Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

MNF: Packers at Seahawks [Merge]

stat2883

I just want to make one point regarding your control points . .. I think that part of the rule needs to put into context and the control only happens when you have two feet on the ground . .. so if a DB has control of the ball and then the WR comes in and gets the ball then the later can get the sim, catch . . . also Tate did have a hand on the onll and they both leap, and further as the ball went out of view, its tough to see if Jennins had control of teh ball as he feel . . .

The rule is clear that having the ball is the air is nothing and subordinate to the possession portion of the rule . . .

I know it frstrating. . . .

All this talk about rule specifics and the convoluted details are beginning to burn my ears clean off.

I like the way Brian Baldinger said it; "It just doesn't pass the eye test. Not the first time you see it, not the 12th time you see it".

All this crap reminds me of the Music City Miracle. Where we had nerds using CGI and advanced engineering software to attempt to prove that the lateral pass was possibly a forward pass, and nothing conclusive ever came of it. All that semantic garbage managed to do was to ruin one of the greatest plays in NFL playoff history.

The Music City Miracle passed the eye test. The MNF play did not.

The NFL continued to disappoint me on Tuesday when they decided not to own the mess like true men of valor. Instead, they opted for the canned corporate appeasement approach which was received by me as salt in an already festering wound.

Per ESPN

Referee Wayne Elliott determined that no indisputable visual evidence existed to overturn the call on the field, and as a result, the on-field ruling of touchdown stood. The NFL Officiating Department reviewed the video today and supports the decision not to overturn the on-field ruling following the instant replay review.

Ignore the overwhleming voice of the fans. Withhold your apologies. Whatever.

I'd also like to address something I've been hearing in the media regarding Pass Interference during jump balls. A silly sentiment that wishes to convey PI is NEVER called in that situation. I have to ask; To what end do we take this approach to jump balls?

Per my above link;

While the ball is in the air, Tate can be seen shoving Green Bay cornerback Sam Shields to the ground. This should have been a penalty for offensive pass interference, which would have ended the game. It was not called and is not reviewable in instant replay.

PI has been called before in these situations, and MUST be when egregious violations occur. Tate's shove really stood in this light to me. I prefer that they let them fight for it, but they cannot just allow them to wrestle each other, rules be darned. Otherwise, a defender could just wrap his arms around a receiver and bear hug him.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All this talk about rule specifics and the convoluted details are beginning to burn my ears clean off.

I like the way Brian Baldinger said it; "It just doesn't pass the eye test. Not the first time you see it, not the 12th time you see it".

All this crap reminds me of the Music City Miracle. Where we had nerds using CGI and advanced engineering software to attempt to prove that the lateral pass was possibly a forward pass, and nothing conclusive ever came of it. All that semantic garbage managed to do was to ruin one of the greatest plays in NFL playoff history.

The Music City Miracle passed the eye test. The MNF play did not.

The NFL continued to disappoint me on Tuesday when they decided not to own the mess like true men of valor. Instead, they opted for the canned corporate appeasement approach which was received by me as salt in an already festering wound.

Per ESPN

Referee Wayne Elliott determined that no indisputable visual evidence existed to overturn the call on the field, and as a result, the on-field ruling of touchdown stood. The NFL Officiating Department reviewed the video today and supports the decision not to overturn the on-field ruling following the instant replay review.

Ignore the overwhleming voice of the fans. Withhold your apologies. Whatever.

I'd also like to address something I've been hearing in the media regarding Pass Interference during jump balls. A silly sentiment that wishes to convey PI is NEVER called in that situation. I have to ask; To what end do we take this approach to jump balls?

Per my above link;

While the ball is in the air, Tate can be seen shoving Green Bay cornerback Sam Shields to the ground. This should have been a penalty for offensive pass interference, which would have ended the game. It was not called and is not reviewable in instant replay.

PI has been called before in these situations, and MUST be when egregious violations occur. Tate's shove really stood in this light to me. I prefer that they let them fight for it, but they cannot just allow them to wrestle each other, rules be darned. Otherwise, a defender could just wrap his arms around a receiver and bear hug him.

Here is my problem with the pi call or lack there of. The regular officials wouldn't make that call. Even the official they interviewed after the game said the officials don't call pi there so I don't think it's right to pick on the replacement officials for something the regular officials let go as well.

With that said that is only aspect of that play.

