Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cam Newton Dejected.

House

Anyone catch his press conference after the Carolina Panthers loss to the Cowboys?

He looked really sullen, and kept repeating "something's got to change"

I'm really surprised by his performance this season. I thought he would look much better than he has.

That being said. The Panthers don't have an abundance of talent that's for certain.

Anyone catch his press conference after the Carolina Panthers loss to the Cowboys?

I'm really surprised by his performance this season. I thought he would look much better than he has.

That being said. The Panthers don't have an abundance of talent that's for certain.

The thing with his type of play style is that he relies on a big play, so if a defense can prevent that, then he'll start to get irritated during the game. Thus forcing bad decisions and loses.

The thing with his type of play style is that he relies on a big play, so if a defense can prevent that, then he'll start to get irritated during the game. Thus forcing bad decisions and loses.

He seems like he doesn't have a lot of fight in him. Even at the end of last year when they would start to lose he would put a towel over his head and sulk on the sideline.

I don't know if he bought too much into his own hype and thought this would be an easy Allstar year or what. He has not looked as prolific as he did last year.

Hde's immauture andnits showing....

what did he play in college..one year??

...JuCo before that...

..Everybyd loved him last year..Now he's learning how the other half (like Mark Sanchez) lives.

You wont see Luck or RG3 moping when they lose........its part of the game

..but those boys have played a lot more than Cam has...and he hadnt really lost much before last season...

He just needs to grow up..he'll be fine

He's always looked that way after a loss.

Defenses know how to handle him now, and there's no myth behind the man which leads to no man behind the myth anymore.

vince young can relate. So can michael vick, derek anderson, and matt cassell. Once a defense breaks down your tendencies in ALL situations, you have to be a great player at the position.

These guys are not.

Cam's an exciting player to watch, and I don't doubt his desire for a second. Hopefully for himself and Carolina, he's able to mature and even things out mentally. He plays and reacts like a player whose never had much NOT go exactly the way he planned it or wanted it to be.

The mark of a great fighter isn't whether he gets knocked down, it's how he gets back up. Anger and frustration happen to every player in the NFL at some point because there will never be a time where everything goes your way your entire career. This is probably the first time in his football life Cam's really had to deal with that. Some guys adapt and deal with it in a healthy way, some don't. We'll need to wait until the end of his 3rd season to see if he's learned and applied what he needs to, or if he's another talented guy who got figured out and winds up on the scrap heap of one-year wonders.

I would have thought that he would have changed after the way he was criticized a few weeks ago for acting so dejected at that press conference....guess not.

That's why he shocked me with how negative and almost pouty he was today.

I'm disappointed in what I am seeing in Cam Newton this year. He can't handle adversity right now and his lack of leadership is showing...big time. Stop brooding like a baby after every friggin loss. I'm sick of all his wallowing in self-pity and general negativity. He is not setting a good example at all for his team mates. He has too much talent to allow himself to be held back by such immaturity.

Remember Andrew Luck after our 3 losses....?

Walked to the mike..answered all the questions...even a bit of a smile..

Afte this season....Carolina should ask one of the Mannings or Michal Vick or Tom Brady to talk to him

..about standing up and facing losses.....and hard times.

he's too good to handle the post game this way...

I posted about a month and a half ago that Cam had actively gone to former HOF QB Joe Montana and others concerning...."seeking advice for how to avoid the sophomore jinx." At that point in time, Montana said that concerned him about Cam.

If a QB as talented as Cam Newton gets this kind of feeling about himself it cannot be good. He is obviously affected by the situation as he should be. It did not help that many predicted Carolina to be anywhere from 10-6 to 13-3. Also it did not help for teammates to put out full page ads saying the Panthers would win the Super Bowl.

I am not a Panther fan, but my hopes are Cam Newton can overcome what could render him obsolete if he cannot control the 'angst' and borderline depression that appears to be at hand....Good luck Cam...you are too good. Go out and play football young man!!! :thmup: :thmup: :thmup:

Always good to refer to a female reporter as sweatheart. I am sure that will go over well even if that is not how he meant it.

