Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Glenn Dorsey and Tyson Jackson

I took a look at their contracts, and they are both FA next year.

they havent been the impact players the chiefs hoped for, but to be honest i havent really seen any KC game in a long time. What do you guys think of them? has anyone seen them play? Do you think any of those 2 guys could make an impact on the team if they are brought here with Chuck next offseason?

they were both highly touted DT/DE coming ouf the draft.

I think the Chiefs have got what they drafted when it comes to Dorsey, Dorsey averaged 3.4 tackles in 52 games in college playing DT compared to 3.7 per game in the NFL playing DE in 64 games. Im not a fan of moving players from there natural position in most cases

I took a look at their contracts, and they are both FA next year.

they havent been the impact players the chiefs hoped for, but to be honest i havent really seen any KC game in a long time. What do you guys think of them? has anyone seen them play? Do you think any of those 2 guys could make an impact on the team if they are brought here with Chuck next offseason?

they were both highly touted DT/DE coming ouf the draft.

Jackson isn't a free agent until 2014, but you'd think Dorsey would draw some interest for our scheme. There is a pretty good list of 2013 free agents that are capable DE/DT types, and I suspect we'll pursue one, re-sign Moala or both. Our needs will be pretty fluid until the second half of the year when we get a better evaluation of what pieces should add and subtract. I'd favor re-signing Moala to a fair deal as a rotational 5 tech, and draft one of the big bodied studs with some athleticism that are in this draft class - to develop in the Ngata role.

Jackson isn't a free agent until 2014, but you'd think Dorsey would draw some interest for our scheme. There is a pretty good list of 2013 free agents that are capable DE/DT types, and I suspect we'll pursue one, re-sign Moala or both. Our needs will be pretty fluid until the second half of the year when we get a better evaluation of what pieces should add and subtract. I'd favor re-signing Moala to a fair deal as a rotational 5 tech, and draft one of the big bodied studs with some athleticism that are in this draft class - to develop in the Ngata role.

I read that Jackson took a paycut last season so his contract runs up this year

but overall id agree, resign moala and draft with our 1st pick a future stud.

get a T(one big name should be there) in FA, and probably a nickel corner or a OLB like Connor if freeney is not resigned and Connor is not resignd either by the texans...which may happen considering they drafted mercilus ang got brooks from last draft.

For what it's worth, here are last year's Free Agent Tackles.... plus, their rank as a FA done by Pro Football Weekly.

Eric Winston Texans 32nd overall FA went to Chiefs

Demetress Bell Bills 50th overall went to Eagles

Jared Gaither Chargers 54th overall stayed with Chargers

Levi Brown Cards 79th overall stayed with Cards

Marcus McNeil Chargers 100th overall injured/retired

That's it folks. So, if you're counting on some top tackle to hit FA, don't hold your breath. It rarely happens. The position is so hard to fill that teams make sure to sign their best players before they hit FA. Filling needs through FA is easier said than done.

This is why I want to use our 1st round pick on an OT. Get 'em young, get 'em talented, get healthy, and get 'em cheap!

Protect Andrew with top talent. Feel your need for a guard with a FA. And this coming year, the FA list for guards does not look great.

All of our problems will not be solved in one more year. All our needs will not be filled in one more year. This is a complete rebuild and it will take time......

For what it's worth, here are last year's Free Agent Tackles.... plus, their rank as a FA done by Pro Football Weekly.

That's it folks. So, if you're counting on some top tackle to hit FA, don't hold your breath. It rarely happens. The position is so hard to fill that teams make sure to sign their best players before they hit FA. Filling needs through FA is easier said than done.

This is why I want to use our 1st round pick on an OT. Get 'em young, get 'em talented, get healthy, and get 'em cheap!

Protect Andrew with top talent. Feel your need for a guard with a FA. And this coming year, the FA list for guards does not look great.

All of our problems will not be solved in one more year. All our needs will not be filled in one more year. This is a complete rebuild and it will take time......

Certainly true that the elite Tackles (particularly LT) will be franchised or re-signed by their current teams (Clady, Long etc), but the list of starting tackles expected to be free agents in 2013 is a whole lot longer than your list above from last year, and odds are that a few high end LT/RT's that might not be re-signable for current teams with cap constraints. In fact, Eric Winston would be a Colt in 2013 if he was a cap casualty one year later than he was. I don't object at all to a first round guard or tackle if the right one is available on our board - that is always the preferred method over time - but never has it made as much sense for the Colts to pay market value for proven OL talent as it does right now. There is no exact formula, but I don't expect our front office to pass on proven vets this off season with a hope that their draft board falls according to need - especially not with a young QB that is ready to win now and therefore makes good use of the money with immediate wins.

Nevertheless, Demetress Bell will with a good amount of likelihood hit free agency again i 2013. The demand for Bell in 2012 wasn't great at all - which was a bit surprising - and the Eagles snatched him when Jason Peters got hurt.

The numbers might say that Bell got a 5 year deal worth 35 million, but in reality it's an one year deal worth 3,25 million. Nothing of Bell's contract is guaranteed beyond 2012, which is also the period for which Jason Peters is out. The Eagles are free to cut him before the 2013 season.

However, 2013 is cheap (1,2M + 100k workout bonuses) in Bell's contract so the Eagles could opt to keep him as insurance.

Surprisingly, King Dunlap has beaten out Bell in Eagles starting lineup. I guess Howard Mudd didn't see the fit. But Dunlap pulled a hamstring against the Ravens and Bell replaced him - and played really well. Bell will probably start at LT week 3.

Bottomline, I would really like to see Grigson and the staff go after Bell if he becomes available. He would be a massive improvement at RT. Given that there wasn't much of a market for him in 2012, he could come relatively cheap - well under the 5,5 million that Winston got from KC (really the mark for RTs as Winston is probably best in the NFL).

Nevertheless, Demetress Bell will with a good amount of likelihood hit free agency again i 2013. The demand for Bell in 2012 wasn't great at all - which was a bit surprising - and the Eagles snatched him when Jason Peters got hurt.

The numbers might say that Bell got a 5 year deal worth 35 million, but in reality it's an one year deal worth 3,25 million. Nothing of Bell's contract is guaranteed beyond 2012, which is also the period for which Jason Peters is out. The Eagles are free to cut him before the 2013 season.

However, 2013 is cheap (1,2M + 100k workout bonuses) in Bell's contract so the Eagles could opt to keep him as insurance.

Surprisingly, King Dunlap has beaten out Bell in Eagles starting lineup. I guess Howard Mudd didn't see the fit. But Dunlap pulled a hamstring against the Ravens and Bell replaced him - and played really well. Bell will probably start at LT week 3.

Bottomline, I would really like to see Grigson and the staff go after Bell if he becomes available. He would be a massive improvement at RT. Given that there wasn't much of a market for him in 2012, he could come relatively cheap - well under the 5,5 million that Winston got from KC (really the mark for RTs as Winston is probably best in the NFL).

Bell makes sense to me too, and its hard to see him not available unless there is a glitch in Peter's recovery. There is a good list of tackles overall, so Grigs will have options.