Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"Has Brady lost his magic?"

ColtsFTW

I know some of the :flyingelvis: :brady: fans will be on here......Brady will have the Patriots in the AFC Championship.....whether he has lost anything or not IMO. Now that the Jets are 'mouthing off again' about the 'borderline illegal offense' BB and McRoberts are running....I smell a 44-6 hammering this weekend. :) By the way....there is absolutely nothing illegal about said offense....it will work 95% of the time with teams with poor secondaries....and those who play predominantly Cover 2...

One of the ESPN guys said this AM Ryan Mallett was the best back up in the league......I honestly have not watched much of him.....curious about true Patriots fans....clue me in! Thanks!

One of the ESPN guys said this AM Ryan Mallett was the best back up in the league......I honestly have not watched much of him.....curious about true Patriots fans....clue me in! Thanks!

To me, thats ridiculous..Mallet hasnt even played a regular season game. How can he be the best? Someone like Hasselbeck or Charlie Branch are much better backups in my book.

I dont think so . . . I know it may appear that the Pats can't win close games . . . I get the same talk up here in Ne . . . there are two ways to look at it . . . are the pats middle of the road due to these losses are are the so good that they win all of there games and are so good that they are close in their losses . . . its not like they have beenb 10-6 each year with an early bounce from the playoffs . . . .

the article says they are 12-12 since 2009 . . . well in 2009 they were 3-5, and it was a bad year all around . . .

so that means since then, 2010, 2011 and this year to date, they are 9-7 in close games . . . well overall they are 14-3, 15-4, and 3-3 for a combined 32-10 . . .which means they are 23-3 in games in which one team beat the other pretty good and 9-7 in the close games . . . the way I look at it 10 of the pats losses the pats have been able to keep the game close in 7 of those 10 games . . .

Its not like they are 24-18 in the pats two years plus and you can point to many blow out losses and many close losses, for the most part they win many games and are good enough to keep it close for many other games . . .

To me, thats ridiculous..Mallet hasnt even played a regular season game. How can he be the best? Someone like Hasselbeck or Charlie Branch are much better backups in my book.

I thought so....but had not even had a chance to see him play...wanted some opinions....I think you meant Batch of Steelers?

Its possible it appears they are losing more close games..I'm not going to chase the numbers because things change anyway.

Brady is a better QB as he's gotten more experience. Clutch? He's still clutch in games but many define clutch only as comebacks.

It's protecting the lead that has changed in recent years.

With 3+ minutes left and a lead you have to either make a 1st down or stop them on defense. That isn't happening as much because teams are running the ball to run out the clock which with a 3 and out runs it down to 2 minutes. This is backfiring on teams over the last few years.

The opponents are able to score more quickly with passing rules and do end up scoring really running out the clock. We've seen this in many games including NE and recently the Seattle game.

Of course the QB can't do much on 3 straight runs. A pass is almost a must in that last drive even if if doesn't take the time off the clock. Infact it seems you're better off not trying to take time off at 3+ minutes because a 3 and out leaves too much for the opponent.

There's two ways to protect a one score lead at the end. Get the 1st down to make a comeback impossible or the defense has to hold.

neither of that happened in Seattle. The key to that game was not to let it get to that point.

It's protecting the lead that has changed in recent years. With 3+ minutes left and a lead you have to either make a 1st down or stop them on defense. That isn't happening as much because teams are running the ball to run out the clock which with a 3 and out runs it down to 2 minutes. This is backfiring on teams over the last few years.

The sequence of play-calls late in the Seattle game was infuriating.

For basically the entire game, they all but abandoned the run game because Seattle was shutting it down. Brady threw the ball, what... 54 times? Ridley was averaging right around two yards/carry.

Then they come out with the game on the line in their big package, with the only legitimate receiving threat being Gronkowski (can't remember if Hernandez was out there or not). News flash, Josh McDaniels... you gave up on the run, so why are you going back to it when: 1) You know it's not going to produce, 2) Your formation gives it away, and 3) One first down would basically seal the game?

All that said/vented, about the Seattle game specifically...

