Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chandler Harnish Waived

dw49

http://www.1070thefa...aspx?ID=1792242

The Indianapolis Colts today signed tight end Weslye Saunders. The Colts also waived outside linebacker Jerry Brown and quarterback Chandler Harnish from the active roster and released tight end Dominique Jones from the practice squad.

Saunders, 6-5, 270 pounds, spent last season with the Pittsburgh Steelers, where he played in 16 games, making six starts. He compiled a total of four receptions for 29 yards and one touchdown. Saunders originally signed with the Steelers as an undrafted free agent on July 26, 2011 and was waived on October 12, 2012.

Brown played in one game this year, his first career game against the New York Jets in Week 6. He was originally signed by the Colts as an undrafted free agent on May 23, 2012 and was waived on August 31. Brown was then signed to the practice squad on September 1 and elevated to the active roster on October 10.

Harnish was originally selected by the Colts in the seventh round (253rd overall) of the 2012 NFL Draft and was inactive for all five regular season games this year.

Jones played in four games (one start) this season and had one reception for eight yards. He was originally signed by the Colts on April 30, 2012. Jones was then waived on October 8 and signed to the practice squad on October 10.

Forgot two mention two things.

Chargers wanted Harnish before Colts drafted him so don't be surprised if he is picked up by them or another team. Also Steelers fans seem to like Saunders for his potential. Seems like a decent pick up IMO.

So if we released Harnish and Jerry Brown, and signed Saunders then we should have 1 more roster spot available. With Mathis out, Freeney limping in the last game and Jerry Brown being released then my hunch is they're going to be trying to find another guy to rush the passer from the 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE spot. Couple of guys I found on other teams' practice squads that looked interesting:

Delano Johnson...http://www.bsubulldogs.com/news/2012/1/23/FB_0123121940.aspx

Jamie Blatnick...http://www.okstate.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/blatnick_jamie00.html

Matt Broha....http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2012/players/69546.html

Also saw guys like Ricky Sapp and Adrian Hamilton but the 3 guys above looked a lot more appealing to me, and they're in order of preference with Johnson being the guy I was most interested in. I didn't look at all 50 teams' rosters this time like I did last time, but I did check the Eagles' roster and I didn't see any DE/OLB type on their PS so I don't think the next roster addition will come from them. lol

ps. I should note though that Adrian Hamilton is on the Ravens' PS

i dont know, KC may start looking for a young QB lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if KC or Arizona claim Harnish....and we all know he had a contract ready to sign with SD before he was drafted so they may still be interested in him. I actually think I'd be more surprised if he did pass waivers.

For some reason...I felt disappointed upon seeing this. Don't know why. I guess I kind of liked the guy. Life long Colts fan...Mr. Irrelevant...Luck's "better looking back up" and all. :D Thought he was a pretty decent 3rd string QB to have around. Hopefully he will clear waivers and be on the practice squad.

Resigned to the practice squad. Nice.... as I think Stanton leaves next year. IMO , the Colts gambled and won. So many injuries that they needed the roster spot and got away with it. Harnish is going to be a viable No 2 QB in this league.

Resigned to the practice squad. Nice.... as I think Stanton leaves next year. IMO , the Colts gambled and won. So many injuries that they needed the roster spot and got away with it. Harnish is going to be a viable No 2 QB in this league.

Thats great to hear. He might not be a Marino, but he will be solid. Great news.

Harnish is a great player. He has a great arm, and seemed sharp in pre-season. I feel more comfortable with him being the next up instead of Stanton.

On another note, can't he just be signed off of our practice squad by another team?

Yes if they put him on their active roster. If we upped his salary to around what a player makes being on the 53 man roster , I think he could opt to stay with the Colts even if another team wanted him. I'm a little confused on this , so maybe a bit mofe to it than what I've said. I never dreamed that the practice squad pays a 1st year player about 1/4 of what the active roster pays.