Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shannon Sharpe on Aaron Rodgers

NewColtsFan

Sharpe apparently ripped Rodgers in a brutal way prior to the Packers Sunday night win over Houston.

And it seems like such nonsense. The rip was personal and there's got to be more to this story. Did Rodgers run over Sharpe's dog? This doens't add up.

Fortunately, Rodgers took the high-road with his response.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000081786/article/aaron-rodgers-shannon-sharpes-criticism-stupid

Ironic to me, since prior to the Sunday's game, Rodgers had already said he was responsible for much of the Packers problems this year. I haven't read him blaming anyone else.

Don't know what in the world Sharpe was/is thinking. I think both Sharpe brothers have no shortage of huge ego....

I really don't like Shannon Sharpe. I don't see the need for his comments and I think it's ridiculous to question Rodgers' leadership. I'm not a big Rodgers fan, but I'm almost 100% sure that if you asked Sharpe last year about Rodgers' leadership, he would say it's excellent. Shannon Sharpe and Michael Irvin are two analysts that really annoy me.

The only thing that ever really rubbed me the wrong way about Rodgers was how he backed down from that bet he made with Boyz II Men. I don't see any reason to question his skills or leadership whatsoever.

Oh he backed down from that? lmao Maybe he used the Thursday night game as an excuse.

I love Rodgers. I think he can be arrogant but he lives up to it a lot too. Dude can play some football. He hates to lose though like anyone but sometimes I feel every once in a while the Pack need to come down to Earth. Like against the Colts.;)

Oh he backed down from that? lmao Maybe he used the Thursday night game as an excuse.

I love Rodgers. I think he can be arrogant but he lives up to it a lot too. Dude can play some football. He hates to lose though like anyone but sometimes I feel every once in a while the Pack need to come down to Earth. Like against the Colts. ;)

I personally hate Rodgers and his superbowl belt touchdown dance. You wouldn't ever see Peyton do something like that and he's pretty good himself.

I personally hate Rodgers and his superbowl belt touchdown dance. You wouldn't ever see Peyton do something like that and he's pretty good himself.

Peyton doesn't have the same swag. Peyton thinks it's an incredible accomplishment to scramble for 27 yards. Look at that smug smile at 0:35

Just so no one gets upset... :sarcasm:

"They can't run the football, so that puts a lot of pressure on Aaron Rodgers and that poor offensive line. Aaron Rodgers doesn't always do a great job of getting rid of the football on rhythm. So now he's taking some unnecessary sacks. But what I see is a lot of finger-pointing by Aaron Rodgers. I don't really know Aaron Rodgers, haven't been around him. But he strikes me as a guy that, it's always someone else's fault other than his own. I'm not so sure, I'm not so sure, that deep down inside, how well his receiving corps really likes Aaron Rodgers.

"I tell you what else, just because you're a great quarterback and an MVP quarterback that doesn't make you a great person. There is a difference between the two."

Shannon Sharpe very 1st sentence is accurate, but the text in red is completely unfounded and without merit. How can Sharpe be so definitive in his analysis of a man that he has never even met? Your job as an NFL analyst is to scrutinize a player's performance on the field not his personality traits. Does the QB get 1st downs? Does the QB convert 3rd downs? Does the QB rally and motivate his troops to overcome a deep hole on the scoreboard? Personality only comes into play for an athlete if they refuse to work hard, improve, or hone their craft period. See Raiders QB Jamarcus Russell. Beyond that, it is irrelevant.

It is extremely dangerous to attribute character traits, especially negative ones, to a man you have never met personally or talked to IMO. Sharpe as a TE was brash and cocky. He had faith and confidence in his abilities to make positive things happen on a football field at crucial moments in games. I wouldn't say that Sharpe was a colossal jerk directly do to this confidence though. This fire, passion, and drive made Sharpe a HOF TE and 3 time SB Champion himself. Why isn't Aaron Rodgers entitled to the same professional NFL courtesy?

Aaron Rodgers gave a perfect reply to the controversial statement: ""In this country, I think freedom of speech is a very important part of our culture. That being said, anybody can have an opinion about anything regardless of how stupid it might be, or uninformed." Translation: I could care less what anyone else thinks of me outside the Packers locker room. Mr. Sharpe can go bleep himself. Thank you. Have a wonderful day. Beautifully stated and exactly right. The only people you show humility/weakness to is your fan base, your ownership, and your team mates. Beyond that nothing else matters IMO.

I really don't like Shannon Sharpe. I don't see the need for his comments and I think it's ridiculous to question Rodgers' leadership. I'm not a big Rodgers fan, but I'm almost 100% sure that if you asked Sharpe last year about Rodgers' leadership, he would say it's excellent. Shannon Sharpe and Michael Irvin are two analysts that really annoy me.

