Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Parents Say Football Concussion Caused Sons Suicide 2 Days Later

bayone

THERE is much more to article than whats just copied here

Austin's final play left him with a concussion. Two days later, with the rest of the family downstairs in the house, he went up to his room and hanged himself.

To the grieving parents, there is no doubt that one caused the other. Shortly after his death, Gil and Michelle Trenum made the difficult decision to donate Austin's brain for research. Seated around their dining table, they told their son's story, hoping his death can leave a legacy for others of lessons learned —

that concussions still aren't taken as seriously as they should be; that athletes, parents, coaches, trainers and even emergency room workers are often ill-informed as to how to treat them; that more of a culture change is needed in a sport in which blows to the head are considered badges of honor.

Concussion awareness in sports is on the rise. The NFL has done an about-face in recent seasons, instituting return-to-play rules and other strict guidelines after years of being accused of not taking the issue seriously. Hearings have been held on Capitol Hill.

Only four months before Austin's death, the football world was stunned by the suicide of University of Pennsylvania co-captain Owen Thomas, who was found to have a brain disease that could have been caused by repeated head blows to the head.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Next Day, SATURDAY

... But he also missed a routine turn while driving a car near the home. He couldn't remember something obvious while talking to his friend while fishing.

He woke up early Sunday and went downstairs to play video games, something totally out of character for him. He had also mentioned that he had been getting a "football headache" after every game, something he hadn't told his parents before. They did know that Austin, who played linebacker and fullback, had at least one concussion the previous season, and probably two others that fit symptoms he had described.

For seemingly no reason at all, Austin went upstairs Sunday afternoon and never returned. Afterward, it wasn't hard to connect the dots. He had no history of depression. Nor does his family. He was well liked at school. He was in the top 6 percent of his class and a shoo-in for James Madison University. He was making plans. All the soul-searching for answers led to only one.

"It was literally out of the blue," Michelle Trenum said. "There was nothing in his life, in his character, in his emotions that would have ever — we know it was a concussion."

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/sport/story/2011-08-30/parents-seek-answers-for-sons-concussion-suicide?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl5%7Csec1_lnk3%7C91009#ixzz1WbQx3THP

My link

It's a shame he didn't tell someone he was getting "football headaches" after playing, which is a warning flag that he shouldn't have been playing.

The brain is such a complicated piece of a miracle it's not something that can be fixed by a human being. As far as I know the only way to fix problems with it is to let it fix itself.

Not something to be taken lightly.

I don't know how long football will last with the present contact because as I've posted many times before they have definitely linked Lou Gehrigs disease to concussions. Lou Gehrig was beaned 6 times btw which is a little unknown fact.

they probably should at least eliminate it from kids. They can play flag football and be just fine.

Concussions in peewee football is a rarity. They don't hit hard enough and the game isn't that violent at that age. My son plays and we've talked about concussions in the league he's in and we've only had one case in the last ten years. Now jr high and high school its very common. So what age are you suggesting to play flag football? I just don't see how you could introduce it with open arms to any league. For one, your enrollment would drop tremendously. I say that because our local boys and girls club have a flag football league and the number of kids is low. They want to play with the equipment and play the real game. Its a joke among our kids when one makes a bad play to send him over to the flag football field. I agree that the NFL with their vast bank account needs to do everything in their power to remedy concussions to preserve the well being of the sport we all cherish so dearly. Nobody wants to see a youth or professional athlete get a head or neck injury. Its my worst nightmare is to see my son or any other kid be injured and lay on the ground like Collie or Boldwin did last year. As coaches and fathers all we can do now is teach proper tackling to these young kids until the NFL comes up with a good solution. Btw if your kid plays football and you receive loaner equipment please inspect it carefully!!! Most leagues don't do this. If you can afford it, go out and buy your kid a good helmet. Its a cheap investment and peace of mind knowing he's in good care.

I'm sure little kids don't hit as hard tho I'm not sure if there is any relativity here.

Way back when, I played flag football in Junior High. There was nothing below that and of course HS was full pads.

With respect to little kids I've seen shows about it, like little league baseball, where there is undue pressure put on them to win,just like the pros, even by parents. What happened to just being a kid?

In the past concussions were shooken off. Now that they linked it to Lou gehrigs disease you have to wonder is it worth it. It's a horrible slow death..every part of your body deteriorates except the brain, so you're aware right up to the time of death.

Italy had suspected something like this for ahwile with soccer balls hitting the head at 60MPH. Once the medical evidence was reached here in the USA, quite recently, it was immediately sent over to Italy.

I don't know how long football will last with the present contact because as I've posted many times before they have definitely linked Lou Gehrigs disease to concussions. Lou Gehrig was beaned 6 times btw which is a little unknown fact.

they probably should at least eliminate it from kids. They can play flag football and be just fine.

I do not think what we know football to be now will last many more generations. As more and more research comes out linking concussions with diseases like dementia and Lou Gehrigs disease the more and more parents will not allow their kids to play the sport.

My wife and I have talked about having kids and I have thought about will I want my son playing football when he is ready if it is like it is today.

The biggest thing that needs to change is just the whole culture that surrounds concussions. So many people say oh it was just a minor concussions. There is nothing minor about a concussion. It is not like a slight strain of a hammy or knee muscle. This is your brain we are talking about. To many people still have this tough attitude when it comes to concussions and that has to change dramatically.

I do not think what we know football to be now will last many more generations. As more and more research comes out linking concussions with diseases like dementia and Lou Gehrigs disease the more and more parents will not allow their kids to play the sport.

My wife and I have talked about having kids and I have thought about will I want my son playing football when he is ready if it is like it is today.

The biggest thing that needs to change is just the whole culture that surrounds concussions. So many people say oh it was just a minor concussions. There is nothing minor about a concussion. It is not like a slight strain of a hammy or knee muscle. This is your brain we are talking about. To many people still have this tough attitude when it comes to concussions and that has to change dramatically.

I think you're right...unless they wear armor.

The concussion causes fluid to leak into the spine thus causing dementia and Lou Gehrigs disease.