Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

5 Huge Things We Learned From This Game

coltsuser21

1.Painter did just enough to save his job---(Painter completed just over 50 percent of his passes, for 171 yards, including two touchdowns and no interceptions.

Not great, but not awful either.)

2.The right side of the O-Line is Solid---(Joseph Addai had huge holes to run through on the right side to start the game.)

3.Jacob Lacey Needs to Improve---(acob Lacey looked bad —really bad —against the Packers.

He was consistently beaten by the bigger, faster Packers receivers. )

4.Delone Carter will play and be a threat in our Offense---(No player has impressed me more for the Colts this preseason than Delone Carter.

When Carter came into the game, the running game immediately improved.)

5.D-line Is Fierce---(When you add Tommie Harris, Jamaal Anderson, and Drake Nevis to an already solid pass rush, the sky is the limit.)

Do you agrree?

oh yea and CHip Vaughn will be cut maybe even jerry hughes everyone did good to me except them 3

1.Painter did just enough to save his job---(Painter completed just over 50 percent of his passes, for 171 yards, including two touchdowns and no interceptions.

2.The right side of the O-Line is Solid---(Joseph Addai had huge holes to run through on the right side to start the game.)

3.Jacob Lacey Needs to Improve---(acob Lacey looked bad —really bad —against the Packers.

4.Delone Carter will play and be a threat in our Offense---(No player has impressed me more for the Colts this preseason than Delone Carter.

5.D-line Is Fierce---(When you add Tommie Harris, Jamaal Anderson, and Drake Nevis to an already solid pass rush, the sky is the limit.)

Do you agrree?

oh yea and CHip Vaughn will be cut maybe even jerry hughes everyone did good to me except them 3

Well, I don't agree on everything. Right side of o-line was good on run blocking but Linkinpuke sucks on pass blocking.

I don't think anybody else would have been better in Lacey's spot. I keep saying, its not the personel, it is the coaching. When you're taught to play 10 yds. off a reciever nobody is gonna be very good. Just dumb coaching in my opinion.

And I really wish people would quit saying Hughes might get cut(not just you by any means). Hughes is not gonna get cut. You can book it right now, won't happen.

i really like diem is what seems to me his natural spot. lacey wouldnt be that bad if every snap they didnt play so far off the line.

one other thing i saw last night was that our defense seemed very predictable. if the corners were playing off, it was zone. if they played close, it was a blitz. but i did like the fact that we were blitzing.

When Peyton is back the o-line will look better :yes:

Just cause he might make the o-line 'look' better doesn't mean it is better. He can make them look good in stats by not taking many sacks, but it doesn't make them a top 5 O-line.

Right side of O-line was NOT solid. Run blocking was decent, but link was terrible at pass blocking. Matthews blew by him and so did 2nd stringers. He looked like he was statue and matthews was going around him at the speed of light. D-line can be fierce, but I'm a bit skeptical on a few parts. Hopefully link does better next game and proves he can be a good starting RT.

Just cause he might make the o-line 'look' better doesn't mean it is better. He can make them look good in stats by not taking many sacks, but it doesn't make them a top 5 O-line.

Right side of O-line was NOT solid. Run blocking was decent, but link was terrible at pass blocking. Matthews blew by him and so did 2nd stringers. He looked like he was statue and matthews was going around him at the speed of light. D-line can be fierce, but I'm a bit skeptical on a few parts. Hopefully link does better next game and proves he can be a good starting RT.

Who said they were a top 5 line?They made it to a super bowl with a average line.This team does not need to be a top 5 unit to be successful.

Who said they were a top 5 line?They made it to a super bowl with a average line.This team does not need to be a top 5 unit to be successful.

Nobody did, but I'm pointing out that Manning can make that line look better than it is. It shows with painter under center at times. The line was more than average that year. We actually had somewhat of a running game that year. Getting addai over 1000 yards and rhodes being a solid compliment showed that years line was good. They did a good job of pass blocking as well. They played like a top 5 unit when in the superbowl and it let to a win. If link plays like he did yesterday, it's going to make that line look below average. The team does need a good line. How else are we going to be able to be successful if we can't give whoever is under center decent protection? The left side did fine and so did saturday. Overall diem did well, but if link plays like that in pass protection again it doesn't matter who is under center they're going to have a long day.

