Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton doesnt like to admit he was fooled

oldunclemark

..after the game..when asked if Atlanta had done anything at all that surprised him...Manning said simply 'no'

he took the blame (he's no Cutler) but he said that the mistakes were his and not coverage-related.

that's hard to belivee...Atlanta seemd to have a half dozen players in fake or dummy positins until 5 seconds

before the snap and clearly.....he didnt seem to expect the safetys to be where they were on the first two throws..

Maybe he takes pide in reading defenses and he'd never admit to being fooled by a defense

I GOT THESE PICTURES FROM THE BRONCOS FORUM:

Manning just had a bad game. I thought he played too fast without reading the coverage.

The first interception was a good play by William Moore (who was available when the Broncos drafted Darcel McBath) on a poor throw by Manning. That ball sailed without any zip.

Second interception:

13479461524424_f.jpg

Decker was wide open. Manning made a very poor throw and did not see the safeties rotating.

Third interception:

13479465925106_f.jpg

Dreessen and McGahee were wide open for short gains, it was on 1st down. Another very poor throw, this time trying to find Stokley down the field.

I'm sure Manning will look at the film and twist his neck in frustration. I bet he would like to trade those head-scratching throws for punts. 4 turnovers in the 1st quarter and the Broncos only lost by 6 points. It was the classic case of shooting yourself in the foot.

This looked eerily similar to Peyton in the early 2000 days in a playoff game. A Peyton that did not take checkdowns, tried to throw farther than what the D was giving him. Belichick capitalized and played his LBs at a greater depth knowing the Colts' O-line could not run vs their front in 2003 & 2004 playoffs. Even in the 2005 Pitt game, on 3rd & 2, he goes to Wayne deeper for an incompletion instead of Edge in the flat for a checkdown which would have made Vanderjagt FG much easier. But now, Peyton has the O-line to run. He flat out did not take what the D gave him in the first quarter, IMO. Peyton took the most number of checkdowns starting with the 2006 playoffs and that is when his playoff record improved considerably.

Peyton basically played like a gun slinger in the first half, ala Favre (without Favre's arm). Then he played like he is supposed to play, taking what the D gave him with the protection afforded.

One thing that little people have talked about in regards to Peyton's surgery showed up last night. My wife had this same exact neck fusion surgery years ago. While the pain is gone, she still cannot rotate her head to the left as much as she did before the surgery. The fusion itself limits the normal rotation of the neck. Nearly all of the defensive protection that Peyton was missing last night came from his left. I think that Peyton will have more and more difficulty detecting movement from that side in the defensive backfield, and his INT numbers will increase. I hope I am wrong. If Peyton compensates for this limited neck mobility, he will literally need to turn his body more to the left to see all of that part of the field, which will then totally mess up his mechanics. Time will tell...

His pride and joy in the NFL is reading defensive schemes and finding its weakness. No way he'll ever let a team know he was confused. Human nature to not accept failure at something you cherish doing. I do agree however that he was as confused as baby in a topless bar.

His pride and joy in the NFL is reading defensive schemes and finding its weakness. No way he'll ever let a team know he was confused. Human nature to not accept failure at something you cherish doing. I do agree however that he was as confused as baby in a topless bar.

I think he will be much better against Houston, a team he has faced twice a year..for some time..

..a lot of his strength comes from familairity with the defenders

it's worth mentioning that manning has never faced houston's new 3-4 scheme. kerry collins, however, has :)

ugh...that didnt go well....

I'm still confident because Peyton has faced San Diego many times and those now loom as 2 big games..

But the Houston game is bigger that ATL..because it carries tie-breaker baggage for later on

..that's the thrid of 3 big games in a row.....who made this schedule?? when do they get to play the raiders?? :rant:

Atlanta got the better of Peyton in the chess game whether he wants to admit to it or not. What Atlanta did defensively was very creative and exactly how you need to defense a qb as cerebrally gifted as Peyton. He should just tip his cap and hit the film room because I am sure other teams will study up on how Atlanta defensed him.

