Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

On Game Planning Vs Texans

bayone

1 issue I see is that if Collins is the starter, game plan 1 way,something more simplified , Lets say do more 2 TE sets & more runs ,

if Peyton is in u game plan another way more 3 WR sets , more types of route developments

Sure are many other differences such as what to do on 3rd downs or 4th downs etc

so in other words game planning for 2 different QBs, one new to a team need , makes it harder to game plan effectively as have to split time between the 2 possibilities, unless of course colts know and just aren't saying

I think the Colts did some 2 TE sets in pre-season just for this reason. To give the Texans two different scenarios to gameplan for. We have showed some success running the ball in this formation as well. It's gotta be a nightmare for Wade Philips with his new defense and having to gameplan for both Kerry Collins and Peyton Manning. I'm this close to feeling a little bit sorry for the guy haha

I think the Colts did some 2 TE sets in pre-season just for this reason. To give the Texans two different scenarios to gameplan for. We have showed some success running the ball in this formation as well. It's gotta be a nightmare for Wade Philips with his new defense and having to gameplan for both Kerry Collins and Peyton Manning. I'm this close to feeling a little bit sorry for the guy haha

I am convinced that Peyton will play vs. the Texans. However, even for a player of Peyton's caliber, it is going to be impossible to jump out there and be in command of the entire playbook. Mentally he has it, but physically, it is based on muscle memory and repetition. Further, we have a different O-line. With Castonzo covering Peyton's blind side, it is not in anyone's best interest for tons of audibles and trips packages. I look for a lot of 2 TE sets for 3 to 4 weeks. Peyton can step in to vanilla and cram it down just about anyone's throat. It also means the rest of the team can practice with Collins and it will be a simpler transition for them. More 2 TE sets will also allow our RB's to have a chance.

I am convinced that Peyton will play vs. the Texans. However, even for a player of Peyton's caliber, it is going to be impossible to jump out there and be in command of the entire playbook. Mentally he has it, but physically, it is based on muscle memory and repetition. Further, we have a different O-line. With Castonzo covering Peyton's blind side, it is not in anyone's best interest for tons of audibles and trips packages. I look for a lot of 2 TE sets for 3 to 4 weeks. Peyton can step in to vanilla and cram it down just about anyone's throat. It also means the rest of the team can practice with Collins and it will be a simpler transition for them. More 2 TE sets will also allow our RB's to have a chance.

I have said its possible Peyton starts games sand pending muscle endurance , if tires later on then Collins comes into finish, problem with that is Peyton isnt there for last minute TD wining drives