Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Sheriff vs. Shady Tom Brady - 10-7-12 - 4:25 EST

oldunclemark

In the tradition of old Sunday westerns on TV....

the former gunslinger...exiled from a place he called home to a far away western town

returns to the scene of many crimes to try to get the best of the shifty-eyed gunsliger who has ruled the east coast for years.

....the old honorable lawmen, hearing questions of age and his quick draw ability..rides his

new horse (a Bronco, instead of a Colt) into the new (England) territory to draw iron on the shady one

..a slickster well know for his pistol packing prowess (and his flashy women).......

...who has honed his skills as a shootist under the evil 'Dollar Bill', the brilliant convicted cheater

and ref beater......

The fast-gun livings legends have exchanged hot lead before and some seemed sure another showdown

would never happen again....but something (maybe the schedule) draws the old gunfighter back to duel his

greatest rival..........and all of America (at least the AFC) holds their breath....

It'd be a better story at high noon....

...but 4:25 Eastern time is good, too.. :cool:

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lmao you have made my day, good sir. Only one of the cowboys is a true patriot at heart though. ;) Should be another good face-off, whoever can pull his gun the fastest wins.

Very true...QB...

Both :manning: are living legends...but one :brady: seems all hat :hat: and no cattle...(at least against the NYGs)

Denver scares me not at all. Doesn't mean that the Patriots may not lose this game, but the Bronco's defense can't contain the Patriots (as we've seen very recently), and the Patriots' greatest weakness (the deep pass) won't be much of a factor, as Peyton can't throw deep very well anymore.

Denver scares me not at all. Doesn't mean that the Patriots may not lose this game, but the Bronco's defense can't contain the Patriots (as we've seen very recently), and the Patriots' greatest weakness (the deep pass) won't be much of a factor, as Peyton can't throw deep very well anymore.

Patriots' weaknesses are down the middle and the middle will be exploited. Ironically, Denver's weaknesses in pass coverage are also down the middle. :)

Who needs to throw deep if you have a wideout that can take a 10 yard pass into a 60-70 yarder with YAC? :)

It will be interesting to watch.

My heart says Denver but my mind says Patriots. Peyton has never won a single game in the back-to-back of a Patriots, Chargers on his schedule - lost both in 2007 & 2010.

Patriots 34 Broncos 31

denvers o line is very good even agaisnt the texans they took away the pass rush there big a pysical and denver can run the ball well and has a deadly pass rush its gonna be a great game

I do think Denver is harder to gameplan for than they were last year. They no longer have Tebow under center, which really bottlenecked the Broncos, especially after teams caught up to Tebow during the end of last season. Everybody was prepared for the option and the college-style offense at the end of the season (save Pittsburgh) and it showed. Heck, so prepared even my Bills who were in shambles at the end of last season put up 40 on the Broncos (with 14 of those points being defensive TDs).

The key for the Broncos is to not get off to a slow start like they did against Atlanta and Houston. You can't wait to be down 21 points to finally click.

Patriots' weaknesses are down the middle and the middle will be exploited. Ironically, Denver's weaknesses in pass coverage are also down the middle. :)

Who needs to throw deep if you have a wideout that can take a 10 yard pass into a 60-70 yarder with YAC? :)

My heart says Denver but my mind says Patriots. Peyton has never won a single game in the back-to-back of a Patriots, Chargers on his schedule - lost both in 2007 & 2010.

Patriots 34 Broncos 31

Yeah, you are right, though our LBs played well with Joe Mays out. Maybe he won't get his starting job back next week. We'll see.

My heart and mind agree with yours. This being a home game for the Pats, I guess I'm going with my mind.