Peyton has always been "snippy" about any D that gets the best of him. Perhaps since you all were fans of his own team, you didn't see or hear the interviews with opposing reporters. His reaction after Atlanta was pretty much average of what I've seen over the years. You should have heard him after the last Charger's victory, it was almost comical.

Peyton has always been "snippy" about any D that gets the best of him. Perhaps since you all were fans of his own team, you didn't see or hear the interviews with opposing reporters. His reaction after Atlanta was pretty much average of what I've seen over the years. You should have heard him after the last Charger's victory, it was almost comical.

not a biased viewpoint or anything, especially now that he's in your division :)

not a biased viewpoint or anything, especially now that he's in your division :)

Honestly not - I was a Peyton fan when he was with the Colts as they were my second favorite team. Like his commercials. Don't want him to do well at all now - no mercy in the division!

But really... you should have heard his last conference call with the San Diego press, it was the last time we played the Colts in Indy. Thin skinned would be an apt description. :D

Honestly not - I was a Peyton fan when he was with the Colts as they were my second favorite team. Like his commercials. Don't want him to do well at all now - no mercy in the division!

But really... you should have heard his last conference call with the San Diego press, it was the last time we played the Colts in Indy. Thin skinned would be an apt description. :D

That was because the San Diego press Kevin Acee incited him before the 2010 game, I firmly believe that. He literally asked him if it was fair to say that the Chargers have had the best of him 5 out of the last 6 meetings or something like that. Peyton said I dont keep track of that and sounded indifferent. Of course, it is going to rub you the wrong way. The results speak for themselves, we all know that. Someone owning someone else is something the media and fans like to talk about.

But the Chargers did not play the Colts as often as a division rival did, or even the Patriots did. So, for someone to have 6 games over 5 years and make a blanket statement like that is not going to sit well with Peyton. Besides, I am pretty certain that Peyton remembers games with division rivals more often that he plays 6 games over 1 year versus 6 games over 5 years, so I remember him saying that he does not keep track of all that and it sounded indifferent. If it is on the schedule, Peyton will prepare for it and talk about what he has seen on film that particular year. But for Kevin Acee to bring up a record over 5 years was going to be treated non-chalantly because I do believe that a player, even as good as Peyton, is not going to keep track of record over 5 years. It would be different with the Pats because both the Colts and Pats kept finishing division winners year after year and we had an annual rivalry.

It is bigger on the Chargers' side because they have a positive record against Peyton Manning, 4 time MVP, and Eli Manning, 2 time SB MVP. It is a way for Charger fans to get back at the Mannings, for reasons we obviously know :). But unfortunately, the league nor the Mannings pay attention to that record because it becomes relevant only for 1 game every couple of years most of the time, and probably every 4 years in Eli's case. It might be a yearning on the Chargers' fans' and media side to want to be recognized but unfortunately, until the Chargers make the big dance, the Chargers are not going to get the same level of recognition. That is the factual truth.

Whether he truely feels that way or not, it's the smart answer.

What is he supposed to say? "You know reporter Joe, you know what you are right. The Falcons did things I haven't seen used. The combined multiple parts of various schemes in different downs and distances that really disguised what they were doing. Matter a fact, I didn't really know when they were running zone and when they were running man, and if they were running man who was covering who?"

Is he supposed to say something along those lines to invite future teams to explore that team in even greater detail.

What he said was honest. 3 bad throws into coverage...

Whether he truely feels that way or not, it's the smart answer.

What is he supposed to say? "You know reporter Joe, you know what you are right. The Falcons did things I haven't seen used. The combined multiple parts of various schemes in different downs and distances that really disguised what they were doing. Matter a fact, I didn't really know when they were running zone and when they were running man, and if they were running man who was covering who?"

Is he supposed to say something along those lines to invite future teams to explore that team in even greater detail.

What he said was honest. 3 bad throws into coverage...

