Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Curtis Painter?

Andy

Was that him tonight, playing... clear throat... well. I mean don't go crazy over the Wayne TD, he was wide open, even I could do that. I was more impressed with the drives he lead down the field, leading to a score, and unfortunately a missed field goal. Good game, let's see how he follows it up. Thoughts on his performance?

I'm sorry, but I thought it was average, at best. His completion% was low, he had some pretty shaky passes, and he just didn't set the world on fire to make the decision to start him if we have to.

His TD to Wayne should be credited to the defense as much as anyone. When you blow coverage that bad, any QB who isn't blind (And even most that are) could have made that play.

He was better under pressure tonight, and made a good play or two... His pass to Brooks was a great play.

But when 75% of what he's ever shown us has been bad by and large, one good game doesn't change everything.

I was impressed, his best from what I have seen. He actually looked like he could lead them to a win if he started during the regular season. If he can repeat that performance next week I wouldn't mind seeing him start in Houston on a short lease. I wonder if the possibility of losing his spot lit a fire under him?

I'm sorry, but I thought it was average, at best. His completion% was low, he had some pretty shaky passes, and he just didn't set the world on fire to make the decision to start him if we have to.

His TD to Wayne should be credited to the defense as much as anyone. When you blow coverage that bad, any QB who isn't blind (And even most that are) could have made that play.

He was better under pressure tonight, and made a good play or two... His pass to Brooks was a great play.

But when 75% of what he's ever shown us has been bad by and large, one good game doesn't change everything.

But it was a good game for Painter.

2 touchdowns, no INTs is good game for any backup...

Like I said, it would have been a crime for him to blow the TD to Reggie. You can't credit Painter for that one 1/10 as much as you can the Packers blowing the coverage.

The TD to Brooks was good. No argument from me.

No picks is good.

But his completion percentage was below 50%, and some of the passes he missed were pretty ugly.

Like I said, it would have been a crime for him to blow the TD to Reggie. You can't credit Painter for that one 1/10 as much as you can the Packers blowing the coverage.

No picks is good.

But his completion percentage was below 50%, and some of the passes he missed were pretty ugly.

True, I could have thrown the Reggie TD, he was wide open.

The completion percentage was 52% (11/21). He had 3 or so good drives, and he put 14 points on the board for us, and it should have been 17

I felt the same way I always do about Painter...very streaky. To me he seemed like he was working on his interception ratio. Whenever there was a defender close to the receiver, he would throw it to the ground and not risk an interception. I saw way too many passed sail to the feel of the receiver (Garcon in particular). The TD to Wayne was easy and anyone should be able to make that play. He was able to lead drives by hitting quick routes from the slot receivers, which was good. I felt the out/corner route for his 2nd TD would not have been completed in a regular season game. The defender got turned around and it always seems like defenders are worried about that route first in the red zone. That's just my perspective anyway. Painter also did not show me very much pocket awareness. Whenever he felt pressure I saw him get the happy feet and dance around. He was unaware of some rushers and did not demonstrate the pocket-presence to even attempt to elude the rusher. He definitely showed some up-side tonight, especially when compared to his previous performances, but he is showing improvement. I think he is trying to put up a fight for the #2 QB job. I love the competition!

Painter played well. Yeah he missed a couple of passes but hey he's a back up for a reason. Honestly tonight he played like an NFL back up which is praise for him. He had a couple of high passes that Wayne caught because Wayne is a great player but Painter also threaded the neddle on a couple of passes including the TD pass to Brooks. That was pretty on both his part and Brooks part. It impressed me more than the Wayne pass because as others said he was wide open. There were also a couple of passes tonight that he made that guys just didn't catch. Wayne and Garcon both dropped a pass that hit them in the hands. I am just disapointed it took the NFL equivlent of almost getting fired to get it out of him. Also worth noting the team clearly has his back. Every time he made some nice throws the guys were all around him and excited for him. When he hit Brooks Manning grabbed him coming off the field and they showed it on the big screen and Manning had the look of a proud dad on the side line.

I was impressed as well this was the second straight game Painter didn't throw an INT. It's not all about making the big passes especialy as a back up it's about avoiding the big mistake. He played smart football and frankly handled a pass rush for the first time in a long time. I wont blame hm for the fumble that was a missed block and he just got nailed, any QB was going to fumble that ball. This was the best I've ever seen Painter play. I was happy for him and I hope he brings it again next week. Tonight earned him the number three QB job for sure and frankly showed what the Colts hoped they were getting in him when they drafted him.

I think he is terrible. He got lucky on the pass to Wayne. Other then that, he pretty much stared Wayne down on every pass to him.

