Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can we close the roof all the time?

oldunclemark

This is hilarious.

If we had an open stadium, everyone would be wanting a dome. Right now, we have the best of both worlds.

To appease everyone (even further) why not open the window and leave the roof closed?

This is a great scenario. Get the effect of outdoors without the harmful shadows....

Have seen this several times and really liked it.

Don't know how people at north end like having a draft on the back of their necks for 4 hours, have to ask them about that....

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great scenario. Get the effect of outdoors without the harmful shadows....

Don't know how people at north end like having a draft on the back of their necks for 4 hours, have to ask them about that....

One of the games we went to last year was this exact scenario. :thmup:

"We" taxpayers did not pay one thin time for this roof. Uncle Jimmy footed the bill for it. Actually, it's prolly "We" season ticket holders that are paying back Uncle Jimmy for his investment.

He put in a lot of money to that stadium, but like most stadiums built in this country a majority of the staidum is publically financed through various taxes. Heck we tax payers are still paying taxes for the Hoosier Dome.

I've had season tickets for a while and I'm not really a fan of the roof being open.

Creates weird shadows and you lose some of the crowd noise as well.

My seats are never in the sun when it's open, but for those who do I bet it's freaking HOT!

If it was my choice it'd always be closed, but it's not a HUGE deal for me.

He put in a lot of money to that stadium, but like most stadiums built in this country a majority of the staidum is publically financed through various taxes. Heck we tax payers are still paying taxes for the Hoosier Dome.

But not the sliding roof, which is the topic here. That was an afterthought, and paid for by Irsay. (and ultimately the season ticket holders, TV contracts, etc). But not the taxpayers...

OBTW, Hoosier Dome was paid for YEARS ago. It cost about one tenth what the new stadium and expanded convention center cost.

Like to know where the money from continuing the taxes for that facility went. Prolly to CIB or Convention Board. Sure it was well spent, Indy is a preferred destination for a LOT of well paying conventions and sporting events nation wide. Good for business, good for Indy, good for all of us. Support our Colts, they get us national recognition...

Heck, we even drive from Madison County to Marion County to eat so we can pay the food tax and support our Colts (yeah, right).

Exactly, since it seems to be the North end zone people complaining most about the sun. If the roof were closed and window open they would then complain they were cold :)

OBTW, Hoosier Dome was paid for YEARS ago. It cost about one tenth what the new stadium and expanded convention center cost.

http://articles.southbendtribune.com/2006-10-29/news/26976513_1_rca-dome-lucas-oil-stadium-debt

The debt was supposed to be paid off by 2013, but because it has been refinanced several times and its term extended, those bonds won't be retired until 2021 Â? 13 years after the dome is razed and the Colts have moved into their new digs at nearby Lucas Oil Stadium.

http://www.wthr.com/story/5608237/city-still-owes-75-million-on-rca-dome?clienttype=printable

The city still owes about $75 million in principal on bonds related to the construction of the stadium, which opened as the Hoosier Dome in 1984. The original debt was supposed to be paid off by 2013, but refinancings have pushed that back eight years.

I wish I could go back in time and find the posts when we found out we were getting a new stadium.

People were crying for an open air environment!

I saw a TON of posts saying things like... "It's not football if it's not played in the elements!"

Do shadows count as being part of the "elements?"

Ever sat under a tree before?

Ever go outside and see that big yellow thing in the sky... it's called a SUN and sometimes it gets HOT!

I recently discovered that you can plan ahead for that big yellow thing. (tongue in cheek)

We have one of the most spectacular stadiums in the country and yet people still complain.

I love Indiana but I hate how spoiled people are!!

Next discussion... should we put a dome over the Indy 500 and only open it if the temp is hovering around 70?

I wish I could go back in time and find the posts when we found out we were getting a new stadium.

I saw a TON of posts saying things like... "It's not football if it's not played in the elements!"

Ever go outside and see that big yellow thing in the sky... it's called a SUN and sometimes it gets HOT!

I recently discovered that you can plan ahead for that big yellow thing. (tongue in cheek)

We have one of the most spectacular stadiums in the country and yet people still complain.

Next discussion... should we put a dome over the Indy 500 and only open it if the temp is hovering around 70?

I like the tongue in cheek comment.....and a nice first post with your opinion. It was well thought out and obviously not a "Floydian slip." Welcome!

