Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Very early look at Colts 2013 free agents

Coltswarriors

So I was bored and decided to look up our free agents for 2013 and was thinking who we should sign, etc.

Colts free agents for 2013:

WR, Donnie Avery

WR, Austin Collie

LB, Moise Fokou

LB, Dwight Freeney

DL, Antonio Johnson

DL, Fili Moala

OL, Winston Justice

OL, Jeff Linkenbach

OL, Joe Reitz

P, Pat McAfee

RB, Mewelde Moore

CB, Jerraud Powers

CB, Cassius Vaughn

QB, Drew Stanton

It's early, but who do you think we will re-sign/should re-sign?

PS: Let me know if I put someone on the list that doesn't belong or if someone should be added to the list.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my list..

MUST re-sign: Jerraud Powers, Pat McAfee.

Would like to re-sign, but depends: Dwight Freeney, Donnie Avery, Drew Stanton, Cassius Vaughn, Moise Fokou.

Who knows what will happen: Antonio Johnson, Fili Moala, Winston Justice, Joe Reitz, Mewelde Moore.

Little to no shot of being re-signed IMO: Austin Collie, Jeff Linkenbach.

What would be great is if at seasons end, we say we need to re-sign all of them. That would probably mean we finished 14-2! :thmup:

From that list though, I really don't see anyone that we absolutely have to re-sign. Some are the "nice to have back" types, but no one really a must sign IMO, and that include Freeney at this point.

WR, Donnie Avery

WR, Austin Collie (if we can get him for cheap like league minimum cheap why not take a flyer on him?)

LB, Moise Fokou

LB, Dwight Freeney

DL, Antonio Johnson

DL, Fili Moala

OL, Winston Justice

OL, Jeff Linkenbach

OL, Joe Reitz (depends on how he does once he plays)

P, Pat McAfee(I think I'd be okay if we use our tag on him to keep him, he's the only one on this list that deserves it.)

RB, Mewelde Moore

CB, Jerraud Powers

CB, Cassius Vaughn

QB, Drew Stanton

I'd keep the ones I bolded. I wouldn't mind exploring keeping Stanton but I have a feeling he might want to move on. I could be talked into Freeney depending on how he plays the rest of the season.

Resigned:

Jerraud Powers

Cassius Vaughn, assuming he continues to perform well.

McAfee, they would have to be . to not resign him.

Joe Reitz, our OL sucks enough, letting our better players go would not be productive.

Avery

I would also love to see Freeney resigned, but really I guess that will be a loyalty issue. He will have to realize that we can't afford to pay him like he is deserved. I'm sure they will offer him a deal, just probably not what he might want.

Maybe Resigned: Fokou and Stanton.

The rest: Really don't know. Maybe Moala, I never hear anything about him so I guess he is solid, but not great either.

The others I can't see having the need to come back. Maybe Link or Justice in their rightful spots of backups. Definitely not a large pay. But I like Justice. Looks like a buff Will Smith.

So I was bored and decided to look up our free agents for 2013 and was thinking who we should sign, etc.

WR, Donnie Avery

WR, Austin Collie

LB, Moise Fokou

LB, Dwight Freeney

DL, Antonio Johnson

DL, Fili Moala

OL, Winston Justice

OL, Jeff Linkenbach

OL, Joe Reitz

P, Pat McAfee

RB, Mewelde Moore

CB, Jerraud Powers

CB, Cassius Vaughn

QB, Drew Stanton

It's early, but who do you think we will re-sign/should re-sign?

PS: Let me know if I put someone on the list that doesn't belong or if someone should be added to the list.

In my opinion, we should keep the following players under affordable deals since I dont think they will be commanding big deals...

-LB Moise Fokou

-WR Donnie Avery

-DT Fili Moala

-OG/T Joe Reitz

-CBs Powers and Vaughn

-P Pat McAfee

-QB Drew Stanton

The rest we can afford to lose. I know the loss of Freeney will hurt a bit, but I feel we are targeting a DE/OLB pass rusher of the future next draft.

The ones in bold should be re-signed.

WR, Donnie Avery

WR, Austin Collie (For a very cheap contract)

LB, Moise Fokou

LB, Dwight Freeney

DL, Antonio Johnson

DL, Fili Moala

OL, Winston Justice

OL, Jeff Linkenbach

OL, Joe Reitz

P, Pat McAfee

RB, Mewelde Moore

CB, Jerraud Powers

CB, Cassius Vaughn

QB, Drew Stanton

WR, Donnie Avery

WR, Austin Collie ( I would love to keep him but it does not seem realistic.)

