Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Have The Chargers Became Our New Biggest Rival?

horsehead213

Part of me wants to say that they've become a nemesis. At the same time, what have the Chargers won? Yes, they've knocked us out of the playoffs twice, but we've been to two Super Bowls in the last 5 years, winning one. What have the Chargers won? It's not the same as the Pats, who knocked us out twice on their way to winning Lombardi trophies.

A major thorn in our side yes! But not a rival. The Pats rival will die down once either Brady or Manning decides to hang it up. Just won't be the same, so the hype will disappear.

hehe true enough.

Now if they were in the same division it may not have died. Baltimore Colts and Pats even thru losing seasons were pretty major rivals..not sure why but the were:)

As to the Chargers I wouldn't say a rival..perhaps a little pay back from the Colts may be in order:)

No, the Patriots are always our biggest rival. If you posted this 3 years, you would have had a better case, but as of right now, no it's the Patriots. Manning vs Brady... there's nothing better to watch :)

On a side note, Bob Sanders hasn't been injured yet, at least to my knowledge....Just watch him stay healthy all year and turn that defense into a bigger beast. Weren't they ranked #1 in offense and defense last year, but poor special teams lost them too many games? I want him to do well, but not at the expense of the Colts in the playoffs...

On a side note, Bob Sanders hasn't been injured yet, at least to my knowledge....Just watch him stay healthy all year and turn that defense into a bigger beast. Weren't they ranked #1 in offense and defense last year, but poor special teams lost them too many games? I want him to do well, but not at the expense of the Colts in the playoffs...

contract year for Bob, the last time he had one of those we got 15 games out of him and he won the league's Defensive MVP that year.

they always beat us....

not always...we got them in 2008 regular season, but that playoff game still makes me sick. I hated that we went 12-4 and had to play at their place b/c they won the AFC West at 8-8. That and we couldn't get that 3rd and 2 b/c what's his name (#47, can't remember who...dude totally got blown off the ball, was so late the defender was by him before he was out of his stance!) whiffed his block and Peyton got sacked. UGH

hehe true enough.

Now if they were in the same division it may not have died. Baltimore Colts and Pats even thru losing seasons were pretty major rivals..not sure why but the were:)

lol...yep, they were definitely rivals then too...but back then it was more like, "hey, keep your stinkin' hands off my 1st overall draft pick!"

The Chargers flat out own us, to be honest. Personally, a rivalry cannot be one-sided, there has to be a close to 60-40 in W-L one way or the other to call it a rivalry, IMO. The Pats-Colts became a rivalry once Manning started beating the Pats in 2005 (once) and 2006 (twice). Till then, the Pats owned Manning and the Colts.

The Chargers right now are what the Pats were as of 2004. Only time will tell if Manning and the Colts have a turnaround with the Chargers like we did with the Pats. It is almost like a 2-to-1 ratio with the Chargers, they win 2 out of every 3 games, it seems like.

There are a few fundamental things the Chargers do that pose us problems.

1. Screen passes and misdirection that take advantage of overpursuit by our speedy defense
  2. Taller WRs that thrive in a jump ball offense able to jump over our smaller CBs (no co-incidence that Brees thrived in that kind of offense in San Diego and now in New Orleans, those back shoulder throws to your basketball TEs like Antonio Gates and now Jimmy Graham, or VJax/Colston and ask them to go up and get it :))
  3. Their D-line and LBs being able to rush the passer and play the run on the way since our O-line was never strong and athletic enough to win the battle of the trenches, thus never forcing the Chargers to respect the run.

I think the first one and third one, if we can take care of, we can handle the continued advantage they have on the second one.

The Chargers have our number, they are a thorn in our side. But they are not our biggest rival. That distinction still belongs to New England although the Pats may be starting to shift their rivalry energy more towards the Jets now. The Chargers are more like a nemesis, which is a team that routinely beats up on the other. Colts need to win a few more, particularly the playoff matchups for Colts/Chargers to be considered a real rivalry in my opinion. Chargers are the Colts' nemesis similar to how the Colts are the Ravens' nemesis.

not always...we got them in 2008 regular season, but that playoff game still makes me sick. I hated that we went 12-4 and had to play at their place b/c they won the AFC West at 8-8. That and we couldn't get that 3rd and 2 b/c what's his name (#47, can't remember who...dude totally got blown off the ball, was so late the defender was by him before he was out of his stance!) whiffed his block and Peyton got sacked. UGH

True but the Chargers have always beat the Manning-era Colts when it really matters.

Part of me wants to say that they've become a nemesis. At the same time, what have the Chargers won? Yes, they've knocked us out of the playoffs twice, but we've been to two Super Bowls in the last 5 years, winning one. What have the Chargers won? It's not the same as the Pats, who knocked us out twice on their way to winning Lombardi trophies.

Let's not forget, we also knocked the Patriots out on the way to our own, and Manning and crew have turned the tide of the rivalry around rather nicely. 5-2 in the last seven, if I'm not mistaken. The ebb and flow, standing in the way of the other: that's what makes it so great. Not to mention the fact that the QB's involved will both be considered top 5 all-time when it's all said and done.

hehe true enough.

