Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Greg Schiano Re-visited: "He's a Bully...."

NewColtsFan

.... that's not me saying this....

.... that's not a writer saying this.... although, the writer, does, in fact, say it...

.... that's roughly a dozen NFL people, GM's, scouts, coaches, and others who came across Schiano while he was at Rutgers and all HATED HIM!!

He's a jerk and... well, think of all the words that might get a poster here 'warning points'...

The writer is the very respected Michael Silver of Yahoo Sports... here's his story....

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--buccaneers-coach-greg-schiano-regarded-as-bully-around-nfl-well-before-kneel-down-incident-20120921.html;_ylt=AkDkAk6b9Y_nOr8JUFIi7pQLcykA;_ylu=X3oDMTFsYmxwdDFlBG1pdANCbG9nIEluZGV4IGJ5IEF1dGhvcgRwb3MDMQRzZWMDTWVkaWFCbG9nSW5kZXhUZW1w;_ylg=X3oDMTFrODdzYXZuBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANhdXRob3IEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

By the way, I really, really, really dislike Bullies. No, I had no traumatic moment growing up. I just really intensely dislike them. So, you can imagine my thoughts on Schiano...

I could see how he is trying to be like Belichick. But Belichick is actually a really friendly guy (just not to the media) and has had a ton of success to back up his methods. Schiano is a rookie head coach who has accomplished nothing in the NFL. And when Tom Coughlin tells you that you did something wrong, you've done something wrong. Coughlin is one of the most respected and well-disciplined guys in the NFL.

I don't like Shiano - and I'm a Rutgers fan who lives 20 minutes from the campus. He seems like a walking attitude problem - but then again so do dozens of other college coaches. I don't like Jim Harbaugh as a coach either.

That being said, I never heard even a hint of any of this in all the time he was here. I never heard a bad word about him from the Colts while they were collecting Bracket, Foster, and Lefeged (missing someone? Thought there was more). His players seem to adore him, and his treatment of Eric LeGrand has garnered him national attention for attributes completely the opposite of what you describe. Then there is Ray Rice, Kenny Britt, the McCourty Brothers, and others. One would think that if their coach was actively hurting their chances for a pro career we would have heard something before now.

I didn't notice anyone putting their name to the comments in that article. Doesn't it make more sense that perhaps Shiano has a personal problem with a handful of individuals, and treated them horribly. The mutual dislike may be coming out in this article, but that doesn't mean that he treated everyone that way. Who knows.

Well....let's see.

We have an unapologetic Jersey tough-guy...complete with the stereotypical cocky attitude...who not only coached on Jerry Sandusky's defensive staff at Penn State, but also went on as defensive coordinator for none other than Jonathan Vilma at the U.

And almost none of his peers like the guy??? GASP!!!!

Seriously, I don't know if any of that stuff or whats in Silver's article means anything....but if Silver's account is true, it'll be good for laughs to see an arrogant, defiant bunghole of a coach with questionable methods play the New Orleans Saints twice a year. LOL!!!

If this was 1980 and ESPN didnt have 55 channels, and no NFL network etc etc ... we would have already forgot about this! Once again public opinion is being directed / influenced by the media creating stories vs reporting them.

Seriously this is a non issue, least in my opinion! Shiano is trying to foster a winning / do not quit mentality - whats wrong with that? This isn't a gentlemans game its a game of gladiators and as long as the game is not over all is fair! Coughlin needs to better prepare is team .... if the defense is down and ready to fire the OL better be ready to block them ... are they really that darn dumb to not see whats going on and react to it?

Down and ready to fire... ok. ready to fire down at the knees of the opponent? Never taken well, under any circumstance and it is doubled in this case. Now you are talking about careers on a desperation play. There will be payback of some sort. Some players immediately retaliated and they got caught and fined by the NFL. Others will pick their spot in a future game. They may go a little overboard too. We'll see. This really isn't not a gladiator sport. There is a full rulebook and lot's of down time between snaps. It's violent and hard hitting until the whistle.