I love seeing our stadium as we continue to build the monster....and if I need a shade tree, I have the best one over my deck!! :colts: :colts:

I see a lot of complaining about the sun. I understand that it gets hot (I'm a fair skinned red-head, I know...) but you can take measures to make yourself more comfortable in the sun. In fact, you've been told these very same things your entire life. Hydrate, use sun-block, wear a hat to keep the sun off your face, and it's really not going to kill you to get a $3.99 pocket fan/mister to keep yourself comfortable. These are all simple things one would do if working in the yard, or if you're at any other outdoor sporting event in the world. I was at a SF Giants game a month or so ago, and the sun was cooking and there was no breeze. But it was a gorgeous day with great views of the Bay, and I wouldn't have traded that for a dome for any price.

You know it's going to be hot if you're outside in Indiana in August/September. Prepare yourself and quit complaining. 1 o'clock games with the roof open when it's unbearably hot are maybe, maybe two or three games a year? That's what all this complaining is about?

Golly,

I didn't realize all you season ticket holders and attendees had such solutions to all the problems....

When you've been to 285+ Colts football games, then maybe you can tell me how to dress, use lotion, how much water to drink (at $4.50 a bottle), how big a hat to wear, and whether or not to take a parka into the stadium...

Oh, and how to dress, use lotion, drink liquids, how big a hat to wear, and whether or not to wear a parka when tailgating, too...

Our menu for sunday's tailgate is gonna be egg caserole, turkey bacon, assorted pastries and donuts, lots of finger foods (carrots, celery, cauliflower) with dip, chips with dip, fresh brownies, potatos au gratin, a little left over pulled pork from last week. Prolly grille some eggs to serve on warm, buttered English Muffins with bacon, cheese, and tomato. Liquid refreshements are BYO.....

Will be in the Blue Crew lot. C'mon down. Show us how it's done..we start cooking at 8:00.

Golly,

I didn't realize all you season ticket holders and attendees had such solutions to all the problems....

When you've been to 285+ Colts football games, then maybe you can tell me how to dress, use lotion, how much water to drink (at $4.50 a bottle), how big a hat to wear, and whether or not to take a parka into the stadium...

Oh, and how to dress, use lotion, drink liquids, how big a hat to wear, and whether or not to wear a parka when tailgating, too...

Our menu for sunday's tailgate is gonna be egg caserole, turkey bacon, assorted pastries and donuts, lots of finger foods (carrots, celery, cauliflower) with dip, chips with dip, fresh brownies, potatos au gratin, a little left over pulled pork from last week. Prolly grille some eggs to serve on warm, buttered English Muffins with bacon, cheese, and tomato. Liquid refreshements are BYO.....

Will be in the Blue Crew lot. C'mon down. Show us how it's done..we start cooking at 8:00.

That egg casserole sounds good right now!!!! Darn it is Friday! :)

i'm not going to the game, but i may well drive down for breakfast. i'll bring the bloody mary's :)

Golly,

turkey bacon? you should be ashamed

You ever open the windows around your pad on a nice day?

Yes, but not with a 220 lb. linebacker chasing me while I'm trying to find a receiver in the dining room shadows. That was one goofy shadow pattern on the field, trying to watch that game was like playing Where's Waldo

Yes, but not with a 220 lb. linebacker chasing me while I'm trying to find a receiver in the dining room shadows. That was one goofy shadow pattern on the field, trying to watch that game was like playing Where's Waldo

Its a wonder how all those teams that play outside manage. Anyway its Indiana, it'll be crap weather before long and we'll all miss the chance for an open window. I'd like to see how the lighting affects the game at field level.

I am pretty sure the exhaust from the cars makes the later a bad idea ;). In all seriousness I get and agree with your point.

Golly,

If I didn't have to drive through all of the road contruction on Highway 31, would consider being there. Appears to be a great menu!

• 5 weeks later...

Dropped pass this past weekend blamed on the shadow in the endzone.

I'll take the open roof win!!!!

Open the roof whenever you can and let it work to Indy's natural advantage!

it's just like playing in Denver is an advantage for the home team as they are used to breathing with 17% less oxygen!

Heck... the shadow is an advantage just like playing in the cold in Green Bay in January, or against the wind in Chicago!

I would figure out where the sun is going to be at different points in the game and then figure out when the shadow will be right there on the opposing teams goal line!