Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why does Manusky get a pass?

YOUR GM

For as much as people have complained about our O coordinator in the past 2 games (even myself, at times), I haven't heard much of anything negative about Manusky so far. I don't know how much control he has over the defense, but if we're going to play the blame game on the coordinators each week after a loss, we need to make it fair and direct it at all parties responsible. Outside of the refs, I think the defense lost us this game; not Arians playcalling.

As I said in another thread, most of our stalled drives came down to either poor officiating or poor execution. The play calling was fine. The botched snap by Satele, the horrible pass by Luck that got intercepted, dropped passes, missed kicks and all around horrible officiating killed some pretty productive drives that probably would've resulted in more points.

The choice not to go for it on 4th and 1 withstanding, I think the O coordinator did everything in his power to put us in a position to win. The D coordinator did not; bottomline

In this game, I don't think Manusky called a bad game. I could nitpick with his playcalling in the first two games plenty, but I think his calls were effective and well-managed in this game. The Jags scored two touchdowns on two big plays, and I believe both of those plays featured blown assignments by the defenders. Gabbert was terrible (9/20 for 75 yards and no scores before the Shorts TD), and MJD was steady and effective, but not oustanding, outside of his touchdown. Not trying to take anything away from those two big plays, because they really were the difference in the game. My point is just that I don't fault the playcalling or the way the playcalling meshed with the game situation.

The problem with the defense was execution, plain and simple, on two really huge plays. And a couple of penalties that extended drives, by the way. I probably would have played more of a shell coverage on the Shorts pass (3 Deep Man, with three rushers), but I think the safeties split the field too wide, and the rest is history.

In this game, I don't think Manusky called a bad game. I could nitpick with his playcalling in the first two games plenty, but I think his calls were effective and well-managed in this game. The Jags scored two touchdowns on two big plays, and I believe both of those plays featured blown assignments by the defenders. Gabbert was terrible (9/20 for 75 yards and no scores before the Shorts TD), and MJD was steady and effective, but not oustanding, outside of his touchdown. Not trying to take anything away from those two big plays, because they really were the difference in the game. My point is just that I don't fault the playcalling or the way the playcalling meshed with the game situation.

The problem with the defense was execution, plain and simple, on two really huge plays. And a couple of penalties that extended drives, by the way. I probably would have played more of a shell coverage on the Shorts pass (3 Deep Man, with three rushers), but I think the safeties split the field too wide, and the rest is history.

All valid points, and I agree. I just found it weird that we had topics this morning, once again, putting down Arians when the 2 most costly plays in that loss came from the defense.

For as much as people have complained about our O coordinator in the past 2 games (even myself, at times), I haven't heard much of anything negative about Manusky so far. I don't know how much control he has over the defense, but if we're going to play the blame game on the coordinators each week after a loss, we need to make it fair and direct it at all parties responsible. Outside of the refs, I think the defense lost us this game; not Arians playcalling.

As I said in another thread, most of our stalled drives came down to either poor officiating or poor execution. The play calling was fine. The botched snap by Satele, the horrible pass by Luck that got intercepted, dropped passes, missed kicks and all around horrible officiating killed some pretty productive drives that probably would've resulted in more points.

The choice not to go for it on 4th and 1 withstanding, I think the O coordinator did everything in his power to put us in a position to win. The D coordinator did not; bottomline

you do realize blaming the D coordinator is blaming the HC also right? Pagano has much say in the defensive plays ran as Manusky does. that is what pagano was brought in for, was his defensive mind. so techincally your blaming Manusky and Pagano.

anyway that is beside the point, what do you expect from a defense learning a new system?? it will take another year or two before you start seeing major results.

I think everyone here finds it hard to blame anything on Manusky when you have things like Sergio Brown blowing his assignment which allowed the Cecil Shorts TD, the defense that we used to counter the offensive formation was correct. Pagano said immediately after the game that they had to put Brown there because Vontae, and Justin King were hurt and they had no other bodies. The long run executed by MJD had zero to do with Manusky as it was clear one of the safeties and possibly a linebacker did not execute their responsibility properly.

You can blame it on Manusky but that's hard to accept when you see certain players did not execute their assignments properly. I could see if we were not getting the right defenses called or what not, but it was simply a matter of blown assignments. The right schemes were called, player did not execute on the given play.

I don't blame anything on Arians or Manusky. Players not executing what was called properly I do blame.

Not only is manusky not to blame but he doesnt even have the right players at certain positions. Mookie was horrible and moala was getting pushed around as well... My biggest concern is the NT position so whoever has the duty to oversee that position needs to be blamed

Because, like Arians, Manusky is playing with the hand he was dealt. We've only got so much talent. And despite being without Freeney, and giving up nearly 180 yards rushing, we were :45 seconds away from winning and only giving up 16 points.

Typically, in the NFL, that gets the job done.

There were two terrible plays made by the defense. Other than those two, the defense played pretty well.

Because, like Arians, Manusky is playing with the hand he was dealt. We've only got so much talent. And despite being without Freeney, and giving up nearly 180 yards rushing, we were :45 seconds away from winning and only giving up 16 points.

Typically, in the NFL, that gets the job done.

There were two terrible plays made by the defense. Other than those two, the defense played pretty well.