In all seriousness, I sincerely hope that a serious NFL player injury on the field of play does not serve as a catalyst for a zebra resolution and apparently I am not alone in this regard either.

http://www.huffingto..._b_1913696.html

"Now that we've had a game unfairly decided because of incompetent officials, the question becomes: how long before a player is seriously injured?"

Roger Goodell what time should I schedule your clown tailored suit fitting for exactly? What date and time works best for you?

http://www.denverpos...cials-joke-isnt

In all seriousness, I sincerely hope that a serious NFL player injury on the field of play does not serve as a catalyst for a zebra resolution and apparently I am not alone in this regard either.

http://www.huffingto..._b_1913696.html

"Now that we've had a game unfairly decided because of incompetent officials, the question becomes: how long before a player is seriously injured?"

Roger Goodell what time should I schedule your clown tailored suit fitting for exactly? What date and time works best for you?

http://www.denverpos...cials-joke-isnt

I keep hearing this angle but I cannot follow it.

How does bad officiating lead to danger?

Here is my problem with the pi call or lack there of. The regular officials wouldn't make that call. Even the official they interviewed after the game said the officials don't call pi there so I don't think it's right to pick on the replacement officials for something the regular officials let go as well.

Likely they may have let that go, though I believe they shouldn't have.

But it begs the question I asked above; To what end do we take this stance? Do we allow bearhugs, tripping, maybe assign two offensive players to tackle a few defenders to clear the jumper? C'mon......people aren't thinking here.

Just like the puppets on the NFLN that spent the last 15 minutes of their program trying to blame Jennings for not batting the ball down. They vomited the same illogical line ad nauseam....."Just knock the ball down.....don't try to pad your stats young man, just knock it down".

KNOCK IT DOWN WHERE? What's below Jennings you *? What's underneath him? Where would the ball go if he knocked it down, you mindless corporate talking piece? To Tate, the Seattle wide receiver that is BELOW Jennings? The WR UNDERNEATH him? Really?

Considering we just saw (2 days ago) a successful hail mary jump ball catch made (Det/Tenn) ONLY because the defender knocked the ball down to the waiting arms of the receiver beneath him...you would think they wouldn't pursue this line. But it gets worse yet. They showed footage of last years SB. The last play, Brady heaves it up and these fools at NFLN actually showed that the NYG did it right, they boxed out the receiver and knocked it down.......AND it was almost caught, I mean just off the finger tips of Gronk, the Patriots almost won the SB because of this flawed technique of batting down the jump ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygykvxYRa1M&feature=related

A tragedy was narrowly averted. Due to the ignorant idea that knocking the ball down "harmlessly to the ground" instead of vying for control of the ball the Patriots almost won the SB.

Rules and techniques need to be revisited in this regard before the unimaginable happens and something like Monday night happens at the end of the SB.

Final-Play.jpg

Here's another article from the NY Times which throws a glaring spotlight on the NFL's Grand Canyon of gigantic hypocrisy. The mounting avalanche of disgust and frustration is proliferating by the day.

http://opinionator.b...5/zebra-nomics/

"But the “inaccurate reception,” as they’re calling the interception-that-became-a-touchdown Monday night"

Who's calling it that? That's terrible.

My only point here was endangering players safety just for the sake of gluttonous, unrestrained NFL owner greed. Does poor officiating directly correlate to on the field, lethal or life threatening injuries? Doubtful, slim, and hard to prove substantially I will admit.

Still, in the back of my mind, I do fear poor zebra calls on the o-line in the trenches though that can lead to blown knees and season ending injuries IMO. I will acknowledge that I am no medical expert or sports medicine professional either. Just a hunch I have.

Likely they may have let that go, though I believe they shouldn't have.

But it begs the question I asked above; To what end do we take this stance? Do we allow bearhugs, tripping, maybe assign two offensive players to tackle a few defenders to clear the jumper? C'mon......people aren't thinking here.

Just like the puppets on the NFLN that spent the last 15 minutes of their program trying to blame Jennings for not batting the ball down. They vomited the same illogical line ad nauseam....."Just knock the ball down.....don't try to pad your stats young man, just knock it down".

KNOCK IT DOWN WHERE? What's below Jennings you *? What's underneath him? Where would the ball go if he knocked it down, you mindless corporate talking piece? To Tate, the Seattle wide receiver that is BELOW Jennings? The WR UNDERNEATH him? Really?

