Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Run Defense.....or lack there of....

lollygagger8

I didn't believe it at first when I read it. I mean, I knew we weren't good against the run, but......

The Colts have given up 795 yards rushing yards in our five games we have played so far.

That's 159 yards per game, and a 5.0/apc. :sigh:

That's good for 29th in the league only above Jaguars, Saints, and Bills.

Not sure if Richardson will be 100% by next Sunday. I posted this in another thread.

http://cleveland.sbnation.com/cleveland-browns/2012/10/15/3506420/nfl-injury-report-browns-week-6

Injuries have hurt us rather bad to this point with the posibility of both Freeny/Mathis out , Redding and Angerer. Thats quite a bit of our Defensive power sitting on the sidelines.

Not sure if Richardson will be 100% by next Sunday. I posted this in another thread.

http://cleveland.sbn...t-browns-week-6

Injuries have hurt us rather bad to this point with the posibility of both Freeny/Mathis out , Redding and Angerer. Thats quite a bit of our Defensive power sitting on the sidelines.

isnt angerer expected back this weekend?? what is his status??

It was very ugly, but the way I seen the game - Luck didn't come to play either! Over threw a wide open receiver the first series then over threw another wide open receiver the second series in the endzone! IF he hits both of those heck it could have been 14-0 and a totally different game.... I'd give him a pass as a rookie, but hes been playing above that level so I dont think I will - he needs to show up!

The most basic component in football: Stop the run. If we can't do that, it's gonna be a very L-O-N-G season. It's all about gap control assignments and hand and feet placement on the line. I wonder if GM Grigson is going to spend some serious money in April's draft next year to solve this problem. Time will only tell I guess.

The most basic component in football: Stop the run. If we can't do that, it's gonna be a very L-O-N-G season. It's all about gap control assignments and hand and feet placement on the line. I wonder if GM Grigson is going to spend some serious money in April's draft next year to solve this problem. Time will only tell I guess.

I think they will load up our D mainly...and will make some addition to O-line too. (Guards, O-linemen)

Angerer wont do anything against the run, he is not that run stuffing ILB. He is a roamer, a tackler. Him and Freeman are basically the same thats why Freeman is playing his position., what I would do is play Zbikowski up closer to the line early in the game

I can't wait to see Josh Chapman on the field. Not sure if he is the answer to all of our problem(s), but it sure would help a lot along with a healthy Angerer.

That makes 2 of us Gandalf. At this point, perhaps we should put pads on your steed Shadow Fax and put him on the football field too. Just Kidding! [A Lord of the Rings J.R.R. Tolkien joke.]

Us not being able to stop the run is about as shocking as the sun coming up today.

Honestly outside of Redding and McKinney (who is out for the season) it's the same guys for the most part in the front seven last year that couldn't stop the run. The only difference is that they are in a new defense which is going to take sometime to learn.

Then on top of that on Sunday. Of our front seven starters three missed the game hurt in Angerer, Mathis, and Moala. Two more got hurt in the game in Redding and Freeney leaving Conner and Johnson as our only two starters in the front seven left. You can make a case that Conner and Johnson (depending on how you feel about Moala) are the worst two of the front seven as well and gee I wonder why we couldn't stop the run. Then the one good back up we have there in Freeman also got hurt during the game as well if I heard people on here right. Our front seven is just killed right now due to injuries and they weren't that good at stopping the run to start with.

It's going to take sometime to get everything fixed but I am not shocked at all that we still struggle at stopping the run. Till we get a true run stuffing 3/4 NT and probably another end to go along with Redding we are going to struggle with stopping the run.