This whole situation with the Patriots being unable to hang on to late leads isn't something new. This really goes back to '09, like the article says. I noticed way back then that they seemed to have lost their killer instinct at the end of games. Some of it is bad luck, for sure, just like sometimes when you win there's a good dose of good luck involved. But there's absolutely something about the Patriots now that makes my stomach uneasy when it's close and late. The Baltimore game is a perfect example. I actually said, out loud, "The Ravens are going to get a big PI call for them, and they're going to score a TD and win." Sure enough, McCourty gets flagged, and the rest is history.

As Indy fans always point out, it takes a team effort, even if your QB is elite. The Patriots' defenses in the 2001-2007 years wasn't dominating all the time, but they made key plays at key moments. That doesn't seem to happen a lot these days. They did force the McGahee fumble in the Denver game, but that was after they softened up and let the Broncos claw back in it.

It's kind of crazy, given that there are two AFC teams with winning records and the conference is literally wide open, that 3-3 could possibly feel this bad. It's early in the year and if there's one thing I've learned it's that you're better off getting through these things in September and October instead of December and January.

We'll see what happens, I guess.

I was just thinking this after the Seahawks loss. I can't remember the last time the Pats came back for a win. The closest I could think was the first NE NYG Super Bowl, but even then Brady left an awful lot of time on the clock.

Came back for a win? This year in Buffalo.

People really do have short term memories in the NFL.

:)

The sequence of play-calls late in the Seattle game was infuriating.

For basically the entire game, they all but abandoned the run game because Seattle was shutting it down. Brady threw the ball, what... 54 times? Ridley was averaging right around two yards/carry.

Then they come out with the game on the line in their big package, with the only legitimate receiving threat being Gronkowski (can't remember if Hernandez was out there or not). News flash, Josh McDaniels... you gave up on the run, so why are you going back to it when: 1) You know it's not going to produce, 2) Your formation gives it away, and 3) One first down would basically seal the game?

All that said/vented, about the Seattle game specifically...

This whole situation with the Patriots being unable to hang on to late leads isn't something new. This really goes back to '09, like the article says. I noticed way back then that they seemed to have lost their killer instinct at the end of games. Some of it is bad luck, for sure, just like sometimes when you win there's a good dose of good luck involved. But there's absolutely something about the Patriots now that makes my stomach uneasy when it's close and late. The Baltimore game is a perfect example. I actually said, out loud, "The Ravens are going to get a big PI call for them, and they're going to score a TD and win." Sure enough, McCourty gets flagged, and the rest is history.

As Indy fans always point out, it takes a team effort, even if your QB is elite. The Patriots' defenses in the 2001-2007 years wasn't dominating all the time, but they made key plays at key moments. That doesn't seem to happen a lot these days. They did force the McGahee fumble in the Denver game, but that was after they softened up and let the Broncos claw back in it.

It's kind of crazy, given that there are two AFC teams with winning records and the conference is literally wide open, that 3-3 could possibly feel this bad. It's early in the year and if there's one thing I've learned it's that you're better off getting through these things in September and October instead of December and January.

We'll see what happens, I guess.

Yep. It's a team sport. The QB often gets too much praise in a win or too much blame in a loss......said it for years.

Hey on a positive note for NE fans, in 2001 you guys were 3-3 after 6 games and the SB was in New Orleans If you believe in this superstitious stuff. 2001 was also the last time the Pats lose their home opener.

I think the Patriots just lost their magic defense that won them their Super Bowls.

Well to be fair they did go to the SB last year with the last ranked D in the AFC.

Eli had the magic though in the 4th. Honestly, Eli has had a lot of magic going back to last season lol. Eli "Magic" Manning.

Came back for a win? This year in Buffalo.

People really do have short term memories in the NFL.

:)

There was still a full 4th quarter, and I believe they were only down 10 at half.

I'm talking a come back. 4min left in the game NEEDING a score of some kind....if I remember both the Balt and Sea games he only needed a first down, and still couldn't get them.

I'm not trying to knock the guy. He's arguably the greatest QB of all time. But he made his name on not only being a great QB but incredibly clutch as well. I just can't recall a truly clutch moment since the 16-0 SB. Maybe Pats or Yehiodi can help me out.

Well to be fair they did go to the SB last year with the last ranked D in the AFC.

