Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Linkenbach Does Not Cut It At Right Tackle

chad72

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3-4-IND 45 (12:52) (Shotgun) 7-C.Painter sacked at IND 40 for -5 yards (52-C.Matthews).

3-1-IND 24 (10:29) 7-C.Painter sacked at IND 19 for -5 yards (97-V.So'oto). FUMBLES (97-V.So'oto) [97-V.So'oto], RECOVERED by GB-94-J.Wynn at IND 20. 94-J.Wynn to IND 20 for no gain (71-R.Diem). Minus 4 sack yards.

Both times the guy just ran around Link like he was not there.

I too was disapointed with Jeff Linkenbach's performance Friday night.

However...

Link has always lined up on the left side, and now the Colts have him playing the right tackle position.

Link started in the Jets playoff game at RT.
The first sack came against all pro Clay Matthews.
Mathews is good, but it was also the same Mathews that Eldridge block and Eldridge won every battle against Mathews that I saw.
The second sack was against rookie Vic So'oto (who looks like he will also be a beast pass rusher)
Of course he does, he was going up against Link :)

Last year Linkenbach played very well at LT in a few games.

That is a misconception. He played two games at LT when CJ was injured and both games the Colts did horrible in the running game and Manning was pressured more per pass attempt than any other game and a huge reason for that was Link.
True he got beat and gave up a couple sacks against the Packers.

But it was only one preseason game.

I think Link will make improvements and end up having a nice year at RT.

If he had been playing well in the other preseason games then I would completely agree. But he has been horrible in all three preseason games. Against the Skins he gave up two sacks and numerous pressures and that was against the 2nd and 3rd stringers. Against the Rams in the opening when he was the starting LT he was beat consistently. I would have to go back and look at my notes but I think he allowed a sack in that game as well.

He will improve. It's only his second season, and he hasn't had a set position to play with all of the injuries. If he doesn't improve, Ijalana will improve and quickly take his spot. I'm just excited our line is big, young, and might be able to help run the ball this year.

He will improve. It's only his second season, and he hasn't had a set position to play with all of the injuries. If he doesn't improve, Ijalana will improve and quickly take his spot. I'm just excited our line is big, young, and might be able to help run the ball this year.

Yea me as well, I think the run game will be much improved

The only right tackles in the NFL that haven't been beat by Clay Matthews are the ones that haven't played him yet. He's one of the best pass rushers in the NFL. Saying Link can't cut it at right tackle (maybe he can't) because he got beat by Clay Matthews is kind of unfair. Dwight Freeney can't be blocked one on one by anyone in the league. He used to beat Jonathan Ogden like a ragdoll, and he was one of the best. You win 80% of the time even as a bad lineman; it's the other 20% that separate the elites from the waiver heap players. Link isn't our long-term solution at right tackle, and maybe we can do better than him right now, but him getting beat by Matthews is a non-story. That dude beats everyone.

Doens't make up for the fact Vuc Si'oto did the same thing to him. It didn't matter if you had matthews there or a rookie, he looked like he had an extremely hard time against speed. It was as if he was in quicksand.

Which play are you talking about vs. Si'oto? I was sort of distracted watching the game.

I don't think we have a right tackle who wouldn't struggle against speed right now. Diem has been struggling for three years now. And Ijalana is more green than Link is, but he's the long term solution.

One final thing and I'll get off my high horse...

While the sacks were one eyebrow raising issue with Link, I also noticed things like this; The DE lines up on Links right shoulder. On the snap the DE crashes inside into Diem. Link turns his back to his gap and doubles the DE. The LB, who was standing directly behind the DE, storms straight into the backfield, untouched, right through Links vacated gap. 2 blockers, 2 rushers and one rockets through scot free. That's not a new rush technique. Where's the pre-snap awareness? Where's the peripheral vision? Where’s the full year of NFL experience? The RB's were cleaning this stuff up at a feverish rate. Pardon me for sounding off so harshly, but that right side will be looking eye-to-eye with Mario Williams in a little over a week and that was an alarming display for an NFL "starter". Ouch!

The only right tackles in the NFL that haven't been beat by Clay Matthews are the ones that haven't played him yet. He's one of the best pass rushers in the NFL. Saying Link can't cut it at right tackle (maybe he can't) because he got beat by Clay Matthews is kind of unfair. Dwight Freeney can't be blocked one on one by anyone in the league. He used to beat Jonathan Ogden like a ragdoll, and he was one of the best. You win 80% of the time even as a bad lineman; it's the other 20% that separate the elites from the waiver heap players. Link isn't our long-term solution at right tackle, and maybe we can do better than him right now, but him getting beat by Matthews is a non-story. That dude beats everyone.

I could buy that if it was only Clay Matthews that beat him this year. He got owned by the Redskins second string d-end this pre-season as well. I would be willing to bet most right tackles in the NFL could handle the Redskins second string d-end.

Now this makes as much sense as asking Saturday to move into the QB spot because he has been in front of Peyton for so long and allow Pollack to take up the center spot. Moving AC to rt gaurd is putting the oline backwards and his progress. Sometimes, others just have to step up and do their job instead of making people who are doing their jobs, cover for those who don't. Just not the right move to make.

I just thought when it was the 3rd preseason game that Ben should've got a shot at playing in his natural position just like Anthony did. The move does make sense, Anthony should've played right tackle as well. You never know what could happen until you try every possible move.

Yep. And nothing I've seen since leads me to believe that was an anomoly. If I had my way, we cut him and roll the dice with Ijalana at tackle.

I would too. Best way to learn is to get out there and do it. I won't believe for a second that Ijalana can be any worse.

I just thought when it was the 3rd preseason game that Ben should've got a shot at playing in his natural position just like Anthony did. The move does make sense, Anthony should've played right tackle as well. You never know what could happen until you try every possible move.

No point. Castonzo was basically named the starting LT as soon as he was drafted. It was set in stone when CJ left.

They said early on that they expected Ijilana to be the RT, and when those decisions are made, playing those players at other positions makes zero sense and makes the guys that said it look more like buffoons than they already do at times.

Link isnt the greatest obviously...but I still say he is serviceable as a backup to both tackle spots.

Maybe he will get cut, who knows...but then again, how many Tackles are on the Colts roster?