I would be dejected to if I needed help at WR and my GM went and made the RBs the highest paid combo in a league that is making the running game less and less relevant

I understand the frustration of losing constantly and being in a poorly ran organization, but as the face of the team you just cannot let that frustration show through.

Like many before him Baby Cam is learning despite being BMOC @ Auburn and a pretty boy winner in college he is now just another chump in the grass like all rookies. This is the best thing that can happen to him and his kind. Does he believe his resume guarantees victory or is he learning what the NFL is? He should read the story of Terrill Owens or about the loser that came out of Texas as the BMOC, got millions of dollars at Tennessee and now is out of the NFL and rumored to be broke. Wake up Newton or you will be reading the want ads before you know it.

My unexamined theory is that he hasn't experienced failures until now, which makes him unequipped to deal with them. It's unfortunate for him because the ability to learn from them is the single most important feature to be successful at anything. This is the area where Andrew Luck excels—he's always learned from his mistakes and he never had two bad games in a row in college.

Did you see this pro football weekly scouting report on him from last year?

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/03/29/cam-newton-scouting-report

Negatives: Played in a simplified, run-first, dive-option read offense with very basic high-low reads. Worked exclusively out of the gun and was very quick to run at the first flash of coverage. Limited field vision — does not process the passing game. Inconsistent throwing mechanics with a flick delivery — generates all of his power from his upper-body strength and too often arms the ball. Streaky passer with spotty accuracy. Makes his receivers work hard and throws into coverage. Does not spin a tight spiral. Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup. Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law — does not command respect from teammates and always will struggle to win a locker room. Only a one-year producer. Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable.

Very scathing. I don't know how fair this report is, but if Nolan Nawrocki is right, his big ego is a problem. As my husband often says, big ego is usually a sign of big insecurity, and if his past success masked his insecurity, he now has to learn how to deal with it in front of all of us, fast. That's a difficult task for anyone.

The mark of a great fighter isn't whether he gets knocked down, it's how he gets back up. Anger and frustration happen to every player in the NFL at some point because there will never be a time where everything goes your way your entire career.
I posted about a month and a half ago that Cam had actively gone to former HOF QB Joe Montana and others concerning...."seeking advice for how to avoid the sophomore jinx." At that point in time, Montana said that concerned him about Cam. If a QB as talented as Cam Newton gets this kind of feeling about himself it cannot be good. you are too good. Go out and play football young man!!!
As my husband often says, big ego is usually a sign of big insecurity, and if his past success masked his insecurity, he now has to learn how to deal with it in front of all of us, fast. That's a difficult task for anyone.

Precisely, just like Rocky Balboa, no matter how many times your face hits the canvas or football field with a sack shake it off and have selective amnesia and move onto the next play and down. Actually, I disagree with HOF 49ers QB Joe Montana. I admire a guy that wants to avoid a 2nd year performance slump. It means 2 things: You are a student of the NFL as a young QB and you give a hoot about winning. I admire that. Cam's problem: He's never lost on the national media stage before. Channel that frustration into positive energy in the huddle sir. If your team mates see you down and dejected, they won't fight for those extra yards for a 1st down. WR Steve Smith needs to sit down and have a heart to heart conversation with him about determination and burying losses for good IMO.

Ego may be a sign of security that's true. But, in order to play this violent sport of gladiator hits, all QBs in the NFL must adopt an alter ego persona. Not a pompous jerk; just a warrior mentality of confidence, strength, and tenacity to never throw in the towel. Just like RB Arian Foster is learning on the Houston Texas sideline. Don't pout. Say I'm ticked off and I promise come Hades or high water I promise that the Panthers will fix this problem if it's the last thing I ever do.

The problem with Newton is his arrogance.

The kid had been mentored by one of the best QB's ever, and he's got out standing talent, but what is holding him back is the Me first attitude. He's not the only one, Steve Smith is a trouble maker on that team too with his attitude.

