Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No Need For Another True Nt?

Mouthfire

I've heard before that the Colts were comfortable with Mookie as the only true NT on our roster, and I was a bit skeptical. The thought being, they could just have two UT's rushing, and be okay with it.

I'm less skeptical after watching last night's game. Tommy Harris was playing the NT for a good number of snaps, and was making some good plays from that spot.

I think the personnel we had out there last night really stepped it up. I think we are fine on the defensive line this year; especially if everyone stays healthy. I actually have a feeling we can stop the run. It's like Christmas in August :excited: . I think we will save our last few dollars of cap room in case we need to sign someone mid-season to replace someone due to injury.

I think we are done signing people. We don't need to go look for a NT to sign unless we have injuries in camp. As of now, I am fine with who we have on the roster. The D-line played pretty well last night.

A veteran CB? A replacement for Vaughn? :yes:

I think we are done signing people. We don't need to go look for a NT to sign unless we have injuries in camp. As of now, I am fine with who we have on the roster. The D-line played pretty well last night.

I don't think were done signing people. Over the next couple of weeks there are gonna be a lot of cuts and some of them could be guys we could use.

Guest BlueShoe

I've heard before that the Colts were comfortable with Mookie as the only true NT on our roster, and I was a bit skeptical. The thought being, they could just have two UT's rushing, and be okay with it.

I'm less skeptical after watching last night's game. Tommy Harris was playing the NT for a good number of snaps, and was making some good plays from that spot.

If we stay healthy, our D-Line will be very good. Same for our linebackers. I think we will contain the run much better this year than we have in the past. We might have a game or two where we have a hiccup, but overall I think we have greatly improved our front seven.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really hope Tommie Harris makes this team. If we cut him, we will have a weaker defense for it. We haven't had a guy capable of getting a push up the middle like he does since Freeney and Mathis have beer here. He makes their jobs MUCH easier, and they should be his biggest advocates to make the team. Teams always step up in the pocket on us to neutralize Freeney and Mathis. With a guy like Harris, QBs are often forced to step out of the pocket and it's easy pickens for the best two pass rushers off of the ends in the game today.

A veteran CB? A replacement for Vaughn? :yes:

I don't know if we need a vet. I would be happy with Tryon and Powers starting, I don't want to see us break the bank to get a CB. There are some decent corners out there still available, but I don't want to sign any if they are too expensive. I would be fine with us bringing in an undrafted rookie or two just for depth. We would still have Powers, Tryon, Lacey, Thomas and Rucker...and I think a few other guys I'm forgetting...

You can bet that there will be more signings...at least to the practice squad. Most teams will start cutting down their rosters after game 3 and 4...some of these guys are good players but because of depth, they can't make the active rosters. These are the "gems" that CP and BP have been very good at finding over the years.

I think I read they had around 7 million left. That could have been before Collins signed though.

Collins is taking $4M of that, so I think we have roughly $3M left over. I think we will save it in case we need a mid-season signing due to an injured player. I don't wanna put all of our eggs into one basket and be screwed if someone gets injured. That's my :2c: anyway

Collins is taking $4M of that, so I think we have roughly $3M left over. I think we will save it in case we need a mid-season signing due to an injured player. I don't wanna put all of our eggs into one basket and be screwed if someone gets injured. That's my :2c: anyway

Yeah, I couldn't remember if the 7 mil was before or after Collins. I do think there is a chance there could be some tinkering with the roster after the cuts are made from other teams, but it won't be anything big.

I think people are getting worked up a little much about the poistion titles. For what it's worth Foster and Moala were the starters last night. I don't think the Colts care much about the titles they use a rotation of DTs more than they do a rotation of UTs and NTs. Harris looked like the pro-bowl Harris last night. I am not even sure if Johnson played. Nevis and Matthews also played well. The Colts already have some hard choices to make at DT without adding to it. For the first time in years I feel good about our DTs situation going into the season.