I would replace Shannon Sharpe's name with Deion Sanders personally. Both Deion and Michael Irvin have rubbed me the wrong way for decades, but then I remember that same supreme confidence won them several Championships and 1 World Series Championship with the Atlanta Braves. That innate killer Championship gene requires supreme confidence in your abilities to crush and demolish any and all forms of competition, even Shannon Sharpe. Poverty is also a strong motivator or a reason rather to transcend high above it. Nowhere to go but straight up or die in the "project" streets of drugs, crime, and prostitution.

I would replace Shannon Sharpe's name with Deion Sanders personally. Both Deion and Michael Irvin have rubbed me the wrong way for decades, but then I remember that same supreme confidence won them several Championships and 1 World Series Championship with the Atlanta Braves. That innate killer Championship gene requires supreme confidence in your abilities to crush and demolish any and all forms of competition, even Shannon Sharpe. Poverty is also a strong motivator or a reason rather to transcend high above it. Nowhere to go but straight up or die in the "project" streets of drugs, crime, and prostitution.

Yeah. I respect what they did on the field and how much hard work they put in to do great things in football. But their analysis is something that I don't care for...half the time, I can't even understand what they are saying.

Sharpe has always been obnoxious and loud-mouthed. This is another example of how much he likes to stick is foot in his mouth. Personally I don't like him on tv and never really like him much as a player. Then again I have never really like the Diva types of players.

Poor Shannon. No one likes him, and at times he gets so excited you can hardly understand him...

ShannonSharpe.jpg

I really don't like Shannon Sharpe.

I dont care for him as a commentator myself - at the same time I don't care for Rodgers as a player - I see way too much cockiness, I dont know him personally so cant say for sure, but maybe that carries over to his daily life.

People getting upset over Rodgers little "discount double check" dance must subscribe to Rodger Goddell's "No-Fun-League" policies. You guys sound like my grand dad. "In my day, it was 'hip' to hand the ref the football after you score a touchdown! These kids today, I tell ya.....Act like you've been there before, you whipper snappers!"

Relax. The TD celebration is a part of football. It may come off as arrogant to some, but to anyone who's played football, you know there's no greater feeling than getting to celebrate in the face of an opponent who has been flapping their gums non-stop the entire game. It comes with the territory

People getting upset over Rodgers little "discount double check" dance must subscribe to Rodger Goddell's "No-Fun-League" policies. You guys sound like my grand dad. "In my day, it was 'hip' to hand the ref the football after you score a touchdown! These kids today, I tell ya.....Act like you've been there before, you whipper snappers!"

Relax. The TD celebration is a part of football. It may come off as arrogant to some, but to anyone who's played football, you know there's no greater feeling than getting to celebrate in the face of an opponent who has been flapping their gums non-stop the entire game. It comes with the territory

That's probably because we are people with class and integrity and don't necessarily get our kicks by being immature and unsportsmanlike. And I can tell you the NFL was fun before all of the dancing and celebrating and junk. It was just about football.

And to many of us who have played football the great feeling was to WIN THE GAME. Celebrating a single play only to go on and lose the game is pretty stupid in my opinion.

That's probably because we are people with class and integrity and don't necessarily get our kicks by being immature and unsportsmanlike. And I can tell you the NFL was fun before all of the dancing and celebrating and junk. It was just about football.

And to many of us who have played football the great feeling was to WIN THE GAME. Celebrating a single play only to go on and lose the game is pretty stupid in my opinion.

I think you're talking about excessive celebrating, which is showboating. I don't think there's a place for that in football.... Spiking the ball, the Lambeau leap, high fives and other celebrations (and yes, that includes "discount double check") is all harmless fun & football tradition. If you're somehow suggesting that I'm classless because I don't have a problem with minor celebrations and such, that's your prerogative to do so. It's also my prerogative to suggest that you might be a stick in the mud, debby downer who takes them-self a bit too seriously

We'll agree to disagree

Sharpe apparently ripped Rodgers in a brutal way prior to the Packers Sunday night win over Houston.

And it seems like such nonsense. The rip was personal and there's got to be more to this story. Did Rodgers run over Sharpe's dog? This doens't add up.

Fortunately, Rodgers took the high-road with his response.

http://www.nfl.com/n...riticism-stupid

Ironic to me, since prior to the Sunday's game, Rodgers had already said he was responsible for much of the Packers problems this year. I haven't read him blaming anyone else.

Don't know what in the world Sharpe was/is thinking. I think both Sharpe brothers have no shortage of huge ego....

