Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Upcoming Texans Vs Denver

bayone

what Falcons exposed & texans can use

The Falcons had some success, especially in the second half, throwing against the Broncos' base defense.

To do that, they simply lined up in a heavier formation — two tight ends or two backs — to look as if the odds would say a run was coming and then have quarterback Matt Ryan drop back and throw in early-down situations.

On the Falcons' fourth play from scrimmage, Ryan hit fullback Jason Snelling for a six-yard gain against the Broncos' base defense and later had a 14-yard completion to Tony Gonzalez against the base defense on the same drive.

In the second quarter, Ryan had back-to-back completions to wide receiver Roddy White against the base defense for eight and seven yards, respectively, on first- and second-down plays.

Offensively the thinking is to put the Broncos linebackers, particularly middle linebacker Joe Mays, into coverage if possible and get safety Rahim Moore into a matchup situation at times, too.

It comes to light because the Texans happen to have a guy who faces plenty of base defenses and gets plenty of yards week to week in running back Arian Foster. Since the start of the 2010 season, Foster leads the league in yards from scrimmage at 138.2 per game.

While teams have used their tight ends more and more to attack down the field around the league, a running back that can make plays in the passing game in and around the line of scrimmage can be a reliable way to keep drives going.

re:Texans RB Arian Foster can challenge Broncos in variety of ways - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21574370/texans-rb-arian-foster-can-challenge-broncos-variety#ixzz26uJyWna2

Over the next four games the Broncos will face the top three defenses in the league, starting with No. 1 Houston on Sunday. The Patriots are No. 2, and the Chargers are No. 3.

Read more:Inside the game: For Broncos defense, good has to be better - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21576484/inside-game-broncos-defense-good-has-be-better#ixzz26uLNFfNW

I think the Broncos have to find a way to beat the Texans and then Raiders at home in game 4. If they take care of their home games, they can afford a back-to-back road loss stretch at the Pats and Chargers and still be 3-3 with a chance in their division. If they go 2-4, the wild card is the best they can hope for.

Both the teams will rely on their running games to control tempo in the game. Peyton should rely on his running game more. His no huddle should work better because he is at home.

It's going to be hard, but if the Denver offense wants to get going they have to establish the run. Without it they will have problems all day. The objective should be keeping the offense on the field. The Texans should get prepared to do what they always do...pass early, take the defense off-guard, change things up, run to set up play action, and get the ball to the backs and TEs in the flats and on screens to eventually create more opportunities downfield.

Here are Texans some stats

Who's hot: After two weeks, Houston leads the league in three major defensive categories: average points allowed (8.5), average yards allowed (196.0) and average pass yards allowed (124.0). That group, coached by former Broncos coach Wade Phillips, is led by linebacker Brian Cushing and defensive end J.J. Watt.

Injury report: With defensive end J.J. Watt back from his elbow injury, the Texans are remarkably healthy entering Week 3.

--------------------------------------------------

Texan run game so good dont have to throw

There is little to complain about with the Texans after two weeks. So to nitpick: Quarterback Matt Shaub and the passing game have taken a back seat & only 1 TD to Andre of course

More on their run game in article

Read more:Denver Broncos eyeing ... the Houston Texans - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpos...s#ixzz26wKeAUGS

http://www.denverpos...-houston-texans

Who's hot: After two weeks, Houston leads the league in three major defensive categories: average points allowed (8.5), average yards allowed (196.0) and average pass yards allowed (124.0). That group, coached by former Broncos coach Wade Phillips, is led by linebacker Brian Cushing and defensive end J.J. Watt.

Well, if you are going against Ryan Tannehill in his first game, and then scaredy cat Blaine Gabbert in the second game, it is not far fetched to extrapolate that your defensive category numbers with a good defense can be inflated.

Well, if you are going against Ryan Tannehill in his first game, and then scaredy cat Blaine Gabbert in the second game, it is not far fetched to extrapolate that your defensive category numbers with a good defense can be inflated.

True Tannehill is untested, but the Mia offense put up 35 points on the Raiders . . . so Mia's O does have something to say for itself . . .

true , but they showed it last year that their d is a force

True we played teams below us in talent, but as stated Miami put up 35 the next week and we held the Jags to the lowest total yardage in franchise history.