Nobody did, but I'm pointing out that Manning can make that line look better than it is. It shows with painter under center at times. The line was more than average that year. We actually had somewhat of a running game that year. Getting addai over 1000 yards and rhodes being a solid compliment showed that years line was good. They did a good job of pass blocking as well. They played like a top 5 unit when in the superbowl and it let to a win. If link plays like he did yesterday, it's going to make that line look below average. The team does need a good line. How else are we going to be able to be successful if we can't give whoever is under center decent protection? The left side did fine and so did saturday. Overall diem did well, but if link plays like that in pass protection again it doesn't matter who is under center they're going to have a long day.

Wrong,we were 32nd in the league,dead last.I want to date a super model,life just ain't fair.We are what we are.Joking aside i believe the o-line will get better as soon as these guys begin to know what their position is.I might be wrong,though.I was talking about the 2009 super bowl season.

Do you agrree?

You want to post the link to bleacher report where you stole this from? Mods need to hold coltsuser accountable for links.

The O-line is solid for runs...not passes *cough* Link *cough*

Even though it's not exactly good at the moment, the pass protection looks better than it was last season. (Not by much) Last year Pman ran for his life literally on every bloody snap. (And still had a good/very good season by most QB's standards)

With Peyton at QB even Link's inability won't make us suffer that much. Hopefully though they mess around with the rotation and come up with something better. If we can get Pman 2.5-3+

seconds to throw the O will be lights out. (As opposed to the <2 seconds it was last season lol...what a mess.)

Do you agrree?

1. Painter's job was not on the line unless you mean him is hte main back up we were never going to cut him and just go with Manning and Collins with all the questions about Manning's health.

2. Are you kidding me? Diem is good yes but Link was down right awful last night. Ijalana is not ready either. We have four good starting o-lineman but we are waiting on someone to step up and win the fifth job either at right guard or right tackle.

3. Lacey did what he was coached to do, playoff. That's a scheme issue not a player issue. I do think we could upgrade our second starting corner but Lacey seemed to make tackles last night and do what the coaches coached him to do. I am going to hope that's a result of the base defense as it seems have clearly caught on to the play our guy 10 yards off every play thing.

4. I would love to see Carter with the first stringers. Addai is still our number one but I think Carter should be the number two.

5. I feel as good about our DT spot as I have in year. The coaches are going to have some very hard choices to make in final cuts this year.

Hughes is not getting cut. Teams don't give up on first round draft picks after one year.

You want to post the link to bleacher report where you stole this from? Mods need to hold coltsuser accountable for links.

:wtg: second forum topic that was not provided with a link today. I agree mods should hold people accountable for links. It is in the forum rules after all. Having said that, I could personally care less where the info comes from. I read the other sites too to know if it's someone else's ideas or not. Whatever :topic:

I would love to see ijalana starting over link, but im not gonna say link was horrible, the packers defense was just that good. Link is gonna get better right now i like the way the Oline is set up right now the colts have a good set up for the run... leave it like that, caldwell said we really need teams to respect our running game and they just might if the Oline keeps getting better in both phases of course and they will.

I would love to see ijalana starting over link, but im not gonna say link was horrible, the packers defense was just that good. Link is gonna get better right now i like the way the Oline is set up right now the colts have a good set up for the run... leave it like that, caldwell said we really need teams to respect our running game and they just might if the Oline keeps getting better in both phases of course and they will.

No you wouldn't. Ijalana is doing okay against other teams second and third stringers we would be getting eaten alive against other teams starters right now. He's just not ready yet. You don't want to rush a young guy like that because that can destroy confidence which sometimes you just can't get back.

If we get runs like we did last night teams are going to have to respect our ground game. That's what we need out of it, enough to make other teams respect it. If we get that it opens up our passing game.

Please see the forum rules here:

http://forums.colts.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

7. If you post an news, blog, magazine or other type of written/published article...please provide a URL link and do not quote or post the entire article in the forum. This is generally a copyright violation and it also takes up a lot of space. Usually 10% of the original material as a summary is acceptable, along with the link back to the full article.

Thread closed.