Eli had the magic though in the 4th. Honestly, Eli has had a lot of magic going back to last season lol. Eli "Magic" Manning.

They did, but it was kind of that they backed their way in. Brady was horrible that game. Unfortunately the Ravens had Lee Evans and Billy Cundiff.

nope..just his Oline...Honestly Brady has only ever looked above average when consistently under pressure. Dont have to look any farther then his last 2 SBs to see that.

This. The Pats have been having problems keeping Brady clean in the pocket for the past few years.

They did, but it was kind of that they backed their way in. Brady was horrible that game. Unfortunately the Ravens had Lee Evans and Billy Cundiff.

Oh man I forgot about Lee Evans. What a heart breaker for Baltimore. And now especially more with Ray Lewis out this year. I don't even like the Ravens usually but I felt so bad for those guys after the game. Ouch.

There was still a full 4th quarter, and I believe they were only down 10 at half.

I'm talking a come back. 4min left in the game NEEDING a score of some kind....if I remember both the Balt and Sea games he only needed a first down, and still couldn't get them.

I'm not trying to knock the guy. He's arguably the greatest QB of all time. But he made his name on not only being a great QB but incredibly clutch as well. I just can't recall a truly clutch moment since the 16-0 SB. Maybe Pats or Yehiodi can help me out.

Yeah can't argue with that. They have had some issues closing lately for sure. The NFC West has been better then usual too and gave them two losses. I guess against the Cards they closed on offense to an extent but they missed the FG badly to win the game. There was also some holding call too in the end of that game I think that either took away a TD or took away an easier FG. I don't remember.

The 3 loses have been nail biters for NE.

Yep. It's a team sport. The QB often gets too much praise in a win or too much blame in a loss......said it for years.

Hey on a positive note for NE fans, in 2001 you guys were 3-3 after 6 games and the SB was in New Orleans If you believe in this superstitious stuff. 2001 was also the last time the Pats lose their home opener.

I like the way you think and I've always liked you, Jules! haha. :thmup:

I think the Patriots just lost their magic defense that won them their Super Bowls.

I know you love to hate all things Patriot-related, but two points:

1. The defense was not the reason the Patriots won SB 28 (against the Panthers). That game started slow but turned into a 32-29 track meet. There were 37 points scored in the 4th quarter, still a SB record. Delhomme threw for 323 yards with 3 TDs and no picks. Brady threw for 354, also with 3 TDs, and a red-zone pick. The D was obviously the instrumental unit in the Rams SB, but the Panthers game goes to Brady and the offense, and the Eagles game was a nice balance of good offense and good defense. This is not revisionist history. It's fact.

2. Are you willing to make the same acknowledgement that the Colts defense's historic turn-around in the 2006 playoffs also had quite a bit to do with Peyton Manning getting his ring? They held the Chiefs to 8 points and the Ravens to 6 before the AFCCG with the Patriots. And in the second half of that game, while Manning was working his magic, the Indy D pretty much shut the Pats down and gave #18 the chance to be the hero.

Or would you rather openly operate under a double-standard? ;)

This is one of my favroite subjects..

..when folks say Brady or Manning has 'magic'

No..respectfully...its just sports and so many are fighting for the same title...even if you are superior..

...many times you cant get through the playoffs....

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady lead offenses that always make the playoffs but they dont always win titles...

Like Michael Jordan said: He missed far more last second shots than he made...

I know you love to hate all things Patriot-related, but two points:

1. The defense was not the reason the Patriots won SB 28 (against the Panthers). That game started slow but turned into a 32-29 track meet. There were 37 points scored in the 4th quarter, still a SB record. Delhomme threw for 323 yards with 3 TDs and no picks. Brady threw for 354, also with 3 TDs, and a red-zone pick. The D was obviously the instrumental unit in the Rams SB, but the Panthers game goes to Brady and the offense, and the Eagles game was a nice balance of good offense and good defense. This is not revisionist history. It's fact.

2. Are you willing to make the same acknowledgement that the Colts defense's historic turn-around in the 2006 playoffs also had quite a bit to do with Peyton Manning getting his ring? They held the Chiefs to 8 points and the Ravens to 6 before the AFCCG with the Patriots. And in the second half of that game, while Manning was working his magic, the Indy D pretty much shut the Pats down and gave #18 the chance to be the hero.

