Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are the regular refs really a whole lot better than the replacements?

Mouthfire

How can people not notice the lack of late flags and utter confusion? Really?

The MNF issue was the proverbial straw, not the "one mistake". Here's one difference; They know the rules.

That's true. I guess part of it, though, is that after the replacement ref debacle, I'm a lot more sensitized to referee mistakes.

Either way, though, the Packers keep getting screwed by questionable calls (replacement and regular refs). It happened last week, too.

There were also quite a few blatant mistakes during the national game when the reg refs first came back. The talking heads were commenting on it all game, IIRC.

I'm a lot more sensitized to referee mistakes.

That's exactly what it is, and I believe we're all in that category. Bad calls have always been part of the game and only in extreme circumstances was it ever made a big deal of.

Due to circumstance, we were forced to focus on what should be an ancillary part of the game, the officiating. It's become a running joke and further emphasizes how tragic of a mistake it was for the NFL to go forth into the season without settling this issue (the ref lock-out).

As long as there is humans in charge, regardless of instant replay and so on, there is always going to be errors regardless how obvious it is.

It don't matter who the refs are, replacements or not, there will always be mistakes. Not defending them but we're all humans and we all screw up even at the things we are great at.

Yes. Clearly Yes.

With that said these officials will miss a call, make a mistake and get cursed to the high heavens by fans of every team and blamed for losses and never credited for wins.

They are more efficient, they have more control and while they will make mistakes and miss calls the NFL is in far better hands with the real refs than with the replacement refs.

The one infamous Seattle/GB gaff aside, I seem to be noticing quite a few mistakes and questionable calls by the regular guys. At least in the Colts game, anyways....

Discuss.

R

Refs in the NFL have always been very poor...

They guess and are out of shape.......I think because they are part timers

That's why the NFL wants full time refs.....

..and pro league should have full time officials...I dont want to hear about how they have other jobs

if you cant be full time..we'll get someone who is

when we have 2 regular refs making two different signals literally feet apart from each other then I will start to worry

good point, lol I am critical...but i do realize it's never going to be perfect... and that MNF incident was classic, and so terrible...

I think the biggest difference is two fold.

1. The spot lite was on the replacement refs when they messed up unlike the regular officials. People were looking for the replacement refs to screw up so they could talk about it. When the regular guys do it it's largely ignored.

2. The players and coaches aren't lobbying for calls and trying to intimidate the regular guys like they were the replacement refs. Frankly with the replacement guys they acted very much like school children who have a substitute teacher. Now the regular teacher is back so they are going back to normal behavior.