If I was in V formation vs. Tampa here on out, I'd alter the snap count and/or hard count to disrupt their timing or draw them offsides. I'd never let them succeed in their attempt to force a fumbled snap exchange.

Quote- "Shiano is trying to foster a winning / do not quit mentality - whats wrong with that?"

Why didn't he have them fire off on the Giants kneeldown right at halftime then? Do not quit, right? Why did he let the Giants scores at the end? Why not just stop them and get the ball back with that no quit mentality? He's a hypocrite, and bush league. What goes around, eventually comes around.

That was an enlightening article. Before Sunday, my impression of Schiano was positive just for the fact that he signed his paralyzed former player to the Bucs. I'd never heard him talk or learned anything of his methods. He pulled a stupid, cheap stunt that would never work, and his pompous, 'I don't give a *' attitude he displayed to the media really painted a clear picture of what the guy is. He's a punk. Made in the same mold of Gregg Williams. Next time a team takes a knee against the Bucs, I hope they throw a quick slant and the WR takes it to the house.

Well I heard he caused something like 3 fumbles doing what he did. All last year I believe. It was a 1 possession game I really don't see anything wrong with it. If it would have worked and they won he would have been called a genius instead of a jerk.

Nah, I looked all around for it. Found out his team caused only two fumbles in 11 years at Rutgers. Both in 2009. One of which they got flagged for encroachment, which negates the fumble. Anyway, Rutgers lost both games- 24 - 17 against Pitt and 24-21 vs. West Virginia.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/17/rutgers-twice-forced-victory-formation-fumbles-under-schiano/

Well that was a waste of an article used for the sole purpose of cutting up Schiano without naming any of those supposed scouts or any officials as well as cutting up Bill Belicheck, he played hard that last snap trying to get the ball back to score the final play before the kneel down was an interception thrown by Freeman with 12 seconds left which was returned for 6 yards by Boley to the Giants 30 yard line there was 5 seconds left after that and if the Bucs caused a fumble they would have had likely at least 1 second on the clock which is time for one final play from the Giants 30 yard line, Schiano made the right call you play to win the game down by one score you keep fighting until there is no time left on the clock

Well that was a waste of an article used for the sole purpose of cutting up Schiano without naming any of those supposed scouts or any officials as well as cutting up Bill Belicheck, he played hard that last snap trying to get the ball back to score the final play before the kneel down was an interception thrown by Freeman with 12 seconds left which was returned for 6 yards by Boley to the Giants 30 yard line there was 5 seconds left after that and if the Bucs caused a fumble they would have had likely at least 1 second on the clock which is time for one final play from the Giants 30 yard line, Schiano made the right call you play to win the game down by one score you keep fighting until there is no time left on the clock

He' was never successful doing it in 11 years at Rutgers (caused 2, one negated for offsides, and they lost both games), the college game where many players aren't all that good. Nobody has ever been successful in the NFL doing it since the Victory formation was designed, right after Joe Pisarcik did NOT kneel and tried to hand off and lost control of the ball and fumbled losing to the Eagles in 1978. Pisarcik's RB's did not stay in the backfield like they do today, {one on either side and one behind deep} otherwise Herman Edwards would never have taken that fumble to the house even back then. History tells me it is a futile play that doesn't ever result in pulling out miraculous victories. It's a desperation attempt that only gives a chance at cheap shots and the possibly ruining a players career. And invites retaliation down the road. Teams will be ready and easily fend off future attempts. The streak for the V formation securing the win will continue unabated. I don't care how many times Schiano's Bucs or other teams try it.

His D quit to let Giants score right near the end of the game, and they also didn't fire off on the ball when the Giants did a kneeldown right before halftime earlier in the game. His team didn't play fighting hard all 60 minutes. They took some plays off. He's a hypocrite.