I disagree with the first bold. When a coordinator makes calls that don't hold up to scrutiny, it doesn't matter who the personnel is. His job is to take his personnel and put them in good positions. If your corner keeps getting burned, for instance, you don't just shrug and say "we need better corners." The coordinator needs to make adjustments to minimize that player's weaknesses. If you're giving up yards in the middle, you don't complain about your nose tackle. You make adjustments. That's why you're the coordinator. You're not the GM or the head coach. Your job is to do the best you can with what you're given.

In this particular instance, however, I don't think the coordinator deserves criticism, because of exactly what you said in the second bold. The defense played very, very well. Even with the penalties and a couple of long drives, the defense was very good. MJD had a good game without the long touchdown, but not a game-breaking performance. The two long plays are exactly why coaches always stress not giving up big plays, and why whenever I look at how good a defense is, I consider the amount of big plays they give up. Without them, the Jags had 9 points. I'll take that any day.

The defensive breakdowns are concerning, but I don't put them on Manusky. Freeman and Zbikowski messed up on the first touchdown, and Bethea and Brown messed up on the second touchdown (JMO).

just some numbers to toss out here concerning team rankings with Greg as the DC

2007 - 49ers - Inherited a defense that ranked 32nd in points, and 26th in yards. For the 2007 season, they finished 20th and 25th respectively. (Mike Nolan was HC)

2008 - 49ers - finished 23rd (pts) and 13th (yds) (Mike Nolan replaced by Singletary as HC after week 7)

2009 - 49ers - finished 4th (pts) and 15th (yds) (Singletary's first full season as HC there)

2010 - 49ers - finished 16th (pts) and 13th (yds) (Singletary fired, Harbaugh gave Manusky permission to interview elsewhere)

2011 - Chargers - Inherited a defense ranked 10th in pts allowed, and 1st in yards. For the 2011 season, they finished 22nd and 16th respectively.

So, Manusky has been under defensive minded head coaches his whole time, so who's to say how much control he really had. I also didn't take the time to look into personnel changes, injuries, and other extenuating circumstances that may have affected rankings.

The coordinator needs to make adjustments to minimize that player's weaknesses.

I agree with this. The coordinators' job is to exploit their strengths and hide their weaknesses. However, if players are continually missing assignments and getting beat, eventually that falls to teaching and coaching....unless of course its just a matter of being physically outclassed by your opponent no matter what you do.

The Jags needed a FG to win, not a TD. And that means Scobee indoors (I know the roof was open), and a history of long FGs to beat the Colts. A two deep, chip MJD out of the backfield, rush three DL seemed reasonable to me. I have no issue with how the D played all day, nor do I have an issue with the D they were in for that particular play. Give up the underneath, bleed the clock. To me it was a freak play. One freak play. From a QB who was terrible for 59 minutes, to a WR who I can't even name who caught the back half of the ball... how many of those plays happen in the last minute of football games? The shame of it to me is, more broadly, the Colts are likely to have another long year, and these kinds of games, home divisional games, against QBs like Gabbert, are ones which teams really need to win.

A two deep, chip MJD out of the backfield, rush three DL seemed reasonable to me.

My call would have been man coverage, three deep, rush three. At least on first down.

I don't second guess playcalling very often. I don't really even have a problem with the defense we were in. I think we could have been in a safer defense, but that's not the issue. I believe the secondary blew the coverage, and lost the game.

In answer to your question....probabaly because we have so many problems....that no one expects coaches or coordinators to fix them this year......

Its an attitude I dont like..but I must admit....nobody expects us to win any games this year.

..somebody said last night...us beating Minnesota was a major upset... We are lowly regarded

My call would have been man coverage, three deep, rush three. At least on first down.

I don't second guess playcalling very often. I don't really even have a problem with the defense we were in. I think we could have been in a safer defense, but that's not the issue. I believe the secondary blew the coverage, and lost the game.

Agreed. But to me that is more about Brown being lost (and then slapping himself in the head knowing he got beat instead of running hard to tackle the WR) than the coverage. Perhaps not. I wish Pagano hadn't talked about 'lots of new guys out there' and 'guys not used to positions' in the post game presser. That, to me, should remain in house. But you're right, there were safer coverages. My guess if the need for 3 instead of 7 influenced that coverage decision. Let them work the middle, and Gabbert would take what's given because he hadn't shown he was capable of much else all day. Until...

Everybody plays a 2 deep coverage at the end of games they just split us props to Gabbert for moving the safety with his eyes and getting them out of position. But the gameplan/playcalling was good outside of two big plays 59yrd run and that 80yrd td the defense played outstanding. 1 play 59 and 80 yard 10 sec drives can put any team right back in the game in this case win it

I agree with most of whats been said but even with Freeney we dont stop MJD, lets be honest after Davis and Powers at Corner we have nothing but camp fodder just bodies to fill in to get to add to final 53, Fili Moala had another good game, if Drew dont break the big in the 3rd quarter then he would have had 118 yards and it would have taken him 27 carries to do that which would have been for an average 4.3 ypc which given that it was MJD I would have taken that (not be really happy but not mad about it) that was excellent trap blocking on that play by the entire right side of that O Line, I hope the colts O Line was watching, sad to say it but they can learn from the Jags O line when it comes to run blocking

In answer to your question....probabaly because we have so many problems....that no one expects coaches or coordinators to fix them this year......

Its an attitude I dont like..but I must admit....nobody expects us to win any games this year.

..somebody said last night...us beating Minnesota was a major upset... We are lowly regarded

the Minnesota game was an upset an upset that we earned every bit of but still an upset