That pass to Brooks for the second TD was a NFL level TD pass. It was not any easy pass for any QB to make. Painter has given us plunty to hate on him for but you have to give him credit tonight. He played well.

True, I could have thrown the Reggie TD, he was wide open.

The completion percentage was 52% (11/21). He had 3 or so good drives, and he put 14 points on the board for us, and it should have been 17

Not attacking you just building on what you said. Not his fault AV missed the kick on the one drive.

Also it's not like that was a bunch of scrubs he was playing tonight it was the defending World Champs. He played well.

No picks is good.

So were the drops by Garcon and Wayne that hit them in the hands. That helped bring down his completion percentage as well.

For Painter, yes. For a backup QB who we could potentially need to start? Not so much.

Dude he was beating the defending World Champions in the regular season tune up game, what more do you want out of your back up? He gave us a chance to win tonight. That's all you can ask out of back up. Painter has given us a lot to hate him about but tonight he had a good game give him credit for his good night he deserves that.

Not attacking you just building on what you said. Not his fault AV missed the kick on the one drive.

Also it's not like that was a bunch of scrubs he was playing tonight it was the defending World Champs. He played well.

:thmup:

No picks is good.

Actually it was over 50% (11/21) with a drop by both Wayne and Garçon.

Painter played well tonight. He put a few bad passes in the dirt, but passes hitting the turf dont go the other way. 2tds and no INTs. Two drops hurt a couple drives. And he made two great passes.. One to Brooks for TD other to Garcon with defenders back turned.

IMO this game showed more that the secondary needed more help than the back up QB position. The 4million were given collins could have brought back Hayden. Peyton will prolly be playing week 1 anyway, and if not, I really dont see Collins, having no knowledge of the offense and no chemistry or timing with the Wideouts, giving us any better chance of winning than Painter if Peyton misses any games.

Without Peyton we can do something we havent done in the last decade. And thats pick #1 overall because without him we win maybe 3 games. So which QB we lose with if Peyton is out doesnt really matter. It seems like the 4 million could have went to actually make the team better, meaning it increases our chance to win. And I just dont see Collins, the same guy that waa benched for Vince Young(who was released), gives us a better shot to win. He started like 2-5 or something like that, with a good running game.

Actually it was over 50% (11/21) with a drop by both Wayne and Garçon.

And lets not forget the "non-call" when Garcon got mugged, and the fact that many of his misses were early on. At one point the Packers were dominating completely, then it reversed for the rest of the first half. And Painter led the way - actually making good things happen. It was exiting to watch, and something that Sorgi (for one) never came close to doing. For a several minute stretch he looked completely like an NFL QB. Under the circumstances that is huge.

If you watched that half and are still writing "I hate Painter", "Painter _____", than you are probably more interested in defending your preconceived notions than you are in honestly appraising the Colts QB situation.

I say drop both Orlovsky and Hartline in the first round of cuts. I see no point in wasting a roster spot there when there are so many other close battles going on.

Was that him tonight, playing... clear throat... well. I mean don't go crazy over the Wayne TD, he was wide open, even I could do that. I was more impressed with the drives he lead down the field, leading to a score, and unfortunately a missed field goal. Good game, let's see how he follows it up. Thoughts on his performance?

He played well for a drive. That's it. Early on, drops by Wayne and Garcon hurt him. Then he just looked plain terrible. The TD pass to Wayne was simply luck. There is no two ways about it. The Green Bay safety flat out blew his assignment and jumped Brooks underneath because that's what Painter does---he checks down. Lo and behold his surprise when Painter actually looked up the field. That was a case of Painter's suckiness working for him. He happened to hold the ball long enough to look up and see Reggie running alone.

The only drive I give Painter credit for was the drive where Brooks scored. Painter made some NFL quality throws on that drive, including the long bomb to Garcon.

Jeff Linckenbach (sp?) did his personal best to ensure Curtis Painter would not have time to throw though. So way to go Link!

No picks is good.

He threw a good soft pass to brooks but brooks was covered He didnt see wayne wide open in the end zone. but it was one of his better nights but still not good enough for us to compete.

I feel like he stepped up only because his job is in jeopardy.....Great motivation on his part to start acting like a reliable back-up....Will he stay this way is the question....

I agree that Painter had a decent game, however just as you stated isn't it funny how the realization of possibly losing your job can change your performance levels. We see it everyday in our 9 to 5's.

Now can he keep it that way our will his performance levels start to faulter once he realizes he is keeping his job? Funny how they always seem to revert back once they feel secure again.

I noticed he was locked on Wayne most of the time, and not reading the field. This is more than likely a product of Wayne coming to his defense.

He finally played with a game plan, and he did not look terrible but he still has a lot of deficiencies.

Over all though a decent performance from him.

