Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Jim Caldwell A Puppet?

presto123

I have heard a couple of national radio broadcasters say they don't think Caldwell was even brought into the fold regarding the signing of Kerry Collins. Supposedly at a presser Jim was asked about Collins and refused to answer anything and acted like he didn't even know about it. This was after we had already signed Collins. Did the press find out before Caldwell? Surely not but with Caldwell's mistake once again last night on the onside kick(again possibly costing us the game) is he really our best option at coach? I like the guy but I think there are Much better coaches out there. If our higher ups don't trust him regarding every decision what is he doing there?

this is a joke caldwell is not a puppet, no one asked him about it he just never mentioned it. the media needs to get a grip getting mad cause the guy didnt tell them about the signing, like seriously get real.

I didn't see the presser just what I heard on national radio. They said he WAS asked about it and he ended the presser and left the room?

Make it stop, honestly we have enough bash Caldwell threads. Go to one of those and you are going to find the same responses you are going to get here.

Has anybody answered the question about the press conference? I am curious because I didn't see it. Obviously it was something if hit hit national radio shows or are they just looking for something to dig up? But can you really deny that Caldwell made a big mistake once again last night? Not only was our hands team not out there but the guys who were out there were totally caught off guard by that onside kick. Heck I could see that coming.

Has anybody answered the question about the press conference? I am curious because I didn't see it. Obviously it was something if hit hit national radio shows or are they just looking for something to dig up? But can you really deny that Caldwell made a big mistake once again last night? Not only was our hands team not out there but the guys who were out there were totally caught off guard by that onside kick. Heck I could see that coming.

You are the first person I've heard bring up Caldwell walking out of a presser and I've been listening to national media most of the day.

The hand teams was a mistake but again that's a product of being off the Dungy tree. His teams did the samething. Caldwell isn't perfact but he's far from a puppet either. I'll also give Caldwell credit for coaching the team up last night after extremely poor outings the last two time out.

You are the first person I've heard bring up Caldwell walking out of a presser and I've been listening to national media most of the day.

The hand teams was a mistake but again that's a product of being off the Dungy tree. His teams did the samething. Caldwell isn't perfact but he's far from a puppet either. I'll also give Caldwell credit for coaching the team up last night after extremely poor outings the last two time out.

Fair enough. I didn't want this to be another bash Caldwell thread exactly. I just wanted people's opinions on whether he has total reigns on the team. The national broadcast I heard was 3 or 4 days ago not today.

Guest BlueShoe

I have heard a couple of national radio broadcasters say they don't think Caldwell was even brought into the fold regarding the signing of Kerry Collins. Supposedly at a presser Jim was asked about Collins and refused to answer anything and acted like he didn't even know about it. This was after we had already signed Collins. Did the press find out before Caldwell? Surely not but with Caldwell's mistake once again last night on the onside kick(again possibly costing us the game) is he really our best option at coach? I like the guy but I think there are Much better coaches out there. If our higher ups don't trust him regarding every decision what is he doing there?

I have been critcal of Caldwell when he deserves it, but last night he put together a great game plan and gave us a chance to beat the Pack (albeit preseason). He actually deserves credit when it is due. He coached well last night. We had third and fourth stringers out there on that onside kick. Players that low on the depth chart don't usually practice that stuff. I actually would have been surprised if we recovered it.

I have been critcal of Caldwell when he deserves it, but last night he put together a great game plan and gave us a chance to beat the Pack (albeit preseason). He actually deserves credit when it is due. He coached well last night. We had third and fourth stringers out there on that onside kick. Players that low on the depth chart don't usually practice that stuff. I actually would have been surprised if we recovered it.

Good point as well I just think maybe he should have huddled them together and made them aware of the possibility being that it could affect the outcome of the game. I do give him some credit and I do like the emotion he showed last night.

Fair enough. I didn't want this to be another bash Caldwell thread exactly. I just wanted people's opinions on whether he has total reigns on the team. The national broadcast I heard was 3 or 4 days ago not today.

Still think I wouldn't have heard it on one of the local shows (which I catch almost daily) and would have probably been big news here. I think the show you heard MIGHT have gotten some bad info.

Guest BlueShoe

Still think I wouldn't have heard it on one of the local shows (which I catch almost daily) and would have probably been big news here. I think the show you heard MIGHT have gotten some bad info.