You have a mixed agenda when you stand up in the post-game inetrview room..

You are spekaing to: 1.) Your team's fan base

2.) Your teammates..and coaches

3.) Your future opponents......

....You have to find a truth that isnt necessarily THE truth

Defenses will adjust to his weakened arm. Press coverage and stacking against the run more & more as they smell blood.

He is playing outdoors the rest of the season. More wabbly balls and Pouty Face to come.

I expect some hesitation to make some of those throws = more sacks.

His throws got stronger later in the game...

His late game pass that Jacob Tamme dropped was perfect..

..dont bet against Peyton

Defenses will adjust to his weakened arm. Press coverage and stacking against the run more & more as they smell blood.

He is playing outdoors the rest of the season. More wabbly balls and Pouty Face to come.

I expect some hesitation to make some of those throws = more sacks.

I don't understand how some Colts fans have such an agenda to bash the greatest thing this franchise has ever had in its presence.

Unbelievable.

I don't understand how some Colts fans have such an agenda to bash the greatest thing this franchise has ever had in its presence.

Unbelievable.

Thank you FJC. I couldn't have said it any better than you just did. Very poignant, simple, accurate, and truthful. Please take a bow my friend. :hat:

Unbelievable.

I have had a hard time figuring that one out myself. Thanks for saying what I've been feeling and wondering for many months now.

Show me an NFL quarterback that is okay with losing and I will show you a football franchise that will never win their division let alone a Championship. Manning wasn't disrespectful toward Atlanta and he was quite complementary toward Matt Ryan in his post press conference.

Oh, just for the record, I respect Philip Rivers as an elite QB and I sincerely believe that he will hoist a Lombardi Trophy very soon IMO. Peyton has a ton of respect for Philip as a field general don't forget that please. Thank you.

Show me an NFL quarterback that is okay with losing and I will show you a football franchise that will never win their division let alone a Championship. Manning wasn't disrespectful toward Atlanta and he was quite complementary toward Matt Ryan in his post press conference.

Oh, just for the record, I respect Philip Rivers as an elite QB and I sincerely believe that he will hoist a Lombardi Trophy very soon IMO. Peyton has a ton of respect for Philip as a field general don't forget that please. Thank you.

Some questions provoke a snippy answer and deserve a snippy response.

With that said, rarely if ever have I seen Manning disrespect anyone in a post game conference, whether that is his own coaches that have made horrible mistakes, his teammates that have made errors, or the opponent for any reason. Monday night he owned up to the throws, just as he did during the 3 game stretch of games where he had similar results... There were plenty of reasons he could have used as what some would call an excuse, but that didn't happen.

Some will attempt to point at the Steelers Playoff loss of him supposedly throwing the OL under the bus, but that wasn't the case.... "We had protection problems".. OL, RBs, QB, TEs, etc. If he had said our line had protection problems then they would be accurate but that simply isn't the case...

Examples of this snippiness would be nice to see.

Here is the transcript following that game.

QB-PEYTON MANNING (on the game) Sunday, November 28, 2010

"It is what it is. We know the situation going into the game. We just have to play better on offense. I thought the defense did a good job tonight, keeping them out of the endzone, making them settle for field goals. Offensively, (we) had a good drive to start the game and a good drive before the half, but besides that it was pretty tough sledding all night. San Diego did a good job, and I thought offensively we didn’t do a good job and I didn’t do a real good job.”

QB-PEYTON MANNING (on the offense) Sunday, November 28, 2010

"I feel like there are some areas we can improve across the board. Certainly we hope to get some guys back. There is some potential for that. I think everybody needs to play better. I need to play better. Our execution needs to improve. It is not one specific area. I think everyone needs to step it up a little bit.”

QB-PEYTON MANNING (on the San Diego defense) Sunday, November 28, 2010

"They are an excellent defense. They did a good job. They got after us tonight. They executed their defense better than we did our offense.”

