Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It Looks Like Powers Is Going To Be Playing In The Nickel

Guest BlueShoe

Guest BlueShoe

I think this is a smart move, because the more athletic receivers tend to play inside and Powers is our best chance of stopping bad things from happening inside.

Lacey actually gets challenged less on the outside. At least it seems that way. And Tyron is a very, very good outside cover corner. Our only real weakness at corner is Lacey and he seems to be more of a liability on the inside than on the outside, again this probably has to do with being challenged less.

I don’t think it’s going to be long before Kevin Thomas is making a serious challenge for Lacey’s spot. There is no question that Thomas is more gifted.

So when we lineup on week one I am kind of expecting to see:

Justin Tryon - Andre Johnson (Possession)

Andre might be the best receiver in the entire league so this is a bit unfair to Tryon. We are not going to stop AJ from making some plays out there and we will need some safety help on this side most of the day. Outside of Colts fans, people who don’t know much about Tryon might think this is a complete mismatch and make no mistake about it AJ is a mismatch for just about everyone in the league. Keep him in front of us with safety help over the top. Try not to let him get going and get pressure on Schaub early.

Jacob Lacey - Kevin Walter/Jacoby Jones (supposed to be the speed spot)

Kevin Walter isn’t the deep threat that he once was, but he is still very effective at run blocking. I fear that the Texans are going to see us playing to Johnson’s side and try to rip the run towards Lacey. Lucky for us Lacey can tackle well so as long as the linebackers read this correctly then we should be okay stretching Foster to the outside. It’s the cut back that we have to be ready for. I can see them brining in Jacoby Jones from time to time to mix it up and test Lacey deep.

Jerraud Powers - Owen Daniels/Jacoby Jones/Dorin Dickerson/Andre Johnson (slot)

I doubt the Texans go much three receiver here because the matchup is not in their favor to do so. They are better off lining up with Daniels or Dickerson in the slot/TE. Powers can handle this, although Daniels will get some catches in the game. We just need to keep him from getting deep down the middle in one-on-one situations with our linebackers. Don’t sleep on this Dorin Dickerson kid – he is a big WR/TE hybrid who should eventually progress into something.

If the Texans are able to run on us I think it’s going to be to Lacey’s side simply because we will be shifting double coverage to AJ.

Just random thoughts I am having today.

Our defense looked really good yesterday for the most part. Our front seven (so far) is as good as it has ever looked in the Manning era. We actually have soild depth in the front seven too.

The corners are what I am not completely sold on yet. Too bad we don't have the money left because maybe having Hayden would be the difference in putting this defense over the top. We put him in Lacey's spot and things would get a lot better for us. Then again, maybe Lacey will go back to his rookie form and play better this season.

Lacey actually gets challenged less on the outside...

I get what you're saying. But anyone watching tape is going to do the same thing that the Pack did last night. When you need a first down, throw at Lacey. He makes Tim Jennings look like Revis. Ten yard cushion? Seriously?

I'm hoping Thomas and Rucker come along fast enough to move Lacey to Dime, or even better, backup dime.

Guest BlueShoe

They line up AJ in the slot a lot, that is when I anticipate Powers to guard AJ.

They definitely move things around a lot. But they play a FB on a lot of downs. When they bring the FB in then AJ is on the outside.

Absolutely when AJ is in the middle, Powers will be there. But when AJ is on the outside I expect Tryon to be there.

I don’t think we will move our guys around much just to mirror what they are doing.

They definitely move things around a lot. But they play a FB on a lot of downs. When they bring the FB in then AJ is on the outside.

Absolutely when AJ is in the middle, Powers will be there. But when AJ is on the outside I expect Tryon to be there.

I don’t think we will move our guys around much just to mirror what they are doing.

The reason is because we do not have a physical presence in the nickel ever since Marlin Jackson left. Guarding folks like Colston, Welker etc. in the slot is best done with a guy like Powers, so I like the move. Chris Rucker is who we are counting on for that physical presence inside down the road since Lacey is too slender for providing run support in the nickel effectively.

Lacey is the new Tim Jennings/Jason David, pick a name :).

Guest BlueShoe

I get what you're saying. But anyone watching tape is going to do the same thing that the Pack did last night. When you need a first down, throw at Lacey. He makes Tim Jennings look like Revis. Ten yard cushion? Seriously?

I'm hoping Thomas and Rucker come along fast enough to move Lacey to Dime, or even better, backup dime.

I agree. I haven't given completely up on Lacey just yet. He did have a nice rookie season so the kid can play. Maybe it's a confidence thing right now. Let's hope he improves because HE could very well be the key in how well our defense plays this season.

Guest BlueShoe

Lacey is the new Tim Jennings/Jason David, pick a name :).

And the common factor with them has been giving the extended cushion. Jason David couldn’t stop and inside move at all though he was very athletic and Jennings just could not get up high enough to stop the bigger receivers, but they both had speed so it really never made much sense as to why they were giving so much cushion. Unfortunately for Lacey, he is now doing the same thing.

The first five yards, corners get away with murder and Powers and Tyron use that to their advantage just as the good corners in this league do.

I agree. I haven't given completely up on Lacey just yet. He did have a nice rookie season so the kid can play. Maybe it's a confidence thing right now. Let's hope he improves because HE could very well be the key in how well our defense plays this season.

Barring any injuries he IS the key to how well our defense does this year IMO

Tryon first caught my attention last year in the first Texans game when he went one on one with Johnson and more than held his own against him.

AJ also didn't get as many balls thrown his way if I remember correctly simply because they ran it down our throat the entire game. We won't give up nearly as many yards to Foster this go around, so our corners need to show up. AJ will probably have quite a few balls thrown his way.

AJ also didn't get as many balls thrown his way if I remember correctly simply because they ran it down our throat the entire game. We won't give up nearly as many yards to Foster this go around, so our corners need to show up. AJ will probably have quite a few balls thrown his way.

The first half they tried to go AJ's way a lot and Tryon was all over most of them. He was pretty much the only bright spot after that game that people were happy about.

Powers will be on the opposing teams best WR be it if they are in the slot or on the outside.. he was on donald driver most of the times.

In the cover two you don't match up your corners on a specfic player. One takes the right and the other takes the left. Powers side is the side most teams line up their number one guy on at least it has in the past. I am guessing he'll just move to the nickle for nickle sets and will remain our starting corner on his side of the field.

In the cover two you don't match up your corners on a specfic player. One takes the right and the other takes the left. Powers side is the side most teams line up their number one guy on at least it has in the past. I am guessing he'll just move to the nickle for nickle sets and will remain our starting corner on his side of the field.

I was just about to say no, but then i remembered the texans game... I think this year is gonna be different because powers was always on driver.

Guest BlueShoe

I was just about to say no, but then i remembered the texans game... I think this year is gonna be different because powers was always on driver.

Could have been us switching to nickel when Driver went into the slot.

Could have been us switching to nickel when Driver went into the slot.

It was, he'd move to slot when the Packers brought in the third WR. This is becoming more and more of a trend in the NFL to try to get a miss match on your star WR. I think the Colts moving Powers to the nickle spot to try to counter that some what.

Guest BlueShoe

It was, he'd move to slot when the Packers brought in the third WR. This is becoming more and more of a trend in the NFL to try to get a miss match on your star WR. I think the Colts moving Powers to the nickle spot to try to counter that some what.

Makes sense and teams with a good third WR will be tough for us unless Lacey can pick his game up. It's really our only glaring weakness on defense right now.