him participating two sacks - one of which he sprinted/pivoted around the outside just like Mathis does.

Maybe since it was impressive, you assumed it was Mathis? ;)

What disturbs me about Hughes is how often he bounces off whoever blocks him and seems to give up. When he gets up a head of steam, however, there is no denying the ability.

I agree Conner has done, okay but not great. Wheeler is a SAM and Sims and Conner are WILLs so I don't think they are part of the same competition. The reason why I think Sims is playing for a starting spot is because; he's only played one game and he didn't look great in that one game. He seemed out of position on his drops (this is an assumption on my part from watching where Conner drops to and where Sims drops to. It's possible it could be Conner who is in the wrong, but since he has a year with the D, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt). And a big part of it is technique. The Colts(and I'm sure most teams) want a player to get to the correct spot but to get to the correct spot in the correct body position, it's brutal, a player has to maintain the correct form (form covers everything from foot position, knee position, hands, arms, head, torso) while making his drop, arrive in his spot at the correct time and make the correct reads. So he needs to show he can do that and if he does I think he will be the opening day starter. If he doesn't show he can do that, then I think we will see Conner a good portion of the year and Sims will be used primarily in nickel packages.

The only FA I'm not sure about is Hamlin. The Colts must see something in him to sign him so late but Lefeged and Caldwell have both been playing as well as you could expect for back-up safeties so I'm not even sure of the motivation behind the signing outside of what Caldwell stated, that from the notes they had on him a couple of years ago in the draft that they thought he was a player in which it was worth taking a look at him. Perhaps they will carry 5 safeties this year.

But I do think Anderson, Sims, Brayton and Harris all make the roster.

Nevis Island!!!

The corners. I cannot for the life of me figure out why Lacey is starting over both Tryon and Thomas. I would feel a lot better about our CBs if the depth chart listed them as Powers, Tryon, Thomas, then Lacey.

Sims will be starting early this season. He's only had one game to get his feet wet in our scheme, and to me he looked like a baller. Once he gets little more comfortable he will be light years ahead of Conner.

....and obviously the oline. That Linkencock guy...he's pretty good. If you like 6'5, 300 lb tackles who are physically lifted into the air by the defender and thrown into their own quarterback.