I don't really know where the Broncos is at this point. They can be so hot/cold in even within the same game that I don't know they know. It might just be due to the various levels of opponents. But I do believe they are getting better each week. Peyton said that they had the best week of practice prior to Sunday. I think offense is coming along nicely. If Decker and Thomas can hang on to the ball, we can go far. BTW, they are No.12 & 13 in receiving yards despite all those drops, making the Broncos tied for No. 7 in team receiving:

http://phinsfootball.com/miami-dolphins/stats/leaders?stat=rec_yds&season=2012&utm_campaign=Argyle%2BSocial-2012-10&utm_content=http%253A%252F%252Fphinsfootball.com%252Fmiami-dolphins%252Fstats%252Fleaders%253Fstat%253Drec_yds%2526season%253D2012&utm_medium=Argyle%2BSocial&utm_source=twitter

Patriots 34 Broncos 31

Yeah, you are right, though our LBs played well with Joe Mays out. Maybe he won't get his starting job back next week. We'll see.

My heart and mind agree with yours. This being a home game for the Pats, I guess I'm going with my mind.

I don't really know where the Broncos is at this point. They can be so hot/cold in even within the same game that I don't know they know. It might just be due to the various levels of opponents. But I do believe they are getting better each week. Peyton said that they had the best week of practice prior to Sunday. I think offense is coming along nicely. If Decker and Thomas can hang on to the ball, we can go far. BTW, they are No.12 & 13 in receiving yards despite all those drops, making the Broncos tied for No. 7 in team receiving:

http://phinsfootball..._source=twitter

Del Rios D Scheme Vs Raiders and ? on whether it would work Vs Pats

Against the Raiders, defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio worked a seven-defensive back look into the regular rotation. It added cornerback Chris Harris, the team's usual addition in the nickel package, as the fifth defensive back to go with safeties David Bruton and Jim Leonhard as the sixth and seventh defensive backs.

In all, it gave the Broncos three cornerbacks and four safeties on the field with two linebackers and two defensive linemen. No defenders were in a three-point stance at the snap, and the Broncos were constantly shifting and moving in those pre-snap seconds to hide who was actually going to go after Raiders quarterback Carson Palmer.

"We were just trying to confuse Carson a little bit — he knows a lot — we just wanted to get in his head a little bit," said Broncos safety Mike Adams.

The question will now be whether it is a realistic option against the Patriots. Tom Brady isn't one to leave the pocket, so effective pressure can reach him if it gets there on the initial push.

But that is the rub. If defenses don't get to Brady in the first wave, he routinely makes them pay for the attempt. With seven defensive backs on the field, the Broncos would also have to hold up against the run, especially since the Patriots sport two bigger backs plenty of the time in the 225-pound Stevan Ridley and the 215-pound rookie Brandon Bolden.

With tight end Rob Gronkowski to go with wide receivers Wes Welker and Brandon Lloyd in the pass pattern, the Patriots can stress the one-on-one coverages left behind any blitz package far more than the Raiders could. So a defensive gamble could be even a bigger bet against Brady and the Patriots.

Read more:Broncos defense befuddles Raiders with seven defensive backs - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpos...s#ixzz285GMkeFz

Against the Raiders, defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio worked a seven-defensive back look into the regular rotation. It added cornerback Chris Harris, the team's usual addition in the nickel package, as the fifth defensive back to go with safeties David Bruton and Jim Leonhard as the sixth and seventh defensive backs.

In all, it gave the Broncos three cornerbacks and four safeties on the field with two linebackers and two defensive linemen. No defenders were in a three-point stance at the snap, and the Broncos were constantly shifting and moving in those pre-snap seconds to hide who was actually going to go after Raiders quarterback Carson Palmer.

"We were just trying to confuse Carson a little bit — he knows a lot — we just wanted to get in his head a little bit," said Broncos safety Mike Adams.

The question will now be whether it is a realistic option against the Patriots. Tom Brady isn't one to leave the pocket, so effective pressure can reach him if it gets there on the initial push.

But that is the rub. If defenses don't get to Brady in the first wave, he routinely makes them pay for the attempt. With seven defensive backs on the field, the Broncos would also have to hold up against the run, especially since the Patriots sport two bigger backs plenty of the time in the 225-pound Stevan Ridley and the 215-pound rookie Brandon Bolden.