LB, Moise Fokou

LB, Dwight Freeney ( If he took a paycut to play for the Colts then I would bold this)

DL, Antonio Johnson

DL, Fili Moala

OL, Winston Justice ( as a servicable back-up which is what he is ideal for. Also our OL is injured a lot...)

OL, Jeff Linkenbach

OL, Joe Reitz (little early to tell due to injuries hopefully this is not a sign of things to come, so no bold.)

P, Pat McAfee (time to start looking for a young kicker in the next 2 years not Punter imo.)

RB, Mewelde Moore

CB, Jerraud Powers

CB, Cassius Vaughn

QB, Drew Stanton

Why do people want to keep Collie (even on a cheap contract)? I think it's been proven year after year that he is incapable of playing a full season. I know when he has played he's been good, wouldn't call him anywhere near a great WR, so why the infatuation with the guy. He needs to retire before he had to eat his meals through straws.

To answer the OP:

Must resign Powers and McAfee

Would like to resign Fokou, Moala, Johnson, Avery, and maybe Stanton and Justice

Everybody else can walk

WR, Donnie Avery

WR, Austin Collie (if we can get him for cheap like league minimum cheap why not take a flyer on him?)

LB, Moise Fokou

LB, Dwight Freeney

DL, Antonio Johnson

DL, Fili Moala

OL, Winston Justice

OL, Jeff Linkenbach

OL, Joe Reitz (depends on how he does once he plays)

P, Pat McAfee(I think I'd be okay if we use our tag on him to keep him, he's the only one on this list that deserves it.)

RB, Mewelde Moore

CB, Jerraud Powers

CB, Cassius Vaughn

QB, Drew Stanton

I'd keep the ones I bolded. I wouldn't mind exploring keeping Stanton but I have a feeling he might want to move on. I could be talked into Freeney depending on how he plays the rest of the season.

Very difficult to say at this point...need to see how the season plays out and who/what is available in free agency & the draft. At the moment though all I can definitely say is that we need to let Dwight walk because he costs too much money for his onfield production at this stage in his career. Most of our offensive linemen are expendable in the interest of upgrading wherever possible. Also I wouldn't resign Austin Collie as he is now injury prone confirmed in my mind. I would want to resign Powers and McAfee. The jury is still out on most others. In regards to our DT's alot will depend on if we trully believe Josh Chapman is healthy enough to contribute or if better options exist in draft or free agency.

• 3 weeks later...

Colts 2013 free agents

WR, Donnie Avery-Gone, likely to sign with another team 2014 comp. pick possible likely low

WR, Austin Collie-Gone, likely to sign with another team 2014 comp. pick possible likely middle depending on Collie's health

LB, Moise Fokou-Gone, likely to sign with another team 2014 comp. pick possible but unlikely

LB, Dwight Freeney-Gone, likely to sign with another team (unfortunately Pats and Titans should be front runners) 2014 comp. pick possible likely high

DL, Antonio "Mookie" Johnson-Defenitally Gone, likely to sign with another team 2014 comp. pick possible likely low

DL, Fili Moala-Gone, unless he signs for league minimum or is an RFA, 2014 comp. pick possible likely low

OL, Winston Justice-Keep as backup, wouldn't be surprised if gone if Castanzo is moved to RT, Colts could go after LT, not Clady even if he isn't franchised which is possible knowing Peyton's agent.

OL, Jeff Linkenbach-Defenitaly Gone, likely to sign with another team 2014 comp. pick possible likely low

OL, Joe Reitz-Tendered 1 year keeper if he is an RFA other wise keep.

P, Pat McAfee-Keep at all cost, franchise tag possible

RB, Mewelde Moore-Gone

CB, Jerraud Powers-50/50 chance he's kept, depends allot on FA market, if he ends season on IR definitely gone.

CB, Cassius Vaughn-Gone, signs with new team 2014 comp pick possible but unlikely

QB, Drew Stanton-Gone, signs with new team 2014 comp pick possible but unlikely

Colts should have over 80 million to spend in the free agent market in 2013 an will likely be facing penalties for not spending enough money in free agency if they do not look to be big spenders in the free agent market for positions of high need like NT.