The problem with Newton is his arrogance.

The kid had been mentored by one of the best QB's ever, and he's got out standing talent, but what is holding him back is the Me first attitude. He's not the only one, Steve Smith is a trouble maker on that team too with his attitude.

That's pretty bad when Steve Smith is getting on you for your attitude!

Krunk......I just laughed flat out loud on that one! :funny: "Manson" just told me to be kind to others....URRGH!

Seriously! If it has gotten to the point to where Steve Smith has to speak about this guys attitude, then it has got to be even worse than we think it is. He seems to not be able to handle disappointment and it reminds you a lot of Terrell Owens. I'm waiting for the guy to pull a Ryan Leaf and go off on one of the reporters. "Knock it off alright!" "Knock it off"

Seriously! If it has gotten to the point to where Steve Smith has to speak about this guys attitude, then it has got to be even worse than we think it is. He seems to not be able to handle disappointment and it reminds you a lot of Terrell Owens. I'm waiting for the guy to pull a Ryan Leaf and go off on one of the reporters. "Knock it off alright!" "Knock it off"

Krunk.....I need a suggestion box on which Colt hat I should wear....my 2004 AFC South Championship :coltshelmet: ....or my SuperBowl :lombardi: .....but I aint callin ya sweetheart :spit:

OK....sarcasm over.....to have the talent and lack the maturity.....unbelievable.

Of he changes his attitude he could be a very good QB but he's arrogant, immature, and entitled. I'm willing to bet the entitlement attitude comes from his family telling him how great and blessed he is his whole life. Maybe I'm wrong , I really don't know but from his own words and from the stories out there, that's what I'm deducting. I don't like what seems to be a mixture of arrogance, ego, and religion. He talks about how blessed he is in a conceded way, then shows how humble he is by doing Superman poses when he's down 3 TDs.

Pride are like dirty rags Cam, stop acting like your abilities alone will get the job done. This part really confuses me because I hear he's a hard worker, putting in time for film study and practice, but why is he not learning how to be a pocket passer? He's still a option QB.

The " sweetheart" and " suggestion box" and " something's got to change" comments tells me he thinks he knows everything he should know, and his playing style and current skills should be good enough to win.

Also he doesn't strike as being very bright, which doesn't help his attitude. But if he had a winning attitude he can overcome that, Terry Bradshaw comes to mind. Not bright, but a good football IQ IMO because his attitude was good for being leader and teammate.

Krunk,

I admire your honesty and accurate analysis 99% of the time, but T.O. has become the "whipping boy" for WR diva behavior i.e. how not to act or conduct yourself as a professional athlete. Admittedly in San Francisco and Philadelphia, T.O. was very full of himself and arrogant, but in Buffalo and Ohio T.O. was humble, hardworking, and the perfect team mate. Even in Seattle, T.O. was on his best behavior largely due child support payments he needed to make.

My point is that T.O. is a HOF NFL WR who has been crushed by bad investments and poor financial decisions and I can separate a player's actions as an individual and as a once superstar athlete. I don't kick a man when he's broke and down and out. Yes, T.O. created this entire situation himself, but T.O. attitude has undergone a significant metamorphosis and he isn't the same arrogant individual he was at a younger age IMO. People must acknowledge that fact. I'm not saying that you fall into this category krunk, but too many people gloss over the fact that people can and do change over time.

Krunk,

I admire your honesty and accurate analysis 99% of the time, but T.O. has become the "whipping boy" for WR diva behavior i.e. how not to act or conduct yourself as a professional athlete. Admittedly in San Francisco and Philadelphia, T.O. was very full of himself and arrogant, but in Buffalo and Ohio T.O. was humble, hardworking, and the perfect team mate. Even in Seattle, T.O. was on his best behavior largely due child support payments he needed to make.

