Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Denver just saw what we saw for 12 years

oldunclemark

Broncos play legendary game that will be remembered

Posted: 10/16/2012 12:01:00 AM MDT

By Mark Kiszla

The Denver Post)

SAN DIEGO — One night, decades from now, as the fire in the hearth burns bright orange, you will grab a tattered No. 18 jersey from the closet, gather your grandkids and tell them tall tales from the game when Peyton Manning became a Broncos legend.

How on heaven or earth did Denver beat San Diego 35-24 on Monday night?

"I've never seen a football game turn on such a big wave," Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey said.

The Broncos scored five straight touchdowns after nearly being run out of the AFC West division race in the first half.

In all his glory, Tim Tebow never created a greater football miracle.

Manning has something more powerful than unbreakable faith. He possesses Hall of Fame talent.

John Elway, the king of all Denver comebacks, never did anything more improbable on the football field.

But Manning did not do it alone.

The miracle began with an Elvis sighting.

Broncos defensive end Elvis Dumervil, whose $14 million salary had almost as many zeroes as his no-show performances on the field in 2012, turned the momentum of the season and perhaps changed the course of history in the division by stripping the football from San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers in the third quarter.

As the scoreboard clock ticked toward five minutes remaining in the third period with Denver trailing 24-7, Dumervil busted a move, got the edge and blew up Rivers in the millisecond before the Broncos' No. 1 nemesis could deliver a pass.

The fumble was returned 65 yards for a Denver score by Tony Carter. The officials went to the videotape. The stadium was turned into a game show set as the replay was shown on giant screens. A throng of orange-clad Broncos interlopers argued with the hometown crowd. Nobody really sought justice. Every man, woman and child in the stands screamed for what benefited his or her favorite team.

Was Dumervil concerned the officials might overturn the play?

"Yeah, man," he said. "That was a touchdown. We needed it."

The verdict: Fumble. Touchdown stood.

"That's the play we had to have to make a comeback," said Manning, who completed 24-of-30 passes for 309 yards and three touchdowns.

On the San Diego sideline, Rivers fell to a crouch, like a petulant child who had been denied the last cookie in the jar.

It was beautiful sight to behold.

Check that: stunningly beautiful.

Stunning because the Broncos were awful while falling behind 24-0 in the opening half. The play-calling was so mindless, it made one pine for Josh McDaniels (well, almost). A failure to communicate between receiver Matthew Willis and Manning resulted in an interception returned 80 yards for a San Diego touchdown. Receiver Eric Decker, previously known for his hook slide, tripped as he rounded third and headed for home, self-arresting a certain touchdown for Denver.

"We had a big play to Decker and a guy made a great tackle ... I mean a piece of of grass made a great tackle," said Manning with perfect comedic timing. "When those things happen, you kind of wonder: 'Hey. Wow. Is it meant to be?' "

It's easy to laugh now.

Give the Broncos this: They are too stubborn to quit. In previous losses, they were down big to Atlanta, Houston and New England. "I think we finally got tired of coming up short," Bailey said.

The rest of the Broncos' schedule reads like a $100 question on "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" Cleveland? Two gimmes against the Chiefs? The cumulative record of Denver's remaining foes is 19-37.

As Broncomaniacs chanted near the visiting team locker room and the sullen Chargers hit the showers, a team of emergency technicians rolled a stretcher on the stadium elevator, punched a button and made a beeline for the concourse.

There was a woman in labor.

Boy or girl, there's only one name suitable for a night when Denver dreams of a championship were born anew: Peyton.

You can be my QB :yes: :yes:

So much for that noodle arm theory, aye. 24 of 30 for 309 & 3 TD's......the man has been on an absolutely demonic rip since that first quarter of the ATL game.

Forget comeback player of the year....he's focusing on MVP. Look at the rest of Denver's schedule......it's cake.

So much for that noodle arm theory, aye. 24 of 30 for 309 & 3 TD's......the man has been on an absolutely demonic rip since that first quarter of the ATL game.