Considering we just saw (2 days ago) a successful hail mary jump ball catch made (Det/Tenn) ONLY because the defender knocked the ball down to the waiting arms of the receiver beneath him...you would think they wouldn't pursue this line. But it gets worse yet. They showed footage of last years SB. The last play, Brady heaves it up and these fools at NFLN actually showed that the NYG did it right, they boxed out the receiver and knocked it down.......AND it was almost caught, I mean just off the finger tips of Gronk, the Patriots almost won the SB because of this flawed technique of batting down the jump ball.

A tragedy was narrowly averted. Due to the ignorant idea that knocking the ball down "harmlessly to the ground" instead of vying for control of the ball the Patriots almost won the SB.

Rules and techniques need to be revisited in this regard before the unimaginable happens and something like Monday night happens at the end of the SB.

You make a profound point ruksak. Can you imagine the fan reaction and intensity that would have been generated if Gronk had actually caught the ball in the endzone? Having a SB end on a controversial call like the Packers/SeaHawks game did on Monday Night Football...

I'm still trying to determine if this final outcome and who gets to hoist the Lombardi trophy based on replacement referee diminished interpretation skills would be a positive watershed moment for the NFL and it's fan base or not. Right now, I'd have to say unequivocally no.

Still, in the back of my mind, I do fear poor zebra calls on the o-line in the trenches though that can lead to blown knees and season ending injuries IMO. I will acknowledge that I am no medical expert or sports medicine professional either. Just a hunch I have.

Along that line....I hope Greg Shiano gets his butt kicked soon. Someone please tar and feather that * before he hurts someone with his ignorant "NEVER QUIT" stance. It's funny that he's making such a stance while losing games.....awesome cool idea you sore loser. He's begging to be ostracized from the league.

Along that line....I hope Greg Shiano gets his butt kicked soon. Someone please tar and feather that * before he hurts someone with his ignorant "NEVER QUIT" ignorance. It's funny that he's making such a stance while losing games.....awesome cool idea you sore loser. He's begging to be ostracized from the league.

That's what really bothers me about Gregg Schiano too. His ego is writing checks that his Tampa Bay Bucs can't cash yet due to "insufficient funds" and sub par playing performance. Yes, you were a coordinator in this league, but as a HC you have down absolutely nothing yet. Do you have any division titles or Championship NFL Rings? No, okay then stop acting like you are a shoe in for revered status and a Hall of Fame Canton, Ohio bust. Thank you Mr. Schiano.

Exactly. I was listening to Grady and Big Joe (well just Joe really) yell about this for 10 minutes straight... How many times have we seen "just bat it down" backfire or very nearly backfire?

Here's that Jags clip SW1:

texans tried that last year & knocked it right into the hands of Jax & Texans lost b/c they batted it down instead of intercepting it. Neither one is fool proof

http://news.yahoo.com/video/replacement-refs-endangering-players-013021649.html

This piece talks a little bit about it. I did see another piece a few days ago but I can't find it anywhere. It was specifically talking about some hits by Ed Reed in a game. It showed one hit in the game that should have been flagged for hit to the head. The video then showed another hit by Ed later in the game that also went uncalled. The narrator of the video (again, can't find it and don't remember where I saw it) said that if the first hit had been flagged, Reed might have been more mindful of where he was delivering that second hit.

Yes, that is all just speculation and I don't know how much I really buy into the notion of player safety been severely affected. I do understand the points that these videos are making, but how often has it really come up?

http://news.yahoo.co...-013021649.html

This piece talks a little bit about it. I did see another piece a few days ago but I can't find it anywhere. It was specifically talking about some hits by Ed Reed in a game. It showed one hit in the game that should have been flagged for hit to the head. The video then showed another hit by Ed later in the game that also went uncalled. The narrator of the video (again, can't find it and don't remember where I saw it) said that if the first hit had been flagged, Reed might have been more mindful of where he was delivering that second hit.

Yes, that is all just speculation and I don't know how much I really buy into the notion of player safety been severely affected. I do understand the points that these videos are making, but how often has it really come up?

The issue with these refs is that the quality of the game is poor. This crap about injuries is nothing more than an emotional plea crafted by drama queens.

I would file this under 'trying too hard to make a point'. The refs suck, get rid of 'em.

The issue with these refs is that the quality of the game is poor. This crap about injuries is nothing more than an emotional plea crafted by drama queens.