Or would you rather openly operate under a double-standard? ;)

I actually agree with you on the Super Bowl verse the Panthers. I was going to add that myself actually.

And the '06 run was amazing by the defense, and they are hugely credited. The difference I see though is the Patriots would still win when Tom plays bad. The Colts would lose even when Peyton played great.

Hey you now me and my patterns over the years. Sometimes they fail and sometimes they don't. In 2001 people joked that the only time the Pats could play in the Super Bowl was if it was in New Orleans.

I don't know what happens this year but the similarities to 2001 are there on paper right now in terms of records. Of course the 2001 Pats were not coming off a SB season either so that right there makes it sketchy.

Snow Bowl part deux coming in NE this January when they are the second seed at 11-5? Rematch with an NFC West team from this season coming in New Orleans? Will the Saints have to see their SB take part with the "other gate."?

Stay tuned.

nope..just his Oline...Honestly Brady has only ever looked above average when consistently under pressure. Dont have to look any farther then his last 2 SBs to see that.

The funny thing is, the Patriots' O-line (pass blocking wise) isn't THAT bad. It's mediocre-good as opposed to the past 10 or so years where it has always been, I don't know, one of if not THE BEST IN THE LEAGUE.

The plus for the Pats is the development of a good running game. The more effectively you run, the easier it is on the QB. This somewhat offsets the now less than ABSURD level of pass protection. Still, nothing is a QB's best friend like having 5-10+ seconds to throw nearly every time they go to pass outside a designed screen.

Beat Brady's O-line and expose the Pats' secondary. That's how you beat the Patriots. Trying to cover Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, Lloyd, the kitchen sink, etc while trying to run against Wilfork and co. is just begging to get your rear handed to you. If you give Brady ALL. DAY. TO. THROW. one of them will eventually come wide open, and he'll hit the open target 99% of the time.

Bring the heat on Brady. Even if you don't get the sack, hit him a few times and he'll start ducking people who aren't even there. Hurry him up and don't give his receivers time to get open. Make him throw a TOUGH pass instead of tossing it to the wide open guy, and it goes from a sure completion to a POSSIBLE incompletion, INT, sack, or even intentional grounding.

All that being said, I think the Jets lack both the talent (Sanchez, Tebow) to expose the Pats' secondary. I also think they're too stupid to bring the heat on nearly every snap and will just sit back and attempt (in vain) to cover everyone.

Patriots 47 Jets 3

I actually agree with you on the Super Bowl verse the Panthers. I was going to add that myself actually.

And the '06 run was amazing by the defense, and they are hugely credited. The difference I see though is the Patriots would still win when Tom plays bad. The Colts would lose even when Peyton played great.

Some examples come to mind (last year's playoff game against Baltimore, the 2007 AFCCG against San Diego) where the Patriots won despite Brady playing badly, but I don't think there have been a ton of games like that. FWIW, that's true for all QBs, and all teams. Not a lot of teams win games when their QBs play like garbage.

Hey you now me and my patterns over the years. Sometimes they fail and sometimes they don't. In 2001 people joked that the only time the Pats could play in the Super Bowl was if it was in New Orleans.

I don't know what happens this year but the similarities to 2001 are there on paper right now in terms of records. Of course the 2001 Pats were not coming off a SB season either so that right there makes it sketchy.

Snow Bowl part deux coming in NE this January when they are the second seed at 11-5? Rematch with an NFC West team from this season coming in New Orleans? Will the Saints have to see their SB take part with the "other gate."?

Stay tuned.

Gosh, that was so long ago... and if I'm being honest, I was just happy that the Patriots made the playoffs at that time. Now, anything but a SB win seems empty. Very spoiled, lol...

One of the ESPN guys said this AM Ryan Mallett was the best back up in the league......

Mallett had a game or two where he saw significant play time with the Patriots and did pretty well.

Then again, people were praising Cassel when the Patriots went 11-5 with him. The fact is, Cassel has a losing career record as a starting QB in KC. He's horrible. Maybe not Grossman or Sanchez horrible, but he's right there.