Either that or maybe he heard it from Mort. We all know that Mort likes to make stuff up.

What show did you hear it on? I listen to the NFL Channel on Sirius and since they're on all day any little incident is discussed. I didn't hear them talking about Caldwell.

(Edited to add this) Also, if it did happen, it would have been even more blown up by BBS on StampedeBlue. He never misses an opportunity to bash Caldwell, Polian, or Jerry Hughes.

I didn't see the presser just what I heard on national radio. They said he WAS asked about it and he ended the presser and left the room?

Well nah mate, he wasnt asked about it not in the articles i read... they found out that he got signed just when he was getting ready to leave the conference.

You did see Chip screw the game up for us, right? It had nothing to do with Caldwell, and everything to do with a hot-headed * playing penalties and trash talk instead of DB for us.

You did see Chip screw the game up for us, right? It had nothing to do with Caldwell, and everything to do with a hot-headed * playing penalties and trash talk instead of DB for us.

How do you figure? GB probably wouldn't have even got the ball back if we were aware of the onside. I think the show I heard it on was Tony Bruno broadcasted at night on 1260 AM.I listen to so many I can't be sure on that one.

How do you figure? GB probably wouldn't have even got the ball back if we were aware of the onside. I think the show I heard it on was Tony Bruno broadcasted at night on 1260 AM.I listen to so many I can't be sure on that one.

Bruno gets a lot of stuff wrong (mixes up stories for example) or makes a lot of jokes about things and the way he says it comes across like it's news. I like him but he's not always the best source of information.

Bruno gets a lot of stuff wrong (mixes up stories for example) or makes a lot of jokes about things and the way he says it comes across like it's news. I like him but he's not always the best source of information.

True but he acted like other sources were questioning whether Caldwell was in the loop as well. He wasn't really joking when he was talking about this he was just reading news on various sports and such. I do recall it was Bruno now. I remembered the voice.

My own opinion is that it is management that is holding this team back - Polian, not Caldwell. I don't know why Polian gets so much credit. 1 Superbowl win for this team is clear under-acheivement.

Gee I don't know maybe it's because he's built a team that has rewritten the NFL record book when it comes to winning. He also did it with a franchise that was close to being the laughing stock of the NFL most of their history in Indianapaolis before he got here. Also only one Super Bowl win? You know three teams (Broncos, Pats, and Steelers) have won more Super Bowls than the Colts have during Polian's time here right? Winning Super Bowls is a hard thing to do.

Guest BlueShoe

Gee I don't know maybe it's because he's built a team that has rewritten the NFL record book when it comes to winning. He also did it with a franchise that was close to being the laughing stock of the NFL most of their history in Indianapaolis before he got here. Also only one Super Bowl win? You know three teams (Broncos, Pats, and Steelers) have won more Super Bowls than the Colts have during Polian's time here right? Winning Super Bowls is a hard thing to do.

I have said my peace on the Marshall Faulk thing, but some of these (Polian Bashing) posts are pretty funny. I always give Polian credit where it is due and he has earned a lot of it over the years.

GB most likely wouldn't have even scored the TD to tie the game if not given that 30 yards. Harrell wasn't doing much up to that point.

Either way. The final means nothing. Yea, our ST's have defended onside kicks horribly for some time now. No, our unit didn't look prepared for it. I almost got the feeling Jim didn't care at that point and just wanted the game to end.

All the positives last night and we're hung up on the final 2 minutes of a meaningless game.

His role was minimal but he was aware of it. He talked about it but he didn't play a huge part in any of that stuff. He doesn't play a huge part in anything around here. He likes to keep his participation in most things as minimal as he possibly can, but he did talk about it.

That is your opinion. I think there a few that would disagree with you that our head coach has little to do with anything around the team. Please don't state it like it's fact because unless your in team meetings you don't know that just like none of us can prove for a fact you are wrong.

That is your opinion. I think there a few that would disagree with you that our head coach has little to do with anything around the team. Please don't state it like it's fact because unless your in team meetings you don't know that just like none of us can prove for a fact you are wrong.

That is a fact.

No it's not it's your opinin. I think several people would tell you Jim Caldwell has a lot to do with the team. Just because you don't like him and you don't like some of the choices he's made does not mean he has little to do with the team.