I would file this under 'trying too hard to make a point'. The refs suck, get rid of 'em.

no disagreement here - I understand their logic, but feel its being stretched pretty far

no disagreement here - I understand their logic, but feel its being stretched pretty far

Agreed. I feel the only thing being hurt is the game itself. The only desire I have to watch tonight's game is to see what they screw up next, as if I feel compelled not to miss the train-wreck at it's scheduled time. I promised myself I will not watch non-Colts games until they settle this and bring in the real refs, so I'm going to stick to my guns and watch something else.

http://news.yahoo.co...-013021649.html

Agreed. I feel the only thing being hurt is the game itself. The only desire I have to watch tonight's game is to see what they screw up next, as if I feel compelled not to miss the train-wreck at it's scheduled time. I promised myself I will not watch non-Colts games until they settle this and bring in the real refs, so I'm going to stick to my guns and watch something else.

Thanks for the link about replacement refs and player injuries stat2883. Yeah, you're probably right. I guess it depends on the kind of injuries taking place based on what happened in the last 3-4 seasons. It's hard to imagine a spike in the scope of injuries beyond concussions and blown out knees.

I applaud your pledge to boycott all NFL games except Colts games ruksak. At least, you are turning your frustrations into a definitive course of action rather than just complaining about poor officiating falsely deciding the outcome of NFL victories and losses. Making that decision almost feels like you are exerting some sort of control over an uncontrollable situation and that action is a commendable gesture of defiance no matter how big or small its overall impact/influence really is on the NFL union and it's overlord owners. Good work ruksak!!!

I applaud your pledge to boycott all NFL games except Colts games ruksak. At least, you are turning your frustrations into a definitive course of action rather than just complaining about poor officiating falsely deciding the outcome of NFL victories and losses.

I'm just a weird jerk like that. I refuse to watch Comedy Central because apparently they don't know when to start their own programs. They've bought into a new trick, incase you haven't noticed. Their programs start and finish at odd times, not on the hour/half-hour as they should be.

At first I assumed this was a way of fudging with people whom use DVR, and that may yet be part of the reason. For example; On Comedy Central right now is the Colbert Report (a show I used to like). The air time is 11:18-11:52 instead of 11:00-11:30. That's an extra 4 minutes of air time (34 minutes) for a program they used to show in 30 minutes. Why?

Four extra minutes of commercials. They've literally invented a way to make more time in the day to air commercials.

I wish more people would put their middle finger to use and straighten out these greedy creeps. Read more here>>>

To heck with regularly scheduled programming....Hulu! :)

As for boycotting, I already gave the NFL money for various game packages etc. I wonder if I squeal loud enough about the state of the game, that I can get partial refunds? However, I am weak and my threats are hollow. :)

Thank you ruksuk. I'm with you. I will limit myself to only one game (either the Broncos or the Colts) a week.

I'm just a weird jerk like that. I refuse to watch Comedy Central because apparently they don't know when to start their own programs. They've bought into a new trick, incase you haven't noticed. Their programs start and finish at odd times, not on the hour/half-hour as they should be.

At first I assumed this was a way of fudging with people whom use DVR, and that may yet be part of the reason. For example; On Comedy Central right now is the Colbert Report (a show I used to like). The air time is 11:18-11:52 instead of 11:00-11:30. That's an extra 4 minutes of air time (34 minutes) for a program they used to show in 30 minutes. Why?

Four extra minutes of commercials. They've literally invented a way to make more time in the day to air commercials.

I wish more people would put their middle finger to use and straighten out these greedy creeps. Read more here>>>

Unbelievable!!! God, I despise TV commercials unless they make me laugh. I have a sarcastic sense of humor. I like Stephen Colbert too. A master of both subtle and blatant sarcasm. Plus, he mocks Bill O'Reilly and the GOP with razor sharp precision. haha

"But Comedy Central has taken the practice to a new extreme, vastly greedier than the two or four minute “shifts” which networks used in the past to pad a popular show with a couple of extra ads. Take a look at the full daily schedule for Comedy Central. They aren’t just “stuffing” a few extra minutes into a popular show and taking them from another. This is something entirely new...We shouldn’t have to put up with this. It’s beyond annoying and they should be called out for it."

Close to where I live there used to a 1950's style restaurant called "RPM's." It had the full ambiance of a diner straight out of the President Dwight Eisenhower era: the black and white checkerboard floors, strawberry malts, 57 chevy booths, and a jukebox filled with Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and Elvis Presley songs in with on vinyl records. In each booth, there were ironic sayings posted like this one: "I miss the days when TV had commercials not commercials dominating TV." So true it's sad and tragic actually. I really miss "RPM's" but like you ruksak, I weird like that too I guess. The history buff in me loves bizarre time capsule stuff from different time periods too.