QB-PEYTON MANNING (on the first interception) Sunday, November 28, 2010

"I kind of lost him there for a minute. A poor decision. Certainly the turnover backed up and let them run it in the endzone. That is something I have to avoid. That is a big swing and puts our defense in a tough situation. Poor throw, poor decision.”

QB-PEYTON MANNING (on the AFC South race staying the same) Sunday, November 28, 2010

"You are fortunate, certainly. Speaking from an offensive standpoint, we need to worry about the Colts. Certainly there are some things we can control, that is what we have to worry about. A tough game against Dallas next week. We need to regroup. This was not our day, our night, for sure tonight on offense. We need to bounce back.”

QB-PEYTON MANNING (on being one game over .500 this late in the season) Sunday, November 28, 2010

"It is disappointing when you lose, no question about it. We have lost three out of our last four. I think the real key is how we respond to it. We need to bounce back with a good week of practice this week. We are hopeful that we can get some guys back. The Dallas game has been somewhat of a marked date for a few guys. It would be nice to get some guys back, but if we don’t the guys that are in there, starting with myself, will have to play better on offense. I thought our defense did a great job today.”

Rarely if ever have I seen Manning disrespect anyone in a post game conference. There were plenty of reasons he could have used as what some would call an excuse, but that didn't happen.

"We had protection problems".. OL, RBs, QB, TEs, etc. If he had said our line had protection problems then they would be accurate but that simply isn't the case...

Exactly..No sabotaging coaches or team mates on the field here by #18 just taking full share of the responsibility for a loss to the Falcons. That sounds pretty admirable and like a real leader to me anyway.

I have had a hard time figuring that one out myself. Thanks for saying what I've been feeling and wondering for many months now.

Manning has many foibles and failures as a Colt. He hasn`t EARNED a Free Pass.

A Regular season wonder who won over 40% of his games against the worst 7-8 teams in the League.

Picked so many times as a TOP SB contender, yet one and done 7 out of 11 times, with a lifetime LOSING playoff record.

Not the least of which, what sort of DOG takes $26Million to rehab. That IMO, is the lowest such thing I have witnessed.

keep on wondering as the memories of all the #1 draft picks made to supply his LUV for stats, and the many memories of his Pouting linger on

ONLY for the rise of the Defense & Running game & Rex Grossman did he ever win a SB.

Of course I still enjoyed winning on Sundays, but at the same time watching our defenses was all to often painfull.

A Regular season wonder who won over 40% of his games against the worst 7-8 teams in the League.

Picked so many times as a TOP SB contender, yet one and done 7 out of 11 times, with a lifetime LOSING playoff record.

Not the least of which, what sort of DOG takes $26Million to rehab. That IMO, is the lowest such thing I have witnessed.

keep on wondering as the memories of all the #1 draft picks made to supply his LUV for stats, and the many memories of his Pouting linger on

ONLY for the rise of the Defense & Running game & Rex Grossman did he ever win a SB.

Of course I still enjoyed winning on Sundays, but at the same time watching our defenses was all to often painfull.

You're certainly entitled to your "opinion", as I am mine. I prefer to Focus on the multiple and many achievements of Peyton, as well as the many admirable and honorable things he's done both ON and OFF the field. Those of his caliber are few and far between.

I posted this the last time that this issue was discussed about rehab. It obviously still applies. Name calling is unacceptable when someone worked as hard as Peyton to come back.

BrentMc11

• photo-4412.jpg?_r=1333406907
  • 2377 post

• LocationBrownstown, IN

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:49 AM

snapback.pngthrowingBBS, on 25 August 2012 - 12:56 AM, said:

He completed 44% of his passes beyond 11 yards in 2010. Doubt if his arm is as good as it was then, probably never will be.

Sure was nice of him to take $26M from the Franchise to rehab! What a ....I do not like the fill in the blank reference to call Peyton Manning a 'name' for trying to come back from what was thought at the point to be 3 neck surgeries.....only to find out there was a 4th procedure.