True Tannehill is untested, but the Mia offense put up 35 points on the Raiders . . . so Mia's O does have something to say for itself . . .

Intensity was lacking in game 1 for the Dolphins, IMO and since the Chargers put up 22 points on the Raiders, does that mean anything??? It is a week to week game in the NFL anyway. One looks like a loser on a Sunday and a world beater the next Sunday.

Last year, the Dolphins were coasting along terribly till Reggie Bush called them out and then they went on a great run at the end of the year though Sporano was still fired.

True we played teams below us in talent, but as stated Miami put up 35 the next week and we held the Jags to the lowest total yardage in franchise history.

I can definitely see the Broncos having less than 300 yards totally. We will see how this game shapes up.

Advantage definitely goes to the Texans, IMO. Besides, if the Broncos squeak out by a FG, it would still be a win for them. In the NFL, a W is a W. No one really cares how it is obtained, even if the ref having Peyton on his fantasy team made it happen. :)

Honestly, I think this isn't even going to be a close game. Houston is a ball control, smash mouth offensive team, and very strong defensively, especially now that Watt is back this week. Now, I'm not saying that any team with Peyton isn't in the game, I just think that the Texans right now, are stronger on both fronts, and should be able to keep Manning off the field. I don't see the Denver D stopping the two human bowling balls in Foster and Tate. With the threat of Andre Johnson there and healthy, I think Houston wins this game fairly easily. However, if they let their guard down, even for a moment, Peyton will tear them up. They have played Peyton enough times to know him, so I don't think Kubiak will allow them to become complacent.

Houston by 10 or more is my thought this week...(I really hate saying this against Peyton, but I can't go with my heart this weekend.

Honestly, I think this isn't even going to be a close game. Houston is a ball control, smash mouth offensive team, and very strong defensively, especially now that Watt is back this week. Now, I'm not saying that any team with Peyton isn't in the game, I just think that the Texans right now, are stronger on both fronts, and should be able to keep Manning off the field. I don't see the Denver D stopping the two human bowling balls in Foster and Tate. With the threat of Andre Johnson there and healthy, I think Houston wins this game fairly easily. However, if they let their guard down, even for a moment, Peyton will tear them up. They have played Peyton enough times to know him, so I don't think Kubiak will allow them to become complacent.

Houston by 10 or more is my thought this week...(I really hate saying this against Peyton, but I can't go with my heart this weekend.

Good post but just wanted to point something out...JJ Watt has 8 tackles and 3 sacks already. He's also had several swatted balls, two of which led to INTs. He's been back since week 1, even with the injury! :D

I can see that happening because the Broncos' run D is not the Pitt. or Ravens kind to make it a close game, IMO.

Houston 27 Broncos 17 is my prediction

Good post but just wanted to point something out...JJ Watt has 8 tackles and 3 sacks already. He's also had several swatted balls, two of which led to INTs. He's been back since week 1, even with the injury! :D

Sorry, I thought I just read something that said he would be back this week...He impresses me every time I see him play..its like he's got a motor that just never stops. He's tore up everyone he's played against. I'm a die-hard Colts fan..but I give credit where credit is due..Watt is the real deal.

The Broncos are preparing for the chance that they will once again be without nickel cornerback Chris Harris Sunday against Houston.

Harris, who sprained his ankle on Sept. 9, participated in the stretching portion of practice with his teammates Wednesday, but did conditioning work rather than participate in individual drills

Read more:Broncos cornerback Chris Harris sits out again as Texans await - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21582484/broncos-corner-chris-harris-sits-out-again-texans#ixzz26wtV7D2b

Sorry, I thought I just read something that said he would be back this week...He impresses me every time I see him play..its like he's got a motor that just never stops. He's tore up everyone he's played against. I'm a die-hard Colts fan..but I give credit where credit is due..Watt is the real deal.

My friend u read my comment # 5 , with article link for reference

But this is what was written as I noted

Who's hot:

After two weeks, Houston leads the league in three major defensive categories: average points allowed (8.5), average yards allowed (196.0) and average pass yards allowed (124.0). That group, coached by former Broncos coach Wade Phillips, is led by linebacker Brian Cushing and defensive end J.J. Watt.

