Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One more reason why Sunday is a must win for the Colts....

NewColtsFan

.... and that is this.... our 2nd game vs. the Jags later in the season is on a Thursday night.

So, we play at home that Sunday... then we have almost no time up to rest, heal or practice.

We'll rest Monday... have two light practices Tuesday & Wednesday and fly Wednesday night to play Thursday. That's it.

We've got the hardest scenario. To play and then fly 3 days later to play on the following day.

Brutal. That game will be especially hard to win, no matter how bad J'Ville may turn out to be.

Honestly, I've had that game pegged as a Colts' loss since the schedule came out.

So, we must win Sunday. Must. Win. Sunday. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Must. Win. Sunday.

EDIT-NOTE: Sure wish this system allowed the poster to correct errors made in the header!

Darn! Drat!! Uuggh!

:bored::facepalm: :slaphead:

Every division game should be looked at as a must-win. In any case, I think the Colts have this one. If they lose, however, it will only create more pressure by the time that second game comes around. And pressure is just not good.

How far down the list of tie-breakers is division record? For a divisional tie (which is unlikely), it's probably the first one, huh? For a wild card tie, it's probably way down the list.

I'm not overly concerned with what this game means in the standings. I don't expect us to make the playoffs (not impossible, but unlikely). But it would suck if we failed to take care of business at home against a pretty sorry divisional opponent, and that cost us a playoff spot or division title. Like I said, though, it's unlikely that we finish in a tie with the Texans this season.

How far down the list of tie-breakers is division record? For a divisional tie (which is unlikely), it's probably the first one, huh? For a wild card tie, it's probably way down the list.

I'm not overly concerned with what this game means in the standings. I don't expect us to make the playoffs (not impossible, but unlikely). But it would suck if we failed to take care of business at home against a pretty sorry divisional opponent, and that cost us a playoff spot or division title. Like I said, though, it's unlikely that we finish in a tie with the Texans this season.

True, but sometimes life is stranger than fiction. I think the teams for sure heading to the playoffs in the AFC this season are the Chargers, Ravens, Patriots, and Texans. That leaves room for 2 more teams, maybe the Broncos, maybe the Jets, but I don't think multiple teams will come out of the West this year. I'm not a huge believer in the Bengals yet and the Bills will probably revert to their old selves despite Spiller's current dominance. That leaves the door partially open. I would think, the Colts, however unlikely, could still contend with one of those two spots by making sure they beat the Jaguars and Titans twice, though it would prove to be a very difficult task.

a tie for the wildcard goes with your conference record i believe to break the tie (dont quote me on this lol)

True, but sometimes life is stranger than fiction. I think the teams for sure heading to the playoffs in the AFC this season are the Chargers, Ravens, Patriots, and Texans. That leaves room for 2 more teams, maybe the Broncos, maybe the Jets, but I don't think multiple teams will come out of the West this year. I'm not a huge believer in the Bengals yet and the Bills will probably revert to their old selves despite Spiller's current dominance. That leaves the door partially open. I would think, the Colts, however unlikely, could still contend with one of those two spots by making sure they beat the Jaguars and Titans twice, though it would prove to be a very difficult task.

The Chargers are never for sure. They'll start napping soon.

I was not making my post in a context of making the playoffs, so tie-breakers, or anything close to that was not my intention....

But there are a number of games that are clearly more winnable than others.... and this week's game is one of them.

The Colts can not afford to miss an opportunity like this. We don't have enough games like this on our schedule.

Of course every game is a 'must win'.... but some games are more winnable, and this is one of them. And the next one AT J'Ville in early November is going to be much, much harder to win.

That makes this game very important for the Colts....

Playoffs???? Playoffs???

jim-mora.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.. :D

Seriously, right now, a win is icing on the cake. The main focus right now is to keep on improving each week, establishing continuity, and gaining valuable experience. The Colts should win this game, but as always, anything can happen on any given week. As long as they improve, that is a win in my book.

.... and that is this.... our 2nd game vs. the Jags later in the season is on a Thursday night.

So, we play at home that Sunday... then we have almost no time up to rest, heal or practice.

We'll rest Monday... have two light practices Tuesday & Wednesday and fly Wednesday night to play Thursday. That's it.

We've got the hardest scenario. To play and then fly 3 days later to play on the following day.

Brutal. That game will be especially hard to win, no matter how bad J'Ville may turn out to be.