With tight end Rob Gronkowski to go with wide receivers Wes Welker and Brandon Lloyd in the pass pattern, the Patriots can stress the one-on-one coverages left behind any blitz package far more than the Raiders could. So a defensive gamble could be even a bigger bet against Brady and the Patriots.

Read more:Broncos defense befuddles Raiders with seven defensive backs - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpos...s#ixzz285GMkeFz

Thanks, Barry, for the interesting read. I was surprised to see so many corner/safty blitz in the 2nd half. I don't know if they will try this against the Pats but I'd be very nervous about that.

If the blitz is picked up and JDR blitzes heavily, you are toast, IMO. Rush 5 at the most and play good coverage, you stand a chance vs Brady.

The Amoeba look is good for pass D if you know the QB has pass happy tendencies and will choose to pass more times than not. If the QB has a good running game, and chooses to use it early on to grind the D slowly, the Amoeba is not as effective. Amoeba was used by JDR because the Broncos had a lead.

In the tradition of old Sunday westerns on TV....

the former gunslinger...exiled from a place he called home to a far away western town

returns to the scene of many crimes to try to get the best of the shifty-eyed gunsliger who has ruled the east coast for years.

....the old honorable lawmen, hearing questions of age and his quick draw ability..rides his

new horse (a Bronco, instead of a Colt) into the new (England) territory to draw iron on the shady one

..a slickster well know for his pistol packing prowess (and his flashy women).......

...who has honed his skills as a shootist under the evil 'Dollar Bill', the brilliant convicted cheater

and ref beater......

The fast-gun livings legends have exchanged hot lead before and some seemed sure another showdown

would never happen again....but something (maybe the schedule) draws the old gunfighter back to duel his

greatest rival..........and all of America (at least the AFC) holds their breath....

great job with the story line . . . thought you were going thrown in something about Brady's hair . . . :thmsup:

high noon is best, but 425 does provide a sunset for one of the fighters . . .

Odd that they wanted Chargers and Saints on SNF over this game...

With that said even if Peyton isn't a Colt he will always have my support when going up against Pie errr Tom Brady.

true but Brees going for breaking Johnny U's 50 something year record easily trumps the brady manning duo . . . I think SNF wanted that game starting last year once people started to do the numbers to figure out which game in 2012 he would be able to break the record . . .

I bet the Cardinals didn't scare you either.

actually i was more worried about the Cardinals than most, given the fact they were like 8 out of their last 10 prior to playing us . . .

Denver will be tough tho, they really played well yesterday . . . if we are able to contain PM, I like our chances . ..

for me if the Pats are able to come close to the run game they had against the Bills, then it will be tough for them to be in nickel and/or packages with more DBs/LBs . . . we'll have to see what happens . . . it should be a fun game . . . and could also have playoff implications if boeth teams have the good fortune to make the playoffs . . .

actually i was more worried about the Cardinals than most, given the fact they were like 8 out of their last 10 prior to playing us . . .

Denver will be tough tho, they really played well yesterday . . . if we are able to contain PM, I like our chances . ..

I'm curious to see how BB addresses all that dink-n-dunk intermediate stuff that PM will be throwing at them,

I'm curious to see how BB addresses all that dink-n-dunk intermediate stuff that PM will be throwing at them,

not sure yet . . . i do know BB's MO is to take away your best asset, and as PM is Denver's best asset, he might clog the middle like the Jets did to us in the '10 divisional playoff game . . .

for me if the Pats are able to come close to the run game they had against the Bills, then it will be tough for them to be in nickel and/or packages with more DBs/LBs . . . we'll have to see what happens . . . it should be a fun game . . . and could also have playoff implications if boeth teams have the good fortune to make the playoffs . . .

