Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lacey As Starter

jbaron04

how do you guy feel about lacey as are starting corner

i hate how he play and wish thomas was the starter lacey plays 10 yards off on 3 and 2 they said that all the receivers do is run about 7 yards and turn around and its a completion lacey be 10 yards off all the time it kills me how do yall feel?

He's only good in the nickel defense. Anything else, he sucks. Thomas and Tryon are better than him

Tyron, certainly. Thomas has yet to prove anything, but I like his potential.

Still waiting to see what Rucker brings to the table. I didn't think Brown played too bad, but I haven't watched him much either. I just don't see it with King.

I'm guessing we'll pick someone else up once the cuts to 53 come down.

The thing with the Tampa 2 is that our guys always play 5-10 yards in front of receivers to keep them from getting behind.

Unfortunately I've lost count on how many times we've gotten burned on third and long with this mindset. Most of the time in Lacey's direction.

It doesn't work. Move him a max of 5 yards off the receiver so he can GET there! He can't tackle once they have it, so may as well let him try and disrupt the pass.

The thing with the Tampa 2 is that our guys always play 5-10 yards in front of receivers to keep them from getting behind.

Unfortunately I've lost count on how many times we've gotten burned on third and long with this mindset. Most of the time in Lacey's direction.

It doesn't work. Move him a max of 5 yards off the receiver so he can GET there! He can't tackle once they have it, so may as well let him try and disrupt the pass.

This seems to be his strength. Seems to play well at about 5 yards off and is able to anticipate the short pass and break it up or go for interception. He has not been good at tackling in the preseason. Against the Packers he actually took Wheeler out of the play when the receiver slung him around like a hula hoop and proceeded to run for 30 yards.

I like Tryon over Lacey. Hopefully, the Colts can scout up some more CB depth after the roster shake-down this Tuesday.

I think the reason he is coached that way is because they are scared to death he will get torched deep and that is a legit concern. Unfortunately, his closing speed is terrible for as much cushion as he gives. I could be wrong though, i thought similar things of Jennings and every time i watch him in Chicago, he looks like a different player. I have worried about Lacey from the first day of camp when i seen him listed as the number 2 corner. He's shown nothing yet to make me any less concerned.

OTHER teams have learned how to beat the tampa 2. we need something new.we react to the other team instead of attacking them.

Tryon is as fast as lacey, though lacey got the lowest 40 time by 1 or 2 seconds which doesnt matter but all in all lacey is a better man coverage corner.

Why does this keep coming up? 1 or 2 seconds in a 40 is freakin huge in reaction. Where is your link?

1 or 2 seconds is pretty major, and if Lacey is that much faster than Tryon, i must have been giving Lacey too much credit. Care to share the link?

Tryon is as fast as lacey, though lacey got the lowest 40 time by 1 or 2 seconds which doesnt matter but all in all lacey is a better man coverage corner.

i hope you meant .1 or .2 seconds... Either that or tryon is running a 5.5 or 6.5 40.. which would make him the slowest DB in the history of football

Honestly I think it's kinda hard to really evaluate Lacey with the way he's being used and the amount of cushion he is allowing - one would have to thik this is more a fault of the scheme than necessarily Lacey ..not much he can do if he's asked to play that far back off

Not saying he's any good either, just saying it's sorta hard to evaluate him - afterall look at how well Tim Jennings is working out for the Bears compared to how he did here.

One thing's for sure I'm definitely going to be watching Lacey closer anytime he has any opportunity to play press. The mystery of the cushion is baffling ..I really wonder sometimes if they're just being stubborn with the whole "do what we do" thing

Lacey was doing the same thing last year in regards to how much cushion he gives. I never understood it then and I still don't understand it now. I wonder sometimes it if has to do with his size and strength. Would he really be able to jam a receiver at the line and then recover fast enough to cover the route? On the other hand though it's almost as if he likes to sit back and try to jump the route, which he did successfully a time or two last year, but not enough to warrant all the first downs he gives up.

We'll never know really whether it's him or the coaching. But one thing we do know is something has to change.

Why does this keep coming up? 1 or 2 seconds in a 40 is freakin huge in reaction. Where is your link?