Injury report:

With defensive end J.J. Watt back from his elbow injury, the Texans are remarkably healthy entering Week 3.

so it depended on how one interprets that & I myself had interpreted the way u did

My friend u read my comment # 5 , with article link for reference

But this is what was written as I noted

Who's hot:

After two weeks, Houston leads the league in three major defensive categories: average points allowed (8.5), average yards allowed (196.0) and average pass yards allowed (124.0). That group, coached by former Broncos coach Wade Phillips, is led by linebacker Brian Cushing and defensive end J.J. Watt.

Injury report:

With defensive end J.J. Watt back from his elbow injury, the Texans are remarkably healthy entering Week 3.

so it depended on how one interprets that & I myself had interpreted the way u did

I knew I had seen that somewhere...thanks my friend!

I knew I had seen that somewhere...thanks my friend!

There is so many topics, so many comments of course its hard to lose track where something is or what u read what week sometimes, I myself often want to site an article link & post I posted in one topic in another but often cant remember where I put it

anyway , around 4 PM EST I must take care of other needs daily , so If I am not back on have a good rest of the day & night

& as I am Jewish may I wish u & all on these boards and out there around this world a happy holiday and New Year as it is one for my Faith

Intensity was lacking in game 1 for the Dolphins, IMO and since the Chargers put up 22 points on the Raiders, does that mean anything??? It is a week to week game in the NFL anyway. One looks like a loser on a Sunday and a world beater the next Sunday.

Last year, the Dolphins were coasting along terribly till Reggie Bush called them out and then they went on a great run at the end of the year though Sporano was still fired.

Yes some things are week to week as with many of the analysts on the tube . . . but as pedigree goes, the Houston defense was solid last year and if they are doing well this year it will be a tendency for many, and justifilibly so IMO, to state that Houston is picking up where they left off last year and are still a solid defense . . . and given that MIA put up 35 points on Oak, who as you indicated was able to keep the 2-0 charges to 22 points and perhaps not a total weak D in Oak, might be an indication that Mia's O is not as weak as some may think . . .maybe part of Mia's lack luster performance had to do with Houston's D . . .

Either way they have a solid proven pedigree and are leading the league presently in the aformentioned catagories, so for me, I don't mind if some say they have a solid D this year . . .

Yes some things are week to week as with many of the analysts on the tube . . . but as pedigree goes, the Houston defense was solid last year and if they are doing well this year it will be a tendency for many, and justifilibly so IMO, to state that Houston is picking up where they left off last year and are still a solid defense . . . and given that MIA put up 35 points on Oak, who as you indicated was able to keep the 2-0 charges to 22 points and perhaps not a total weak D in Oak, might be an indication that Mia's O is not as weak as some may think . . .maybe part of Mia's lack luster performance had to do with Houston's D . . .

Either way they have a solid proven pedigree and are leading the league presently in the aformentioned catagories, so for me, I don't mind if some say they have a solid D this year . . .

NO link as this was from last year, only 1 time in his coaching career has Phillips failed to turn a team around when hes the New DC,, not HC , that was a ways back , more importantly the teams usually got better each year at D for a # of years

Von Miller appears on injury report for first time , must have been a practice derived problem then

Miller has a hip issue

Other players listed on the Broncos injury report are:

CB Chris Harris (ankle) and guard Chris Kuper (forearm), ........did not practice;

safety Quinton Carter (knee) and Miller, ..................................limited;

wide receiver Brandon Stokley (shoulder) and tight end Joel Dreessen (ribs), .......full.

http://forums.colts....er/#entry291225

Von Miller appears on injury report for first time , must have been a practice derived problem then

Miller has a hip issue

Other players listed on the Broncos injury report are:

CB Chris Harris (ankle) and guard Chris Kuper (forearm), ........did not practice;

safety Quinton Carter (knee) and Miller, ..................................limited;

wide receiver Brandon Stokley (shoulder) and tight end Joel Dreessen (ribs), .......full.

http://forums.colts....er/#entry291225

Arrgggg, not Von! Hope it's not serious. And we need Kuper back very soon.

JJ Watts- a name you will hear every time you watch the Texans. This beast from the U. of Wisconsin in his second year will be Defensive Player of the Year and the Hall of Fame is makling room for this super star. I feel sorry for Peyton and his line better play for his life.

