Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gonzo Is Uncertain About His Roster Spot.

ColtsHoosiersBB

is it too late to put him on the pup?

I had that same thought. I think if they put him on PUP now he has to sit 6 games, since he wasn't put on PUP at the start of the preseason.

I may be wrong, but I also think if they put him on PUP it doesn't count as a roster spot.

I had that same thought. I think if they put him on PUP now he has to sit 6 games, since he wasn't put on PUP at the start of the preseason.

I may be wrong, but I also think if they put him on PUP it doesn't count as a roster spot.

yeah let him sit six weeks & if he still isn't ready, we cut or ir him. this might just give him one lat chance

yeah let him sit six weeks & if he still isn't ready, we cut or ir him. this might just give him one lat chance

I'll qualify this by saying I'm a Buckeye, however I still want a guy that can actually get on the field. Gonzo is special when he plays, in spite of some of the things you read here.

Just go to 18to88 and read Nate's article on him, and you'll agree.

is it too late to put him on the pup?

yes it is you can only be on PUP before the start of camp. Which is why White is there. Frankly I have thought all along we are going to keep Gonzo' since it's the last year of his deal and if he struggles this year we'll just let him leave with his deal being up. I think we are stashing White on PUP so we can bring him back after six weeks if we need him and if not just stash him on IR so we have him for next year since Wayne, Gonzo, and Garcon's deals are all up at years end.

yes it is you can only be on PUP before the start of camp. Which is why White is there. Frankly I have thought all along we are going to keep Gonzo' since it's the last year of his deal and if he struggles this year we'll just let him leave with his deal being up. I think we are stashing White on PUP so we can bring him back after six weeks if we need him and if not just stash him on IR so we have him for next year since Wayne, Gonzo, and Garcon's deals are all up at years end.

I had read something from Phil B saying that White expected to be off PUP last week. Since that has not happened yet, my guess is you are exactly right. Keep him on PUP and gauge WR injuries / productivity in 6 weeks and see what they can do with him then.

That would make sense. Not to mention we should have Brooks or Gilreath on the active roster (probably Gilreath). Brooks will more than likely make the practice squad, so it won't be too terrible if White cannot go. I remember starting a thread right after we signed Gilreath asking the community if White would be replaced by Gilreath. If White is not off of the PUP list, it is telling me that Gilreath could potentially be White's replacement for a while. As far as Gonzo is concerned, I really think he needs to get on the field and prove his worth to the team. I am one of the people that are in favor of bringing in TJ if Gonzo cannot go. Only time will tell though.

I think Gonzo will get cut if he doesnt suit up for thursdays game. We have seen virtually nothing from him in the last 2 years and have up and coming talent that can occupy his spot at WR. What good is it to keep a person with all the talent in the world that cant get on the field? Its sad but we must move on imo.

I really like the guy, I feel the same way about him that I do Matthew Stafford. He shows promise and talent WHEN he's actually on the field but if he can't stay healthy this year, I think its time we cut our loses. Im cheering for the guy though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if we cut him while still under contract, we'd still have to pay him right? If that's the case, which I believe it is, then why would they cut him now? He has one year left so we're paying him regardless unless we trade him, but what team would give anything worthwhile for him? None so we're stuck. Hopefully, he'll stay healthy and have a breakout year and show why he was a first round draft pick. If he is hurt again for the majority of the season then I see no way he gets re-signed. I really don't think he has to worry about being cut at this point though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if we cut him while still under contract, we'd still have to pay him right? If that's the case, which I believe it is, then why would they cut him now? He has one year left so we're paying him regardless unless we trade him, but what team would give anything worthwhile for him? None so we're stuck. Hopefully, he'll stay healthy and have a breakout year and show why he was a first round draft pick. If he is hurt again for the majority of the season then I see no way he gets re-signed. I really don't think he has to worry about being cut at this point though.

No the Colts would not have to pay him if they cut him, NFL contracts are not guaranteed. That is why players want signing bonuses and roster bonuses because those are guaranteed.

If they cut Gonzo the Colts would still have a cap hit for him, His original signing bonus divided by the number of years of his contract. But considering he is still on his rookie contract even that would be minimal.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but if they are on the PUP list for 6 games, they do count as a roster spot anyways. I thought we seen that with Sanders last year or perhaps someone else but they felt like the player was worth holding the roster spot vs putting on IR or outright cut.

As for paying the player, I thought if they got cut before the regular season started, they don't get the paycheck but if they play into the season, they do get that years salary.