Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Inquired About Hasselbeck [Merge]

Phil J

I'm a little iffy on this. All it says is "Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that the Colts made inquiries regarding the availability of Matthew Hasselbeck, before he signed with the Titans." We made inquiries, I don't think it means we were necessarily interested. You could also say the Colts made inquiries about the availability of Terrelle Pryor, but there was no way that would happen. I'm sure the Colts probably made an inquiry about the availability of Asomugha, but that would never happen either. I'm still pretty confident that Manning will be ready to go by week 1

I'm a little iffy on this. All it says is "Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that the Colts made inquiries regarding the availability of Matthew Hasselbeck, before he signed with the Titans." We made inquiries, I don't think it means we were necessarily interested. You could also say the Colts made inquiries about the availability of Terrelle Pryor, but there was no way that would happen. I'm sure the Colts probably made an inquiry about the availability of Asomugha, but that would never happen either. I'm still pretty confident that Manning will be ready to go by week 1

I'm glad many of you guys think Manning will be ready week 1.

I'm usually "overly" optimistic, but this time my "gut" tells me Manning's neck isn't as good as we'd like. Its just my gut. NO proof of any kind. I had this same gut feeling the year Marvin was supposed to come back every week for like 10 weeks and we never saw him all year. When I look at everything I've seen and heard, my "gut" says Manning could miss a few games early.

I REALLY hope my "gut" is wrong. (tho it rarely seems to be)

I'm usually "overly" optimistic, but this time my "gut" tells me Manning's neck isn't as good as we'd like. Its just my gut. NO proof of any kind. I had this same gut feeling the year Marvin was supposed to come back every week for like 10 weeks and we never saw him all year. When I look at everything I've seen and heard, my "gut" says Manning could miss a few games early.

Unfortunately, I'm with you. I really hope I'm wrong, and Peyton's track record is pretty darn good, but my gut is saying he could be out for longer than we think. Usually it's just saying...FEED ME!!!

I was pretty upset that the front office waited so long to get Collins, but turns out they were already looking last month for someone.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/25/colts-inquired-about-hasselbeck-last-month/

That makes it look worse IMO. He signed with the Titans right after the lockout i believe, so if the Colts knew clear back then that Manning was in some trouble, why did they wait around for 4 weeks before finally getting Collins? It only took Collins about 4 days to agree to come out of retirement. It's a little hard for me to believe they looked into Hasselbeck actually, he was not going to be a backup. If true that they did ask about him, that makes me think they feel Peyton may miss a significant amount of time here.

Colts Inquired About Tennessee Titans Quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, A Source Told Espn Senior Nfl Analyst Chris Mortensen.

The Colts ended up signing Kerry Collins, luring him out of retirement. If Peyton Manning isn't ready to go in the regular-season opener, Colts vice chairman Bill Polian has stated Collins will be the starter.

The Colts made inquiries about the availability of Hasselbeck before he signed with Tennessee, knowing the medical uncertainty of Manning's condition needed its due dilligence.

Colts sources told Mortensen that although Manning is making some progress since having neck surgery and has maintained optimism, the team's hierarchy does not believe he will be ready when Indianapolis opens the season Sept. 11 at Houston.

My link

I srongly agree, like you i am optimistic as well but history is against us on this one. I dont expect him to play either. History shows us the longer you play your bound to miss a game I.E. Brett Favre. There are many other examples but you get my drift. Lets face it, Manning has been superman :superman: for 14 years, and especially with a injury like this one not to mention the lockout causing him to miss time with the medical staff he was comfortable with doenst help either. Imo I say he misses 2 games at most, just a guess though

If Manning does any practicing at all the week of the 1st game then I will think he is going to play, but if he does nothing that week then he will not be playing. I will just wait and see. I personally do not think its a good idea for him to play with anything less than a full week of practice. To much chance for further injury or a new injury. I would gladly sacrifice one game for a fully healthy and conditioned Manning the rest of the yr..

Truly

also how long ago was that Hasselbeck signing, in other words how far back were they really trying to get a true vet, & was it because they wanted a better backup only way back then or because they were worried wway back then and couldnt get others they looked at too like jake Delhome etc & said OK we finally are down to 2 wweeks , Collins , maybe we can get him out of retirement, was he a last choice , WE WILL NEVER KNOW

Guest BlueShoe

No offense to you Bayone as I appreciate everything you do around here, but I have two things to say about this:

1. I don't believe a word Mort has to say.

2. See number 1.

For the record, I don't have a side to take in this debate as I just don't care that much either way. I can see why the Colts did things the way they did and I can also see why fans might be upset with the way the Colts handled everything. To be perfectly honest, I just want to see some Colts football as this has been a long, long offseason.

Mort is not a real journalist, in my opinion. He is just a guy who likes to stir the pot and he is wrong on things all of the time. Yet for some reason no one ever seems to call him out on any of it.

I have said my peace. Now I will put the train back on track and return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

No offense to you Bayone as I appreciate everything you do around here, but I have two things to say about this:

2. See number 1.

For the record, I don't have a side to take in this debate as I just don't care that much either way. I can see why the Colts did things the way they did and I can also see why fans might be upset with the way the Colts handled everything. To be perfectly honest, I just want to see some Colts football as this has been a long, long offseason.

Mort is not a real journalist, in my opinion. He is just a guy who likes to stir the pot and he is wrong on things all of the time. Yet for some reason no one ever seems to call him out on any of it.

I have said my peace. Now I will put the train back on track and return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

My Friend, No offense at all , we all allowed an opinion here, thats fine, I was trying to follow up on the previous post in this thread by another member and in origional post start I always give links so one can judge c validity for oneself by the source or say if i have none to whhere something like this comes from, When its my opinion added in I note that ,

I also understand the Colts viewpoint on doing things thier way, mostly I agree sometimes not, I think right now we are all just tired of the offseason and things that may not have bothered us in the past maybe are now

I also agree I WANT SOME FOOTBALL< if this isnt the longest off season on record at least in way we all feel after the drudgery of the lockout , i would be amazed, It just was a drag from day to day due to said lockout and think u feel same way from way u say long long offseason

2. See number 1.

In this case, i don't believe Mort either. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Not sure why they would have thought that he would have ever been interested in coming here as a backup. It wasn't going to happen. I happen to think this was tossed out there, probably by Polian, in an effort to help control the damage the front office was taking for not getting another QB in here sooner. Even if they did look at him which i don't believe, it still took them entirely way too long to get on the phone to Collins.

Hasselbeck got three years, $20 million. Way out of our market. Vince Young got about $5.5 million for one year. Matt Leinart resigned for two years, $5.5 million. Word is he wanted to stay in Houston, but that would have been more up our alley, but you're still talking about a guy that hasn't shown very much in the NFL. Much better than Painter and Orlovsky, but still nothing to get excited about. And who's to say we didn't make a run at him? It came down to Seattle (back with Pete Carroll) and Houston, and he chose to stay with Houston, even though he had a shot at the #1 job in Seattle.

Anyways, much ado about nothing. Kerry Collins didn't want to go to training camp. And I don't think three weeks is going to make or break him or our ability to win with him. Either we'll be able to move the ball or not. Collins is a vet, and he's bounced around the league enough to be able to step in and contribute. Hopefully we don't need him, but if we do, this whole "THE COLTS SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS THREE WEEKS AGO!!!" outrage is a little overblown for my tastes. I generally agree, we should have address the #2 spot sooner, but realistically speaking, it's not the end of the world. I'm much more concerned about what it might possibility mean about Manning's availability than I about how our new vet quarterback fills in for him, if necessary.