I wish I had 26 million dollars when my 80 yr-old 'Pops' had a devastating head injury in 2002......to be told he would die....and then 'rehab' his way to 91 yrs- old this year. Rehab is one of the hardest things any person can go through...especially trying to walk....in Dad's case walk and talk.

Peyton busted his tail in rehab, and truth be told with the new CBA he worked as hard (or harder) than his teammates did. A world class athlete with his determination had 26 million reasons to work his 'tail' off.....just like my Pops :) Pops just wanted to live. Peyton Williams Manning wanted to play football the way he always has...at HOF level. Thinking back to the final press conference, he wanted that to be right here....with the Indianapolis Colts. Bottom line....rehab is WORK!

Edited by BrentMc11, 25 August 2012 - 09:51 AM.

BrentMc11

Edited by BrentMc11

ThrowingBBS,

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion naturally, but I find it strangely bizarre some people just wanna erase Peyton Manning's plethora of accomplishments completely from INDY or the NFL's existence. It's so childish and disrespectful. Of course, professional football is a team sport and no one ever wins a game completely on their own. However, to claim that Bears QB Rex Grossman lost that SB game more than the Colts actually won it is very shortsighted in my view. It was raining, the conditions were identical for both squads, and Peyton Manning and Co. made the necessary plays they had to in order to win a Lombardi Trophy in Miami in 2006. No one can dispute that fact.

Just because #18 wears a different uniform now and plays ball in another city, it will never make me sever ties or disown Peyton Manning personally in my eyes. He will always have my respect and admiration as a man and made man HOF field general. Nothing will ever change or distort that reality in a million years.

Just because #18 wears a different uniform now and plays ball in another city, it will never make me sever ties or disown Peyton Manning personally in my eyes. He will always have my respect and admiration as a man and made man HOF field general. Nothing will ever change or distort that reality in a million years.

Some didn't respect him when he was here, much less deserve a person, player, quarterback of his caliber on their favorite team.

Some didn't respect him when he was here, much less deserve a person, player, quarterback of his caliber on their favorite team.

Yes, you're right. I suppose that is true. Not every NFL fan believed Peyton Manning had achieved the pinnacle of Canton Greatness. But, I'm just glad that you, me, and the rest of my friends will never ever doubt Yoda's AKA Peyton Manning's phenomenal contributions to this league or Indianapolis as a whole. I :heart: #18 and I could care less if people make fun of me or not.

Yes, Andrew Luck is our new commander on the LOS gridiron, but that doesn't mean I dismiss or disregard previous GREATNESS either. I think my friends would agree with that statement right?

Nor has he ever asked for a free-pass or behaved in such a manner that would indicate he feels entitled.

In your haste to cherry-pick, I suppose you forgot the numerous (some even record breaking) comebacks against high-end teams. Like the then reigning SB champs in 2003, the Buccs had him beaten. He disagreed and set off to win what was to any reasonable person, an un-winable game.

Or the contests against the Pats, one of which ranked as one the histories greatest Conference championship games ever played.

Irsay inked the deal knowing what was up with Peyton. Let's not pretend Peyton pulled a $26 million dollar scam. As to the "pouting" comment.......that's just lame. Great competitors have fire, and that fire comes off to the ignorant fans as "pouting".

Ohhhh....so...only when the rest of the team finally followed suite and played like champs did we actually win a championship?

You see why you fail?

You think maybe that had something to do with all those 'One and done's'?

Considering that this league is driven by the most recent game film and not former milestone NFL accomplishments, it might be easy to see multiple interceptions and a less than tight spiral as a sign of a diminished skill set. I don't see it that way though. Peyton has been working his tail off to master a new playbook, establish timing with TE's, WR's, and RB's, and continue his rehab regimen duties. If anyone can knock off the rust and adapt it's Peyton.