My point is that T.O. is a HOF NFL WR who has been crushed by bad investments and poor financial decisions and I can separate a player's actions as an individual and as a once superstar athlete. I don't kick a man when he's broke and down and out. Yes, T.O. created this entire situation himself, but T.O. attitude has undergone a significant metamorphosis and he isn't the same arrogant individual he was at a younger age IMO. People must acknowledge that fact. I'm not saying that you fall into this category krunk, but too many people gloss over the fact that people can and do change over time.

To be more clear Southwest I should have separated which T.O. I'm talking about because I'm a big believer in giving people a second chance. Also in giving credit when positive changes have been made. I like the new T.O., but Cam Newton is currently behaving as a clone of the OLD T.O. the one who never could handle adversity and things not going the right way. Newton does not act like the NEW T.O., he is acting like the OLD one and that is the one I never could make myself like. With all of this being said, I do think Newton won't take anywhere near as long as T.O. to make the right adjustments. Hope that clears things up!

To be more clear Southwest I should have separated which T.O. I'm talking about because I'm a big believer in giving people a second chance. Also in giving credit when positive changes have been made. I like the new T.O., but Cam Newton is currently behaving as a clone of the OLD T.O. the one who never could handle adversity and things not going the right way. Newton does not act like the NEW T.O., he is acting like the old one and that is the one I never could make myself like. Hope that clears things up!

It does clear things up krunk. I enjoy reading your posts immensely because you are a deep thinker, you don't get bogged down in statistics, and you are incredibly fair in all of your opinions and analysis. And you stand by your positions and you don't waver from them. You stand by your convictions and core beliefs and I admire that.

You are 100% correct. Cam Newton is displaying huge immaturity. Grow up, display confidence, stop pouting on the sidelines with a towel over your head, and convince your team mates that this drive will end with a touchdown. Confidence means everything in the huddle and in front of the media. Yeah, the old TO analogy is a good one. Suck it up, be a man, face adversity head on, and believe that good things are about to unfold on this drive. Get up off the mat, adapt, adjust, and fight! Show the fan base and your team mates some hope and reason to believe that this dark cloud over the Carolina franchise will pass and your team will thrive and flourish. Tell the media and the locker room no one is playing dead here. We all have work to do. No one is pointing fingers or assigning blame incessantly. I need to improve and fix things and it all starts with me and my execution of this offense.

It does clear things up krunk. I enjoy reading your posts immensely because you are a deep thinker, you don't get bogged down in statistics, and you are incredibly fair in all of your opinions and analysis. And you stand by your positions and you don't waver from them. You stand by your convictions and core beliefs and I admire that.

You are 100% correct. Cam Newton is displaying huge immaturity. Grow up, display confidence, stop pouting on the sidelines with a towel over your head, and convince your team mates that this drive will end with a touchdown. Confidence means everything in the huddle and in front of the media. Yeah, the old TO analogy is a good one. Suck it up, be a man, face adversity head on, and believe that good things are about to unfold on this drive. Get up off the mat, adapt, adjust, and fight! Show the fan base and your team mates some hope and reason to believe that this dark cloud over the Carolina franchise will pass and your team will thrive and flourish. Tell the media and the locker room no one is playing dead here. We all have work to do. No one is pointing fingers or assigning blame incessantly. I need to improve and fix things and it all starts with me and my execution of this offense.

Thank you for your words Southwest. I always respect a lot of your thoughts and commentary as well. I believe Cam Newton has enough of a supporting cast around him to get him through this thing he is going through as long as he is willing to accept that what he is being told is the truth. I don't believe T.O. had the family support and mentors such as Warren Moon in his corner upon entry into the league like Cam does. If he did, it's possible we would have seen T.O. wise up earlier in his career.

If my memory serves me correctly, people like Deion Sanders and others came along and started speaking with T.O. later on in his career after he was well established in a pattern of selfish behavior that was not beneficial to himself or his team mates. Bad habits are hard to break once you become ingrained in them! Luckily it appears Cam has people telling him about himself early so that type of stuff can be corrected. Football is a very short lived sport, and you don't want silly crap like acting like a "petulant child"( as Brian Billick called him ) in front of reporters after every loss derail your whole career. Tides can turn on you very quickly in this sport.