As to the Chargers I wouldn't say a rival..perhaps a little pay back from the Colts may be in order:)

Agreed. It's usually a close game, but the ball rarely bounces our way. 2 yards away from getting them in 08 (and what I considered favorable match ups the remainder of the way - yes, we are 5-1 against the Steelers with Manning at the helm), a missed 29 yard field goal in the 07 regular season, a bad no-call when Weddle mauled Wayne, which even prompted an apology from the referee later in the week...

It is due. At least you guys match up well with them. :applause:

Gijon Robinson. He didn't just whiff his block, he went out for a pattern when Peyton called for him to stay and pick up the blitz. Manning had less than 1 second and had to just ground the ball.

I think outside of the division and aside of the patriots I consider them our next biggest rival. I went to the game last were when we got destroyed and any team that gives us good fights and or beat us puts a bitter taste in my mouth. Its no where close to the Patriots because Id rather go 11-5 and beat them than to go 15-1 and lose to them. The chargers arent there yet, but Id say they are above any other team outside the division.

the chargers are your kryptonite, possibly keeping indy from having won at least one extra lombardi, but then again, ya never know what would have happened afterwards, but sd's D certainly has owned disrupted the heck outta Peyton

As P-money said, I wouldn't say they are a rival. We do have trouble against them (it'll be interesting to see how it goes now that they don't have Rivera anymore), but I wouldn't consider them a rival yet.

Exactly, Rivera was the thorn in Peytons side. It'll be interesting to see how Peyton performs against their defense the next time we meet with him knowing that Rivera isn't on the sidelines. I'm expecting a very good outcome.

Nah because the Chargers are the Colts nemesis there is no rivalry there. Colts/Pats still rivalry of the decade.

Edit: Perhaps for over a decade now & I expect it to continue for quite some time.

Yes I'm replying myself, lol. I would say the Jets are forming into a rilvalry as well. Very epic heated games with lots of respect, I think good old Rex Fears the Colts more than the Patriots!!!! EPIC!!!!

Guest BlueShoe

Have The Chargers Become Our New Biggest Rival?

We have to beat them before they become a rival. So far they're edging out a win just about every time it counts. We’ve only beat them once out of the past six times we have played them.

On a side note; every year since 2005, if we didn’t play the Chargers we made it to the Super Bowl. We don't play them this year in the regular season.

Loss in Regular Season

Did not play (Super Bowl Win Year)

Loss in Regular season

Loss in Playoffs

Win in Regular Season

Loss in Playoffs

Did not play (Super Bowl Loss Year)

Loss in Regular Season

As previously stated, rivalry entails that both teams actually win once in a while.

We've beat them, what, once in the last how many attempts?

We're all a part of the circle of ownage.

Colts beat Broncos

Broncos beat Patriots

Patriots beat Chargers

Chargers beat Colts

^^This. +1, moose.

I dont agree with the whole 'its not a rivalry until both teams win something' sentiment. Its a rivalry because of what the game means to both teams, and they play eachother enough to make it a (semi)annual event. The Colts and Patriots considered each other main rivals before the Colts finally won in 2006...and from our perspective you were the only team that we as fans were concerned about. If anything...I think theres less of a rivalry between New England and Indianapolis now, and its more a mutual respect thing. People say the rivalry was based around us knocking eachother out of the playoffs on the way to Superbowl glory. While thats true...we havent played eachother in the playoffs since 2006. That isnt 'just a few years ago' anymore...its pretty far back in the rearview mirror.

Colts fans may still hate the Patriots because of what happened 7 and 8 years ago...but the Jets are our main rival...not the Colts. And similarly, the Chargers should be more of your rival now than the Patriots. They are the ones who have knocked you out of the playoffs more recently. It doesnt matter whether or not they went on to win it all...they were still the ones who prevented you from doing it...and theyve done it the same number of times that we have....just more recently.

Guest BlueShoe

I dont agree with the whole 'its not a rivalry until both teams win something' sentiment. Its a rivalry because of what the game means to both teams, and they play eachother enough to make it a (semi)annual event. The Colts and Patriots considered each other main rivals before the Colts finally won in 2006...and from our perspective you were the only team that we as fans were concerned about. If anything...I think theres less of a rivalry between New England and Indianapolis now, and its more a mutual respect thing. People say the rivalry was based around us knocking eachother out of the playoffs on the way to Superbowl glory. While thats true...we havent played eachother in the playoffs since 2006. That isnt 'just a few years ago' anymore...its pretty far back in the rearview mirror.

Colts fans may still hate the Patriots because of what happened 7 and 8 years ago...but the Jets are our main rival...not the Colts. And similarly, the Chargers should be more of your rival now than the Patriots. They are the ones who have knocked you out of the playoffs more recently. It doesnt matter whether or not they went on to win it all...they were still the ones who prevented you from doing it...and theyve done it the same number of times that we have....just more recently.

So what does that make the Ravens to the Pats? :rolleyes:

A major thorn in our side yes! But not a rival. The Pats rival will die down once either Brady or Manning decides to hang it up. Just won't be the same, so the hype will disappear.

Excellent point. It will never be the same with the both of them retired. But....until then I will never miss a game bewtween the two. I like "Hoody" but I like beating him better. After watching the Lions humiliate them in the preseason game last week it is curious how good the Pats will be this year.