Forget comeback player of the year....he's focusing on MVP. Look at the rest of Denver's schedule......it's cake.

Yeah, I never believed that stuff (I believed Elway), but it's good to not hear about it any more!!! He is on pace to have the best year of all Denver QBs so far. Now, that's saying a lot. MVP is a real possibility for him.

I've said it before 2012 is the year for Peyton to shine.

'03 - AFCCG

'06 - Super Bowl MVP

'09 - AFC Champs

'12 - ?????

His MVP years are '03, '04 and '08, '09. His "cycle" should start '13, '14. I think he bumped it up a year. haha

Before the game vs New England, there was analysis of his velocity compared to years past.

It was slightly less. At most. Amazing considering the severity of his injury.

Before the game vs New England, there was analysis of his velocity compared to years past.

It was slightly less. At most. Amazing considering the severity of his injury.

It should be noted that this is likely due not to injury/damage, but rather taking a year off and not being able to strength train for so long in order to allow healing. There are questions of nerve regeneration, but that seems to all be inconsequential. I believe his arm will strengthen as the season rolls on (I think we've seen this progress already).

It should be noted that this is likely due not to injury/damage, but rather taking a year off and not being able to strength train for so long in order to allow healing. There are questions of nerve regeneration, but that seems to all be inconsequential. I believe his arm will strengthen as the season rolls on (I think we've seen this progress already).

That was my point. That the drop off was so marginal that it could be the time off or maybe even age factor

I just went to the Bronco's Forum, and they have a poll up...Is Peyton the GOAT?

66 percent of Bronco fans agree...some homers say Elway was better..but I found that stat very interesting..

Oh, and in another thread..they are hyping Stokley for CPOY along with Peyton...

It's impossible to answer this kind of question, isn't it? I'm not prepared to say that, and I don't know if I ever will no matter how great he does with the Broncos (and I will never say Elway is either). There are so many great ones including not oft mentioned Steve Young. But I'm glad they are embracing Peyton the way they are. No one is more pleased to have him than me :D

It's impossible to answer this kind of question, isn't it? I'm not prepared to say that, and I don't know if I ever will no matter how great he does with the Broncos (and I will never say Elway is either). There are so many great ones including not oft mentioned Steve Young. But I'm glad they are embracing Peyton the way they are. No one is more pleased to have him than me :D

Oh I agree totally, that there are others that were great as well, and its impossible to say who is the GOAT. I only brought this up, because a lot of fans said Peyton was washed up, etc etc...He is just doing what he did for the Colts for all those years, and its amazing the way people's perspectives have changed. If this thread was posted before the season, I doubt he would have gotten 20 percent. I'm glad he is still performing at such a high level, and there is no doubt that he is one of the greatest to ever don a football helmet. I will still be a Peyton fan, no matter where he plays, and he will always be a Colt in my heart. I wish him nothing but the best, and I pray I can be there in person when he is inducted into the Hall of Fame.

I will have to say we had two of the GOAT qb for us..#1 Johnny U and #2 PM. Peyton has a great eye and mind but he is not on the level of Johnny U. To do what he did before the rules of the game came to make the NFL an arena league should tell you....even modern day qbs I still think Marino was the best. Post season however you can't deny Joe Montana but man he had a lot of talent...just like Brady had on D and Bradshaw on both sides of the ball. I think Marino did more with less than anyone with Peyton and Elway close behind.

I will have to say we had two of the GOAT qb for us..#1 Johnny U and #2 PM. Peyton has a great eye and mind but he is not on the level of Johnny U. To do what he did before the rules of the game came to make the NFL an arena league should tell you....even modern day qbs I still think Marino was the best. Post season however you can't deny Joe Montana but man he had a lot of talent...just like Brady had on D and Bradshaw on both sides of the ball. I think Marino did more with less than anyone with Peyton and Elway close behind.

