Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

27th Best OLine in the League!

The Peytonator

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/24/offensive-line-rankings/

We definitely have a strong Tackle tandem going. Justice has been the best RT in pass pro in the league this year. Castonzo has been about average there and strong in run blocking. I feel Linkenbach has been an improvement over Olsen so maybe we'll move up a little. If the coaches wouldn't be so stubborn and just let Shipley start at Center we might be even more improved.

https://www.profootb...-line-rankings/

We definitely have a strong Tackle tandem going. Justice has been the best RT in pass pro in the league this year. Castonzo has been about average there and strong in run blocking. I feel Linkenbach has been an improvement over Olsen so maybe we'll move up a little. If the coaches wouldn't be so stubborn and just let Shipley start at Center we might be even more improved.

I agree in every respect Peytonator, and I loved the signing of Shipley LAST year....always thought if given a chance like Jeff Saturday he could shine. He has a mean streak.

As with any OL....continuty and chemistry are essential...we have been hurt....hopefully we can play as a cohesive unit.....with a mean streak...sometimes that helps when you lack true talent....:) BTW...Link/Shipley together were opening holes together when they played....Link much better at LG than tackle. (No I am not a Link fan...a Colt Fan :))

I think it might have been upside-down French turnovers.... :)

Something like that.

Now let's try to get back to the topic :)

Dale Sr. would drive block(hands inside the box) Sacha into the wall clearing a space that would make any Colts back run to daylight. Maybe they should take notes :)

I'd say 27th is a little low. I'd put them closer to average. Maybe 17-19.. They aren't as bad as many want to suggest but there is plenty of room to improve.

https://www.profootb...-line-rankings/

Given that our strongest area of performance was pass blocking and our lowest was run blocking and we are well below average in penalties, I'd say we've graded out where most thought we'd be.

That said, I think there's an argument to be made that the gradings are not entirely accurate. I'd say we're actually much worse. I think Andrew Luck is the main reason we've graded out so surprisingly well as pass blockers. Seriously.

After the Minnesota game, Jared Allen said he thought the Vikings were close on about 6 more QB sacks, and credited Luck and his escapability to avoid sacks for that. If Luck is indeed helping the Colts avoid taking sacks --- and I suspect we all agree on that --- then I think it can be argued that our pass blocking is NOT AS GOOD as the rankings make it out to be.

I think this is a very poor OL.

One thing looked interesting to me... a good grade to AQ Shipley. Wonder where that might lead down the road?

FJC and FX.....what do you think Dale Sr. would have done with Sacha in turn 1,2,3 and 4.....????? :) Shake and Bake? :)

I'm with FJC, bump and pass. haha The off-road trailing was fun.

With O-line, I think a couple different factors need to be considered to place a number on them. Recently we've had great pass blocking, but terrible run blocking. So we can't be said to be the best. The article tries to do this it seems. Then again a system could be flawed by a running QB, or a bad running back.

Hard to rank these things.

Given that our strongest area of performance was pass blocking and our lowest was run blocking and we are well below average in penalties, I'd say we've graded out where most thought we'd be.

That said, I think there's an argument to be made that the gradings are not entirely accurate. I'd say we're actually much worse. I think Andrew Luck is the main reason we've graded out so surprisingly well as pass blockers. Seriously.

After the Minnesota game, Jared Allen said he thought the Vikings were close on about 6 more QB sacks, and credited Luck and his escapability to avoid sacks for that. If Luck is indeed helping the Colts avoid taking sacks --- and I suspect we all agree on that --- then I think it can be argued that our pass blocking is NOT AS GOOD as the rankings make it out to be.

I think this is a very poor OL.

One thing looked interesting to me... a good grade to AQ Shipley. Wonder where that might lead down the road?

The way they break down pass blocking factors all that into it. If a guy gives up pressure, but it doesn't result in a sack, he grades out negatively on the play. A sack gets you a more negative grade, but they do take everything into account. They really do a good job of breaking every player down for every game. The only thing they don't take into account is each guy's individual assignment, but usually you can tell who had who.

The way they break down pass blocking factors all that into it. If a guy gives up pressure, but it doesn't result in a sack, he grades out negatively on the play. A sack gets you a more negative grade, but they do take everything into account. They really do a good job of breaking every player down for every game. The only thing they don't take into account is each guy's individual assignment, but usually you can tell who had who.

Thanks! That's very good 411. Good information for me (and others) to know. Good intel is often hard to come by!

Appreciate you sharing the knowledge... Now, if I can just remember it?! (so many things rattling around in my head....)