Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is J.J. Watt the best defensive player in the league?

The Peytonator

That is an excellent point. The Wade Phillips defense employs the 1 gap scheme, so essentially he's more of a 4-3 lineman than 3-4. Still, the amount of attention opposing coaches give him, and the way he beats them is absolutely incredible.

Coupled with the fact that nearly everyone in Houston questioned the pick at first ( a lot of people wanted Fairley, Quinn, or Jimmy Smith) and he's shown and proven to everyone that he was worth it. A gem that no one except Phillips and Rick Smith saw clearly.

Coupled with the fact that nearly everyone in Houston questioned the pick at first ( a lot of people wanted Fairley, Quinn, or Jimmy Smith) and he's shown and proven to everyone that he was worth it. A gem that no one except Phillips and Rick Smith saw clearly.

Watt was on the short list of guys I wanted the Redskins to take in that draft when we were sitting a pick ahead of you guys (Quinn and Aldon Smith were the other two I liked and thought we had a good shot at) but I certainly didn't think he would be that good. As good as he is, though, I'm not sure that passing on him via the trade wasn't still the best option. It's a matter of Watt versus Ryan Kerrigan (who was completely off my radar but was a great pick) and a half dozen or more players (lots of trading back that year) who have already contributed meaningfully in games.

It'll take a few seasons for me to sort that one out ;)

Watt was on the short list of guys I wanted the Redskins to take in that draft when we were sitting a pick ahead of you guys (Quinn and Aldon Smith were the other two I liked and thought we had a good shot at) but I certainly didn't think he would be that good. As good as he is, though, I'm not sure that passing on him via the trade wasn't still the best option. It's a matter of Watt versus Ryan Kerrigan (who was completely off my radar but was a great pick) and a half dozen or more players (lots of trading back that year) who have already contributed meaningfully in games.

It'll take a few seasons for me to sort that one out ;)

Hahaha I heard more about Ryan Kerrigan than about Watt myself. I probably heard one or two things about how good he was in college and how he might go in the middle of the first round and that was about it hahaha. Yep, it's going to take a few years before we figure out who was the better pick. I'm definitely satisfied right now though. :D

• 4 weeks later...

who's on first

no, i am asking you who's on first . ..

well then go ahead then . ..

whats the guy's name on first base . . .

no, whats on second base . ..

i am not asking you who's on second . . .

who's on first . . .

I don't know . . .

he's on third base . . .

there i go back on third base . . .

i like watt for DPOY, but I could see rumblings as the MVP if the Texans go like 14-2 or 15-1 and he continues on his run . . .

no, i am asking you who's on first . ..

well then go ahead then . ..

whats the guy's name on first base . . .

no, whats on second base . ..

i am not asking you who's on second . . .

who's on first . . .

I don't know . . .

he's on third base . . .

there i go back on third base . . .

i like watt for DPOY, but I could see rumblings as the MVP if the Texans go like 14-2 or 15-1 and he continues on his run . . .