1 or 2 seconds is pretty major, and if Lacey is that much faster than Tryon, i must have been giving Lacey too much credit. Care to share the link?

lol ooops meant miliseconds

Lacey........ http://nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=72672&draftyear=2009&genpos=CB

Tryon........ http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=67843&draftyear=2008&genpos=CB

Our passive defensive scheme is one of the biggest parts of the problem.

Lacey's play just compounds the problem.

I agree these play back and bend defenses are not working anymore. we need to attack the other team and make them hurry then they will make mistakes and we will get turnovers.

I agree these play back and bend defenses are not working anymore. we need to attack the other team and make them hurry then they will make mistakes and we will get turnovers.

I really don't mind bend but dont break philosophy. We dont possess the skilled corners for that kind of blitzing deffense. If the opposing offense is on the field longer its gives more chances for them to make a mistake and get in a third and long. The colts are made for third and long. I really think with if the new DL can shore up the run game we are going to see some pretty good defense, maybe in the top 14, lower in scoring.

That being said,after watching Lacey get burned by Braylon Edwards in the playoffs last year, I just can't believe he can compete with big strong recievers. I hope as the season progresses we'll see some one develope into a good number 2

I really don't mind bend but dont break philosophy. We dont possess the skilled corners for that kind of blitzing deffense. If the opposing offense is on the field longer its gives more chances for them to make a mistake and get in a third and long. The colts are made for third and long. I really think with if the new DL can shore up the run game we are going to see some pretty good defense, maybe in the top 14, lower in scoring.

That being said,after watching Lacey get burned by Braylon Edwards in the playoffs last year, I just can't believe he can compete with big strong recievers. I hope as the season progresses we'll see some one develope into a good number 2

i agree we cant compete with tall receivers they can catch passes on our small cbs even if we play closer thats is why we need to pressure them.

Can someone fill me in on why Jerraud Powers isn't getting any love as a starting corner? I won't deny that I've been a little out of the loop this off season (I normally follow things very closely) so I don't know everything that has gone on. However in my opinion Powers has been our best corner for a couple years now.

Can someone fill me in on why Jerraud Powers isn't getting any love as a starting corner? I won't deny that I've been a little out of the loop this off season (I normally follow things very closely) so I don't know everything that has gone on. However in my opinion Powers has been our best corner for a couple years now.

He is they are talking aout Lacey as the other starter. Powers has his spot locked down and everyone knows he's te starter there so no one questions it.

He is they are talking aout Lacey as the other starter. Powers has his spot locked down and everyone knows he's te starter there so no one questions it.

I understand that. I'm referring to more than just this thread though. One thread I read was predicting the depth chart and he was listed as the nickel back and over several pages nobody so much as questioned it. That seemed to indicate to me that people were pretty much in agreement that he wasn't a starter. Thanks for clearing things up though. It's good to know that his play hasn't actually fallen off as I was starting to fear.

I understand that. I'm referring to more than just this thread though. One thread I read was predicting the depth chart and he was listed as the nickel back and over several pages nobody so much as questioned it. That seemed to indicate to me that people were pretty much in agreement that he wasn't a starter. Thanks for clearing things up though. It's good to know that his play hasn't actually fallen off as I was starting to fear.

Yeah the Colts are putting him in the nickel on nickel downs. He's still the other corner on regular downs. The reason he is being used in the nickel is because more and more teams putting their number 1 WR in the slot in nickel packages to try to get a mismatch so I think the Colts are just countering that.

Guest BlueShoe

I personally think Tryon is better and Lacey should be a nickel corner. I actually like Kevin Thomas, he’s a solid tackler and I think the coaching staff should look at him as the number 2. Cb along with Tryon. As long as its not Lacey

It would be worse if Lacey was the nickel corner. Do we really want him lined up with guys like Welker?

What we will likely do is bring Lacey in when we go to the nickel but just drag Powers over to the nickel position. That would be the way to put the best personnel on the field anyway.

Don't pay any attention to people's depth charts or final 53 predictions. One thing is abundantly obvious when you read them. That is, more often than not people choose with their heart and not with their heads. They want to keep certain players just because they like that player. They don't pay attention to actual on field performance and can't see the whole picture. As the saying goes, " they can't see the forest for the tree's". They may want to keep a certain player because they have made a few good plays here and there, but can't see there may be a better player that can do the same thing plus bring other things to the table.