Take superb care of him Denver...That's a precious and rare talent at your disposal...#18 won't disappoint or short change your city, franchise, or global fanbase EVER. :goat:

I have nothing to say to personal attacks of this nature. I'm fine with you not liking/appreciating Peyton as a player, but can you leave it at that please? It's completely unnecessary to call him pouty face. If you think he sucks, fine. I strongly and wholeheartedly disagree. But anything beyond that is distasteful and unwarranted.

Nor has he ever asked for a free-pass or behaved in such a manner that would indicate he feels entitled.

Or the contests against the Pats, one of which ranked as one the histories greatest Conference championship games ever played.

Great competitors have fire, and that fire comes off to the ignorant fans as "pouting"

Ohhhh....so...only when the rest of the team finally followed suite and played like champs did we actually win a championship?

You see why you fail?

And the Oscar for Best Smackdown Argument Of The Year goes to Ruksak. :lombardi::worthy::hat: What time and place do you deliver your acceptance speech at? Because I wouldn't miss this for the world. :lol:

First off, sorry mods. This doesn't really belong here, but I'm having a hard time finding things on the forum ever since the switch to this new format with all posts listed chronologically instead of by topic. Plus, I don't see a button to make new topics any more, so I waited until a topic came up that was at least somewhat related. Feel free to move this someplace where it more aptly belongs.

So anyway, I heard this interview on WFAN a couple days after the Broncos/Steelers game, and I thought some of the folks that hang out here might like to hear it:

http://nyc.podcast.play.it/media/d0/d0/d1/d1/d9/d6/dC/1196C_3.MP3?authtok=5561879208569896775_htFv72kKoFTvlsGFxoWU0BNbc&name=9-12%20Archie%20Manning&artist=Boomer%20Esiason%20and%20Craig%20Carton&stationID=62&configFile=config.xml&buttonColor=grey&buttonOverColor=blue&backgroundColor=#FFFFFF&guid=CA9D929134A2'

Hopefully that URL works. It works for me when I paste it into a web browser, but it is a really long URL.

First off, sorry mods. This doesn't really belong here, but I'm having a hard time finding things on the forum ever since the switch to this new format with all posts listed chronologically instead of by topic. Plus, I don't see a button to make new topics any more, so I waited until a topic came up that was at least somewhat related. Feel free to move this someplace where it more aptly belongs.

So anyway, I heard this interview on WFAN a couple days after the Broncos/Steelers game, and I thought some of the folks that hang out here might like to hear it:

http://nyc.podcast.p...id=CA9D929134A2'

Hopefully that URL works. It works for me when I paste it into a web browser, but it is a really long URL.

Awesome.. :thmup: Thank you so much for sharing. I LOVED it.

Unbelievable.

Ditto

I get sick of being attacked for standing up. Now, i'm a fiery fan, could I handle this people better? Probably, but after defending Peyton against some fellow fans, the media, and others.. I'm exhausted. After 2 years of it, i'm tired. Tired of being Politically correct, tired of possibly offending someone. So in effect, I push pretty hard back. Which shows.

Peyton is a Professional athlete and arguably the :goat:

That being said, those of us that know him well understand. Those who dont, probably never will and take his facial features or attitude the wrong way.

Thanks for sharing...

The only change was in adding a "Home Page" that lists the most recent posts regardless of topic. Underneath it all is the exact same forum you are used to. When on the home page, just click on "Forum" up on the menu bar. You will only see the home page when you first log in, or when you click on "home". Just posting in this thread should have brought you back to the forum. If you are still having a problem you should probably PM Maureen.

If you were that dissatisfied with Manning, the past 14 years must have been a nightmare for you. You have my sympathy. SO many torturous hours wasted in front of the tv. :sigh: I can only assume that you are comparatively new to the fold, because if rooting for Peyton made you so upset, rooting for the previous 20 years worth of QBs would have probably rendered you apoplectic. Ironically that would at least provide a logical explanation for what you are "throwing". I'm not sure what it is by the way, but I don't think it's "bBS".

Actually maybe it is now that I think about it.