Honestly, I've had that game pegged as a Colts' loss since the schedule came out.

So, we must win Sunday. Must. Win. Sunday. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Must. Win. Sunday.

EDIT-NOTE: Sure wish this system allowed the poster to correct errors made in the header!

Darn! Drat!! Uuggh!

I feel you're pain dude.. Now repeat after me (Omio-Grekiona) (Omio-Grekiona) (Omio- Grekiona).......

although i see us winning this game this weekend, im not to concerned about it. Colts are not expected to win anymore then 3 or 4 games this year anyway right? all im really looking at is how Luck handles different blitz packages, and how he handles the division match ups. honestly though i can see him going 3-3 against the division this year. sorry but i dont see Houston playing their starters the final week of the season as they will already have their seed locked up. and they can beat tennessee atleast once.

This week though

Indy - 34

Jax - 17

Playoffs???? Playoffs???

jim-mora.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.. :D

Seriously, right now, a win is icing on the cake. The main focus right now is to keep on improving each week, establishing continuity, and gaining valuable experience. The Colts should win this game, but as always, anything can happen on any given week. As long as they improve, that is a win in my book.

I think this train of thought--albeit meant in fun--couldn't be more appropriate. I think talk of playoffs at this point in the season (or at all for this young team) is very premature. We should all be prepared to not make the playoffs for a while. It could be 2...3...4 or more seasons before we make it back. Us "old timers" remember back to the pre-Manning days when it was a struggle to make it thru the season, and there were intermittent appearances in the playoffs, only to have the season end too early. Who remembers the pass dropped in the end zone that would have put the Colts in the Super Bowl in the 1996 playoffs vs the Steelers?

Our time is coming. It may not be this season; it may not be next season. But it's coming. We take what we can get. Right now, let's focus on one game at a time, wear our jerseys, our lucky socks, our blue and white face paint, and worship our blow-up Blue in the front yard. Football is meant to be fun--and I, for one, am going to have fun! Cheer for the wins, and cheer HARDER at the losses.

I'm Aaron, and I approve this message.

I've always wanted to see a team sweep their division and lose their other 10 games to see what type of uproar that would cause... With people complaining that they beat all their division teams, and should be division champs.

It would probably be akin to the year the Seahawks got into the playoffs with a losing record. I mean, somebody's got to win the division, right? Lol but yeah that would cause quite a bit of an uproar.

It would probably be akin to the year the Seahawks got into the playoffs with a losing record. I mean, somebody's got to win the division, right? Lol but yeah that would cause quite a bit of an uproar.

It would be similar to that.. There would be even more of an uproar if that 6-10 made the playoffs and was hosting a 10+ win team.

I guess it would nearly take the division champ to finish 6-10, the 2nd & 3rd place teams finishing in the 4-12- 3-13 range with the last place team at 3-13 to 0-16. The Seahawks would be the closest thing to that, even though I think they 4-2 in their division that year.

I agree with most regarding the fact that this is a must win game (divisional opponent) because the GB game will be a tough one to win - I have it down as our only home loss. Starting out 2-2 with both losses coming against NFC opponents won't hurt us, starting out 1-3 with an AFC South loss will hurt us. We will have played 4 divisional games by the time we play Hou for the first time. An ideal situation would have us at 4-0 against the South by that time, that starts with the Jags. This young team is learning how to win - there will be ugly wins this year, but they will be wins nonetheless. To compete for a winning record and possible WC spot while continuing to improve is a bonus. Our schedule sets us up nicely as Hou comes off of a brutal stretch of 3 straight road games before they play us for the 1st time. If we are 7-6 and 4-0 in the South when we play Hou, then we'll be set up nicely (think 2010 season).

I think this train of thought--albeit meant in fun--couldn't be more appropriate. I think talk of playoffs at this point in the season (or at all for this young team) is very premature. We should all be prepared to not make the playoffs for a while. It could be 2...3...4 or more seasons before we make it back. Us "old timers" remember back to the pre-Manning days when it was a struggle to make it thru the season, and there were intermittent appearances in the playoffs, only to have the season end too early. Who remembers the pass dropped in the end zone that would have put the Colts in the Super Bowl in the 1996 playoffs vs the Steelers?

Our time is coming. It may not be this season; it may not be next season. But it's coming. We take what we can get. Right now, let's focus on one game at a time, wear our jerseys, our lucky socks, our blue and white face paint, and worship our blow-up Blue in the front yard. Football is meant to be fun--and I, for one, am going to have fun! Cheer for the wins, and cheer HARDER at the losses.