With BB making game plan, and usually great halftime ajustmentrs anything is posible , would take their staff over Denver, Peyton admits still learning system & new plays was yesterdays game meaning he is now comfortable with recivers or was iit just the right calls and no few drops, DT had going intro last wwekend games most drops , 20 % ogf all recivers, Decker not far behind

Then when DT catches like last game and gets great screen run he fumblesi near endzone away , while being untouched trying , to switch arms so could use stiff arm with defender and thats the arm that had the ball initially

U just dont know what to expect yet

Have a good night

true but Brees going for breaking Johnny U's 50 something year record easily trumps the brady manning duo . . . I think SNF wanted that game starting last year once people started to do the numbers to figure out which game in 2012 he would be able to break the record . . .

That's true but I would have figured that they would have scheduled Manning vs Brady another week for SNF. Oh well what is done is done.

I don't really think Brees going for the record trumps the manning/brady match-up. In my opinion, most of the country would be more interested in seeing 2 hof qbs go at it, rather than whether brees can throw a td.

They probably didnt imagine the saints being 0-4 though. The saints current record makes brees throwing tds quite meaningless since it isn't resulting in wins.

Of course I'm biased though :)

Plus, part of me doesnt like seeing unitas' record get broken in that manner (brees throwing it seemingly 60 times every game).

I don't really think Brees going for the record trumps the manning/brady match-up. In my opinion, most of the country would be more interested in seeing 2 hof qbs go at it, rather than whether brees can throw a td.

They probably didnt imagine the saints being 0-4 though. The saints current record makes brees throwing tds quite meaningless since it isn't resulting in wins.

Plus, part of me doesnt like seeing unitas' record get broken in that manner (brees throwing it seemingly 60 times every game).

yah they could of put one of them on MNF and other on SNF, both have great meaning and would be nice to for all to see Manning against Brady with the former's new team . . . and it being the first one too . . . also, not sure if both teams will be playing each year like the colts/pats have done for 10 years . . . maybe this might one of a few meaning, hopefully there will be more . .

yah Unitas record was only of those things we thought would last more than two generations like Dimaggi hiting streak, Ted Williams 400 season, and more recent Yaz triple crown . . .

we are in a passing league but then again no one is guaranteed the record as Farve was the closest . .. altho i do remember Brees throwing a lot late in a game last year to secure a TD for the game . . .

With BB making game plan, and usually great halftime ajustmentrs anything is posible , would take their staff over Denver, Peyton admits still learning system & new plays was yesterdays game meaning he is now comfortable with recivers or was iit just the right calls and no few drops, DT had going intro last wwekend games most drops , 20 % ogf all recivers, Decker not far behind

Then when DT catches like last game and gets great screen run he fumblesi near endzone away , while being untouched trying , to switch arms so could use stiff arm with defender and thats the arm that had the ball initially

U just dont know what to expect yet

Have a good night

yah it should be a good game . . . it would be nice if we secure the win, just in case we need it for a tiebreaker if we both have teh good fortune to make the playoffs . . . .i think BB will be able to game plan, just gotta hope our players can execute the game plan . . .

1024.jpg?md=1349135997000

To me, the first thing BB forces Peyton to do is throw across his body in the 15-30 yard range to his left. He will play aggressive in the 5-15 yard range to the right and left and the 15-30 yard range on the right more often. He did that in the 2009 SNF game too (the 4th & 2 game).

Peyton struggled first because Garcon could not beat press coverage on the immediate right, then Wayne could not do so on the immediate left. Finally Peyton started running crossing routes to Clark and Wayne on the backside to the blind side (left side) past the 15 yard distance and picked up chunks of yardage. With Peyton coming off surgeries, the take-no-prisoners-style-of-BB will test Peyton's ability to throw across 20 to 30 yards and see if he can pull it off successfully in a consistent fashion. I can almost bet that will happen.

BB will also force Peyton to take smaller chunks if he is ahead in the game. So, if he has 2 DBs covering 2 wideouts on the right side, the one covering the closest one will play off him and force a tighter window for Peyton to throw to by squeezing the gap between the DB behind the farther wideout and the DB behind the closer wideout. Peyton needs to be patient in those cases and take the safer but smaller chunk of yardage, otherwise he will be picked off.