No it's a fact, those are his words not mine. I like the man, I just don't like him employed in the position that he is employed. But it is still a fact.

On his involvement in recruiting Kerry Collins to play for the Colts:

"Let's put it this way, there's not too many things that go on in terms of personnel that I'm not aware of. But my role is minimal. I know what we talk about, but it's not like I play a huge part in any of that stuff. Nothing around here do I play a huge part in. My participation in most things, I try to make as minimal as I possibly can. But did we talk? Yes."

http://www.1070thefan.com/news/story.aspx?ID=1529072

No it's a fact, those are his words not mine. I like the man, I just don't like him employed in the position that he is employed. But it is still a fact.

http://www.1070thefan.com/news/story.aspx?ID=1529072

Got ya I apologize I was on the wrong page as to what you were talking about. I thought you ment in general. Yeah I could see why he had little to do with bringing a player in, Dungy used to always describe his relationship with Polian is that Polian buys the groceries and then he would cook so to speek.

Got ya I apologize I was on the wrong page as to what you were talking about. I thought you ment in general. Yeah I could see why he had little to do with bringing a player in, Dungy used to always describe his relationship with Polian is that Polian buys the groceries and then he would cook so to speek.

No biggie... The key statement is "Nothing around here do I play a huge part in. My participation in most things, I try to make as minimal as I possibly can" Just not words a lot of people want out of a head coach.

No biggie... The key statement is "Nothing around here do I play a huge part in. My participation in most things, I try to make as minimal as I possibly can" Just not words a lot of people want out of a head coach.

I think he ment in terms of getting players but I could be wrong.

I agree. C'mon Jim....you should be involved in every decision that is going to affect your team on the field and if you are not you should be questioning why you are not. I just think we have had a laid back approach for too long with this team.

I agree. C'mon Jim....you should be involved in every decision that is going to affect your team on the field and if you are not you should be questioning why you are not. I just think we have had a laid back approach for too long with this team.

Why it's working? We have the longest active streak in terms of making the playoffs in history. We've been to two Suepr Bowls with it (one just two years ago) and we hve pretty much rewritten the record book when it comes to winning. If it's broken don't fix it.

I think Caldwell ment what he said in terms of going out and getting players it fits what Dungy used to always say the relationship with Polian was in that regard. Pretty much Polian goes out and gets the players and then he coaches them up.

I think he ment in terms of getting players but I could be wrong.

I would view as getting players as one thing. I see your point, but when he uses the term "most things", I think that would have to include getting players, scouting, game planning, organizing practice, offense/defense/special teams. I know teams like the Patriots, Belichick is hands on in all aspects. Rex Ryan is mostly a defensive guy, but when Sanchez was a rookie, he went to the OC and had him install the Green,Red, Yellow system for him. Most head coaches are completely involved in all aspects of the team, and I don't see it out of Caldwell.

Why it's working? We have the longest active streak in terms of making the playoffs in history. We've been to two Suepr Bowls with it (one just two years ago) and we hve pretty much rewritten the record book when it comes to winning. If it's broken don't fix it.

I think Caldwell ment what he said in terms of going out and getting players it fits what Dungy used to always say the relationship with Polian was in that regard. Pretty much Polian goes out and gets the players and then he coaches them up.

Josh McDaniels could win with Peyton Manning. Singletary, etc. The best thing Caldwell had going for him and some could argue that it needed a change was the continuity he gave the team from the Dungy era. In my opinion Dungy under-achieved, and there were many times we came out flat in the playoffs and that could be due to resting players, or preparation. Some will be satisfied with one title in the Manning era, but for the most part the team has underachieved. Caldwell might have over-achieved for him personally in his first two years but for the most part the Manning era hasn't met expectations. I don't see Manning & company overcoming this staff for another ring.

I would view as getting players as one thing. I see your point, but when he uses the term "most things", I think that would have to include getting players, scouting, game planning, organizing practice, offense/defense/special teams. I know teams like the Patriots, Belichick is hands on in all aspects. Rex Ryan is mostly a defensive guy, but when Sanchez was a rookie, he went to the OC and had him install the Green,Red, Yellow system for him. Most head coaches are completely involved in all aspects of the team, and I don't see it out of Caldwell.