You guys now have Andrew who I think has a good potential to be one of the greats. We on the other hand had to endure Bubby Brister, Steve Beuerline. Brian Griese, etc. Just unfair.

Oh I agree totally, that there are others that were great as well, and its impossible to say who is the GOAT. I only brought this up, because a lot of fans said Peyton was washed up, etc etc...He is just doing what he did for the Colts for all those years, and its amazing the way people's perspectives have changed. If this thread was posted before the season, I doubt he would have gotten 20 percent. I'm glad he is still performing at such a high level, and there is no doubt that he is one of the greatest to ever don a football helmet. I will still be a Peyton fan, no matter where he plays, and he will always be a Colt in my heart. I wish him nothing but the best, and I pray I can be there in person when he is inducted into the Hall of Fame.

You know what? 66% actually is really high. A lot higher than I would have imagined. I mean Elway was GOD there. How quickly people flip :D

At the beginning of the year when Peyton would drop back to throw a pass and the ball would wobble badly. The last couple of games he has been throwing like the Peyton Manning we all know and love.

Who else saw that game and was strongly reminded of Freeney/Mathis putting games away in the same fashion that Doom/Miller did? It was uncanny. While that last quarter was going on I was saying to my buddy that this Broncos team looks so much like Colts teams of the past have looked. I hope they put it together in the * though.......

You guys now have Andrew who I think has a good potential to be one of the greats. We on the other hand had to endure Bubby Brister, Steve Beuerline. Brian Griese, etc. Just unfair.

Well, before Peyton, we had to endure Jeff George, Mike Pagel, Art Schliter (sp), Chris Chandler, so I feel your pain...(while you had Elway..)

You know what? 66% actually is really high. A lot higher than I would have imagined. I mean Elway was GOD there. How quickly people flip :D

Having time to think about this...I think Elway is still a God in Denver, but since he took over his position in the front office, the people may have become disillusioned with some of his moves (like Tebow, etc..), that they kinda forgot about him as a player since Peyton is there. Also, that 66 percent might be fueled by Super Bowl fever..this is the best team Denver has had since Elway left, and hopes are running high, especially since they got through the really tough part of their schedule at 3-3, and having beaten San Diego...And they now know that no matter what the score, Peyton will never quit, and do everything he can to pull out the victory.

I don't broadcast predictions, but after the trade, I picked Denver to go to the Super Bowl, vs the 49ers... Part of the reason why it would be Harbaugh vs the man that replaced him in Indy..Peyton Manning. Just a little interesting side note to a great game, if it were to happen.

WOW YOU ALL DRANK IRSAYS KOOL AID AND YOUR STILL SIPPING IT WHILE READING PMS ACCOLADES.

Seriously, I was right in March. I will continue to be right next march and the march after that.

I wonder how many Andrew Lucks will be drafted while PM is still able to be PM.

Or better yet, how many Peyton Mannings will be drafted while PM is still able to be PM.

Having time to think about this...I think Elway is still a God in Denver, but since he took over his position in the front office, the people may have become disillusioned with some of his moves (like Tebow, etc..), that they kinda forgot about him as a player since Peyton is there. Also, that 66 percent might be fueled by Super Bowl fever..this is the best team Denver has had since Elway left, and hopes are running high, especially since they got through the really tough part of their schedule at 3-3, and having beaten San Diego...And they now know that no matter what the score, Peyton will never quit, and do everything he can to pull out the victory.

I don't broadcast predictions, but after the trade, I picked Denver to go to the Super Bowl, vs the 49ers... Part of the reason why it would be Harbaugh vs the man that replaced him in Indy..Peyton Manning. Just a little interesting side note to a great game, if it were to happen.

I have to make a slight correction here ('coz Elway demands it): Tebow draft was not on Elway (it was Josh McDaniels era). He joined a year later. His first pick as the VP (though he is not a GM) was Von Miller. That's heck of a lot better than #15. Anyway, yeah, I guess I agree that he is still God there. A little different kind of God expecially now that he brought #18 in. He said his job was to make Peyton the best QB ever played the game. I think he was serious :D

BTW, I never really knew the fiesty side of Peyton until he started to wear orange & blue. I enjoy reading his lips now (and it's easy!). I think he is feeling good!