I love how people just dismiss the Seahawks. They drafted smart by complimenting what they had.

Remember when Arizona was going to rule the world 3 weeks ago????

NE wil be in the post-season..Seattle will not.......dont dismiss New England..

Like Stephen A would say: So disrespectful!! :shifty:

Mallett had a game or two where he saw significant play time with the Patriots and did pretty well.

Then again, people were praising Cassel when the Patriots went 11-5 with him. The fact is, Cassel has a losing career record as a starting QB in KC. He's horrible. Maybe not Grossman or Sanchez horrible, but he's right there.

Thanks for the input Moose!!

Thanks for the input Moose!!

Not taking anything away from Mallet, just saying it's hard to measure a QB until they're more or less fed to the wolves. From what I've seen so far, he looked good in a backup role on some very, very good teams with the best pass blocking in football. We haven't seen him behind less than crazy good pass protection yet.

No he hasn't lost his magic. He's a far better now than at any point of when he won a Super Bowl.

Someone mentioned Rex Grossman. I have to give props to Chris Mortensen who on mike & MIKE this morning referred to Grossman as RG3&out when talking about the differences between the Redskins last year and this year.

Creative & funny.

This. The Pats have been having problems keeping Brady clean in the pocket for the past few years.

?

The O-line has been one of/the top pass blocking line in football for the better part of the last 10 seasons.

The line now is really not as bad as people are making it out to be...it's mediocre-good and just not INSANE. The Pats' current pass protection is similar to what they had 2001-2004ish. However, those teams had a great D to go out and dominate games. (Especially the 2003 and even moreso 2004 team)

When your QB can sidestep to buy another seven seconds to throw that isn't pocket awareness, that's a great line. Brady doesn't have that luxury any more, but it's still a pretty solid line. As the QB, Brady needs to make better decisions while under pressure because right now he does not handle it well at all. While he has a stronger arm now and is more accurate than his early years, I think he did better under pressure earlier in his career when the Pats won their SB's. And even then, he had pass protection to what he has this season.

Most QB's don't handle pressure consistently well. However, for someone in GOAT discussions more is expected out of Brady than what he shows whenever a team beats his line. For god's sake when in doubt just THROW TO WELKER! Wes is the slot receiver of the decade! If not, there's no shame in throwing it away! (Without intentional grounding)

No he hasn't lost his magic. He's a far better now than at any point of when he won a Super Bowl.

Someone mentioned Rex Grossman. I have to give props to Chris Mortensen who on mike & MIKE this morning referred to Grossman as RG3&out when talking about the differences between the Redskins last year and this year.

Creative & funny.

It's nice to see the Skins bounce back after years of gross, man.

?

The O-line has been one of/the top pass blocking line in football for the better part of the last 10 seasons.

The line now is really not as bad as people are making it out to be...it's mediocre-good and just not INSANE. The Pats' current pass protection is similar to what they had 2001-2004ish. However, those teams had a great D to go out and dominate games. (Especially the 2003 and even moreso 2004 team)

When your QB can sidestep to buy another seven seconds to throw that isn't pocket awareness, that's a great line. Brady doesn't have that luxury any more, but it's still a pretty solid line. As the QB, Brady needs to make better decisions while under pressure because right now he does not handle it well at all. While he has a stronger arm now and is more accurate than his early years, I think he did better under pressure earlier in his career when the Pats won their SB's. And even then, he had pass protection to what he has this season.

Most QB's don't handle pressure consistently well. However, for someone in GOAT discussions more is expected out of Brady than what he shows whenever a team beats his line. For god's sake just check down to Welker when he's out there or throw it away! (Without intentional grounding)

I don't entirely disagree with you, but I do think that that offensive line accounted for a lot more of the Pats' (and Brady's) success than what people typically give them credit for. I think what you said (and I highlighted above) is key. There's a huge difference between being an insanely good (possibly the best) offensive line, and just okay mediocre good. As the quality of that line has dropped, so has their ability to pull out clutch wins, which is what I think we're seeing lately.

I agree with fvantango above. When Brady's pocket isn't clean, he really struggles. He has problems throwing when he's not in his spot... more so than other elite quarterbacks, I think.