Josh McDaniels could win with Peyton Manning. Singletary, etc. The best thing Caldwell had going for him and some could argue that it needed a change was the continuity he gave the team from the Dungy era. In my opinion Dungy under-achieved, and there were many times we came out flat in the playoffs and that could be due to resting players, or preparation. Some will be satisfied with one title in the Manning era, but for the most part the team has underachieved. Caldwell might have over-achieved for him personally in his first two years but for the most part the Manning era hasn't met expectations. I don't see Manning & company overcoming this staff for another ring.

I have never bought the whole resting the players thing leading to us losing in the playoffs outside of 05. We won a playoff game huge at home after we rested them in 04. We also lost huge after we had to play them to get in 2002 under Dungy. I think what use losing or winning in the playoffs had more to do with who were playing in the playoffs. Flash forward under Caldwell when we rested we went to the Suepr Bowl and we played them we went one and done. So resting the starters is what it is. No one likes it but I don't think seals your fate for the playoffs, outside of 05 again. That's the one time I think we just had too much rest.

Belichick also has a title of some sorts that gives him some control over player moves. Caldwell is just our coach. Nothing wrong with that. Based on the context I am pretty sure that Caldwell was saying he didn't have much say about anything that goes on in terms of player movement. Still I cringed when I read it too, not what you want to hear your coach say. I've said several times I just don't think Caldwell is good with the media and this is another exaple of that.

I would also never put Caldwell in Belichick class of coaches. I think Caldwell is a decent coach who does benefit some from having Peyton Manning. Yes he walked into a great job but you know what so did Grudden when he took over the Bucs after Dungy and yes he got the Super Bowl win but after that that team feel apart quickly. Caldwell seems to be holding this team togeather. I don't think Dungy was a great post-season coach. He was too conservative for the playoffs. I do think you could make a very strong case Dungy was the best regular season coach there has been though. Still I think he struggled in the playoffs because doing it by the book works when the other team does it too and during the regular season that happens more times than not but in the playoffs that goes out the window. Caldwell has shown me he is a little more of a gambler than Dungy was, not by much but a little bit more. It doesn't mean I think Caldwell is better than Dungy or even as good as Dungy. I still think he's a decent coach though. Like I said I'll give him all the credit in the world for the effort we saw last night. After two very lack luster games you could hear the concern he had when he talked about it, the effort last night as much much better and to me that's all coaching. He got them fired up and fixed a lot of the issues we had the first two weeks on defense and did it without his two leaders on defense, Bethea and Brackett.

I have never bought the whole resting the players thing leading to us losing in the playoffs outside of 05. We won a playoff game huge at home after we rested them in 04. We also lost huge after we had to play them to get in 2002 under Dungy. I think what use losing or winning in the playoffs had more to do with who were playing in the playoffs. Flash forward under Caldwell when we rested we went to the Suepr Bowl and we played them we went one and done. So resting the starters is what it is. No one likes it but I don't think seals your fate for the playoffs, outside of 05 again. That's the one time I think we just had too much rest.

Belichick also has a title of some sorts that gives him some control over player moves. Caldwell is just our coach. Nothing wrong with that. Based on the context I am pretty sure that Caldwell was saying he didn't have much say about anything that goes on in terms of player movement. Still I cringed when I read it too, not what you want to hear your coach say. I've said several times I just don't think Caldwell is good with the media and this is another exaple of that.

I would also never put Caldwell in Belichick class of coaches. I think Caldwell is a decent coach who does benefit some from having Peyton Manning. Yes he walked into a great job but you know what so did Grudden when he took over the Bucs after Dungy and yes he got the Super Bowl win but after that that team feel apart quickly. Caldwell seems to be holding this team togeather. I don't think Dungy was a great post-season coach. He was too conservative for the playoffs. I do think you could make a very strong case Dungy was the best regular season coach there has been though. Still I think he struggled in the playoffs because doing it by the book works when the other team does it too and during the regular season that happens more times than not but in the playoffs that goes out the window. Caldwell has shown me he is a little more of a gambler than Dungy was, not by much but a little bit more. It doesn't mean I think Caldwell is better than Dungy or even as good as Dungy. I still think he's a decent coach though. Like I said I'll give him all the credit in the world for the effort we saw last night. After two very lack luster games you could hear the concern he had when he talked about it, the effort last night as much much better and to me that's all coaching. He got them fired up and fixed a lot of the issues we had the first two weeks on defense and did it without his two leaders on defense, Bethea and Brackett.