Lol the same criticism you guys are throwing at Cam is the same criticisms that can be said for Jay Cutler who in my opinion is worst. I read an article on Espn about Warren Moon defending Cam and everything he said I agree with. The media and everybody else is making too much of a big stink out of this..the people that should be under criticism 24/7 instead of Cam should be the head coach, Gm and OC who all is a BIG reason Cam is not having a productive year as last year. A big reason young QBs struggle is a lack of consistency eg. Alex Smith, Jason Campbell..there was absolutely no reason for them to go away from a pro-style offense after Cam had so much success with it and benefited evrybody on that offense and there was no reason for the biggest acquisition in the season was MIKE TOLBERT..GET THE KID SOME FREAKING WEAPONS!

Im not a Panthers fan at all but this subject is really starting to irritate me and I hope the owner cleans house.

Lol the same criticism you guys are throwing at Cam is the same criticisms that can be said for Jay Cutler who in my opinion is worst. I read an article on Espn about Warren Moon defending Cam and everything he said I agree with. The media and everybody else is making too much of a big stink out of this..the people that should be under criticism 24/7 instead of Cam should be the head coach, Gm and OC who all is a BIG reason Cam is not having a productive year as last year. A big reason young QBs struggle is a lack of consistency eg. Alex Smith, Jason Campbell..there was absolutely no reason for them to go away from a pro-style offense after Cam had so much success with it and benefited evrybody on that offense and there was no reason for the biggest acquisition in the season was MIKE TOLBERT..GET THE KID SOME FREAKING WEAPONS!

Im not a Panthers fan at all but this subject is really starting to irritate me and I hope the owner cleans house.

Some of us slammed Cutler and Romo just as hard......Cutler is immature...(Newton) and Romo inconsistent/brilliant (Vick) :)

Some of us slammed Cutler and Romo just as hard......Cutler is immature...(Newton) and Romo inconsistent/brilliant (Vick)

The guy wears his heart on his sleeves..i wouldnt call that immature..show me a video where he has pushed his lineman or yell at his teammates..we forget Peyton was the same way too e.g. the loss to the steelers in the playoffs where he threw his oline under the bus, the chiefs game where he got in reggie's face on the sideline and reggie had to shove him back, the outburst he had against jeff until tarik stepped and told to go sit his butt down, the sb loss against the saints where he walked off the field with his head doen and did not shake anyone's hand..i dont remember anyone calling peyton immature..some people just hate losing so much that they do not know how to mask their emotions..

The guy wears his heart on his sleeves..i wouldnt call that immature..show me a video where he has pushed his lineman or yell at his teammates..we forget Peyton was the same way too e.g. the loss to the steelers in the playoffs where he threw his oline under the bus, the chiefs game where he got in reggie's face on the sideline and reggie had to shove him back, the outburst he had against jeff until tarik stepped and told to go sit his butt down, the sb loss against the saints where he walked off the field with his head doen and did not shake anyone's hand..i dont remember anyone calling peyton immature..some people just hate losing so much that they do not know how to mask their emotions..

I am not arguing the definition of immature with you Brooklyn Colt. "Childish/babyish" is the Webster version and we can apply it to whomever with any opinion we wish in our own minds. My opinion is that Cutler and Newton are immature and Vick and Romo can at times be brilliant and then inconsistent. (Nature of the analyst beasts as well as week to week football)

You are entitled to your opinion and I respect it, yet whether the QB's name Is Brees, Manning, Vick, Romo, Cutler, Tebow, Sanchez....or even the aged yet immature Joe Namath, we win as a team and lose as a team. I do not need a 'suggestion box' to find answers, and I do not need a 'sweet-heart of a reporter' to help manage my sophomore jinx. (Sophomore in High School or NFL ???) :) BTW...I see ZERO need to pull Peyton Manning into this equation.