Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tim Jennings On MVP List

unitaswestand

Funny that www.nfl.com lists Tim Jennings as an MVP candidate. But it does underscore that I think we too often as fans jump on players without knowing the whole situation of what is going on. I think the defense we were playing made every cornerback we had look bad. Revis would have sucked too in my opinion. Jennings was not a bad player. So something to think about while we rip our corners right now.

I think that should be applied to our RBs as well. Donald Brown gets ripped terribly all over the place. But look what Andre Brown is doing with the Giants. Here's a guy who couldn't even make our team and did little while he was here. He is a 100 yard rusher with the Giants. I believe if Donald Brown were on the Giants, he would be a 1200-1400 yard rusher. It is the line that is our problem as many people have also pointed out.

I do wish Delone Carter would play a bit more. Not sure if he is still hurt. Where I think Carter could be very effective is that he is a north-south runner. Our other three runningbacks dance more. I think Moore is redundant and I hope soon he is the one deactived and Carter plays.

That just shows you how much we as fans know... no matter how much you pull out your "tape" we dont know as much as we would like to.

I'm not sure what it'll take to get people to understand. Jennings is a great DB that was playing here under a terrible system.

eh he is having the best year of his career, congrats to him but can he repeat it? Also 1 thing to take into account is he has also had 31 starts in Chicago in his first three years there compared to 16 starts through his first 3 years in Indy, He has played better yes but not significantly until this year and remember 2 of his picks were in Lucks first real NFL game

Impossible to stress how bad the previous system was

Exactly. There are many different factors that could account for the change in his play. He could have gotten bigger, faster, and stronger. His coaches in Chicago might do a few things to tweak his technique that the coaches here didn't do. The system is different. He's also older and more mature and probably understands the game better than he did in his time in Indy.

Funny that www.nfl.com lists Tim Jennings as an MVP candidate. But it does underscore that I think we too often as fans jump on players without knowing the whole situation of what is going on. I think the defense we were playing made every cornerback we had look bad. Revis would have sucked too in my opinion. Jennings was not a bad player. So something to think about while we rip our corners right now.

I think that should be applied to our RBs as well. Donald Brown gets ripped terribly all over the place. But look what Andre Brown is doing with the Giants. Here's a guy who couldn't even make our team and did little while he was here. He is a 100 yard rusher with the Giants. I believe if Donald Brown were on the Giants, he would be a 1200-1400 yard rusher. It is the line that is our problem as many people have also pointed out.

I do wish Delone Carter would play a bit more. Not sure if he is still hurt. Where I think Carter could be very effective is that he is a north-south runner. Our other three runningbacks dance more. I think Moore is redundant and I hope soon he is the one deactived and Carter plays.

Did u ever think that Jennings is playing on better def which is making him better covering up his weaknesses

He's still the same kind of zone corner, he just plays his man tighter than he did here. Not sure why drafting Tim Jennings in the 2nd round would qualify as a Bill Polian 'genius pick'. Second rounders should be contributers to the team. He wasn't a contributer while he was here....unless you count giving up easy 10 yard completions and making the tackle after the first down marker as a contribution. In Chicago he's been a regular starter, and actually very underrated, but that doesn't make him any better while he was here. Kelvin Hayden plays for the Bears too, but he was a borderline beast for a little while here, and now he's no better than a Dimeback.

Also, I hate it when people point out some late round player that Polian drafted as evidence of a great GM. Every GM picks late round players that make solid contributions. Jay Ratliff was a 7th rounder, does that mean Jerry Jones is a great GM?

Come on.....

Just to talk about the Bears and Colts game, had Luck not underthrown Avery or Adams, Jennings two INT's could have EASILY been two TD's for the Colts. Avery and Adams had him beat BADLY (by atleast 5 yards). Jennings was the beneficiary of two poorly thrown balls rather than him outright making tremendous INT's off the receiver. I'm happy to see him getting recognition, but MVP worthy? I don't think so...

It was always the system. Bend but don't break yeah right. More like "bend over" or "waste time by letting the opposing team run us down and then let Peyton score."

I hated the old system too BUT.....I kinda wish we had that scheme set for the last minute of the jags game. Had we set our safeties deep and stood our DB's way off the receivers, we're most likely 2-1 right now.

I'm not calling for the old system, just sayin. I'm not sure what our D-coordinator was thinking.

I'm not sure what it'll take to get people to understand. Jennings is a great DB that was playing here under a terrible system.

Hes had a few good games / amazing picks - can he maintain or were they simply a fluke? Lets see where he is at in another 3-5 games and then reassess again at seasons end...

Hes had a few good games / amazing picks - can he maintain or were they simply a fluke? Lets see where he is at in another 3-5 games and then reassess again at seasons end...

Early season MVP candidates typically dissipate over time and are replaced by more traditional stars. Jennings, regardless of this seemingly arbitrary MVP issue, shows signs of becoming a solid cover man. Not cut from the cloth of a Revis, but still a very desirable DB nonetheless.

I've noticed that when people gauge DB's they often do so in err. It seems that when the media (and fans) rate DB's, they do so only by reviewing the black and white print on paper. As in....how many INT's.

Many aspects of great DB play are subtle and proper evaluation requires actual intensive tape review.

I hated the old system too BUT.....I kinda wish we had that scheme set for the last minute of the jags game. Had we set our safeties deep and stood our DB's way off the receivers, we're most likely 2-1 right now.

I'm not calling for the old system, just sayin. I'm not sure what our D-coordinator was thinking.

I think that was more of the players messing up (safties) then the scheme.

No one mentions the "confidence" factor. Probably as big as speed , cover skills or ball skills. Could be just as simpl

Exactly. There are many different factors that could account for the change in his play. He could have gotten bigger, faster, and stronger. His coaches in Chicago might do a few things to tweak his technique that the coaches here didn't do. The system is different. He's also older and more mature and probably understands the game better than he did in his time in Indy.

The thing that no one has mentioned yet is the "confidence" factor. Probably as important for a CB as spped , cover skills or ball skills. It could be that Jennings was burnt a few time in Indy and was playing scared. I think now it's pretty obvious he's paying the possition like he believes he's a great CB.