I think the Texans D is top 5 period, but on the Phins they put up 35 on ARGUABLY the WORST team EVER in the NFL in the Oakland raiders. The Raiders couldnt stop a a 80 yr old woman from scoring it seems.

what Falcons exposed & texans can use

The Falcons had some success, especially in the second half, throwing against the Broncos' base defense.

To do that, they simply lined up in a heavier formation — two tight ends or two backs — to look as if the odds would say a run was coming and then have quarterback Matt Ryan drop back and throw in early-down situations.

On the Falcons' fourth play from scrimmage, Ryan hit fullback Jason Snelling for a six-yard gain against the Broncos' base defense and later had a 14-yard completion to Tony Gonzalez against the base defense on the same drive.

In the second quarter, Ryan had back-to-back completions to wide receiver Roddy White against the base defense for eight and seven yards, respectively, on first- and second-down plays.

Offensively the thinking is to put the Broncos linebackers, particularly middle linebacker Joe Mays, into coverage if possible and get safety Rahim Moore into a matchup situation at times, too.

It comes to light because the Texans happen to have a guy who faces plenty of base defenses and gets plenty of yards week to week in running back Arian Foster. Since the start of the 2010 season, Foster leads the league in yards from scrimmage at 138.2 per game.

While teams have used their tight ends more and more to attack down the field around the league, a running back that can make plays in the passing game in and around the line of scrimmage can be a reliable way to keep drives going.

re:Texans RB Arian Foster can challenge Broncos in variety of ways - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpos...y#ixzz26uJyWna2

The amoeba defense thing works, i part, because they know Peyton wont run..

..a running QB kills that thing becaues a lot of guys are running backwards at the snap

I'd also try a direct snap to Magahee against the 'amoeba'

But if I'm Houston, I dont show him something similar to what he saw last week..

he knows Houston's personel MUCH better than he knew Atlanta's and he figured out Atlnata by the end of the game

Over the next four games the Broncos will face the top three defenses in the league, starting with No. 1 Houston on Sunday. The Patriots are No. 2, and the Chargers are No. 3.

Read more:Inside the game: For Broncos defense, good has to be better - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpos...r#ixzz26uLNFfNW

The numbers may indicate that right now but I'd rather face NE and SD than Pitt, Balt and SF

lets see where the Chargers defense ranks after they play Atlanta

The numbers may indicate that right now but I'd rather face NE and SD than Pitt, Balt and SF

Baltimore is hurting right now on D, especially with missing Suggs.

Pitt has NUMEROUS players out on D right now.

I agree 100% with the 49ers, they seem be a team on a mission so far this year.

As for the Pats D, we will see I opersonally been very HAPPY with them this year. (Last year they made bad qb's look like HOFers this year they making look like bad QB's so far.)

I could see this setting up as a trap game for Houston. Everyone is now jumping to conclusions and saying Peyton is done, so you know he's p :censored: ed right now

No way this is a trap game! I think there's mutual respect (and some fear?) on both sides.

The amoeba defense thing works, i part, because they know Peyton wont run..

..a running QB kills that thing becaues a lot of guys are running backwards at the snap

I'd also try a direct snap to Magahee against the 'amoeba'

But if I'm Houston, I dont show him something similar to what he saw last week..

he knows Houston's personel MUCH better than he knew Atlanta's and he figured out Atlnata by the end of the game

To bad he never played against their 3-4 but at lleast watched it last year, then again was against Painter, Orlovsky, or Collins

To bad Chargers didnt play them first, now they have time to prepare encase do same type of D

The Broncos had their full complement of defensive players back on the practice field Thursday as they continue to prepare for Sunday's game against Houston. (NOTE not Kuper I am sure )

Cornerback Chris Harris, who hasn't practiced since suffering a sprained ankle Sept. 9, is back on the field. He was limited to conditioning drills only on Wednesday.

The Broncos, who will not practice in pads this week, will be on the field until 1:15 p.m.

Read more:Cornerback Chris Harris, Peyton Manning's sense of humor return for Broncos - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21592593/cornerback-chris-harris-peyton-mannings-sense-humor-return#ixzz272cLgUE3