WR, Donnie Avery

WR, Austin Collie

LB, Moise Fokou

LB, Dwight Freeney

DL, Antonio Johnson

DL, Fili Moala

OL, Winston Justice

OL, Jeff Linkenbach

OL, Joe Reitz

P, Pat McAfee

RB, Mewelde Moore

CB, Jerraud Powers

CB, Cassius Vaughn

QB, Drew Stanton

I'd try to resign the guys in bold and maybe Stanton, but I don't see any "must signs" on this list... maybe Powers (He should be cheap, the way he's stinking it up this year).

So many MUST resign Mcafees is just hilarious. He's a punter folks.

There are a million other things to worry about. A punter is not among them.

Fans often don't realize how good, or how important having a really good punter is to a team. And not only is McAfee a really, really good punter, he's terrific at kick-offs. To me, (and I think to many others) he's an important sign. Not at any price perhaps, but he's very important to the success of the team.

We won't be anywhere near $80 million to spend. There are already lots of stories that project us with $40-45 mill. That includes those players who will be free agents that you list above. But that figure ($40-45m) is the most in the NFL.

We just need to spend it wisely..... but, in Grigson I trust.

WR, Donnie Avery

WR, Austin Collie

LB, Moise Fokou

LB, Dwight Freeney

DL, Antonio Johnson

DL, Fili Moala

OL, Winston Justice

OL, Jeff Linkenbach

OL, Joe Reitz

P, Pat McAfee

RB, Mewelde Moore

CB, Jerraud Powers

CB, Cassius Vaughn

QB, Drew Stanton

Keep:

Pat McAfee, J Powers, Avery, Fili Moala

Let Go:

Freeney (unless he's willing to take a pay cut), Collie (One of my favorites, but...)

All others, depends on whats available and who we draft

So many MUST resign Mcafees is just hilarious. He's a punter folks.

There are a million other things to worry about. A punter is not among them.

The other free agents have little to no value to the team except for Rietz and the only reason he has value is because the OG free agent market is so slim.

Fans often don't realize how good, or how important having a really good punter is to a team. And not only is McAfee a really, really good punter, he's terrific at kick-offs. To me, (and I think to many others) he's an important sign. Not at any price perhaps, but he's very important to the success of the team.

We won't be anywhere near $80 million to spend. There are already lots of stories that project us with $40-45 mill. That includes those players who will be free agents that you list above. But that figure ($40-45m) is the most in the NFL.

We just need to spend it wisely..... but, in Grigson I trust.

Pat is hopeless with his KO's. Are you watching the same games as I am?

The more games we play, the less I am convinced we HAVE to resign Powers. I'd really rather try to upgrade.

I dunno about Powers he left today's with a toe injury (knowing him it could be season ending) and John Pagano's (brother of Chuck) top CB Antoine Cason is a UFA.

In my opinion we should do the following

WR Avery-Resign, he is a dangerous weapon when targeted and has shown to step up and make some great catches this year, he may be a solid #2 going forward for a couple years to the point where we can build up our other higher needs, Hilton has shown flashes but has made some bad drops this year where as Avery has not

WR Austin Collie- What can I say, he produces when on the field and was a go to guy for Luck it seemed when he was healthy (not THE go to guy of course) but with Avery stepping up and Griffen showing shades of what Collie brought to the table (not an apparent deep threat but has a nack for getting open underneath) Collies career as a Colt will likely come to a close

LB-Fokou has done decent while coming into games not great or even real good but I see him being resigned to a short term deal maybe 2-3 years at the very most for quality depth purposes

LB-Freeney the pass rusher extradonaire, right now we have been inconsistent with getting to the QB, Hughes had made some plays both tackling and sack wise not that he is the answer going forward because at this point he is not but Freeney will be 33 at the end of the year and while providing pass rush it has been inconsistent do to injury, one might have to wonder if these injuries will add up the older he gets not to mention his pass rush at times has even proven to be a liability because thats the only thing he brings to the table as tremedous as it has been in the past, Its hard telling what kind of money Freeney will demand come FA but in this defense he simply would not be worth the money unless it was a very short term deal with the understanding that we very well could be looking for his replacement in the draft, in my opinion not resigned however.