Problem is the Pats lost their home opener. This is their second home game.

I have a tough time seeing NE losing back to back home games (especially after being on the road for two weeks) but what the heck do I know. The Chargers game is more important then this game for Denver anyway.

Problem is the Pats lost their home opener. This is their second home game.

I have a tough time seeing NE losing back to back home games (especially after being on the road for two weeks) but what the heck do I know. The Chargers game is more important then this game for Denver anyway.

True. Maybe Peyton goes 1-1 in Patriots-Chargers back-to-back games after all after going 0-2 in 2007 & 2010. :(

New team, new kind of history.

Matt Ryan, on the other hand, is following the Peyton pattern. 0-3 to start playoff career, and then makes NFCCG (like Peyton did with AFCCG)??? The question is - who, like the Patriots, a stellar defensive team in 2003 when Peyton made his first AFCCG, is going to stop Ryan and the Falcons in the NFCCG? Eagles, 49ers are my first 2 candidates.

At the beginning of the year, I called a Falcons vs Eagles NFCCG and Steelers/Ravens vs Texans AFCCG. Not sure who the Saints fans would want to cheer for if that NFCCG happens, an ex-Falcon who won at their stadium or a current Falcon??? :)

yah they could of put one of them on MNF and other on SNF, both have great meaning and would be nice to for all to see Manning against Brady with the former's new team . . . and it being the first one too . . . also, not sure if both teams will be playing each year like the colts/pats have done for 10 years . . . maybe this might one of a few meaning, hopefully there will be more . .

yah Unitas record was only of those things we thought would last more than two generations like Dimaggi hiting streak, Ted Williams 400 season, and more recent Yaz triple crown . . .

we are in a passing league but then again no one is guaranteed the record as Farve was the closest . .. altho i do remember Brees throwing a lot late in a game last year to secure a TD for the game . . .

u ALSO cant compare the time frame , took Unitas longer as over 5 years when u consider a 12 game schedule,. and games he was out due to injury and game back steller and kept throwing TDs, many games with 3 or 4 not just one, then again look when he played, it wasnt too QB Friendly at all

Brees getting record deserves Of Course it but Unitas will always be unitas & belive he did it in harder times

In the interest of Being fair, let me say I grew up with unitas as my favorite player and colts favorite team, of Course I am biased, even have an oficial NFL OLD football, #'d 137 of 500 only, signed & inscribed by Unitas with that record saying 47 consecutive games TD pass , in beutiful silver ink and signed with clarity of all letters , even signature

. .

EDITED For spelling & clarity & ADDED PARTS

BUT RAN OUT OF ALLOWED TIME AS MY DISABILITY MAKES IT LONG TO EDIT / TYPE so had do new comment

u ALSO cant compare the time frame , took Unitas longer as over 5 years when u consider a 12 game schedule,. and the 2 games in a row in 58 he missed due to injury and came back to throw a 58 yarder & a 12 yarder in his next game on 18 attempts going 12 for 18 , many games with 3 or 4 not just one, then again look when he played, it wasn't too QB Friendly at all

Brees getting record deserves Of Course it but Unitas will always be Unitas & believe he did it in far harder times

In the interest of Being fair, let me say I grew up with unitas as my favorite player and colts favorite team, of Course I am biased, even have an oficial NFL OLD football, #'d 137 of 500 only, signed & inscribed by Unitas with that record saying 47 consecutive games TD pass , in beutiful silver ink and signed with clarity of all letters , even signature

My book on him list every game and pass, date , yardage who caught it , completions & attempts etc in a separate section (Book is forwarded 1 by Peyton, 1 by Art Donovan )

Unitas often only attempted passes in the teens during that streak, though no where near most of the time,

and in 1 game had only 9 attempts, that was on 11/3/57, with a td to beery

streak was from 12/9/56 to through, 12/4/60, failed to throw 1 on 12 /11/60

few TD's were less than 10 yards btw and many over 50,

in 1 game threw with 16 attempts, 10/30/60 4 td's of 68,52,70, & 20 yards

can u tell I love the guy

Its true, B

and in those days...you could do literally anything to the receiver..