I agree with fvantango above. When Brady's pocket isn't clean, he really struggles. He has problems throwing when he's not in his spot... more so than other elite quarterbacks, I think.

That's what I'm saying.

If you give Brady all day to throw, nobody throws a better long ball. He'll hit the guy down field 99/100 times. However, when pressured, he looks mediocre to Sanchez. Ok, maybe Sanchez is a bit too harsh.

Again, for someone who many consider GOAT status, I think he should look a LOT better under duress. Many QBs look very good/great when they can set their feet and chuck it to an open man. However, it's how you respond while under pressure that sets the best QB's apart IMO. Split decision making, maintaining pocket awareness, and threading that needle in to tight coverage while you know guys are coming to kill you is no easy task.

Brady really doesn't like to throw the ball away - he tends to hold on far too long waiting for an easy pitch and catch. That's why he gets sacked as much as he does. Don't get me wrong, some times the line does in fact blow it, but a lot of those fall squarely on Brady not pulling the trigger and not making a tough throw or throwing it away.

In a way, you can't blame him since it worked in the past with those lines he had. Now Brady needs to adapt. He can't drink a 7-Eleven Slurpee while Welker schools some hapless DB and his line laughs at the D front. Brady needs to make quicker, and smarter, decisions. This isn't Arizona or Indy's line he's playing with. It's still pretty decent/good. Wth the receivers/TE's Brady has at his disposal on top of a pretty good line and NOW developing run game* there are _NO_ excuses.

*The run game wasn't there in Seattle, though. I guess the jury is still out on it? Then again, it WAS Seattle's D...

Also I do think Brady will bounce back just fine against the Jets. I predict his line will hold up and he'll be back to normal pitch and catch form.

Unless the Jets surprise me and actually opt to bring the heat/get behind the line, this game shouldn't even be close. Not to mention I have as little faith Sanchbow going down field as I do the Jets defensive game planning.

Brady (like Manning) also does, you have to admit, help make his line look good sometimes. Maybe it's a shuffle-step, or maybe it's just having good enough pocket awareness to know when to get the ball out.

If he has nothing to do with that, then the Patriots must have drafted very intelligently over the years, since his line in 2001 was completely different from recent years.

That's what I'm saying.

If you give Brady all day to throw, nobody throws a better long ball. He'll hit the guy down field 99/100 times. However, when pressured, he looks mediocre to Sanchez. Ok, maybe Sanchez is a bit too harsh.

Again, for someone who many consider GOAT status, I think he should look a LOT better under duress. Many QBs look very good/great when they can set their feet and chuck it to an open man. However, it's how you respond while under pressure that sets the best QB's apart IMO. Split decision making, maintaining pocket awareness, and threading that needle in to tight coverage while you know guys are coming to kill you is no easy task.

Brady really doesn't like to throw the ball away - he tends to hold on far too long waiting for an easy pitch and catch. That's why he gets sacked as much as he does. Don't get me wrong, some times the line does in fact blow it, but a lot of those fall squarely on Brady not pulling the trigger and not making a tough throw or throwing it away.

In a way, you can't blame him since it worked in the past with those lines he had. Now Brady needs to adapt. He can't drink a 7-Eleven Slurpee while Welker schools some hapless DB and his line laughs at the D front. Brady needs to make quicker, and smarter, decisions. This isn't Arizona or Indy's line he's playing with. It's still pretty decent/good. Wth the receivers/TE's Brady has at his disposal on top of a pretty good line and NOW developing run game* there are _NO_ excuses.

*The run game wasn't there in Seattle, though. I guess the jury is still out on it? Then again, it WAS Seattle's D...

Moose of Woe,

Tom Brady is not a scrambler. He is a pocket passer primarily who slides and shuffles his feet. What QB responds well too pressure or broken pockets except maybe Big Ben or Michael Vick? I don't think Brady holds the ball too long. He is simply waiting for Welker, Gronk, or another weapon to break free of coverage. In addition, to Brady's credit when he is sacked, he doesn't fumble, give up valuable touchdowns or field position. I respect that personally. Seattle completely terminated the ground game. Brady was forced to throw the ball and I don't think his decision making is suspect or flawed at all.