I dont think anything said on the Sunday shows or ESPN or on the NFL Net is deeply thought out.

they dont hire great thinkers....

...they want knee-jerk comments and that's what they get

Rodgers jammed 6 TDs up Houston''s butt so the Texas are the ones who should take issue with S. Sharpe...

I think you're talking about excessive celebrating, which is showboating. I don't think there's a place for that in football.... Spiking the ball, the Lambeau leap, high fives and other celebrations (and yes, that includes "discount double check") is all harmless fun & football tradition. If you're somehow suggesting that I'm classless because I don't have a problem with minor celebrations and such, that's your prerogative to do so. It's also my prerogative to suggest that you might be a stick in the mud, debby downer who takes them-self a bit too seriously

We'll agree to disagree

Well, you did say something about getting to celebrate in the face of your opponent - not just celebrate with your team mates. I don't mind a spike or something like that, but to have a defined "move" that you do is a little self absorbed in my opinion. That's all. And I will still say many of these things you are calling football tradition weren't tradition when I started watching and playing.

And I didn't say you were classless.

Well, you did say something about getting to celebrate in the face of your opponent - not just celebrate with your team mates. I don't mind a spike or something like that, but to have a defined "move" that you do is a little self absorbed in my opinion. That's all. And I will still say many of these things you are calling football tradition weren't tradition when I started watching and playing.

And I didn't say you were classless.

All I meant by "celebrating in your opponents face" was them having to watch you celebrate after scoring a TD. Not literally taunting them to their face or anything like that. Rodgers does that double check gesture to the crowd, so it's not like he's taunting his opponents. I don't have a problem with it because if you heard the story behind it, it's kind of cool. He started doing that before they even won the superbowl. It's supposed to be the championship belt gesture that wrestlers do when they are challenging for a title. It was kind of a "visualization of success" sort of thing where he was claiming it into existence. After they won the superbowl, he went out and bought the whole team title belts, as opposed to the normal championship rings a team gets. It's something he has going between him and his teammates, so I don't see the problem with it.

And sorry if I offended you but it seemed like you were saying anyone who celebrates doesn't have class. My mistake if that's not what you were saying

Peyton doesn't have the same swag. Peyton thinks it's an incredible accomplishment to scramble for 27 yards. Look at that smug smile at 0:35

What pathetic analysis by the CBS crew on that clip. Slow as he may be, Peyton was never going to get caught on that play. He went down so that the Colts could end the game with a kneel down instead of giving the Raiders the ball back.

I always remember what all the NFL Greats say like HOF 49ers WR Jerry Rice "Act like you have been there in the endzone before and you will be there again." My stepmother always says "Greatness needs no self promotion. Everyone else knows it when they see it. Forget this showboating nonsense. It's ridiculous."

What pathetic analysis by the CBS crew on that clip. Slow as he may be, Peyton was never going to get caught on that play. He went down so that the Colts could end the game with a kneel down instead of giving the Raiders the ball back.

Yeah, I remember thinking that when actually watching the game. lol

Yeah, even I have to admit Roger's smugness irritates me sometimes. That's why so many LB's, DE's, and safeties smash Aaron's discount double check belt after a sack or a scoop and score play. Do I look happy Bob Knight? No Bob, I don't...

http://youtu.be/QllvThUkd84

Yep, even the offensive opponents get into it like Don Brown. I can only imagine what Bob Knight thinks of smugness. It can't be good.

hahahahahaha HA . Where did you find this gem? That's great.

This came from the Google image search. It also pops up on another site I enjoy a quite a bit too... It's a pretty well known site that allows people to post news articles with their own descriptions, and their football threads can be pretty epic. I'm not sure about posting links to other sites on here. Not that it's a bad one, but a little more adult oriented.

This came from the Google image search. It also pops up on another site I enjoy a quite a bit too... It's a pretty well known site that allows people to post news articles with their own descriptions, and their football threads can be pretty epic. I'm not sure about posting links to other sites on here. Not that it's a bad one, but a little more adult oriented.

It's classic, it sums up my opinion on Sharp's commentary perfectly, his commentary is hilarious because at some point the thought comes through your head, " who thought this would be a good job for him???"

Yep. Everyone on the boards here was saying that and it's true, even though the analyst said he did it because he was going to get tackled. At least the commentator was right in saying it was smart football....though that's usually a given when it comes to Peyton

Yep, even the offensive opponents get into it like Don Brown. I can only imagine what Bob Knight thinks of smugness. It can't be good.

Ah Bob Knight, I love the guy. He is never at a loss for words, colorful metaphors, or an honest assessment of the situation. haha You always know where you stand with Bob. Either the penthouse or the doghouse...

http://youtu.be/5ytyBGkzAxM