Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Have The Chargers Became Our New Biggest Rival?

horsehead213

Not so much a rivalry so much as it is the Chargers owning us. I do predict, however, that with Ron Riviera gone that Manning will have more success against the Chargers, coincidentally (obviously not the only reason) like the way Manning started having success against the Patriots once Crennel left (who still made life miserable for Manning despite the Colts winning each of those 3 games after he became a HC)

I remember in that 2008 OT play-off game, Riviera had Manning totally flustered and was causing havoc by exploiting Manning's tendency to use up the play-clock by shifting alignments after Manning already audibled and locking him into a play. I'm glad Riviera's gone. Argh, that was a really frustrating game to watch - Colts offense just couldn't put the Chargers away despite multiple posessions because of their dayum PUNTER!!!!!!!

On a side note I like Rivers - really feel his bad rep was undeserved and got blown out of proportion but I still HATE Vincent Jackson, LDT, Merroidman, Norv Turner (mainly for semi-trash talking Dungy last year and mentioning the 6-picks game) and that dayum PUNTER!

Guest BlueShoe

I'm not sure what you mean. The Ravens have beaten us one time in a game that mattered. One game does not a rivalry make...nor is it a trend or any example of 'owning' or 'having our number'.

lol

If that's the case then what did you exactly mean by this post:

I dont agree with the whole 'its not a rivalry until both teams win something' sentiment. Its a rivalry because of what the game means to both teams, and they play eachother enough to make it a (semi)annual event. The Colts and Patriots considered each other main rivals before the Colts finally won in 2006...and from our perspective you were the only team that we as fans were concerned about. If anything...I think theres less of a rivalry between New England and Indianapolis now, and its more a mutual respect thing. People say the rivalry was based around us knocking eachother out of the playoffs on the way to Superbowl glory. While thats true...we havent played eachother in the playoffs since 2006. That isnt 'just a few years ago' anymore...its pretty far back in the rearview mirror.

Colts fans may still hate the Patriots because of what happened 7 and 8 years ago...but the Jets are our main rival...not the Colts. And similarly, the Chargers should be more of your rival now than the Patriots. They are the ones who have knocked you out of the playoffs more recently. It doesnt matter whether or not they went on to win it all...they were still the ones who prevented you from doing it...and theyve done it the same number of times that we have....just more recently.

You can't have it both ways dude. I know that being a Pats fan makes you feel entitled to something but you're not.

lol

If that's the case then what did you exactly mean by this post:

You can't have it both ways dude. I know that being a Pats fan makes you feel entitled to something but you're not.

What the heck are you even talking about? From reading my post, you got the feeling that I was entitled? Dude, your schtick isnt funny anymore, and quite frankly, from what Ive seen of you yesterday and today, you dont even make sense.

My whole post was based around the point that I dont think a rivalry can only form when each team eventually wins. Colts fans considered the Pats their rival before they won it in '06, didnt they? Red Sox fans considered the Yankees their rival before they won it in '04, didnt they? I said that most people believe the rivalry was based around the fact that we each knocked eachother out on our way to Championships. My belief is that it only intensified it, but the rivalry was there before you finally won one.

I dont agree with the whole 'its not a rivalry until both teams win something' sentiment. Its a rivalry because of what the game means to both teams, and they play eachother enough to make it a (semi)annual event. The Colts and Patriots considered each other main rivals before the Colts finally won in 2006...and from our perspective you were the only team that we as fans were concerned about. If anything...I think theres less of a rivalry between New England and Indianapolis now, and its more a mutual respect thing. People say the rivalry was based around us knocking eachother out of the playoffs on the way to Superbowl glory. While thats true...we havent played eachother in the playoffs since 2006. That isnt 'just a few years ago' anymore...its pretty far back in the rearview mirror.

Colts fans may still hate the Patriots because of what happened 7 and 8 years ago...but the Jets are our main rival...not the Colts. And similarly, the Chargers should be more of your rival now than the Patriots. They are the ones who have knocked you out of the playoffs more recently. It doesnt matter whether or not they went on to win it all...they were still the ones who prevented you from doing it...and theyve done it the same number of times that we have....just more recently.

QUOTE by Tedy Bruschi regarding the Pats/Colts:

" you can't have a one-sided rivalry...we didn't really consider them a rival until they started winning some games..."

They've seemed to have our number, however virtually all of the games have been exiting and competitive, including two thrilling last second victories by the Colts. At one point I'm sure the Chargers thought we had THEIR number, but the volume of meetings falls short of a rivalry.

The "thorn" is all about the two playoffs losses. While they are painful, I'm perpetually dreaming of revenge for our - what is - FIVE playoff losses to the Steelers without a win. Even more painful, and we hardly ever play them.

QUOTE by Tedy Bruschi regarding the Pats/Colts:

" you can't have a one-sided rivalry...we didn't really consider them a rival until they started winning some games..."

lol Brushi had proved he's an * since working with ESPN!! That's nonsense. Guarantee the HOOD wouldn't say that!

topic explain's itself.....these guys seem to always have our number.....even tho we had 13 starters out on injurys last year or somthing like that when we played them last year.

No.......it will always be the Patriots. Until San Diego actually wins a super bowl, IMO, they will never take the place of the patriots as our biggest rival. Even though they seem to beat us every time we play, the bigger issue is the championships and they simply have none.