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/peyton-manning-curses-referee/

I have to make a slight correction here ('coz Elway demands it): Tebow draft was not on Elway (it was Josh McDaniels era). He joined a year later. His first pick as the VP (though he is not a GM) was Von Miller. That's heck of a lot better than #15. Anyway, yeah, I guess I agree that he is still God there. A little different kind of God expecially now that he brought #18 in. He said his job was to make Peyton the best QB ever played the game. I think he was serious :D

BTW, I never really knew the fiesty side of Peyton until he started to wear orange & blue. I enjoy reading his lips now (and it's easy!). I think he is feeling good!

http://www.sportsgri...curses-referee/

Sorry, I was referring to the situation with Tebow, the not putting him in, putting him in..saying he's the starter, then he's not the starter etc...people were all over Elway because of that..Also, they wanted his head for taking Peyton, but that is proving to be one of the best moves ever, (as everyone is witnessing now)...Miler is a beast..he's definitely a superstar. Elway is proving that he does know the GM role...some just see him in a different light, as if they forgot about him as a player, and more as a GM...

Peyton has always been , shall we say nicely, a "feisty" person...Many times on the sidelines, he ripped a few players. He is a perfectionist, and if someone doesn't do their job, they will hear about it. He's been known to tear into offensive linemen..He had one really bad blowout on the sidelines with Jeff Saturday...Jeff came at him hard, and Peyton came back harder...I thought there was going to be a brawl...Tarik Glenn tried to break it up, and Peyton was still trying to get at Saturday..Peyton was all in his face. Peyton is the leader, and sometimes you just have to set things straight....check the video on youtube search "Peyton Manning and Jeff Saturday arguing on the sideline" (can't post that here)

I know it shocked me when I saw that..and he forgot he was miked up for the Mon night game..lol

Have a good one BAB...great discussion! :thmup:

Peyton has always been , shall we say nicely, a "feisty" person...Many times on the sidelines, he ripped a few players. He is a perfectionist, and if someone doesn't do their job, they will hear about it. He's been known to tear into offensive linemen..He had one really bad blowout on the sidelines with Jeff Saturday...Jeff came at him hard, and Peyton came back harder...I thought there was going to be a brawl...Tarik Glenn tried to break it up, and Peyton was still trying to get at Saturday..Peyton was all in his face. Peyton is the leader, and sometimes you just have to set things straight....check the video on youtube search "Peyton Manning and Jeff Saturday arguing on the sideline" (can't post that here)

I know it shocked me when I saw that..and he forgot he was miked up for the Mon night game..lol

WOW. Thanks for turning me on to the video. How intense. We have lots of young players; it's all good. And I think Demaryius Thomas should go back to calling him sir. In fact, I will :) WOW!

WOW YOU ALL DRANK IRSAYS KOOL AID AND YOUR STILL SIPPING IT WHILE READING PMS ACCOLADES.

Seriously, I was right in March. I will continue to be right next march and the march after that.

I wonder how many Andrew Lucks will be drafted while PM is still able to be PM.

Or better yet, how many Peyton Mannings will be drafted while PM is still able to be PM.

Is this really needed? I think you have made comments like this before in the Colts section when we have lost. It goes back to my "prisoners of the moment" statement.

Even if PM was healthy in March I still felt they might want to go in a new direction. We were changing everything from GM to the coaches and letting players go. It was time to change IMO and I still would have rather go with Luck as a rebuilding team then make Peyton suffer in his final years.

Denver has a better team then the Colts. And an easier division. Not even PM on Denver got by the Texans who happens to be in our division.

Luck has been up and down but he also has led a huge comeback of his own with the help of his team. Beating Aaron Rodgers and the Pack is not easy at all and Rodgers is arguably the best QB in the league. It was a team effort. And the Broncos win was also a team effort. The D scored twice as well as PM throwing 3 TDs.