Antonio Johnson-While he hasnt been the answer to our prayers he has done a decent job, Chapman will likely in DUE TIME be the starter but Mookie does bring something to the table that Chapman wont and thats some form of pass rush from the interior, Mookies days as a starter are numbered likely but he should be kept as a rotational NT, He stays another year or 2

Fili Moala-while not spectacular he has been pretty decent and is versatile, he has played Nose some, he probably wont be our answer going forward but if we were to go DE in the draft then Moala could provide a solid back up going forward who could come in and start if needed, He stays

Winston Justice- I have obviously been pretty hard on the O Line and Justice has taken quite a bit of the brunt of my venom, his slow feet are well noted and that he was a former 2nd round pick who has not lived up to that potential, I dont believe he is the answer going forward as the starter but as a back up I can live with that, he has had some good plays this season with some pretty bad ones as well but he stays as a backup next year

Linkenbach-Was originally tried at RT and that proved to be a bad experiment in the NFL, He has seemed to gotten significantly better at Guard, nothing great, he is still somewhat inconsistent but not bad, I am all for getting a Guard in the draft and I think Hicks will be around next year, I think Linkenbach will be retained on a short term deal

Reitz-Is he a Tackle? is he a Guard? well opinions are varied on that question, Personally I dont see him being the long term answer and with Linkenbach holding down the fort fairly decent and Reitz missing some games do to injury one has to wonder if he is behind and if he is can he catch up fairly quickly? I think he is a better pass protector then run blocker and if he remains at Guard going forward I see him fitting best in a Zone Blocking scheme, the question is do the coaches feel the same? I dont think he is worth a long term deal thereby not the answer going forward, I think at the very least a better starter can be had in FA for our scheme

Pat Mcafee-well folks we need a Punter and I hear they come cheap and while he does need to continue to work on his directional kicking he is well worth resigning vs spending money in FA or even worse a draft pick-resign

RB-Mewelde Moore-gone already

CB-Powers- Here is another guy I have been pretty hard on and I feel deservedly so, Powers is decent (not great or even real good) at wrapping up and tackling and he appears to lack awareness of a starting Corner and reaction speed with that said we have absolutely no depth at Corner I would resign him but to me his days as a starter are or should be coming to a close-Porter is a FA in 2013, I look for the Broncos to resign him but if not then Porter should be pursuited which would knock Powers to the Nickel

CB-Cassius Vaughn-Not much to say about this on, he is easily replaced by any number of Free Agent Corners and likely will be in my opinion-He goes

QB-Drew Stanton-a decent backup who could probably come in and win us a few games if needed, right now I dont see the reason to let him go just to replace him with who knows what, I could see resigning him to a short term deal for decent depth maybe 2 year deal

A.Q. Shipley-Here is a guy who I think has done a quality job when called upon, he shows decent power to move D Linemen in the run game and looks to have good awareness also gets to the second level fairly well, I think a very talented Center and should be resigned

Matt Overton- Long Snapper anyone? Just kidding, we need a Long Snapper and he fits the bill likely cheap and has looked to do agood job of that this year even if I joke about how much of a need or important they are in terms of the game- He stays

Mario Harvey-Here is a guy thats probably gone unnoticed by many, he is regarded as a thumper at ILB but with our ILB position being as deep as it is I see him being released to much depth for him to overcome with the emergence of Freeman

Tony Hills-Ok I wont spend much time talking about Hills, plain and simple when he has been in games he has not looked good very much at all, I see him being one of the first to go when the axe man comes thats if he makes it through the season on the roster which I think is unlikely

Martin Tevasue-was injured for a game or two this year and really has not been much of a factor pre injury or post injury, he does draw some double teams and may even have a little pass rush skills although very little, he seems relentless to me but Mookie has played better and with Chapman returning and with us having Mckinney, Tevasue could be the one lost in the shuffle although I would strongly consider Tevasue over Mckinney if it came down to either of them, Mckinney has played on Skates a few times when he was healthy

Darius Butler-Not much I can say about Butler I am not very familiar with him but he did make some plays today vs the Dolphins and to me even looked as good as Powers has and maybe even a little better, he definitly is the more aggressive Corner comparatively, I'd resign him to a 1-2 year deal for depth to compete for the Nickel job

Justin Hickman-Has shown decent but not consistent perhaps do to lack of playing time but none the less is not the answer going forward but could provide some depth, in my opinion better depth can be found on some practice squads right now on other teams, He goes

Marshay Green- Not much I can say on green, even with our Corner problems and having injuries at that position I dont remember him getting on the field or doing anything of any significance- released

Josh Gordy- came into the game today and while did not play great, he did alright, could be depth going forward and possible competition for the Nickel, probably never going to be a starter but depth is needed- he stays