You could rip his helmet off and it was legal...

Those were MUCH tougher times for passing...the football was different. It was slightly rounder..

..even Brees would say (I hope) that what Unitas did was toguher

great job with the story line . . . thought you were going thrown in something about Brady's hair . . . :thmsup:

high noon is best, but 425 does provide a sunset for one of the fighters . . .

Thanks..I watch the oldies TV channel a lot...I just wish I'd spelled everything correctly....Spelling is a skill ...

Let's clean it up.

""In the tradition of old Sunday westerns on TV....

the former gunslinger...exiled from a place he called his home to a far away western town in the sky...

returns to the scene of many crimes to try to get the best of the shifty-eyed gunslinger who has ruled the east coast for years.

....the old honorable lawman, hearing questions of age and doubt his quick draw ability..rides his

new horse (a Bronco, instead of a Colt) into the new (England) territory to draw iron one more time on the shady one

...a younger darkj haired lethario who has honed his skills as a shootist under the evil 'Dollar Bill', the brilliant convicted cheater

and ref beater......

The fast-gun living legends have exchanged hot lead before but some seemed sure another showdown

would never happen again....until something (maybe the schedule) drew the old gunfighter back to duel his

greatest rival in the sunset..........as all of America (at least the AFC) holds their breath...""

Its true, B

and in those days...you could do literally anything to the receiver..

You could rip his helmet off and it was legal...

Those were MUCH tougher times for passing...the football was different. It was slightly rounder..

..even Brees would say (I hope) that what Unitas did was toguher

SORRY 1 final note

BUT UNITAS JUST GETS TO MY PASSION WATCHING HIS ENTIRE CAREER

& forgive me as know this is all off topic but was brought up by another first

save for 8 paases, all of unitas td's went to 3 players only beery, lenny moore, mutcheller,( the other WR )

of thos 8 there was 1 to ameche, then a few 2 other names , dupree & later someone named hawkins

It wasnt like he had a ton of Weapons

The Bills ran a nickle package for almost the entire game, daring the Patriots to run on them. They did. Two guys with 100+ yards on the ground, and they still got 350 yards out of Brady.

This concept goes back to the playoff game the Patriots lost a couple of years back to the Jets. In that game, the Jets played mostly with 6 or even 7 DBs, but the Pats did not take the run. That's one thing that's drastically changed in the past couple of years. If you load up against the pass, the Patriots can run the ball now, with some pretty impressive power. Ridley is an upgrade over Green-Ellis and Bolden had a breakout game last week.

The Broncos' defense doesn't match up as well against New England's offense. They're smaller and faster, but they can be pushed around. And if the run game gets going like it has against Tennessee and Buffalo, that leaves the opponent vulnerable to play-action, where Brady has excelled and gotten the matchups he wants (Lloyd one-on-one, Welker covered by a nickle corner or slower LB or safety, and Gronk in single coverage, which is so lopsided it's almost unfair).

On defense, from what I've seen, the goal is to make Manning move. Preferably to his left, but even moving right his arm strength seems off still. The Patriots' vulnerability on defense continues to be mid-to-intermediate range passes right now. Manning will hit the underneath stuff all day, but that may not be enough to keep up if the Pats can score points the way they should. With a few exceptions (one long catch-and-run against Buffalo) they've tackled very well this season and are not giving up a lot of YAC.

Of course, anything can happen. But given that the Patriots basically destroyed the Broncos twice at the end of last year, I like their chances this weekend. Manning is of course a different guy to prepare for than Tebow, but the NE offense versus the Denver defense is a good match-up for NE.