I'm Aaron, and I approve this message.

I don't expect us to make the playoffs. But if we win enough games, then we will.

;)

Darn! Drat!! Uuggh!

NCF....You can be confident about this week....

The Jax men can always run the ball..and they are usually good vs. the run..

but we played better than the score last week...We were a double deflection away form winning 20-6

The O-line situation is a little more stable this week....T. Essex has a week to get settled..

Its NOT our rookies' first home game......

No Freeney/.no Collie...no Angerer...or Sam Satele.....that's reason for concern

But the Luck to Avery/Reggie/Coby pipeline should continue almost unchecked.

.....and I'm thinking our secondary is now better than theirs.

This game is a big for morale with so many new players going into the bye week

divisional games are must win...especially because we are still in a weak division.

Jacks always play us tough.

We get an early lead on them and they are too conservative to catch up.

Texans are the team to beat and even that is possible (on any given sunday)

We can get a wild card if we're lucky.

We have stopped the run for a game. I'm going to consider that problem solved until someone breaks a buck fiddy off on us (drew?)

I really do see a path to the playoffs....we have to get healthy....Angerer, Freeney etc..

I know I'm being optimistic...but

Even if we lose at NYJ, NE, Detroit and at home to Green Bay...

Can we beat Jax (0-2) and Tennessee (0-2) twice, Cleveland (0-2), Miami (1-1), and Buffalo (1-1)?

with Buffalo, Miami and Cleveland ALL home games??...

'casue if that's possible that puts us us at 8-5 after 13 games...

(The final three are KC and Houston twice)....and we'd need one...of those 3.... to be 9-7

collie says he is fine but still cautious because of last week how he felt good then towards the end of the week not so good. so he still taking it day by day this week but he says he's fine

Both Collie and Justice have to pass neurological exams today before receiving final clearance to play.

"Pagano said it’s likely that center Samson Satele (knee) and guard Mike McGlynn (knee) are likely to play.

Outside linebacker Dwight Freeney (ankle) and guard Joe Reitz (knee) have not practiced and are not expected to play.

Pagano confirmed today that Reitz has undergone arthroscopic surgery. The team is targeting a post-bye, Oct. 7 return for the Green Bay Packers game for Reitz and linebacker Pat Angerer (foot)." - IndyStar today

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120921/SPORTS03/120921027/Indianapolis-Colts-Austin-Collie-still-cautious-return-game-action

collie says he is fine but still cautious because of last week how he felt good then towards the end of the week not so good. so he still taking it day by day this week but he says he's fine

Both Collie and Justice have to pass neurological exams today before receiving final clearance to play.

"Pagano said it’s likely that center Samson Satele (knee) and guard Mike McGlynn (knee) are likely to play.

Outside linebacker Dwight Freeney (ankle) and guard Joe Reitz (knee) have not practiced and are not expected to play.

Pagano confirmed today that Reitz has undergone arthroscopic surgery. The team is targeting a post-bye, Oct. 7 return for the Green Bay Packers game for Reitz and linebacker Pat Angerer (foot)." - IndyStar today

http://www.indystar....urn-game-action

Thanks HC....

That would also suggest that Freeney might be ready to go get Aaron Rodgers after no play in week 3 and the bye week...

Sam Satele coming back is very significant this week....we all saw those ginger 'snaps' to the QB last week

How optimistic, esmort

LOL

I guess I am a pessimist ... lol I would love it if we some how made the playoffs ... I would also love to win the lottery. Anyone who thinks we have a real shot at making the playoffs this season needs to take off the rose colored glasses, or they are going to be very disappointed. Like someone said in an earlier post ... this year a successful season = continued improvement each week.

Yes when the jags were coached by Del Rio and we had Manning at qb and Tom Moore at OC they played us tough. We have a new head coach, new scheme, new players. The same can be said for the Jags. I don't really think the past games really mean anything. All I know is that MJD is a good player and there kicker is a thorn that I still feal since the 04 loss to his leg.

I expect a good game and I hope we win, but it will be close not because each team "knows" eachother. Its because both teams are in rebuild mode and trying to find there way. Its a winnable game and I will feel better going into bye week at 2-1. But playoff talk is way premature at this point. Give it time, we will get there. Just not this year.

I look forward to the team improving this week over last week.