Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darrelle Revis available after 2013 Season

With his season ending injury, an interesting scenario could develop with Revis' contract situation. The Jets could be reluctant to extend him before next season due to his injury, which would mean he would become an unrestricted free agent after the 2013 season since he cannot be franchised under his contract.

With that in mind, should we hold off on spending a lot of our money until then? Think about a secondary with Bethea, Vontae, Powers, and Revis! Vontae hasnt been great up to now, but he still hasnt been here very long, so he will get better. He has too much talent to not be better.

Im still fine with getting 4 or 5 solid players(possible starters) this next offseason. But I dont see any studs being available so might as well not spend too much of our cap space until they become available.

If we could do it -- provided (A) the Jets screwed up their negotiations and (B) Revis proves he's healthy in 2013, and © we have the cap space in the spring of 2014, then I think it would be great if we could pull it off.

But, A, B and C would all have to happen for us to get lucky. And even then, we'd have to show Revis that we're a contender.

He does not strike me as a guy who'd want to play for a team simply trying to make the playoffs.

He strikes me as someone who would want to play for a team that's a Super Bowl contender. Hopefully, by the spring of 2014, we can be making that move. Another good FA class, and another good draft hopefully would put us in the conversation, but we may be getting ahead of ourselves. (Ya think!)

Personally, I really like the idea/concept. I hope someday we can get another corner like Revis who is a legit #1 and make Davis the #2 and Powers the 3rd corner. Then, we'd be covered. But that's somewhere down the road....

IMO....Revis just moved from simply being in the the high salary/high reward category into the high risk/high reward category with this ACL tear.

And I also believe our free agency pursuits should start at OG, LB and DT....with the idea that the Vontae Davis trade, although not completely cementing the secondary, hopefully will have helped it enough and allows us to focus on these other chronic, frustrating weaknesses of ours.

IMO....Revis just moved from simply being in the the high salary/high reward category into the high risk/high reward category with this ACL tear.

And I also believe our free agency pursuits should start at OG, LB and DT....with the idea that the Vontae Davis trade, although not completely cementing the secondary, hopefully will have helped it enough and allows us to focus on these other chronic, frustrating weaknesses of ours.

Remember, we're not talking about the Free Agency that's coming in 2013.

We're talking about the Free Agency for 2014. Revis has one more year (2013) on his contract.

So, hopefully, we can fill some of our FA needs in 2013. But, if things break right for us, maybe an unexpected gift in 2014?

The chances of all this happening are .001 percent... maybe. But, it's fun to hope for....

Remember, we're not talking about the Free Agency that's coming in 2013.

We're talking about the Free Agency for 2014. Revis has one more year (2013) on his contract.

So, hopefully, we can fill some of our FA needs in 2013. But, if things break right for us, maybe an unexpected gift in 2014?

The chances of all this happening are .001 percent... maybe. But, it's fun to hope for....

Ooooops...thanks for the reminder....my brain is already in 2013 and the cap space we'll have.:)

At least by 2014 we'd know how close back to form Revis is....and HOPEFULLY we'll have some of those other positions fixed.

I'm all about us being smart with our cap dollars.

It's definitely a long shot, but if the opportunity presented itself and we don't have to blow up our cap space on Revis, then heck yeah.