He might have been talking about one thing, but the way I took his words, it was about the whole concept of being a head coach.

I think Caldwell is better with the media than he is at in game decisions, adjustments and clock management. He might not be the best with the media but he's pretty awful at the other things. Belichick does have the say in personnel decisions but I was talking about the other aspects that a head coach should be involved in. If Caldwell was talking about everything that could be included in that, then he doesn't have much input on those things.

I would put Caldwell in the lower 25-20% of Head coaches in the league. Everyone wants to point to the injury riddled season from last year, but I think that success can be placed on the leaders of the team, Manning, Saturday, Wayne, Freeney, Brackett, etc as much as it would to the coaching staff, and even more to Polian for having some of the players as backups/practice squad and then to Manning/Tammee/White in trying to replace Clark/Collie.

Last night was better, but I'd willing to bet Painter had more hands on coaching from Manning than he did from Caldwell or Turner. You also have to look at the late game failures on coaching too. I've seen that onside kick somewhere before. I didn't think he was qualified for the job and we have a team in place that didn't need to break a coach in and I think we would have done as good or better over the past two years if we would have hired a number of other coaches.

Gruden inherited an outstanding defense. He also inherited a mediocre at best offense.

Guest BlueShoe

You don't have to apologize for that because you were right. Dungy played a big part in the war room. HUGE role drafting defensive players! In fact he had to stop Bill from moving up to get Bob Sanders. Polian was sweating it while Dungy said to just hold still because Bob would be there.

Caldwell has obviously played a huge role in the war room as well because our line picks (both sides) have generally been the bigger type of players since Caldwell took over.

He might have been talking about one thing, but the way I took his words, it was about the whole concept of being a head coach.

I think Caldwell is better with the media than he is at in game decisions, adjustments and clock management. He might not be the best with the media but he's pretty awful at the other things. Belichick does have the say in personnel decisions but I was talking about the other aspects that a head coach should be involved in. If Caldwell was talking about everything that could be included in that, then he doesn't have much input on those things.

I would put Caldwell in the lower 25-20% of Head coaches in the league. Everyone wants to point to the injury riddled season from last year, but I think that success can be placed on the leaders of the team, Manning, Saturday, Wayne, Freeney, Brackett, etc as much as it would to the coaching staff, and even more to Polian for having some of the players as backups/practice squad and then to Manning/Tammee/White in trying to replace Clark/Collie.

Last night was better, but I'd willing to bet Painter had more hands on coaching from Manning than he did from Caldwell or Turner. You also have to look at the late game failures on coaching too. I've seen that onside kick somewhere before. I didn't think he was qualified for the job and we have a team in place that didn't need to break a coach in and I think we would have done as good or better over the past two years if we would have hired a number of other coaches.

Gruden inherited an outstanding defense. He also inherited a mediocre at best offense.

I think Caldwell is very good at game planning. He does seem to strugle at adjusting on the fly that could be a product of being a young coach as well. I agree his clock management is strange at best but hey he didn't use timeouts last night so maye he's learning.

You like to under sell Caldwell a lot. You tend to say the first thing that goes wrong it is his fault, then when something goes right (all the injuries last season and the perfromance last night) and you try to give anyone credit but him. He is 26-10 and no matter how much you dislike him his record is what it is used to judge him. He's also been to as many Super Bowls as the rest of the coaches of the Indianapolis Colts combined.

I think Caldwell is a middle of the pack NFL coach. He's not great but he's not as bad as some of our fans would like him to be.

You don't have to apologize for that because you were right. Dungy played a big part in the war room. HUGE role drafting defensive players! In fact he had to stop Bill from moving up to get Bob Sanders. Polian was sweating it while Dungy said to just hold still because Bob would be there.

Caldwell has obviously played a huge role in the war room as well because our line picks (both sides) have generally been the bigger type of players since Caldwell took over.

No I was on the wrong page as him. I thought he was talking about the overall role with the team. He was talking about the Collins signing specificly and gave the link to back it up.