He played well for a drive. That's it. Early on, drops by Wayne and Garcon hurt him. Then he just looked plain terrible. The TD pass to Wayne was simply luck. There is no two ways about it. The Green Bay safety flat out blew his assignment and jumped Brooks underneath because that's what Painter does---he checks down. Lo and behold his surprise when Painter actually looked up the field. That was a case of Painter's suckiness working for him. He happened to hold the ball long enough to look up and see Reggie running alone.

The only drive I give Painter credit for was the drive where Brooks scored. Painter made some NFL quality throws on that drive, including the long bomb to Garcon.

Jeff Linckenbach (sp?) did his personal best to ensure Curtis Painter would not have time to throw though. So way to go Link!

I agree, the TD pass to Wayne was easy, I could do that, but nevertheless he lead 2 good drives into the redzone, and keep in mind Matthews and Lattimore were on his butt all night. He played well, tonight and everyone on this forum,Caldwell and the players think so too.

Linkenbach sucks, he shouldnt play, he can't play guard and he can't play tackle.

No picks is good.

Man, you guys are a tough crowd. :D

I agree with Colts8818 and Andy. Painter really had the Packers beat by halftime. What more can you ask from a backup QB?

Painter displayed a lot of poise this time. Yes, there were a few things that he still needs to work on (more on that later), but:

1) He moved the chains and got the first downs

2) Except for the late fumble (*cough* Link *cough*) he didn't turn the ball over

3) He knew when to get rid of the ball

4) He made the difficult throws (eg backshoulder pass to Wayne, perfectly placed pass to Garcon at the end of the half, TD pass to Brooks).

5) He efficiently ran the 2 min drill and got us the TD.

6) And most importantly, he put us in a position to win.

I don't know how anyone can't be happy with that. Again, we're not asking for Peyton Manning... we need an adequate backup that gives the rest of your team the chance to win, which was what he did.

Now, things I think he still needs work on:

1) A few questionable reads, like throwing into double coverage to Wayne.

2) Throwing a few passes too low, which tells me he's still playing a bit tight

3) Staring down Wayne on a few passes (yeah, I could see that all the way from Texas)

4) Consistency

I do think these are fixable things, though.

John me and you are brothers from another mother lol couldnt have said it better

I feel like he stepped up only because his job is in jeopardy.....Great motivation on his part to start acting like a reliable back-up....Will he stay this way is the question....

Are you twisting his improvement on the field into being the result of a personality flaw? Give the guy a break.

After Collins signed I wrote:

By the way, you would think that this signing would make Painter a bit angry. Instead of being Peyton's endless understudy, suddenly he's fighting for his career after getting a massive vote of "no confidence". I know what happens to me when I get angry. Maybe tomorrow instead of being hesitant and careless, he just goes :argh: and just starts making plays. "What the heck, got nothing to lose". Could be interesting.

I'd rather look at it that way, and I'd hope that the more confidence he gets (and more experience he gets) the better he will play. Some people make it sound like he normally plays bad because he's lazy, and yesterday he reluctantly played better, but as soon as he get's his job assured he's going to go back to reading comic books and playing with his hair on the sidelines. I think that human's are a little more complicated than that. If you had any doubt about the significance of his second quarter play all you had to do was look at the video of Peyton. Never seen him like that before.

And lets not forget the "non-call" when Garcon got mugged, and the fact that many of his misses were early on. At one point the Packers were dominating completely, then it reversed for the rest of the first half. And Painter led the way - actually making good things happen. It was exiting to watch, and something that Sorgi (for one) never came close to doing. For a several minute stretch he looked completely like an NFL QB. Under the circumstances that is huge.

If you watched that half and are still writing "I hate Painter", "Painter _____", than you are probably more interested in defending your preconceived notions than you are in honestly appraising the Colts QB situation.

I say drop both Orlovsky and Hartline in the first round of cuts. I see no point in wasting a roster spot there when there are so many other close battles going on.

Orlovsky and Hartline are gone but they will keep them as long as they can without Peyton we need arms for practice. Kerry Collins isn't exactly young so you don't want to put too much on his arm either and if you only have Painter you'll even throw his arm out. Keep Orlovsky and Hartline just to for their arms in pratice. Honestly Hartline might may the practice squad depending on what happens with Manning. If he's out for a couple of weeks they might want Hartline for pratices.

Painters job was never in jepordy idk who told you that polian and caldwell agreed on the same thing. Painter is hard working and spot on in practice, but he just needed to show it in the games.... One thing that phil simms said durning the game was when he visits the colts practice peyton gets all the reps and they just have painter dinking and dunking screen passes, kinda tells me this was his actual preseason worth something, to me he did pretty good for a back up.