I have no issues if Peyton does well with Denver even if I am not a fan of the Broncos. But, I 100% support Andrew Luck and the new era in Indy too and we all should.

Is it surprising that Indianapolis is the 3rd largest market watching Broncos games each week after Denver and whoever the opponent is? Is anyone surprised that there is still a huge following on this page, Peyton Manning is the once in a lifetime player we cheered until we had no voice left.

We have a new quarterback that we hope will take us to those emotional heights again so with high hopes of shouting ourselves hoarse we look to the past for memories then look to the future and dream.

Maybe, just maybe we can go there again.

Peyton played a great game. Has played great all season, and if I had a vote, would be MVP.

But Rivers and the Chargers lost the game. Peyton merely let them.

Isnt that like sayig NE lost those keys game to the Colts where they had big leads in Indy in 2006 and 2009?

very true......but you've got to give a more-than-2-TD comeback its due////

Who else saw that game and was strongly reminded of Freeney/Mathis putting games away in the same fashion that Doom/Miller did? It was uncanny. While that last quarter was going on I was saying to my buddy that this Broncos team looks so much like Colts teams of the past have looked. I hope they put it together in the * though.......

You are so right..

Denver is constructed so similar to the Colts....vet corners and safeties...pass rush stars at DE

..what's really encoraging is that Indy never a a receiver the size of Thomas...

..but even the )-line is similar to what Manning had a hal;f dozen years ago..

The score was 28-24 with 9:00 left

a 28 point rally in 21 minutes?

The Denver -New Orlenas game is going to be a major league shootout because NOLA Cant stop anybody and Brees wont quit throwing

Is this really needed? I think you have made comments like this before in the Colts section when we have lost. It goes back to my "prisoners of the moment" statement.

Even if PM was healthy in March I still felt they might want to go in a new direction. We were changing everything from GM to the coaches and letting players go. It was time to change IMO and I still would have rather go with Luck as a rebuilding team then make Peyton suffer in his final years.

Denver has a better team then the Colts. And an easier division. Not even PM on Denver got by the Texans who happens to be in our division.

Luck has been up and down but he also has led a huge comeback of his own with the help of his team. Beating Aaron Rodgers and the Pack is not easy at all and Rodgers is arguably the best QB in the league. It was a team effort. And the Broncos win was also a team effort. The D scored twice as well as PM throwing 3 TDs.

I have no issues if Peyton does well with Denver even if I am not a fan of the Broncos. But, I 100% support Andrew Luck and the new era in Indy too and we all should.

Prisoner of the moment is Superman's line I believe. ;)

Sorry, I was referring to the situation with Tebow, the not putting him in, putting him in..saying he's the starter, then he's not the starter etc...people were all over Elway because of that..Also, they wanted his head for taking Peyton, but that is proving to be one of the best moves ever, (as everyone is witnessing now)...Miler is a beast..he's definitely a superstar. Elway is proving that he does know the GM role...some just see him in a different light, as if they forgot about him as a player, and more as a GM...

One of a kind. He says "Get on my Level" and most people do.

I just went to the Bronco's Forum, and they have a poll up...Is Peyton the GOAT?

66 percent of Bronco fans agree...some homers say Elway was better..but I found that stat very interesting..

Oh, and in another thread..they are hyping Stokley for CPOY along with Peyton...

Great question..

Is Peyton Manning better than John Elway...??

..very close....cant split 'em....

But Peyton's not through yet.

He looks like he can play until he's 40......

It must be a good time to be in Denver if you like the Broncos.....I'm jealous

I saw that on ESPN. Denver was 1, San Diego was 2, and Indy was 3. Just goes to show Colts fans loved their QB and support a good man and a great player.

Once a Colt, always a Colt

BC......If Denver makes the playoffs.......and they go back to New England? in prime time?

.............I would think that Indy would be watching in numbers just like if it was the Colts